Network:  RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,963,659 Users Online:0
Games:808  Posts:6,407,064
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » RIFT goes ftp in Korea Nov 20

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
26 posts found
  Nadia

Tipster

OP  11/15/12 1:17:13 PM#1

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/15/rift-going-f2p-in-korea-courting-wage-controversy-in-china/

You might recall that Trion exported its subscription-powered fantasy opus to Korea and China earlier this year, but now the former is offering up the first 49 levels of gameplay for free in an effort to "save sliding player numbers," according to a report at MMO Culture. The free-to-play version of RIFT Korea goes live on November 20th.

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

11/15/12 1:18:22 PM#2
woot, cant wait for NA transition too

Kaneth

Elite Member

11/15/12 1:20:32 PM#3
If Rift went the more B2P route, where I could buy the key and then play the game without a sub, I'd be all over it. The game didn't hold enough interest for me to plop 15 per month down for, sadly.
  rojoArcueid

Elite Member

11/15/12 1:21:52 PM#4
Originally posted by Kaneth
If Rift went the more B2P route, where I could buy the key and then play the game without a sub, I'd be all over it. The game didn't hold enough interest for me to plop 15 per month down for, sadly.

exactly the reason i dont resub. I like the game but its not worth the sub for me

Cod_Eye

Novice Member

11/15/12 1:22:36 PM#5

If thats not a contradiction then i don't know what is.

Whitebeards

Advanced Member

11/15/12 1:23:07 PM#6
Originally posted by rojo6934

exactly the reason i dont resub. I like the game but its not worth the sub for me

Well then you will be waiting for a long time. I don't think they will go F2P anytime soon.

jawali

Advanced Member

11/15/12 1:26:49 PM#7
this will be not f2p - but some sort of free trial to lvl 49, I wish Rift stay sub based game, cause as someone already stated  "I earn too little money to play f2p games;)"

Nadia

Tipster

OP  11/15/12 1:30:59 PM#8
Originally posted by jawali
this will be not f2p - but some sort of free trial to lvl 49, I wish Rift stay sub based game, cause as someone already stated  "I earn too little money to play f2p games;)"

this only for Korea

when a mmo is giving away 49 levels of their base game of 50 levels --- sounds ftp to me

not much different than SWTOR offering the first 50 levels for free

jawali

Advanced Member

11/15/12 1:33:18 PM#9
Originally posted by Nadia
Originally posted by jawali

this only for Korea

when a mmo is giving away 49 levels of their base game of 50 levels --- sounds ftp to me

not much different than SWTOR offering the first 50 levels for free

well, max lvl is 60 (and many features are available at lvl 50+), as well they are not giving free expansion, so it differs a bit from SWTOR model

Kuppa

Apprentice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

11/15/12 1:35:19 PM#10
Originally posted by biggarfoot

I don't see the contradiction....

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

11/15/12 1:44:19 PM#11
Originally posted by Whitebeards
Originally posted by rojo6934

Well then you will be waiting for a long time. I don't think they will go F2P anytime soon.

its ok, as i have said in other threads, the only reason i would resub to Rift is if Trion ever decides to cater to people who roll many alts and actually play the game for the Lore and how it relates to each race. Since this doesnt happen i dont need to resub. That doesnt mean i dont like the game of course.

ThomasN7

Novice Member

"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” - Mordin Solus

11/15/12 1:47:10 PM#12
Seems like the beginning of the end. The game isn't horrible but it isn't that good either. 
  Iechinok

Novice Member

11/15/12 6:27:26 PM#13

Believe it or not, this subject has already been discussed pretty thoroughly on several sites I've been through; surprising, since many people don't feel the need to admit they want to pay attention to Rift...

Anywho, the general concensus from what I've read and to paraphrase what Scott Hartman once mentioned is that Trion's basically extended the Rift Lite system for Korea, due to how Rift is catered largely toward a Western Market. As we all know, Koreans, or rather most of the Eastern market, like to play notoriously grindy games.  20 levels in an almost sonic-speed type leveling system that Rift has would be a small sitting for the Eastern market, as we might as well admit.

This combined with the fact that almost all of the more significant content is endgame, or 50+  (sadly), it would seem pretty logical to take a step like this in order to try to draw in more potential customers in the Eastern market.  This tactic, applied with the lure of expansion based content and souls, should be more than enough to get a decent rise out of the Eastern market in my opinion.

If I can find the link where Scott discussed expanding the Rift Lite system, I'll do my best to link it to you all.

SomeOldBloke

Apprentice Member

11/15/12 6:40:52 PM#14
Yet another reason to move to Korea.
  grimgryphon

Advanced Member

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

11/15/12 6:50:46 PM#15

Well, keep in mind that Korean players tend to be gear grinders (most of their games are based on it) and generally don't care about environment and story. Rushing to max level is the norm in gamers of that culture. All they're getting in Rift is a free tutorial.

As soon as they cap, they'll be clamoring for the grind and if they want to progress to 50 and beyond, they gotta pay.

It's a brilliant move on Trion's part, actually. gg

If the Internet proves anything, it's that nerds would have been bullies in real life if they'd had the muscles.

Torval

Elite Member

11/15/12 6:52:33 PM#16
I really wish they would go B2P with a cash shop. It is a very good game, but I don't think any game out at the moment is worth a subscription (avg $150 to $200 / year including xpacs and microtransactions).  They already have microtransactions and a template for a cash shop.  Why not just move all the way over.

Curse you AquaScum!

Ambros123

Novice Member

11/15/12 8:26:16 PM#17
Originally posted by grimgryphon

Well, keep in mind that Korean players tend to be gear grinders (most of their games are based on it) and generally don't care about environment and story. Rushing to max level is the norm in gamers of that culture. All they're getting in Rift is a free tutorial.

As soon as they cap, they'll be clamoring for the grind and if they want to progress to 50 and beyond, they gotta pay.

Actually the real reason that it's F2P is that A. Subs don't exist out there, take WoW for example and B. Rift is going up against WoW out there who clearly has the best raiding mechanics out there so Trion has to somehow entice people to at least try Rift.

Don't think for a second that they will apply a sub to the game and if they do then it'll flop out there.

Theocritus

Advanced Member

11/15/12 8:33:36 PM#18
Originally posted by Waybackwhen
Seems like the beginning of the end. The game isn't horrible but it isn't that good either. 

Wasn't there a thread not long ago on how it was going to kick WoWs butt?.....Doesnt sound like they are doing much butt kicking

Velocinox

Advanced Member

11/15/12 8:42:23 PM#19
Originally posted by Kuppa
Originally posted by biggarfoot

I don't see the contradiction....

Neither do I. MMOs that still charge monthly fees do it only out of greed. If a title like the AAA GW2 cand do it for a box price only, Any MMO can. And from what I have seen of both, GW2 > Rift like Gold > Fertilizer.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than the one you've become familiar with.

How to become a millionaire:
Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Torval

Elite Member

11/15/12 10:38:06 PM#20
Originally posted by Ambros123
Originally posted by grimgryphon

Actually the real reason that it's F2P is that A. Subs don't exist out there, take WoW for example and B. Rift is going up against WoW out there who clearly has the best raiding mechanics out there so Trion has to somehow entice people to at least try Rift.

Don't think for a second that they will apply a sub to the game and if they do then it'll flop out there.

Blade and Soul is subscription in Korea.

Curse you AquaScum!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search