Trending Games | Dragon Age: Inquisition | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,580 Users Online:0
Games:685  Posts:6,081,917
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Has NCsoft shut down a game of yours?

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
141 posts found
  eyelolled

Advanced Member

I am more than some of my parts

12/05/12 10:04:06 PM#21

I never had a chance to use my auto assault key because I was too occupied with other games at the time.  That being said, I don't blame them for shutting that or any game down. They don't owe anybody a lifetime to a game.  Sure, it sucks to have an investment of time be washed away by someone else's decision, but if you were unwilling to accept the inevitable outcome, than you should have never played videogames in the first place.

If you can't deal with the fact that your favorite videogame has been shut down, regardless of developer, or determining factor you should never play a videogame again, ever.  It's at that point that the gaming hobby has become more than a pasttime, and in severe cases it could represent a need for professional help.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to be disappointed and even angry about things,  but it is just a videogame.  To try and rally a revolt about something like this seems a bit drastic, if you ask me.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

LhynnSaint

Novice Member

12/05/12 10:06:12 PM#22
Originally posted by DSWBeef
LOl This will result is exactly NOTHING HAPPENING

ya really think that. dont ya?

LhynnSaint

Novice Member

12/05/12 11:38:27 PM#23
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by Xondar123

Anyone who currently plays an NCSoft game, like Aion, GW1, GW2, etc, should see CoH as a warning that your game could be killed at any time for no reason at all.

That's true of any online game.  I've loved and played GW1 since it released and someday they will close it down.  That could be tomorrow or years from now.  That's the way online gaming is.  That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it though but don't expect the rest of us to stop gaming or stop playing NCSoft games because of it.

NC has given sub money back in the past and/or given credit to other things.  I think that is a good business gesture.

Well, as far as i know GW1 was in the red in the last Q, so it will probably be the next one to go away.

Not only that... NCsoft stock has been crashing so hard since the announcement of CoX closing that it the notion of them dying isnt that far from reality.

hfztt

Elite Member

12/06/12 1:06:11 AM#24

Dungeon Runners!

Funniest MMO ever. The ammount of MMO in-jokes in that game was incredible.

I miss it.

I am not going to jump on the OP bandwagon though...

miguksaram

Hard Core Member

12/06/12 1:15:10 AM#25

*diatribe on*

I'm sure many, especially those that feel a boycott is the right action to take, will find my opinion irrelevant and guess what?  That's ok because I'm not overly interested in yours either.

Things like these make me wonder if even a fraction of the community EVER bothers to read the EULA of the games they play or like many of us (myself included, at least the first few times I play something anyway) just click the little agree box and move on.  Clicking that little box specifically states you are agreeing to basically rent rights to someone elses IP and servers and as such owners of said IP/servers have the right to discontinue access at their discretion.

A EULA may not be a legal binding agreement but it certainly acts as a warning to those who plan to access a game that the developers can and will deny access/shut it down based on any reason they see fit.  To ignore this and then get all butt hurt later is basically asking for the whooping that turned thsoe cheeks red.  We may not like it, but it certainly should never come as a surprise regardless of the financial state of the game at the time the decision was made.  Just sayin...

*diatribe off* 

heocat

Apprentice Member

Oh $OEs involved?
No thx then

12/06/12 1:17:29 AM#26
Played dunfeon runners alot never saw a dead server there. Suprised me when it closed.  Always great after a bad day. thought auto assault was good too but never caught on had low servers.

xmenty

Advanced Member

12/06/12 1:45:27 AM#27

Ncsoft might be thinking why hire 46 dev trying to maintain an old game and only make 3% profit from it all the time.

Instead why don't they get that 46 dev to make new game and earn 50 - 100% profit for the company. 

And also who knows, might be in the future they will make a better COH / superheroes with all the new tech they have now.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

hellkat

Novice Member

12/06/12 1:54:13 AM#28
Originally posted by xmenty

Ncsoft might be thinking why hire 46 dev trying to maintain an old game and only make 3% profit from it all the time.

Instead why don't they get that 46 dev to make new game and earn 50 - 100% profit for the company. 

And also who knows, might be in the future they will make a better COH / superheroes with all the new tech they have now.

Paragon Studios WAS working on a brand new game, by all accounts about half the 80 strong dev team was working on the unknown project.

They'd also pitched making a CoH2 several years back, and that got shot down by NCSoft as well.

EvilMix

Novice Member

12/06/12 2:01:42 AM#29

I won't be supporting another NCSoft game again. Mind you, it isn't like the people who enjoy the super hero themed games are out of luck. There is Champions Online and DC Universe, both of which aren't anywhere close to CoH, CoH was my very first MMORPG. Used to play it with my cousin on the weekends, was so much fun.

Sad to see the game go, but I have a feeling it'll come back, or something close to it.

Reizla

Hard Core Member

MMORPGs are no longer about the mass multi-user anymore *sadly*

12/06/12 2:04:58 AM#30
Oh for the love of. If a game isnt making money or only making enough to support itself then why wouldnt they shut it down. I love Tabula Rasa but im not on some crusade against ncsoft becuase its gone.

2 points here....

1. Vanguard has been a money-loosing MMO for years yet $O€ kept it running...
  2. TR was not loosing money, but was shut-down as a crusade against Mr. Brittish.
But yeah, I've loved TR as well for the very short period I've played it, but won't go on a cusade against NCSoft.

Demigoth's RPG adventures ~ My blog
I am Blog ~ Free blogging service

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX660 SLI
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

superniceguy

Elite Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/06/12 2:13:18 AM#31
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by Xondar123

Anyone who currently plays an NCSoft game, like Aion, GW1, GW2, etc, should see CoH as a warning that your game could be killed at any time for no reason at all.

That's true of any online game.  I've loved and played GW1 since it released and someday they will close it down.  That could be tomorrow or years from now.  That's the way online gaming is.  That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it though but don't expect the rest of us to stop gaming or stop playing NCSoft games because of it.

NC has given sub money back in the past and/or given credit to other things.  I think that is a good business gesture.

It took me a month of contacting customer support to get refunds for COH. They kept refusing to give refunds until even after they posted the FAQ that said we could get refunds and they only then refunded me when I linked  to them

Online games do shut down, but NC Soft shut them down more easily, as they focus mainly on the Korean market than EU or NA.

Now with them in financiall crisis it makes them more likely to do so

I hope that they sell their non Korean side to a proper EU/NA company, that will secure more stability

I would only play any NC Soft game if I am prepared for a shut down announcement to come  the next day for a shut down 2-3 months later, which I am not, so I am not going to risk playing any NC Soft game while they are in control.

SOE is the safest, and if any company buys the NC Soft IPs, I hope it is them

emperorwings

Hard Core Member

12/06/12 2:19:08 AM#32
I remember Dungeon Runners. They ran it like it was from an indie company which isn't neccisarily a bad thing. That was a good game too.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Xondar123

Gumshoe

12/06/12 4:00:09 AM#33
Originally posted by xmenty

I think you've misdunderstood, CoH contributed 3% total to all of NCSoft's profits. Of all the profit NCSoft made, 3% of that was from CoH.

That's actually quite a significant number, and one wonders why NCSoft would rather shutter the game and lose 3% of their quarterly profits rather than keep the game open.

Further, you are aware NCSoft also closed down Paragon Studios and laid off all the employees, right? So they don't actually benefot from the freed up developers going to work on other projects.

xondar10 Xfire Miniprofile
  therain93

Novice Member

"Racing to endgame is like racing to the end of your vacation."

OP  12/06/12 5:34:09 AM#34
Originally posted by miguksaram

*diatribe on*

I'm sure many, especially those that feel a boycott is the right action to take, will find my opinion irrelevant and guess what?  That's ok because I'm not overly interested in yours either.

Things like these make me wonder if even a fraction of the community EVER bothers to read the EULA of the games they play or like many of us (myself included, at least the first few times I play something anyway) just click the little agree box and move on.  Clicking that little box specifically states you are agreeing to basically rent rights to someone elses IP and servers and as such owners of said IP/servers have the right to discontinue access at their discretion.

A EULA may not be a legal binding agreement but it certainly acts as a warning to those who plan to access a game that the developers can and will deny access/shut it down based on any reason they see fit.  To ignore this and then get all butt hurt later is basically asking for the whooping that turned thsoe cheeks red.  We may not like it, but it certainly should never come as a surprise regardless of the financial state of the game at the time the decision was made.  Just sayin...

*diatribe off* 

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and, frankly, I do think your opinion here is an important one up until thoselast 3 sentences.  No one is talking about butthurt, so let's not got there. Yes, we all click to accept a EULA before playing and do understand that we are paying for a service that could be terminated at anytime.  The difference between your attitude and those that would call for a boycott of NCsoft is that we're not looking to rollover and say, "okay, time to move on to the next treadmill you've created for me", but to actually start changing publisher behavior.

The mmorpg community has been outraged by a number of things over the years and has frequently clamored for consumer rights (aside from the closing of City of Heroes, the Star Wars NGE debacle and the quality of release of Vanguard immediately come to mind).  If there was *ever* a time that the gaming community can take a stand for itself, this is as close we will likely ever get to having the moral high ground.  Just sayin...

Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ESO, and Combat Arms

12/06/12 5:39:16 AM#35
Oh for the love of. If a game isnt making money or only making enough to support itself then why wouldnt they shut it down. I love Tabula Rasa but im not on some crusade against ncsoft becuase its gone.

Exactly. If anything, NCSoft has a history of keeping MMOs running long after most other comapnies would have shut them down - Auto Assault, Exteel, and Dungeon Runners are examples of that. None of those three would have lasted half as long as they did under some other publishers.

Boycott NCSoft? There's got to be better uses of one's time.

therain93

Novice Member

OP  12/06/12 6:05:17 AM#36
[mod edit]

We naturally make statements and opinions based on how informed we are of the world.  How those statements are perceived and judged naturally rests upon how well informed and motivated other people are.

• The City of Heroes community is a dedicated one that has had one of the better retention rates in the industry.
  • The City of Heroes community is a creative one, having generated an enormous amount of custom content in game and out. 
  • The City of Heroes community is a technically savvy one, having created its own set of character builder tools and the equivalent of the WoW armory, among other things. 
  • The City of Heroes community is a generous community, raising tens of thousands of dollars, most notably under the RealWorldHero and ExtraLife charities
  • The City of Heroes community is a highly organized community, having engaged in numerous demonstrations of civil disobedience against its closing.
The City of Heroes community has nothing left to lose and everything to gain by turning all of those resources against NCsoft, for the betterment of gamers everywhere.  We're operating under the assumption that the game won't came back, but what a statement it would make for gamers everywhere if it did.

In response to the City of Heroes community's initial calls to action after the closing announcment, NCsoft issued a press release on October 2nd stating that they  "exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful".  Since then, NCsoft's stance appears to have softened: The Korea Times article,  Unethical Game Closure, quotes an NCsoft spokesperson stating, "nothing had been decided on selling the game or other action afterwards.”

I respectively disagree, as something has been happening already.

therain93

Novice Member

OP  12/06/12 6:15:05 AM#37
Originally posted by Reizla
~bad-list~
$O€
$O€
$O€
...and... $O€

As you may have noticed, I've opted to quote your "profile quote".  I see some irony there.

You won't crusade against NCsoft even though they shut down a game you loved, Tabula Rasa, that was also making money, yet you appear to be carrying on a personal crusade against SOE.  That little quote shows up alongside all 2000+ of your posts.  It doesn't really take that much to make a stand, now does it? ( ' :

Edit:  Just want to clarify one thing.  I'm not saying you should join us crusading against NCsoft just because you have something against SOE -- hopefully that is obvious.  It's just that, clearly you have a (however small) personal crusade against SOE, so why would you speak against one organizing against NCsoft?  That's all. ( ' :

TsaboHavoc

Novice Member

12/06/12 6:24:43 AM#38
LOl This will result is exactly NOTHING HAPPENING

i dont play COH,  but after some readings on forums, NCSOFT wont see any dollars from me and the community close to me. so,yes, i can clarify u that at least 1 thing happened. From a business pov they lost more than the CoH community, they lost westerns costumers with more than 2 brain cells.it was 3% of ncsoft income and was a RELIABLE source of profit...

apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

12/06/12 6:25:23 AM#39
Originally posted by miguksaram

*diatribe on*

*diatribe off* 

Then why waste your time for nothing..nobodys positions on the matter has changed.  You self sabotaged your on diatribe on your 2nd sentance. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Wicoa

Advanced Member

12/06/12 6:36:17 AM#40

What the new crowd seem to forget and this saddens me. mmorpgs are supposed to be long term games.  They are set up and funded for the long term, they take a heavy amount of income at the start of the game through box or now digital sales.  The income then proceeds through subscriptions and store bought things and expansions.  It then moves much later down the road to maybe a slightly smaller crew with regular updates.

Look at EQ1 thats still going! Look at Ultima the original MMORPG... that is still going.  Funcoms anarchy online mmorpg is about to undergo a transformation with the conan graphics engine and guess what this means thats still going!

mmorpgs are not fire and forget projects.  They require a massive amount of regular time investment from the consumer.  I may not bother with any petition but I will blink twice when I think about playing an mmorpg from ncsoft.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search