Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,302 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,242,933
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Why I dont play Asian Market based MMO's

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
49 posts found
  xpowderx

Advanced Member

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. Richard Feynman, Nobel-prize-winning physicist

OP  2/06/13 3:57:39 AM#1

I have played MMORPG's For a very long time now. One thing I have learned through my 15 years of mmorpg playing is not to play Asian MMO''s. Do not take that the wrong way. Some of the asian mmo's are innovative. Some hae very good class systems. Are beautiful, are fluid, are some of the best looking mmos out. But then you have the reasons I dont play.

Many are exploited, not just general exploitation like" I found this crack in a dungeon and can slip through. Save at least a hour of time getting to the boss" ect. No, exploitaion in many asian mmos go to a whole new level! The next thing which is a total turn off is the lack of support. Many times a player may have a bug. Instead of it getting fixed,the company lets it stay.  Hacking is another issue. Many asian mmos have a lack of security compared to its western counterparts.

In my experience only one asian game company has done very well correcting its mistakes. Final Fantasy 11 was a very very good asan mmorpg. They cleaned house of both exploitive players, teams and were very good security wise.

That being said, what do you think of asian market mmorpgs?

MUST WATCH: http://vimeo.com/105072944

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

2/06/13 4:00:17 AM#2
too flashy. I find the ammount of shiny per each trivial ability exagerated.

cybertrucker

Spotlight Poster

Freeloading mooches are the scourge of the gaming community.

2/06/13 4:02:10 AM#3
Both AION and TERA are good games.
  Kenaoshi

Novice Member

2/06/13 4:06:42 AM#4

well i am on the other side of the balance.

I like the Asian mmos and starting to despise the way NA/EU of doing them.

While i agree that asian mmos DOES have the problems you mentioned and the art-style can, sometimes, be a little over the top, the gameplay and dificulty does fit my needs more than the eazy going/boring western counter parts.

now: GW2 (10 80s).
Dark Souls 2.
future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
"Bro, do your even fractal?"
Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

lufiaz

Advanced Member

2/06/13 4:09:47 AM#5
Originally posted by xpowderx

I have played MMORPG's For a very long time now. One thing I have learned through my 15 years of mmorpg playing is not to play Asan MMO''s. Do not take that the wrong way. Some of the asian mmo's are innovative. Some hae very good class systems. Are beautiful, are fluid, are some of the best looking mmos out. But then you have the reasons I dont play.

Many are exploited, not just general exploitation like" I found this crack in a dungeon and can slip through. Save at least a hour of time getting to the boss" ect. No, exploitaion in many asian mmos go to a whole new level! The next thing which is a total turn off is the lack of support. Many times a player may have a bug. Instead of it getting fixed,the company lets it stay.  Hacking is another issue. Many asian mmos have a lack of security compared to its western counterparts.

In my experience only one asian game company has done very well correcting its mistakes. Final Fantasy 11 was a very very good asan mmorpg. They cleaned house of both exploitive players, teams and were very good security wise.

Such as?

Darkfall and Mortal Online wanted to say hi.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

2/06/13 4:10:10 AM#6
Nice generalisation
  DamonVile

Elite Member

2/06/13 4:17:29 AM#7
So you don't like them because of exploits, persistant bugs, hacking and security......Can you name any mmo that doesn't have these issues ?

There's a saying about evolution and why we have two eyes and two ears but only one mouth. Clearly it didn't see the internet coming or it never would have given us ten fingers to type with.

stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

2/06/13 4:19:00 AM#8

One thing I have learned through my 15 years of mmorpg playing

You should know by now that it cuts both ways.  Western games has just as many problems as eastern games.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

bobfish

Advanced Member

2/06/13 4:20:34 AM#9

Exploiting and cheating is more common in Asian MMOs because in South Korea you need to use your national security number to create an account to play. Therefore it is relatively easy to keep cheaters out, once you're banned you can't play it again.

This means when they come to the west, they are wholly unprepared to deal with such cheaters, who they can't keep out of the game. In the past, many Korean MMOs didn't even have server checks on important actions, making client editing a really easy way to cheat, this is just asking for trouble in the western market.

User Deleted
2/06/13 4:20:45 AM#10

There are some art style things I don't like about a lot of Asian games. First of all, I'm not into anime. I don't like female avatars in spike heals and mini-skirts, either. I've enjoyed that look in RL, but not in my mmos. I don't like the hugely oversized weapons. I don't like things to be too pretty, male or female. Beauty should be rare and prized. It should exist, though.

I like a world that is dark and gritty with beautiful places. I like the variety. I like warriors to be hardened and tough no matter their gender. I don't like them to look like teenage models or Justin Bieber idealized to Asian art standards. 

All of that said, I won't rule out playing Asian games. I will certainly try ArcheAge. I won't miss out on that. I will also consider FF 14 RR. 

I wouldn't blanket ban any type of game just because of where it's from. 

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/06/13 4:22:06 AM#11

Apart from the Burusera panty shots (creepy), they don't bother me any.

Lineage was arguably as (or more) important to this genre than any of its Western contemporaries.

I don't play any of them, mind you.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

PigEye

Novice Member

2/06/13 4:23:33 AM#12
Thanks for sharing. I tend to agree, but I like Tera

PigEye McNasty
DFOUW NA

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/06/13 4:28:01 AM#13
Originally posted by bobfish

Exploiting and cheating is more common in Asian MMOs because in South Korea you need to use your national security number to create an account to play. Therefore it is relatively easy to keep cheaters out, once you're banned you can't play it again.

Buh? Wouldn't that make it harder (and so less common) to cheat in korean games?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

azzamasin

Elite Member

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.

2/06/13 4:29:22 AM#14

I have played MMORPG's For a very long time now. One thing I have learned through my 15 years of mmorpg playing is not to play Asan MMO''s. Do not take that the wrong way. Some of the asian mmo's are innovative. Some hae very good class systems. Are beautiful, are fluid, are some of the best looking mmos out. But then you have the reasons I dont play.

Biggest reason why I dont play Asian games is the Art style is to happy shiny anime and the second is the grindy nature of their games.  All the content is so bland and boring.  I feel if they took a small amount of that happy go lucky anime feel and put it toward content then the games would be good.

If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Lienhart

Novice Member

2/06/13 7:06:28 AM#15
Originally posted by azzamasin

Biggest reason why I dont play Asian games is the Art style is to happy shiny anime and the second is the grindy nature of their games.  All the content is so bland and boring.  I feel if they took a small amount of that happy go lucky anime feel and put it toward content then the games would be good.

And because most Americans get offended by tits.

Loktofeit

Elite Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Project Gorgon, and Combat Arms

2/06/13 7:15:40 AM#16
Originally posted by cybertrucker

I like those two, as well. Most Asian games are grindy, though. It's just because that's what that audience seems to like. That's the reason why when peopel use the argument that a game is doing really well in asia as support for how great a game is, it throws up red flags for me. That means it's great for that audience, and doesn't mean it's going to have any real level of appeal here no matter what cool features are mixed in with the repetitive grind.

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

2/06/13 7:19:57 AM#17

I've played TERA, Lineage 1, Lineage 2 and have recently returned to Aion and found some fun in all of them. (up to 6 months or so).

Certainly hasn't equaled my time in DAOC, EVE or WOW, but still all were pretty solid titles and I will consider future Asian created titles such as ArcheAge.

If they're fun, I'll play them, don't care where in the world they are made.

Arrogant, Dismissive, Elitist, you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

bobfish

Advanced Member

2/06/13 7:25:48 AM#18
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by bobfish

Buh? Wouldn't that make it harder (and so less common) to cheat in korean games?

Sorry, my wording wasn't clear.

Cheating is harder in Asia because of the SSN thing, therefore their MMOs have less anti-cheat mechanics in them than western developed games.

Which means when the Asian MMO is released in the west, there is more cheating in it than you'd see in other games. The western versions of Asian MMOs have more cheating.

Theocritus

Apprentice Member

2/06/13 8:40:17 AM#19
Originally posted by cybertrucker

I don't see why people think Aion is good....I thought it was an awful game.

VengeSunsoar

Elite Member

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

2/06/13 11:10:57 AM#20

I have played MMORPG's For a very long time now. One thing I have learned through my 15 years of mmorpg playing is not to play Asian MMO''s. Do not take that the wrong way. Some of the asian mmo's are innovative. Some hae very good class systems. Are beautiful, are fluid, are some of the best looking mmos out. But then you have the reasons I dont play.

Everything you have stated I have heard many many many times against western devs.  Seems like a wash to me.

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search