Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,798,123 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,195,739
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » If you are looking for a new PVE game try Rift

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
45 posts found
  allegria

Novice Member

12/10/12 3:08:02 AM#41
Originally posted by Warcannibal
Originally posted by evilastro
Originally posted by danwest58

So a lot of people are not enjoying WoW right now with the world full of dailies.  Many are wondeirng about what Rift has to offer.  I will offer this advice with Rift because about a dozen of my friends have come over and tried it most are staying.  I have heard what bugs them about Rift after only 15 or 20 minutes of game play.

First the soul system many of them are lost on.  They are so use to WoWs talents new and old that it confuses them.  Simple Solution use a cookie cutter builld and do as it tells you to do with your talent points.  Dont worry about being different until you learn your class and the different souls.

Second the looks can be odd, it took me 3 to 4 days back in Dec 2004 to get use to WoW's looks coming from SWG and FFXI.  I didnt like them at first and needed until level 18 to really get use to it.  After several hours of playing over a few days I seen other things that the world had to offer in the way of content and stuck around.  

Not saying everyone will love the game however just given advice on being a little open minded about the game.  Also try an instance you might like it.  

I don't see how the soul system could confuse anyone. The classes and combat in Rift are the dullest I have ever had the misfortune to experience in a game. Get a bunch of generic skills and shove them in a supermacro. So much fun, not.

Edit: I wouldnt be surprised if this was not so subtle Rift marketing. They have been pretty desperate with their 'please come back and play' emails lately.

THIS ^

Rift is a fantastic game that coulda-shoulda been.  Then they dumb down things like talents.  My "new" rogue uses 3 buttons for 25+ skills.  My "new" Warrior uses 2 macroes (builder.. finisher) for EVERY skill.

Rift is training wheels in the MMO world, the only reason they can keep charging money.  So many people are patting themselves on their own back for finishing end game in Rift, when in reality, WoW was too hard so they came to Rift.

-Dub-C-

what shocks me to this day, is that many people are calling WoW hard or difficult compared to newer releases ... and I do not disagree.. its just amazing how far the MMO genre has gone to cater to the casual.

SuperXero89

Advanced Member

12/10/12 3:16:06 AM#42

I've tried oh so hard to get into Rift over the last year and a half or so, and despite my best efforts, I just prefer World of Warcraft.

I find Rift to be a very solid, feature-rich game, but it just isn't my cup of tea.  I hate the game engine and how low-budget everything feels in comparison to WoW or other triple AAA MMORPGs even with all of Rift's additional features.  I find the quests boring, and the quests in the new expansion are a step down from the original game with their increased emphasis on mob grinding and directionless delivery.  I'm not a fan of the game world itself.  It's far too generic with mob designs that look like something out of a Korean F2P MMO.  Lastly, I'm just not a fan of the soul system.  In an age where most MMORPGs are going for a more streamlined skill system, Trion has gone the opposite route giving players even more totally useless skills and abilities to filter through when building their characters.  It also seemed like every time I would return to the game, one or more of my previous builds were wiped, forcing me to scour the forums for the current "best build" before I could even begin to get into enjoying the game.

Acvivm

Novice Member

12/12/12 7:26:39 AM#43
Originally posted by allegria
Originally posted by Warcannibal
Originally posted by evilastro
Originally posted by danwest58

So a lot of people are not enjoying WoW right now with the world full of dailies.  Many are wondeirng about what Rift has to offer.  I will offer this advice with Rift because about a dozen of my friends have come over and tried it most are staying.  I have heard what bugs them about Rift after only 15 or 20 minutes of game play.

First the soul system many of them are lost on.  They are so use to WoWs talents new and old that it confuses them.  Simple Solution use a cookie cutter builld and do as it tells you to do with your talent points.  Dont worry about being different until you learn your class and the different souls.

Second the looks can be odd, it took me 3 to 4 days back in Dec 2004 to get use to WoW's looks coming from SWG and FFXI.  I didnt like them at first and needed until level 18 to really get use to it.  After several hours of playing over a few days I seen other things that the world had to offer in the way of content and stuck around.  

Not saying everyone will love the game however just given advice on being a little open minded about the game.  Also try an instance you might like it.  

I don't see how the soul system could confuse anyone. The classes and combat in Rift are the dullest I have ever had the misfortune to experience in a game. Get a bunch of generic skills and shove them in a supermacro. So much fun, not.

Edit: I wouldnt be surprised if this was not so subtle Rift marketing. They have been pretty desperate with their 'please come back and play' emails lately.

THIS ^

Rift is a fantastic game that coulda-shoulda been.  Then they dumb down things like talents.  My "new" rogue uses 3 buttons for 25+ skills.  My "new" Warrior uses 2 macroes (builder.. finisher) for EVERY skill.

Rift is training wheels in the MMO world, the only reason they can keep charging money.  So many people are patting themselves on their own back for finishing end game in Rift, when in reality, WoW was too hard so they came to Rift.

-Dub-C-

what shocks me to this day, is that many people are calling WoW hard or difficult compared to newer releases ... and I do not disagree.. its just amazing how far the MMO genre has gone to cater to the casual.

What shocks me to this day, is that many people calling WoW easy never stepped one foot in a Hard Mode and base their entire idea of WoW difficulty on raid finder and normal questing and dungeons. Its amazing how far the MMO genre has gone to cater to the trolls and the ignorant.

HEAVEN OR HELL
Duel 1
Lets ROCK!

Acvivm

Novice Member

12/12/12 7:36:56 AM#44
Originally posted by SuperXero89

I've tried oh so hard to get into Rift over the last year and a half or so, and despite my best efforts, I just prefer World of Warcraft.

I find Rift to be a very solid, feature-rich game, but it just isn't my cup of tea.  I hate the game engine and how low-budget everything feels in comparison to WoW or other triple AAA MMORPGs even with all of Rift's additional features.  I find the quests boring, and the quests in the new expansion are a step down from the original game with their increased emphasis on mob grinding and directionless delivery.  I'm not a fan of the game world itself.  It's far too generic with mob designs that look like something out of a Korean F2P MMO.  Lastly, I'm just not a fan of the soul system.  In an age where most MMORPGs are going for a more streamlined skill system, Trion has gone the opposite route giving players even more totally useless skills and abilities to filter through when building their characters.  It also seemed like every time I would return to the game, one or more of my previous builds were wiped, forcing me to scour the forums for the current "best build" before I could even begin to get into enjoying the game.

That is pretty much my issue with Rift, I like some parts of the game but to me the world, lore and combat are all just so generic and uninteresting. I really want to play the game and see what the endgame has to offer but I just can't stand the leveling in the game and I would literally have to force myself through it. I also couldnt get into the the soul system, while expansive and open to making whatever build you like sounds cool, it also means that it is stock full of cloned skills and useless abilities that just needlessly complicate the whole system. Overall I think the Storm Legion expansion sounds great but there is just no way I could make it that far to actually try it.

HEAVEN OR HELL
Duel 1
Lets ROCK!

Siveria

Spotlight Poster

12/14/12 2:16:51 PM#45
The problem is, Rift is bascally wow in a new skin, So its like playing the same game with just better graphics. I tried the game and well, found it quite boring due to how it plays.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search