Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,744 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,848
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » The success of EQ advancement.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
142 posts found
  DavisFlight

Hard Core Member

3/28/13 12:16:07 PM#21
Originally posted by Lonzo

Why all these Quest games? With leveling by questing you are limited to just ONE way of leveling. Back in the days with EQ there where leveling groups everywhere in every dungeon and in every zone. It was just good old dungeon crawling. And the few quests seem very important and meaningful....

I miss those days...

Just about everyone who experienced them misses them. I liked having OPTIONS of where and how to level up. And ones that encouraged socializing and felt more immersive. Quests break immersion surprisingly easily.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 12:16:28 PM#22
Originally posted by Waterlily

Things like ventrillo have been very detrimental to the in-game community in games. They take people out of the game and put them inside a a bubble  that participates and communicates outside of the game world.

So what if it is outside of the game world. There is no community outside of a game?

Heck, many guilds are playing multiple games. Don't tell me you don't thnk they are small communities either.

Personally i don't really care about a one-game-one-server community. I don't play one game. None of my relatives or friends play only one game.

You don't mean a "community" .. you mean a "community only for one game world". There is a huge difference. The later .. i think is just irrelevant for me.

Quirhid

Elite Member

Correcting wrongs on the Internet...

3/28/13 12:48:04 PM#23
Originally posted by nariusseldon

You don't mean a "community" .. you mean a "community only for one game world". There is a huge difference. The later .. i think is just irrelevant for me.

[mod edit]

You either do not know what community means, you have a definition of your own or your next comment will be along the lines of "A true community is..."

Which is it? A, B or C?

EDIT: Sorry, I've had these conversations before and I have a good guess where this is going.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

3/28/13 12:59:45 PM#24
Originally posted by Quirhid

[mod edit]

You either do not know what community means, you have a definition of your own or your next comment will be along the lines of "A true community is..."

Which is it? A, B or C?

EDIT: Sorry, I've had these conversations before and I have a good guess where this is going.

How about a community in the game I am playing? Whether it's for one game or a hundred I don't think matters.  Well, it matters for those that like to argue.

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 1:02:23 PM#25

[mod edit]

Not a THING that I posted had anything to do with what you think a COMMUNITY is.

I was pointing out that the person should join a GOOD guild, not just any guild, a GOOD one...one that stays together beyond the "current" MMO and I did so by pointing out that mine had almost 100 people on at what time was it? 11:30AM ON A THURSDAY showing that if you have a good guild, you will NEVER BE WITHOUT A LEVELING GROUP.

[mod edit]

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 1:08:44 PM#26

[mod edit]

Why i play MMO at all?

- because they can be played like fun SP game?

- because i can PUG easily?

- because they are like co-op lobby games?

And yeah .. of course i game-hop F2P MMOs a little here and there. What do you expect? I want to play classic boring time-sink like UO or EQ? If MMOs are all like that, you think i will be here?

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 1:10:35 PM#27
Originally posted by JasonJ

I was pointing out that the person should join a GOOD guild, not just any guild, a GOOD one...one that stays together beyond the "current" MMO and I did so by pointing out that mine had almost 100 people on at what time was it? 11:30AM ON A THURSDAY showing that if you have a good guild, you will NEVER BE WITHOUT A LEVELING GROUP.

Glad i don't play games for community. I need to be on at 1130am on a thu for a gaming guild? I have a job & a family. Thank god not all guilds MMOs are like that.

Heck, even my ex-raiding guild in WOW is not that demanding (and i would only social after a while .. don't want to play a game like a job with commitment & schedule).

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 1:15:18 PM#28

Glad i don't play games for community. I need to be on at 1130am on a thu for a gaming guild? I have a job & a family. Thank god not all guilds MMOs are like that.

Heck, even my ex-raiding guild in WOW is not that demanding (and i would only social after a while .. don't want to play a game like a job with commitment & schedule).

What? Where did I say it was a guild that required people to be on at a certain time?

I swear, people on this site like to pull all kinds of weird things out of thin air...

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 2:05:24 PM#29

What? Where did I say it was a guild that required people to be on at a certain time?

I swear, people on this site like to pull all kinds of weird things out of thin air...

Whether it is required, or base on peer pressure is immaterial. Don't tell me you don't get pressure from your guild to "show up" or "save the raid" for the guild, and all sort of things you need to do for them.

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 2:19:17 PM#30

Whether it is required, or base on peer pressure is immaterial. Don't tell me you don't get pressure from your guild to "show up" or "save the raid" for the guild, and all sort of things you need to do for them.

Ahh I see, you have never been in a good guild before.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 2:24:26 PM#31

Define good. I was in one that was doing server first, or second .... progression guild. Too much work. Too much commitment. I was also in social guilds before .. just chatting and nothing else. I could have done that on MSN.

Wakygreek

Spotlight Poster

Reason is a necessity

3/28/13 2:42:03 PM#32
Originally posted by koboldfodder

Ah, but it wasn't mindless spawn camping.  In original EQ you had to group up to survive, dungeons were contested and there was even more action if you were on a PvP server.  Plus, the main part of that game was not the AA system it was the sense of community that existed because you were a part of something bigger rather than being the solo hero.

If you think EQ was nothing more than mindless dungeon grinding, you probably did not even play it.

100% this

The guy never played EQ.

110% this. I played the original EQ for years, I even went back recently to play and found that it was still a lot of fun. EQ is a perfect example of how community can make or break a game, 17 years and its still going strong? With some people still paying for subs. It comes down to this, EQ wasn't boring ... it all depended on whether or not you could find a group of people you were compatible with to enjoy the game in a friendly matter.

Theocritus

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 2:46:40 PM#33
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Why all these Quest games? With leveling by questing you are limited to just ONE way of leveling. Back in the days with EQ there where leveling groups everywhere in every dungeon and in every zone. It was just good old dungeon crawling. And the few quests seem very important and meaningful....

I miss those days...

Games evolve, most people need directions thats how life works these days. 

The best part of EQ and EQ2 in current days is still their AA system.

Except that now they made AAs so easy to come by that it trivialized the system......What made EQ great was you had to work long and hard for things and felt satisfaction when you achieved them.....

JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 3:40:23 PM#34

Define good. I was in one that was doing server first, or second .... progression guild. Too much work. Too much commitment. I was also in social guilds before .. just chatting and nothing else. I could have done that on MSN.

Seeing as how you defined a guild as "required time, peer pressure" you have never been in a good guild before. A good guild plays for FUN with EACH OTHER.

Progression, being social and everything else comes just from playing with people you actually like so THAT is first.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 3:58:07 PM#35
Originally posted by Wakygreek
Originally posted by koboldfodder

Ah, but it wasn't mindless spawn camping.  In original EQ you had to group up to survive, dungeons were contested and there was even more action if you were on a PvP server.  Plus, the main part of that game was not the AA system it was the sense of community that existed because you were a part of something bigger rather than being the solo hero.

If you think EQ was nothing more than mindless dungeon grinding, you probably did not even play it.

100% this

The guy never played EQ.

110% this. I played the original EQ for years, I even went back recently to play and found that it was still a lot of fun. EQ is a perfect example of how community can make or break a game, 17 years and its still going strong? With some people still paying for subs. It comes down to this, EQ wasn't boring ... it all depended on whether or not you could find a group of people you were compatible with to enjoy the game in a friendly matter.

nah .. i played EQ for one year.

Camping is boring. Community is just chat, chat and chat. And there was loot drama and "who get to kill what first" debate.

I am glad MMORP GAMES are no longer like that and we have choices.

If i want to make friends, i go onto a chat channel. I don't play games to do that.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 4:00:52 PM#36

Seeing as how you defined a guild as "required time, peer pressure" you have never been in a good guild before. A good guild plays for FUN with EACH OTHER.

I agree. Progression guilds are not "good". I quit after a while. Not that i don't like the people .. too much requirement.

And to be honest, no guild is "good" for me in your sense ... if i like someone and be friend with, we don't have to be in the same guild, or even playing the same game all the time. I will just put the person on my friend list.

I don't need a guild to play for fun with each other.

waynejr2

Hard Core Member

RIP City of Heroes!

3/28/13 4:02:37 PM#37
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I miss those days...

Games evolve, most people need directions thats how life works these days. 

The best part of EQ and EQ2 in current days is still their AA system.

It is amazing that more games don't support AA systems.  A real shame.

micona

Apprentice Member

3/28/13 4:30:03 PM#38
Originally posted by Quirhid
Mindless grind and spawncamping? -No thank you.

Grinding was fun back then, it's why you could level at a snail pace and no one thought it was a problem.

It took the first person to max level months, someone said 9 months a while ago, I think that's likely accurate.

Grind in Everquest was a bit like sitting in a forest with your friends, you know the situation you're in sucks, you're surrounded by monsters ready to kill you and if you die you're pretty screwed since you'll be running back naked, but you're bonding with people aroudn joke, you start to make jokes and start to get to know each other, the fact you are killing doesn't really matter anymore, it's secondary to the company you're in.

this is how i felt aswell when i got to playing everquest in 1999, if i only got a 1 blue bub the whole night it didnt matter i was part of something more .

micona Xfire Miniprofile
  BBPD766

Novice Member

3/28/13 5:03:05 PM#39

I miss those days...

Leveling groups that took turns on a single respawn spot kililng the exactly same mob again, again, again, and again.

It is boring. I am glad those days are gone, and MMOs are better games.

"Leveling groups that took turns on a single respawn spot kililng the exactly same mob again, again, again, and again."

So far ive read significantly more posts until I got to yours about how people miss doing it because of the fun they had doing exactly that. Clearly you dont get it or were in poor company when (and if) you did any mob grinding. Several have said it but i will be glad to repeat it. It was hanging with a group of people you got to chat,/laugh with and enjoying their company that brought the entertainment, not the killing of the mobs. The mob killing was only a byproduct of the true reason you were there.....to have some easy and mindless task that gained some xp while you conecentrated on socializing; not the other way around. Those very groups are exactly what helped build relationships and communities that lasted; some of which I would bet still exist as a result. I think this is where you're confused.

"It is boring. I am glad those days are gone, and MMOs are better games."

It would be in your best interest to look at the infinite forums opposing your logic that the current quality of MMORPG games are better. That in and of itself is one of the gaming communities largest complaints.

But hey, if you like to play a solo experience with a chat box that has you looking on your minimap and mindlessly walking to an NPC with a question mark over their head asking you to collect or kill 10  "whooseywhatzitz" only to walk to another NPC on your minimap that has an exclamation point over their head to gain xp (while you wait for an instanced dungeon with strangers you wont speak to or remember 5 minutes after you shut down your computer) then have a ball.

*Flip on sarcasm switch, NOW* The good news is, you will only have to do this for about 24-48 hours of gameplay (not necessarily in one sitting) and you will be max level in less than a week so you can go do the six raids the game has to offer over and over again for over a year as you watch the loot rot that drops from the boss since nobody needs it.  The best part is, when yur bored cuz there's nothin else to do in the game, a new MMO will come out with the same rediculous blueprint and you can rinse and repeat the process.  Yep, im sure glad those days are gone and MMOs are better games.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/28/13 6:22:42 PM#40
Originally posted by BBPD766

"Leveling groups that took turns on a single respawn spot kililng the exactly same mob again, again, again, and again."

So far ive read significantly more posts until I got to yours about how people miss doing it because of the fun they had doing exactly that. Clearly you dont get it or were in poor company when (and if) you did any mob grinding. Several have said it but i will be glad to repeat it. It was hanging with a group of people you got to chat,/laugh with and enjoying their company that brought the entertainment, not the killing of the mobs. The mob killing was only a byproduct of the true reason you were there.....to have some easy and mindless task that gained some xp while you conecentrated on socializing; not the other way around. Those very groups are exactly what helped build relationships and communities that lasted; some of which I would bet still exist as a result. I think this is where you're confused.

LOL .. get it? I don't think you get that some don't play games to chat. If i want to chat, i go on MSN. And playing the same mob again and again .. with zero challenge? I suppose fun is subjective. IF that is fun for you ... don't expect to see me in your "chat" game.

"It is boring. I am glad those days are gone, and MMOs are better games."

It would be in your best interest to look at the infinite forums opposing your logic that the current quality of MMORPG games are better. That in and of itself is one of the gaming communities largest complaints.

Logic? Fun is just preference. Mine is as valid as yours. And so what if some are complaining on an internet forum. It never matters. Millions sstill sub to WOW, do they?

But hey, if you like to play a solo experience with a chat box that has you looking on your minimap and mindlessly walking to an NPC with a question mark over their head asking you to collect or kill 10  "whooseywhatzitz" only to walk to another NPC on your minimap that has an exclamation point over their head to gain xp (while you wait for an instanced dungeon with strangers you wont speak to or remember 5 minutes after you shut down your computer) then have a ball.

Yeah .. i am going to do my fun combat farming run in D3 NOW .. and i will kill lots more than 10 .. lasering 20 mobs at the same time .. is fun! It is not even a MMO .. but close enough for me

I will have a ball ..

*Flip on sarcasm switch, NOW* The good news is, you will only have to do this for about 24-48 hours of gameplay (not necessarily in one sitting) and you will be max level in less than a week so you can go do the six raids the game has to offer over and over again for over a year as you watch the loot rot that drops from the boss since nobody needs it.  The best part is, when yur bored cuz there's nothin else to do in the game, a new MMO will come out with the same rediculous blueprint and you can rinse and repeat the process.  Yep, im sure glad those days are gone and MMOs are better games.

You fail to mention i can also play more than just ONE game which gets boring envetually. And you also fails to mention that i can play some of the story mission like a solo game. And you fail to mention that when i want to raid, it is just a LFR button away. I don't even have to commit to a schedule.

Isn't modern MMO great ... i am very sure that the EQ days are gone. I am glad you see my point.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search