Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | EverQuest | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,174 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,275,513
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Firefly Universe Online launches Indiegogo campaign

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
24 posts found
  XAleX360

Advanced Member

OP  2/05/13 4:29:40 PM#1

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuo-the-darkcryo-mmorpg-experience?c=home

Many features sound very innovative. 

Founder, CEO & Editor in Chief of Worlds Factory, a brand new videogame and entertainment online publication.

AutemOx

Novice Member

2/05/13 5:37:41 PM#2

I am a huge fan of firefly and browncoat for life.  That being said, this game is never going to be made.  It is either a hoax or the people making it are very stupid.

It has trying-to-look-like-much-more-of-game-is-complete-than-really-is written all over it.  And the siri voice over for your indiegogo?  Really...?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

darker70

Novice Member

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

2/05/13 6:53:39 PM#3
Originally posted by wormywyrm

I am a huge fan of firefly and browncoat for life.  That being said, this game is never going to be made.  It is either a hoax or the people making it are very stupid.

It has trying-to-look-like-much-more-of-game-is-complete-than-really-is written all over it.  And the siri voice over for your indiegogo?  Really...?

Way to kill something before it gets out of the starting gate there is a bit of history to this project,and the campaign was delayed because of an ill advised article in Kotaku which they later retracted which labeled the game a hoax which of course it isn't.

But the new presentation looks pretty convinceing should be interesting to see more footage as they release more videos I my self never fully got behind Dark Cryo a year ago all my time went to The Repopulation,which had the same sort of ill conceived response as this but look at Repop now,just goes to show you never know what gems can be unearthed with the crowd sourceing revolution.

greenreen

Advanced Member

2/05/13 9:08:15 PM#4

As a natural cynic and skeptic, get ready.

The stolen music on their video is not something I expect a "company" to do. It's not only theft but disrespectful. You have to ride on your own merits. Oddly enough, I had linked this video here with some of the same soundtrack earlier in the week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvUi3EqWOQ

That music is in their video and it isn't theirs I'd wager.

What I learned about the game watching the video - diddly.

The white font with the grey shading for titles - bad, looks like a designers idea but does not work as a title and something to stand out.

The screenshots - what is with them. They scream different sources but aren't labeled so who can tell what they are supposed to represent.

Some are fuzzy and some aren't. Some look like someone took a real life picture and put a photoshop filter on them, like this http://darkcryo.com/_images/indegogo/imgs/34.jpg     Pay attention especially to the left side where the boxes are out of focus.

This one in particular looks like it was procedurally generated in the "Love" game. That's the feel I get from it, not that it literally was stolen from Love. http://darkcryo.com/_images/indegogo/imgs/39.jpg

Lending again to the thought that it's a filter.

Compare those images to the ones like this http://darkcryo.com/_images/indegogo/imgs/58.jpg

I don't believe for a second those are all in the same game and if they are, there is some really strange design going on here. This is probably where it really all is, basic. http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/625986/pictures/full/20130121063916-01.jpg?1358779160

Maybe someone recognizes that UI on the top right as a game engine?

I can't tell you what the game is about, the images threw me off too much to actually read anything and the little I did wasn't about mechanics or giving me a feel for gameplay or day to day activities, it was googoo babble like this.

"Your strength is derived from your mobility, a network of Megacorp Syndication crime Lords, and sympathetic Anti-Hero loyalists, that require your services to transport their products throughout the system. A resilient individual, you can out-flank superior tactical advantage through coercion, trickery, and deceit, making for excellent job runners and smugglers."

Since they gave all icing and no cake, seems like a bunch of designers that wish they were more because everything I see is influenced by fluff instead of meat. No screenshot has UI elements or windows or screens of playing, it looks like they are selling a terraforming kit the way it's presented. The only place a character(2 count) or creature/mob(0 count) was shown was in the graphics that didn't look edited by filters.

edit: I visited their website, that may be the worst website I have seen in a long time. Most definitely designers. The whole "level up" thing is a joke, it's all design and no usability. They have no explanations on anything that is language that means something only to them. There were 47 images downloaded for 1 page. It took 6 page downs to even see that amount of content that could have been one page. Nothing like comparing products by scrolling upppppp 6 times and doooooown 6 times for each line item. I think Mr. Magoo works there because their design is circus sized - perhaps a Napolean complex you know what I'm sayin' *puts out little finger. No clown cars were found though *kicks dirt and leaves with head down - maybe next time. Web2.don't.

AutemOx

Novice Member

2/05/13 11:28:21 PM#5

Thanks greenreen, very interesting.  I hope people are communicating to the firefly fanbase that this game looks illegit, because I think they may have a more difficult time telling since they have not seen all the failed MMOs go by that community members of this site has.  I'd hate to see people putting their money into it because of their love of the series to never see anything in return.

Either they are very unprofessional and do not know how to market and present their product or they are illegitimate.  The more evidence I see the more I think its the latter.

I want to see a crowd sourced firefly mmo, but it needs to be from a group with some legitamacy or ties to the firefly or mmo community.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

greenreen

Advanced Member

2/06/13 1:42:07 AM#6

Yeah we have to look out for each other. No problem for me to dig around, I'm trying to figure out a complicated algorithm so it's good to take breaks.

Here's another link where someone is concerned these people are going to cash back their DCICs.

http://furiousnads.com/tag/darkcryo/

"

Indie Game HQ: With such a low price point, do you intend on supporting the game long-term with micro-transactions or do you have something else planned?

Craig: In combination with previous donations and ongoing Crew contributions, this campaign will cover a healthy lifecycle for both North American and Oceanic services for the initial two years after launch. Thereafter, there exists a second in-game currency for OOC transactions, with 100% of the generated revenue being distributed to those within the DC Community that participate in our revenue-sharing program. Even the DC Crew must ourselves purchase DarkCryo Investment Certificates, or DCICs, alongside our Players if we wish post-campaign remuneration. This is only fair since most, if not all, DC Community members openly contribute to the game design process.

Revenue-sharing program? Investment certificates? Indeed, various incarnations of DarkCryo forums content and/or their crowdfunding page itself refer to “stakeholder shared equity”, an “investor pack”, and “starting equity”; “stakeholder equity” in “ingame revenue”, “post-Beta subscription revenue”, “advertising revenue”, and “merchandising revenue”; and to “quarterly investment strategy updates”.

"

On the right side of the campaign you can see them offering the DCIC parcels along with packages.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuo-the-darkcryo-mmorpg-experience?c=home

They do have a point. This from the campaign sure does sound like stock. You even get quarterly reports lol

"

Issuance of 100 DarkCryo Investment Certificates, or DCICs, as your starting equity.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC ingame revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC post-Beta subscription revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC advertising revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC merchandising revenue.

Insider access to DC quarterly investment strategy updates.

"

I hadn't heard of this game before - now I see this isn't the first time they had some drama from the previous posts listed there. Even trying to call the game parody at one point to get around not having the rights to use the IP.

Two of the people listed in the campaign also link up to this website as owners. As does the link in the viewsource to darkcryo for an image from the cyber intelligence flash show - hrm, does that look familiar - guess they liked the matrix too. 

Royal Canadian Cyber Intelligence Service
http://rccis.ca/

Maybe these people are serial "starters", they sure don't seem to have any concept of what belongs to me and what belongs to you when it comes to property. They are just using whatever seems clever.

XAleX360

Advanced Member

OP  2/06/13 4:12:55 AM#7
Interesting, albeit troubling, information. I have contacted one of the listed staff members on Indiegogo campaign who happens to be italian as I am, I'll try to get them to speak on the subject (I'm a press member).

Founder, CEO & Editor in Chief of Worlds Factory, a brand new videogame and entertainment online publication.

stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

2/06/13 4:28:29 AM#8
Originally posted by wormywyrm

Thanks greenreen, very interesting.  I hope people are communicating to the firefly fanbase that this game looks illegit, because I think they may have a more difficult time telling since they have not seen all the failed MMOs go by that community members of this site has.  I'd hate to see people putting their money into it because of their love of the series to never see anything in return.

Either they are very unprofessional and do not know how to market and present their product or they are illegitimate.  The more evidence I see the more I think its the latter.

I want to see a crowd sourced firefly mmo, but it needs to be from a group with some legitamacy or ties to the firefly or mmo community.

Um hello!   http://kotaku.com/5974538/the-planned-firefly+inspired-mmo-is-real-its-some-fans-labor-of-love

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

darker70

Novice Member

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

2/06/13 6:48:34 AM#9
Also if this was a hoax why would they list team members on the Indiegogo site that would be like commiting career suicde if they intended to hoax would they not actually go anonymous,also people refer to the complicated finance system they have,one of the members is a banker in real life amazing what u can find if you look..

Toferio

Novice Member

2/06/13 6:55:55 AM#10

They don't even have the rights to the IP to begin with.. 

Originally posted by darker70
Also if this was a hoax why would they list team members on the Indiegogo site that would be like commiting career suicde if they intended to hoax would they not actually go anonymous,also people refer to the complicated finance system they have,one of the members is a banker in real life amazing what u can find if you look..

They trully believe their project, as Dark and Light dev team did at the stat, look at how that turned out..

XAleX360

Advanced Member

OP  2/06/13 7:26:52 AM#11
Originally posted by Toferio

They don't even have the rights to the IP to begin with.. 

They trully believe their project, as Dark and Light dev team did at the stat, look at how that turned out..

True, but people cannot be held accountable for others actions. They will have to build their reputation on their own merits. Also at the time of Dark & Light there were no funding campaigns, which help greatly indie development both in funding and in taking the right directions with the feedback from fans.

AlBQuirky

Spotlight Poster

Tomorrow's just a future yesterday...

2/06/13 1:17:31 PM#12

Do they have the licensing from Joss Whedon? Last I heard, they did not, if it is the same group doing "Firefly Universe Online."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

AutemOx

Novice Member

2/07/13 1:15:08 AM#13

Yeah they are really putting themselves out there with that revealing text-to-voice software narrated indiegogo video.  Just playing...  But really, it is not career suicide to work on a failed game at all, it happens all the time.  People tank in one business to be handed the next, etc.  It is complicated.

greenreen

Advanced Member

2/07/13 10:31:37 AM#14

They changed the campaign. It was asking for 200k and now it says 135k or did I imagine that 200k. All that equity stuff was edited out of the bottom text but the DCIC stuff still shows on the package perks. Aha, I didn't imagine it - found a cache of it being 200k http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1fYslQ8kv2EJ:www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuo-the-darkcryo-mmorpg-experience+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Under that gold rush section it says "See website for details!" - luckily I quoted what it used to be in another post. This is what they edited out.

"

Issuance of 100 DarkCryo Investment Certificates, or DCICs, as your starting equity.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC ingame revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC post-Beta subscription revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC advertising revenue.

Stakeholder shared equity in 100% DC merchandising revenue.

Insider access to DC quarterly investment strategy updates.

"

Their website requires you to make an account. Oh my.

Question is - did they see our thread or did someone tell the company on them and they had them remove it.

Ever feel like you are being watched - oh no black helicopter. Wait, it was just a roflcopter http://www.roflcopter.net/

kevb

Novice Member

2/07/13 12:55:43 PM#15
I kind of love the endorsement DarkCryo have on their website from Notch from Minecraft (it randomly appears at the top).  One problem - he wasn't talking about FUO.  It's a quote lifted from an interview about something completely different.
  AutemOx

Novice Member

2/07/13 5:17:53 PM#16
Originally posted by kevb
I kind of love the endorsement DarkCryo have on their website from Notch from Minecraft (it randomly appears at the top).  One problem - he wasn't talking about FUO.  It's a quote lifted from an interview about something completely different.

I wouldn't be impressed by an endorsement of Notch, anyways.  I love minecraft and am totally impressed with it and Notch's company.  I am not impressed by Notch's opinions on the gaming industry and as a personality.

Toferio

Novice Member

2/08/13 2:34:05 PM#17
...and the campaign is gone. 
  kevb

Novice Member

2/08/13 2:49:00 PM#18

Here's the organisers take: https://www.facebook.com/FireflyUniverseOnline/posts/528655067156407

They've been offering share incentives in a way which ultimately wasn't in line with the Indiegogo terms and conditions.  In the end Indiegogo suspended them last night.  They also reduced their goal amount after being placed into Draft mode earlier with Indiegogo, which I suspect didn't go down well as it was a fixed amount at $200k suddenly reduced to an amount they would have met given the pledges they were seeing.

They've been selling the rewards (including share/investment schemes) directly on their website via (I seem to recall) Paypal, which is suggested elsewhere on a blog may not be in line with local law.  I think they're still doing that, I haven't checked.

There's no company registered for this apparently (they were originally trading as another company name, something somebody else mentions earlier in this topic, however Craig Redl now claims they aren't using that company), and so no accountable directors, and no address records for those involved.

I'm absolutely sure it isn't a scam.  Will they deliver a triple A quality MMORPG ultimately, or will fans and the people running the show end up locked into yet another Firefly fandom kerfuffle?

erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

2/08/13 2:58:06 PM#19

Well I would love to see firefly online but this obvously was something that was out there just to get folks money.   Now indiegogo removed it from the site.  So one has to wonder was it a scam or legit.

kevb

Novice Member

2/08/13 3:09:58 PM#20
Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I would love to see firefly online but this obvously was something that was out there just to get folks money.   

I actually don't think that's the case.  I think it was a well meaning, very technically gifted fan who has tried to lead a project he didn't know how to manage, without any kind of business infrastructure.  I mean, this was never going to be a Firefly MMO - they don't have the license, or means to get the license.  Now he's ended up with an apparently unregistered business which apparently can't deliver what they've already taken money from fans for.

This isn't the first time this has happened with Firefly fans (google Help Nathan Buy Firefly, Flanvention etc) and it won't be the last.  I just hope everybody - the fans and the Darkcryo people - can make a clean exit where nobody gets into trouble.

A Firefly game would be great.  Something tells me it needs some serious infrastructure and firing power to deliver.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search