Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Black Desert

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,921,832 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,596
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Rift Forum » General Discussion » Honest opinions of Rift

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
60 posts found
  Puremallace

Novice Member

4/05/12 10:57:12 PM#41
Originally posted by niceguy3978
  I use to be impressed with their rait of content production, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months.  I wonder if they will get it back to what it was for the first 6 months or so after release.  I wish every company would put out content at the rate Trion did in the beginning.
lol what?
February 2011: Beta to Head Start
March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1
May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2
June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3
August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4
September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5
November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6
February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7
Next one is arounf April 18th. You realize people have actually used the fast content schedule in some perverse way as a reason to unsub lol
  Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

4/05/12 10:57:21 PM#42

I feel that Rift is one of the most underrated games on the market today. It is a very entertaining game and has the most diligent development team in the industry in my opinion. I think once it is said and done, this game will have almost everything that fans want in an MMO, because Trion wants to please their customers. If/when they implement player housing and better crafting, I am going back to it for good.

ElderRat

Novice Member

4/05/12 11:00:39 PM#43
Originally posted by Chrisbox

I never tried this game, however I have been hearing alot about it lately.  I know that it shares alot of similarities with WAR [ Which is one of my favorite games of all time]  so I could possibly be interested in trying it out sometime.  I'd like to no a little more about it though like how fun is the leveling [ boring WoW grind? I hope not ] , how is the end game progression and pvp? Things like that.

I found it fun, though not challenging and eventually I quit it.  May go back to it at some point but am concentrating on 2 single player games instead of paying a monthly sub.

Currently bored with MMO's.

natuxatu

Spotlight Poster

Bookah

4/05/12 11:03:51 PM#44

Honestly opinion: It's ok... which I guess is the biggest dissapointment. There is really nothing exciting about the Rifts themselves which was suppose to be the big draw to the game. The quests are also absolutely forgetable that you'll stop reading them fairly shortly... at least I did.

BUT it's pretty and the combat and skills are decent enough, the sound is probably one of it's strongest aspects. Casting spells was always satisfying. But there is just other MMOs like WoW, LoTRO, or any fo them really that have at least SOMETHING that makes them stand out.. Rift does not.

edit: as some have mentioned though it has done a fantastic job with adding new content and updating the game ect.

rojoArcueid

Advanced Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

4/05/12 11:09:54 PM#45

I would have stayed in Rift if Trion had added the replayability that other themeparks have. For example, different story for each race in their own areas (even if they all gather at some points, like WoW after the starting areas). Also the lack of Major cities in some areas turned me down. I am not the kind of person who sticks to 1 character. I never play less than 3 characters and i couldnt handle the repetition in Rift with every single character i rolled. The game is not bad, but its not a home for me. Sometimes i log in to the trial client to do some low level quests and hang around with low lvl peeps, nothing more.

Puremallace

Novice Member

4/05/12 11:12:38 PM#46

Rift is a game that has never really been given a chance. I mean it came out of closed beta in  December of 2010 and if you talk to anyone everyone talked about Star Wars coming out in March and Guild Wars coming out in July 2011 and how those games were what was really important.

Now look at those people 1 year later. TOR has proved to be massively over hyped and poorly managed by a dev team out of touch with reality and caught up in their own hype. GW2 is what still 5-6+ months away if not more.

Rift is free until level 20. Stop being a sheep and go play for yourself. Most of the tools posting in this thread have not played the game since the 1st months over half of them have Guild Wars 2 signatures, so take their opinion with a grain of salt. I am still waiting for someone to explain how the hell is Rift expected to compete with blind hype.

You realize if Trion had listened to half of the crap you see people throwing around we would of had Ilum on launch and you see how much of a disaster that turned out to be. WvW is being hyped like it is jesus incarnent when all it really is Aions abyss concept with 3 servers. Take the lag you had in Aion and multiply it by 1,000, then you will understand why WvW will not work.

People just want to right tthe game off as a WoW clone, so now you have a whole bunch of people creating a unbelievable toxic community over in WoW because they are bored silly. Read a WoW forum lately and see how bad it is getting as they get strung along from patch to long drawn out patch, then get told to pay $60 for shit I am getting for my monthly sub. The entire mmorpg community is full of shit.

niceguy3978

Elite Member

4/06/12 1:00:49 AM#47
Originally posted by Puremallace
  I use to be impressed with their rait of content production, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months.  I wonder if they will get it back to what it was for the first 6 months or so after release.  I wish every company would put out content at the rate Trion did in the beginning.
lol what?
February 2011: Beta to Head Start
March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1
May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2
June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3
August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4
September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5
November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6
February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7
Next one is arounf April 18th. You realize people have actually used the fast content schedule in some perverse way as a reason to unsub lol

Going by that timeline the length between updates has increased between 40-50% which is quite a bit.  I can't imagine anyone being daft enough to cancel over content coming in too fast, but I guess there are people who will quite literally complain over anything.  I am not bashing the game when I ask this question, but it is an honest one.  Do you know/have any idea why the increase in time between content updates?  It went from anywhere between 1 month to 1 1/2 months for the first 6 months or so and up to 2 - 2 1/2 months for the last 6 months or so.  I'm not claiming that they aren't putting content out faster than anybody else at the moment because it would appear that they are.  I was just commenting that it has slowed down (and we can argue over the semantics of what "quite a bit means" but I don't think we'll get very far).  I just wonder why that is?  (I honestly have no idea nor much of a theory).

User Deleted
4/06/12 1:03:28 AM#48

Originally posted by bigsmiff
I feel that Rift is one of the most underrated games on the market today. It is a very entertaining game and has the most diligent development team in the industry in my opinion. I think once it is said and done, this game will have almost everything that fans want in an MMO, because Trion wants to please their customers. If/when they implement player housing and better crafting, I am going back to it for good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

User Deleted
4/06/12 1:06:06 AM#49

great developement team, fastest output on content in history, the Rifts were a nice change from the static backdrop type games.

The only two complaints i've ever had about this game were :

1. not enough choices in Rift events almost all of them are kill kill kill
  2. end game currency grind is off the charts long, too much coin needed to get geared well.

teakbois

Apprentice Member

4/08/12 4:58:37 AM#50
Originally posted by itgrowls

great developement team, fastest output on content in history

Go back and look at history.  Free content?  Yes.  Overall content?

EQ2, Guild Wars (if it counts as an MMO), EQ1 (by an ENORMOUS margin), DAoC

LOTRO will end up being faster as well

Yes, all those games relied on expansion but most had a lot of free content as well.  Doesnt change the fact that they added more content than Rift did during the first 13+ months of the game.

They also all started out signficantly larger than Rift

teakbois

Apprentice Member

4/08/12 5:08:33 AM#51

Going by that timeline the length between updates has increased between 40-50% which is quite a bit.  I can't imagine anyone being daft enough to cancel over content coming in too fast, but I guess there are people who will quite literally complain over anything.  I am not bashing the game when I ask this question, but it is an honest one.  Do you know/have any idea why the increase in time between content updates?  It went from anywhere between 1 month to 1 1/2 months for the first 6 months or so and up to 2 - 2 1/2 months for the last 6 months or so.  I'm not claiming that they aren't putting content out faster than anybody else at the moment because it would appear that they are.  I was just commenting that it has slowed down (and we can argue over the semantics of what "quite a bit means" but I don't think we'll get very far).  I just wonder why that is?  (I honestly have no idea nor much of a theory).

Im sure a lot of the first couple patches was stuff being worked on in development.  And the main thing of the february patch was the gear progression smoothing, so the last significant content was november which is why it feels even longer.  From mid november to mid april is 5 months of little content.  Of course the april patch looks huge which is why its taking so long.  Its been 9 months since the last 20 man.

PulseZero

Apprentice Member

4/08/12 12:43:53 PM#52

Needed a new game as I left WoW. I tried the free trail and it seemed interesting so I subbed for a month. I am much more of a pvp'er and things weren't too great. Warfronts before lv 50 was rampant with twinks. It only takes one or two twinks to ruin the game as they usually steamroll the other team. If the twink is on my side, I don't have fun because it's basically just easy mode. I thought at 50 it would be better but I was wrong... sorta. It was better but you can still get clobbered by someone with better gear. And by clobbered I mean almost no chance of winning if your opponent is runed up and in pvp gear. So I though I'd just spend the time to get the favor pvp gear, but it takes an enormous amount to get the higher end stuff. So I have to spend a crazy amount of time just to be on par with most people. I'll play until the end of my sub to see how things go, but I'll most likely be switching to guildwars 2

TheMinn

Novice Member

Kiss me like you mean goodbye," said the spider to the fly.

4/08/12 12:46:46 PM#53

Hated it at first. Went back a few months later and they fixed the game engine....my framerate was tons better. At that point I was also enjoying it a lot more. But with a few "Different" type of MMOs coming out this year (and Diablo3) I took a back seat. I am looking forward to GW2. I tried Tera but I just did not dig the combat. But if you are into the type of MMO RIFT is then please play it. Trion did a really good job. But i do think it will be the last of its generation in terms of how it plays, granted there will be more fantasy MMOs but none that are of that formula. 

Arkinia

Apprentice Member

Actual MMORPG memeber since 2004!

4/08/12 12:48:35 PM#54

I really enjoyed Rift up to level 32 or so. I just couldn't dig the repetetive hubs every few levels. One major city? It had some very cool things like RIfts, which I thought were great until the 100th one I had to encounter then try to avoid like the plague. Also, everything seemed pretty dark, I had a hard time seeing where I was going at times. I know this poat may sound trivial but I just couldn't login after a few months, although I tried!

GoodAfternoon

Novice Member

4/08/12 4:04:15 PM#55
Originally posted by Arkinia

I really enjoyed Rift up to level 32 or so. I just couldn't dig the repetetive hubs every few levels. One major city? It had some very cool things like RIfts, which I thought were great until the 100th one I had to encounter then try to avoid like the plague. Also, everything seemed pretty dark, I had a hard time seeing where I was going at times. I know this poat may sound trivial but I just couldn't login after a few months, although I tried!

The darkness could possibly have been fog. There was a world event where you couldn't see very fat because of this black  fog that was everywhere in Telara. 

Rift

IrishChai

Hard Core Member

4/08/12 7:56:30 PM#56
Originally posted by GoodAfternoon
Originally posted by Arkinia

The darkness could possibly have been fog. There was a world event where you couldn't see very fat because of this black  fog that was everywhere in Telara. 

I don't think that was it because I've been experiencing the same problem lately (although might be different for Arkinia). I can counter it by adjusting the gamma or syncing with my desktop settings, but then it starts to look pale and washed out like the brightness is too high. There was nothing in between. All the colors look perfect when the brightness is at default but nighttime or dark places almost make it unplayably dark. So I haven't figured that out yet although I'm currently subscribed and love the game otherwise. Maybe I just have to give my character a curfew so he doesn't travel at night. lol

edit p.s. I'd actually be pretty happy if there was some way to light up the area around me with a torch or something. As dark as it is for me at times, it feels more immersive since it occurs at the times when it should be hard to see. Problem is I have to kinda cheat my way out of the issue with setting the gamma too high.

User Deleted
4/08/12 11:38:59 PM#57
Originally posted by teakbois
Originally posted by itgrowls

great developement team, fastest output on content in history

Go back and look at history.  Free content?  Yes.  Overall content?

EQ2, Guild Wars (if it counts as an MMO), EQ1 (by an ENORMOUS margin), DAoC

LOTRO will end up being faster as well

Yes, all those games relied on expansion but most had a lot of free content as well.  Doesnt change the fact that they added more content than Rift did during the first 13+ months of the game.

They also all started out signficantly larger than Rift

Which sort of proves my point about Rift doesn't it, what were those other Dev teams doing with all that time and money they collected at launch, it's one of the reasons why people are tired of spending a monthly fee on games when devs do nothing to improve the game with the monthly fee alone, and charge more for "features" they should have put into a patch rather then an added expense of an expansion.

All of those titles charged extra for content they claimed were expansions, EQ was the very worst of the worst about that.(RIFT) is better, has faster content WITHOUT expanions or expansion money, you know when the devs actually USE the $15 a month for something other then their yacht parties as appreciation to their playerbase.

Secondly they are the fastest to release non-expansion content in history because all of those that you mentioned? yeah they charged for it, and some of the money they charged on expansions supposedly (HA HA) paid for the other later releases down the road. IE the three major patches of Cataclysm for example. 

Like i said, the only reason i am not on Rift atm is due to their extremely crazy grind at the end game to get any type of weaponry or armor end game. I'm not a hardcore player so games to me should never become a second job.

Now of late they have become slower then they were at releasing their stuff but that doesn't mean they haven't blown other devs out of the water, Blizzard wouldn't even mention their name after they lost the 1.9 million players to them at Rift's Launch.

wihtgar

Advanced Member

4/10/12 9:56:40 AM#58

I enjoy Rift.  I just started playing it a few weeks ago.  I have leveled up one 50 and am in the process of leveling another.   As others have alluded to, the fastest way to level up is to grind PvP.    So I just do PvP with the occassional dungeon crawl to get some gear.  Otherwise its pvp all day on my alts.  

I think the game has a lot going for it.  The Dev's seem genuiinely interested in pleasing hte player base.  The raiding is decent.  The PVE is pretty good.  The PvP isn't great, but its good for leveling.  I would say the PvP is on par with WoW (unless you like arenas which it does not have.... and fortunately which I never liked).

Anyway I recommend Rift.  Try it out.  Play it some.

Artymus77

Novice Member

4/10/12 2:44:54 PM#59
Originally posted by Mothur

I don't like it, just as "that other game" it has a very strong urge for me to return but the leveling is as monotonous as can be and the grind to level fifty is just plain horrible. But that's about the only reason I don't like it, there's plenty to do at max level but I'm not going anywhere there because of the horrible grind.

so question do you want to play a game that the level cap is 50 lets say, so WTFH do you just want to create a toon and boom they "GIVE" you lvl 50.  God i wish life was just sooo that dam easy.  Gotta at least work for it, i mean crap i work for my stuff i hate having stuff "handed" to me i want to do the job earn the respect.  Hate this crap where certain people think they should just be given stuff for free and not work for it.  And now back to the main topic, i think RIFT is a very fun game that has tons of potential just like the other MMOs i play STO, and SWTOR.  I believe RIFT is F2P up to lvl 20 all i can say is give it a try if you like keep playing it if not dont play it, its that simple.

User Deleted
4/12/12 7:02:47 AM#60
Originally posted by bigsmiff

I agree with this, if they developing the crafting so player made gear is as good as rift drops (although I think it's good now) and create a more player built environment, it will be unstoppable. It's totally themepark but a few sandbox elements are the way to go.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search