Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,913 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,790
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » What does Rift offer a mostly solo player?

14 posts found
  tuppe99

Advanced Member

OP  10/26/12 6:38:26 AM#1

It has been ages since I last had any look at Rift's, so...

I am sorry to ask the question this way, but compared to WoW what does Rift offer me as a solo player?

I don't just solo, but I spend 90% of my time alone in the world, so I obviously want a ton of stuff to do, from exploring to professions to soloing old dungeons. I can do all of that in WoW, but since I am pissed off at them for forcing me to do dailies, I am looking at Rift again.

How does Rift's version of these compare and does it offer anything else for me to do?

Thanks!

velmax

Advanced Member

10/26/12 6:44:12 AM#2
Yow can do alot actually, You can obviously quest on your own and do invasions, but besided that you can do Chronicles, which are solo or duo dungeons that you can do alone or with a budddy. their are 3 of them right now and 4 on launch of SL. Also you can create dimensions on your own.
  User Deleted
10/26/12 6:45:42 AM#3
Trion has continued to add solo content and Storm Legion will be huge.  I was actually very impressed at how much there was to do in the 'activities' tab.  Oh, and dimensions (and checking the community favorite ones) are a blast.
  tuppe99

Advanced Member

OP  10/26/12 6:46:42 AM#4

So it is possible to solo these invasions I see as I quest? I always thought they were just for groups...

Ok, I have to read up on dimensions. No idea what they are ;)

saylorxi

Apprentice Member

10/26/12 7:20:48 AM#5
Originally posted by tuppe99

So it is possible to solo these invasions I see as I quest? I always thought they were just for groups...

Ok, I have to read up on dimensions. No idea what they are ;)

Most invasions are capabable of being solod though mileage will vary depending on your spec. I know you are interested in mostly solo content, but the public grouping makes it easy to jump in and out of groups who are also there doing rifts/invasions. Towards the end of many of the zone wide invasions there will be a boss that spawns on the map that you should join the group for.  Save up those stones you get for better gear :)

Dimensions are rifts version of housing coming out with expansion in Storm Legion. 

User Deleted
10/26/12 8:12:16 AM#6

questing
cooking
fishing
crafting
artifacts
chronicles
minor rifts
housing
world events

GoodAfternoon

Novice Member

10/26/12 12:40:08 PM#7
Originally posted by Foomerang

questing
cooking
fishing
crafting
artifacts
chronicles
minor rifts
housing
world events

achievement hunting

Rift

User Deleted
10/26/12 12:43:10 PM#8
Nothing thats worthy.  Its all an illusion, since this game is like all other WoW clones that cater to the super hardcore via "raid or die" mentality that plagues this genre.
  cronius77

Apprentice Member

10/26/12 12:48:35 PM#9
Originally posted by Zylaxx
Nothing thats worthy.  Its all an illusion, since this game is like all other WoW clones that cater to the super hardcore via "raid or die" mentality that plagues this genre.

please for the love of god go back to guild wars 2 and stop poluting every thread that isnt about GW2 .

Rift offers more then most games including GW2  for soloers at end game and leveling up. You get dimesions (housing similiar to minecraft creative) at storm legion release. You have 4 different ways to level to max level solo besides questing. Then at end game you have chronicles which most classes can solo , they are story mode dungeon minis that tell stories of the raids in rift and also award you about 5 gear marks . So you can do them daily and earn about 20 marks for expert gear instead of having to wait for groups to do expert mode dungeons. There is also two forms of pvp , conquest which is 3 faction pvp fighting over a large map domination or warfronts which is two teams with different objectives etc. rift has everything wow and GW2 has but about 10 times more for end game regardless of what the trolls from GW2 here say.

User Deleted
10/26/12 3:28:12 PM#10

Originally posted by GoodAfternoon

Originally posted by Foomerang questing cooking fishing crafting artifacts chronicles minor rifts housing world events
achievement hunting

Planar Attunement

tuppe99

Advanced Member

OP  10/27/12 2:02:34 AM#11
Thanks for all the feedback - It all sounds amazing...
  DSWBeef

Apprentice Member

10/27/12 2:07:12 AM#12
Thanks for all the feedback - It all sounds amazing...

And if you do get some friends or make some in game then you have access to experts and master mode dungeons. Think heroics then Heroics+. If you need a guild of a pve server feel free to message me.

Playing: Archeage Alpha, World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3
Waiting on: Archeage, Everquest Next and The Black Desert

templarx

Apprentice Member

10/28/12 2:52:08 AM#13

I must say i did find Rift very solo friendly or even "solo together" friendly.  Solo together meaning there are alot of group content in the world that you can join without making a group or doing anything different than when you were solo'ing. Similar to those GW2 events where everyone just gather stuff and carry it somewhere "on their own" to complete a group quest , or attack a boss and you just join and attack the boss with everyone else.

I do however feel, GW2 events are very static and predictable (it is in the exact same place, and exact same sequence of objectives). Rift's invasions and rifts are alot more dynamic, a rift can open up right on top of you where you thought you were safe, an invasion can start from anywhere in the zone and can overrun any little quest hub or town in its way. Sometimes you can solo defend  your little quest hub or even take it back by yourself, sometimes the super boss will be standing on it forcing you to move somewhere else or wait for help. 

Regardless all this content is "solo-together" content, you don't need to group with anyone. The map itself also indicates quite clearly where things are happening (i.e. where the invasions are hitting and where rifts are opening), it's up to you to figure out where to be, or where everyone else is. So yes, in a way it can happen that a large invasion happened just before you pitched up there and they are now occupying  the main town and there's not enough players to take it back, resulting in you having to take a detour or change your plans, but that is the interesting part of the game. Eventually players will take it back or it will reset etc (i.e failing the invasion) .

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

10/31/12 11:26:18 AM#14

It has been ages since I last had any look at Rift's, so...

I am sorry to ask the question this way, but compared to WoW what does Rift offer me as a solo player?

I don't just solo, but I spend 90% of my time alone in the world, so I obviously want a ton of stuff to do, from exploring to professions to soloing old dungeons. I can do all of that in WoW, but since I am pissed off at them for forcing me to do dailies, I am looking at Rift again.

How does Rift's version of these compare and does it offer anything else for me to do?

Thanks!

the best game on the market for a soloer who wants lots of things to do and explore is EQ2.

with a merc and some AAs you might even be able to solo current dungeons, or at least dungeons you are 5 levels or so above.

There are tons of heritage quests which are multi step quests for items you can wear or display in your house.

There are both persistent dungeons and instances to explore.  Lots of races and classes to choose from.

Rift is possibly the best game for the gear grinder max level type, but if you want to explore and do stuff, check EQ2 out