Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,207 Users Online:0
Games:738  Posts:6,238,510
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » XP grind. Mob or Quest?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
127 posts found
  Lovely_Laly

Novice Member

game is also real

3/11/13 9:29:06 PM#21

quest to me is one time story line quest, rest of them is repetitive grind.

some grinds are ok: kill small amount of mobs can't annoy me too much but if next quest push you back to same mobs, I quite game.

quest or mob depends on rewards / drops; sometime you just waste time with quest but get nothing much, by this time you could kill X mobs and get Y drops;
sometime you have quest to kill "good" mobs and this way you get both: quest reward and drops.

I can't tell you what I prefer, it depends on game, quest, mobs.

I can tell you what i hate to do: kill 30 mobs, come back, kill 40 of same kind, all at same or close area; kill 10 mobs, go like 3 zones far, turn quest, go back to kill next 10 mobs of same kind 3 zones from here (LoTRO).

anything you do, you can't afford best to buy items in game w/o use of cash shop: GW2 has worst example with cost of Legendary, following by Runes of Magic upgrades, and then, by far, most of f2p shop dependent games.

group quests when you can't find people to do it with you (some zones at TBC WoW).

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/11/13 10:29:39 PM#22

I have to say that I love quests when they are actual quests. Which is rare to non-existant.

Having me run down to the river to kill 5 of X is not a quest. It's a job. Which is fine, I don't mind being payed to get rid of local fauna. But other than that, I'd rather go out and explore and hunt monsters over "run here... now run there... now go back.. now run and talk to one person who has nothing to say and run back again."

That makes quests tedious relay races.

@mannish: I actually play tera mostly with mob grinding sprinkled with the quests. And I grind BAMS which have been somewhat lucrative but only solo.

also, do you think they will make L3 a grinder game? I fear they won't.

blackcat35

Novice Member

Developers of MMORPGS nerf us today so they can sell us tommorow what we had yesterday.

3/11/13 10:31:06 PM#23

I remember playing EQ, and falling asleep on the keyboard.  its scary waking up with an imprint of the keyboard on your face.  I remember doing a tough raid that had multiple groups in the raid, and having our cleric fall asleep at the keyboard.  We had called a gm to boot his char so he wouldn't be auto-killed, and a dragon came while everyone was running away, and I remember mezzing it so it wouldn't toast his char.  ( I was an enchanter ).  I basically saved his char from a certain death.  Our group killed the mob.

I had alot of good times in EQ, but grinding in one spot against respawning mobs gets boring, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

==========================
The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

CalmOceans

Apprentice Member

3/11/13 11:16:56 PM#24

It's important to note that EQ uses camp squatting for most of the world, it also has a slower paced combat system.

Both these things allow for community building. Basically if you want a community you need downtime in your game.

BeansnBread

Hard Core Member

3/11/13 11:21:21 PM#25

I don't like either option very much. Perhaps I might enjoy quests if they weren't so damned generic. Maybe if they added far, far fewer of them and made each of them far more epic in scope I might like it.

But really, I like games where I can level in PvP or in difficult PvE dungeon-like content.

Grinding or quests as we know them? They can completely remove both "features" from MMORPGs and I would be perfectly happy.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

User Deleted
3/11/13 11:35:22 PM#26

Mob grinding for the most part. During quests more time is spent running back and forth between walls of texts giving some excuse as to why it was imperative I needed to kill 10 boars. It also makes grouping more of a hassle than it should be, trying to make sure everyone is on the same stage/kill count and such.

There's a few things that need/can be done to spice up mob grinding so it doesn't become a chore, but i'm to lazy to get into that.

I did enjoy quests in EQ1 though, despite how incredibly difficult many of them would turn out to be.

KaosProphet

Novice Member

3/12/13 12:02:48 AM#27
Originally posted by Arclan

In EQ, we earned xp several hours at a time by killing mobs. Much of that time involved joking around with newly met friends. Often, you came to respect their wit and skill and made a game-long friend and in some cases a lifelong friend.

In Vanguard, I earned xp by doing quests. This never involved staying in one place for more than just a few minutes. If you are busy moving or fighting, you don't have time to chat. So no new friends were made in Vanguard.

Most games require xp, and many refer to that as a 'grind.' So pick your poison.

I never played either.  I stuck with UO when EQ was in it's hey-day, and I missed Vanguard completely.

I also dislike dichotomies, so I'mma throw out option three here:  SOT, skill-over-time, the way Eve did it.  This way you're "levelling" while you're doing... whatever you feel like doing.  Grinding mobs, grinding quests, grinding craftables, or just shooting the breeze at whatever social hub the game might have.

tupodawg999

Advanced Member

3/12/13 3:30:30 AM#28
Both. I'd like a group-grind path through the game and lots of solo quests (mostly not in long chains) scattered around and then i'd swap between them depending on mood.
  Loke666

Elite Member

3/12/13 3:38:25 AM#29

Well, both have its bad parts.

Mobs often turn into spawn camping and that becomes boring fast.

Quests turns fast into "kill 10 rats" and are equally bad.

Personally I think both should have little XP while the main XP are for veterans, champions and bosses, preferably with less XP for each time you kill the same thing the same day so people have to move around more.

Awarding most XP for hard things stops people from leveling too easy, as we all remember spawn camping is often pretty simple and reward should always be based on the risk you take.

Also questbased games needs to be better on rewarding more for hard and less for easy quests, it often feels the same for all of them nowadays.

I would also give plenty of XP for completing dungeons and opening chests.

LauraFrost

Novice Member

3/12/13 5:19:16 AM#30
Originally posted by Psychow

I would rather quest.  Mindlessly killing mobs for no other reason than to gain XP is not a gamestyle I would want to participate in.

I'm sure developers would LOVE it if we did prefer mob grinding tho. Just think of all the costs they can save from having to provide content for it's players!

and I envy you, because every MMORPG now cater to your preference.

sanshi44

Hard Core Member

3/12/13 5:29:15 AM#31
I prefer lvling off mobs and Quest are acualy real quest that give good rewards that arnt gonna be replaced in 5 minutes. Also turn in quest where u can loot no trade items from mobs and trade them in to a merchant at anytime for XP and money and all that u dont need the quest for these itesm to drop Like how they worked in Everquest.
  Xthos

Elite Member

3/12/13 5:44:53 AM#32

I would much rather mob grind, than quest grind in most mmos.  The only quest mmo I actually liked the quests and thought they were interesting for the most part was TSW.  Just sucks that they always make mob grinding not even comparable.

xeniar

Advanced Member

3/12/13 5:55:35 AM#33
Originally posted by Psychow

I would rather quest.  Mindlessly killing mobs for no other reason than to gain XP is not a gamestyle I would want to participate in.

I'm sure developers would LOVE it if we did prefer mob grinding tho. Just think of all the costs they can save from having to provide content for it's players!

your thinking is wrong there m8.

Developers won't have to do less. they actually have to do the same amount of work. to make mob grinding intresting they have to make a huge open world to explore and within that world have big open dungeons filled with patrols where 1 wrong move would kill your party.

Rydeson

Elite Member

3/12/13 6:01:09 AM#34
     Mob grind for the win..   I just wish we could go back to the days of EQ (pre PoP), but just tweak some minor things and make the world even bigger..  I would of loved the option to be known as the "Druid" of the Karanas, where I can go from birth to max level without leaving that starting area.. EQ was the close to the perfect start, but never advanced.. Tis a shame..
  Jemcrystal

Elite Member

Let em put a slave ring thru u're nose u're prob not going to like where they're taking you. Think.

3/12/13 6:08:58 AM#35

I play a game where you can grind, quest, dungeon, event or throw sand around your sandbox.  Making friends or not making friends is up to me as well.  

UP   TO   ME.

http://s25.postimg.org/e4cys86xb/gw004.jpg

coretex666

Hard Core Member

"I shall take your position into consideration"

3/12/13 6:53:09 AM#36
Originally posted by Sovrath

I have to say that I love quests when they are actual quests. Which is rare to non-existant.

Having me run down to the river to kill 5 of X is not a quest. It's a job. Which is fine, I don't mind being payed to get rid of local fauna. But other than that, I'd rather go out and explore and hunt monsters over "run here... now run there... now go back.. now run and talk to one person who has nothing to say and run back again."

@mannish: I actually play tera mostly with mob grinding sprinkled with the quests. And I grind BAMS which have been somewhat lucrative but only solo.

Considering changes which they have made to L2, I would say it is unlikely.

The fact that they made L2 casual is the only reason why I cant play it anymore. Now they are giving equip away for free, they also implemented quests,...

I think they are too influenced by the themepark generation of 2004-2013.

Currently playing: L2 Chronicle 4

nariusseldon

Elite Member

3/12/13 10:21:35 AM#37

In EQ, we earned xp several hours at a time by killing mobs. Much of that time involved joking around with newly met friends. Often, you came to respect their wit and skill and made a game-long friend and in some cases a lifelong friend.

In Vanguard, I earned xp by doing quests. This never involved staying in one place for more than just a few minutes. If you are busy moving or fighting, you don't have time to chat. So no new friends were made in Vanguard.

Most games require xp, and many refer to that as a 'grind.' So pick your poison.

Are you playing a game, or trying to make friends?

Sovrath

Elite Member

3/12/13 10:47:53 AM#38
Originally posted by coretex666
Originally posted by Sovrath

Considering changes which they have made to L2, I would say it is unlikely.

The fact that they made L2 casual is the only reason why I cant play it anymore. Now they are giving equip away for free, they also implemented quests,...

I think they are too influenced by the themepark generation of 2004-2013.

Yeah, that's kind of my thought as well. I haven't seen the quests yet. I just loaded it up again on the weekend and tried to find a good grinding spot for my 78 Stormscreamer.

Arclan

Spotlight Poster

"Ideas are worthless. The only currency that holds any weight is the ability and drive to execute."

OP  3/12/13 11:13:22 AM#39

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by KaosProphet
... I'mma throw out option three here: SOT, skill-over-time, the way Eve did it. This way you're "levelling" while you're doing... whatever you feel like doing. Grinding mobs, grinding quests, grinding craftables, or just shooting the breeze at whatever social hub the game might have.

I would Love for an MMO to implement the xp over time mechanic from Eve. Perhaps have multiple xp bars (one for xp gain, another for time in game, etc). So that a toon powerleveled to max will lack certain abilities/advantages of a character with more tenure.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit
video game company layoffs are twice the national average.

xeniar

Advanced Member

3/12/13 11:42:24 AM#40
Originally posted by nariusseldon

Are you playing a game, or trying to make friends?

Go play your beloved single players games. u do not belong here.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search