Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,173 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,727
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » We dont want games - we want worlds.

37 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
735 posts found
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 10:40:04 AM#61
Originally posted by ezduzit

We the consumers are to blame. Players like mmo's like WoW (a game) and companies ran with it. Forever changing the face of world gaming. 

Thank God Sandbox MMO's are making a comback. 

"Blame"? It is what it is.

So what if people like WOW more than EQ and UO. The old days are not coming back. It is called progress. MMOs are much better games today.

Greymantle4

Elite Member

11/13/12 10:42:33 AM#62
Originally posted by nariusseldon

We the consumers are to blame. Players like mmo's like WoW (a game) and companies ran with it. Forever changing the face of world gaming. 

So what if people like WOW more than EQ and UO. The old days are not coming back. It is called progress. MMOs are much better games today.

Yes and so is the music 0_0 ....... oh wait 

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 10:52:24 AM#63
Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Yes and so is the music 0_0 oh wait ......

Personally i am not a music fan .. so i don't really care what is happening to the music industry.

The fact that MMO is moving in this direction is because that is what masses of players respond to. I don't see a reason not to put in more features to facilitate online play (like LFD) and more good single player game features (like difficulty levels) when that is what make games fun for many.

Whitebeards

Advanced Member

11/13/12 10:55:50 AM#64

Are you one of those 'your world is too mainstream' folks?

Greymantle4

Elite Member

11/13/12 10:59:17 AM#65
Originally posted by Whitebeards

Hey, I'm hip on Justin Beiber as much as the next guy.

Mike-McQueen

Novice Member

11/13/12 1:42:45 PM#66
Yep. Virtual world or nothing.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Timzilla

Apprentice Member

11/13/12 1:51:25 PM#67

I like games, myself. Something I can roll through in a month or so, or stay for longer if the end-game raid and gear grind is entertaining.

apocoluster

Novice Member

\m/,

11/13/12 1:53:13 PM#68
 The same problem i really have with this thread..much like the one started two weeks ago..with almost the same name...is the use of We.  Im sure you have plenty of people who agree with you, but to use "WE" implies that Everyone agrees with you.  Maybe for furture referance..the Poster should start with a " I dont want games..I want a world" as his title.  Just my 2 cents...feel free to whine and complain to each other now about how modern games suck.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 1:54:04 PM#69
Originally posted by apocoluster
 The same problem i really have with this thread..much like the one started two weeks ago..with almost the same name...is the use of We.  Im sure you have plenty of people who agree with you, but to use "WE" implies that Everyone agrees with you.  Maybe for furture referance..the Poster should start with a " I dont want games..I want a world" as his title.  Just my 2 cents...feel free to whine and complain to each other now about how modern games suck.

Exactly. I want games, not worlds.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

11/13/12 2:28:35 PM#70
Originally posted by Whitebeards

Hey, I'm hip on Justin Beiber as much as the next guy.

Because Paul Anka and Fabian never existed.....?    Sturgeon's Law, there's always a preponderance of ****.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Arglebargle

Elite Member

11/13/12 2:39:06 PM#71

The problem with all this bellyaching, is that you don't just want a 'virtual world', you want the perfect virtual world.   For whatever particular preferences you have.   While complaining about any others that miss on a thing or two.

Virtual Worlds type games are harder to run and harder to balance.  They are still required to show a profit, to keep the dev team in place.  The 'usual suspects' of UO and SWG had tremendous problems, whether you liked them or not.  Believe me, every week at Origin, the developers were running around trying to deal with some new exploit or flaw that was now being abused.  In UO at one point you could besiege cities by piling furniture up around them.  

Nothing against the concept, it's great that there are all sorts of different games out there.  But this idea that 'everyone' wants a particular type of sandbox is not easily supported.  There are even sandboxy worlds out there, but you will hear continual complaints about problems with them.  I mean, you could go play Eve, or Salem,  A Tale in the Desert or any number of other similar games.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Rheanon

Novice Member

11/13/12 3:54:45 PM#72
Originally posted by Lobotomist

I think that its high time for game companies that want to make MMOs to understand one simple thing about MMO player :

We dont want games - we want worlds.

We have millions of games - Halo , Super Mario , Starcraft , Monkey Island , Baldurs Gate ... to note few genre stars.

Now they want to take these games and add multiplayer aspect - and slap brand this MMORPG.

This my friends is the themepark world. And the direction its moving ( we are seeing mmofps , mmo platformer , mmo sport , even mmo adventure - beside more traditional mmorpg approach )

But this is not what we are here for ... not what we wanted...

When I played games before the era of internet , this was not what I dreamed of - Super Mario with oter people playing.

No.

What I dreamed was Ultima Online

This dream was shared in developer community that was young and not GREED oriented as today.

And than it stopped. Because its easier to just make a game and add multiplayer element.

And we have what we have today. Shallow abominations. Most laughable of which would be MMOs that came 2012. Basically Single player games with other people running around.

This. That much is obvious - will not fly anymore.

We want worlds.

You can call it sandbox. I call it Virtual world simulation games.

Worlds that have its rules , its economy , its inhabitants , its dangers , its politics - and than we are put inside - and become part of them.

Sadly only good and sucessful modern example of this is EVE online.

The game that caters bit to much to agressive player.... but there is so much potential around.

Will we ever see it ?

Yes, you will.  One week ago I was combing through this site feeling the exact way you do.  Remembering the good old days of UO.  No game out there comes anywhere close.  However, I was hoping against hope to find some game under development that would perhaps have some measure of what UO was.  I came across a post in this site, (forgive me I can't remember exactly which thread) that spoke about a new game under development whose creators were inspired by UO and wanted to create the same non-linear, skill-based world full of opportunities for players to play their own way, at their own pace. 

I went to the website link and read all about it.  It has all the UO elements with the beautifully rendered 3-D graphics that UO lacks.  It is not a theme-park.  It is a Sandbox.  It has a mature and growing following and a development team committed to bringing forth  an old school game inspired by UO.

Here is the link.  See for yourself. http://www.greedmonger.com/

The game has recently been added to the mmorpg.com gamelist.  I know that GreedMonger is the game old school players like me have been looking for for years.  The title is deceiving.  Go to the site with an open mind and see for yourself why the fan-base is growing exponentially every day.

Cephus404

Elite Member

11/13/12 4:09:56 PM#73

I'm cool if my game has a world in it.  I'm not going to treat it like a virtual escape though, I think anyone who does that is an idiot.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
Now Playing: None
Hope: None

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 4:37:38 PM#74
Originally posted by Cephus404

I'm cool if my game has a world in it.  I'm not going to treat it like a virtual escape though, I think anyone who does that is an idiot.

I agree. I don't object to have a world in my game. However, it should not impede convenience and fun. If that means i have to walk 20 min before something cool happens, i will pass.

nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 4:40:21 PM#75
Originally posted by Rheanon
Originally posted by Lobotomist

I think that its high time for game companies that want to make MMOs to understand one simple thing about MMO player :

We dont want games - we want worlds.

We have millions of games - Halo , Super Mario , Starcraft , Monkey Island , Baldurs Gate ... to note few genre stars.

Now they want to take these games and add multiplayer aspect - and slap brand this MMORPG.

This my friends is the themepark world. And the direction its moving ( we are seeing mmofps , mmo platformer , mmo sport , even mmo adventure - beside more traditional mmorpg approach )

But this is not what we are here for ... not what we wanted...

When I played games before the era of internet , this was not what I dreamed of - Super Mario with oter people playing.

No.

What I dreamed was Ultima Online

This dream was shared in developer community that was young and not GREED oriented as today.

And than it stopped. Because its easier to just make a game and add multiplayer element.

And we have what we have today. Shallow abominations. Most laughable of which would be MMOs that came 2012. Basically Single player games with other people running around.

This. That much is obvious - will not fly anymore.

We want worlds.

You can call it sandbox. I call it Virtual world simulation games.

Worlds that have its rules , its economy , its inhabitants , its dangers , its politics - and than we are put inside - and become part of them.

Sadly only good and sucessful modern example of this is EVE online.

The game that caters bit to much to agressive player.... but there is so much potential around.

Will we ever see it ?

Yes, you will.  One week ago I was combing through this site feeling the exact way you do.  Remembering the good old days of UO.  No game out there comes anywhere close.  However, I was hoping against hope to find some game under development that would perhaps have some measure of what UO was.  I came across a post in this site, (forgive me I can't remember exactly which thread) that spoke about a new game under development whose creators were inspired by UO and wanted to create the same non-linear, skill-based world full of opportunities for players to play their own way, at their own pace. 

I went to the website link and read all about it.  It has all the UO elements with the beautifully rendered 3-D graphics that UO lacks.  It is not a theme-park.  It is a Sandbox.  It has a mature and growing following and a development team committed to bringing forth  an old school game inspired by UO.

Here is the link.  See for yourself. http://www.greedmonger.com/

The game has recently been added to the mmorpg.com gamelist.  I know that GreedMonger is the game old school players like me have been looking for for years.  The title is deceiving.  Go to the site with an open mind and see for yourself why the fan-base is growing exponentially every day.

"crafting focus"? Looks like i will pass. Also it is a kictstarter .. so we don't even know if the game will actually be released. If they actually release the game, more power to them.

fernetek

Novice Member

11/13/12 5:03:13 PM#76
This is EXACTLY why I loved RIFT when it first came out. The danger of towns being taken over by monsters was constant, making it so you had to work with players to protect them. I LOVED it. 
  nariusseldon

Elite Member

11/13/12 5:27:31 PM#77
Originally posted by fernetek
This is EXACTLY why I loved RIFT when it first came out. The danger of towns being taken over by monsters was constant, making it so you had to work with players to protect them. I LOVED it. 

How about now? Do you stil love it?

Zekiah

Advanced Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

11/13/12 5:30:27 PM#78
Originally posted by fernetek

Hmm, I couldn't stomach going past 15 minutes into my second Rift beta. I think I dropped Rift faster than any other MMO I've played. Rifts were/are just gimmicks and themeparks are chock full of 'em.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

11/13/12 5:36:07 PM#79

You should see what they think of you.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Cephus404

Elite Member

11/13/12 5:55:52 PM#80
Originally posted by Kyleran

You should see what they think of you.

You seem to think I care.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
Now Playing: None
Hope: None

37 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search