Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,573 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,983
Rift (Rift)
Trion Worlds | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/01/11)  | Pub:Trion Worlds
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » The 'Group Play vs Solo Play in an MMO' Thread

106 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
2113 posts found
  Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:03:20 PM#21
Originally posted by xephonics

No, he is saying the extremes want to make it so everyone has to play by their style.  When it should really be everyone gets to play their toon/char/etc with thier own play style, and not try to tell others how to play.

Great logic you got there, I agree. Then he tells everyone to play his playstyle instead. Kinda defeat the point of his post.

FF:ARR FATE grinding: People not having fun by doing something not actually intended to get to a point that doesn't really matter as fast as possible. Just so they can do the same thing over and over again to gain a piece of virtual loot.

xephonics

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:04:58 PM#22

No one is telling anyone else to play by any style.  Each person gets to pick their own.  How you cannot understand simple statements is beyond me.

Maybe i'm being harsh and it is a language barrier, I dont know how fluent you are in English.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:05:11 PM#23
Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Allow me to analyze your logic here, if I may.

You consider me to be the bad guy because I want to play the game my way.

In your mind, I should be willing to sacrifice my own enjoyment, just to make things better for a handful of vocal extremists who spend most of their time belittling my preferences on forums.

Do I look like bloody Gandhi to you?

No, I consider you to be a hypocrite.

In my mind, you're telling that we should sacrifice our own enjoyment, just to make things better for for some other group of people with different preferences.

FF:ARR FATE grinding: People not having fun by doing something not actually intended to get to a point that doesn't really matter as fast as possible. Just so they can do the same thing over and over again to gain a piece of virtual loot.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:06:23 PM#24

No one is telling anyone else to play by any style.  Each person gets to pick their own.  How you cannot understand simple statements is beyond me.

But when game's don't support any other playstyle than his, only he gets to pick his own playstyle.

xephonics

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:07:33 PM#25

How is someone soloing impeding on anyone else's game play?  And how is a group impeding on soloers?

Why can't person A play how person A wants to play, and Person B can play how person B wants to play?

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:09:14 PM#26

How is someone soloing impeding on anyone else's game play?  And how is a group impeding on soloers?

Why can't person A play how person A wants to play, and Person B can play how person B wants to play?

Ask that from the developers, not me.If you design the game in a specific way, you step on one playstyle's shoes while catering to the other. I wish it wasn't like that, but what can I do.

Ilvaldyr

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:11:05 PM#27
Originally posted by Hyanmen

No, I consider you to be a hypocrite.

In my mind, you're telling that we should sacrifice our own enjoyment, just to make things better for for some other group of people with different preferences.

No .. I'm telling you to recognize what having niche preferences means.

It means that you don't get everything you want, because giving you what you want means that the majority of the playerbase don't get what they want.

Also, replace the highlight with "the vast majority of other players".

Edit for clarification: I enjoy both group and solo content.

An extremist demanding 100% soloable content trivializes the group playstyle.
An extremist demanding 100% group content excludes the solo playstyle.
Having both types of content doesn't exclude anyone or trivialize gameplay.

I'm happy to let you group if that is your preference. I just want the freedom to solo too.

That doesn't make me the hypocritical one in this conversation.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift

xephonics

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:11:07 PM#28

No, I was asking you why you thought someone playing solo is hurting someone else's gameplay.

I know devs make the games they want to make, me pissing and moaning will do nothing.  I merely choose to play games that allow for my own playstyle.  I don't join a game that forces grouping and then whine to try and get it changed. 

Archemorous

Apprentice Member

12/24/09 1:13:38 PM#29

Ask that from the developers, not me.If you design the game in a specific way, you step on one playstyle's shoes while catering to the other. I wish it wasn't like that, but what can I do.

When alot of people choose a certain gamestyle, it is true that they indirectly move the genre in a specific way, and developers try to follow it, but to blame the people that choose whats fun for them for your lack of fun is ridiculous. Blame developers for not making enough niche games, but dont blame the players for choosing how to spend their time.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:14:49 PM#30

It means that you don't get everything you want, because giving you what you want means that the majority of the playerbase don't get what they want.

So majority's opinion is more important than mine? You are the bad guy after all. Every game must cater to your kind, because if it doesn't, it will cater to niche, and that can't be allowed.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:17:20 PM#31

No, I was asking you why you thought someone playing solo is hurting someone else's gameplay.

I know devs make the games they want to make, me pissing and moaning will do nothing.  I merely choose to play games that allow for my own playstyle.  I don't join a game that forces grouping and then whine to try and get it changed. 

It doesn't, but that's not what Ilvaldyr is talking about. "Majority's opinion decides the playstyle of everyone". That's what's hurting my gameplay.

toddze

Advanced Member

I am not a hater, I call it like I see it.

12/24/09 1:17:35 PM#32

My opinion: If you want to play solo, play a SINGLE player game. If you want to play with other people play a MULTIPLAYER game. Playing solo in a multiplayer game is an oxymoron.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

Ilvaldyr

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:18:07 PM#33

So majority's opinion is more important than mine? You are the bad guy after all. Every game must cater to your kind, because if it doesn't, it will cater to niche, and that can't be allowed.

As per my edited post above:

I don't want to deny you your content. I want to enjoy mine, which happens to be the majority.
You want to remove my content (the majority one) to promote yours (the minority one).

Yours is the unreasonable demand.

Ilvaldyr

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:20:14 PM#34
Originally posted by toddze

My opinion: If you want to play solo, play a SINGLE player game. If you want to play with other people play a MULTIPLAYER game. Playing solo in a multiplayer game is an oxymoron.

Communal solo play in a persistent world is not the same as a single player game.

Different playstyle, different game experience.

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:21:29 PM#35

As per my edited post above:

I don't want to deny you your content. I want to enjoy mine, which happens to be the majority.
You want to remove my content (the majority one) to promote yours (the minority one).

Yours is the unreasonable demand.

So now you're having a white knight syndrome as well? Thou are the holy one and the bad extremists want to do bad things for everyone.

All both groups of extremists need is one game that caters to them. From where you figured out that we're trying to take over the world, I don't know. That "holier than thou" attitude is pretty retarded nonetheless.

Archemorous

Apprentice Member

12/24/09 1:22:58 PM#36

I find it sad that everyone is ignoring my very logical previous post on where to lay the blame :,-(

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:24:13 PM#37
Originally posted by Archemorous

When alot of people choose a certain gamestyle, it is true that they indirectly move the genre in a specific way, and developers try to follow it, but to blame the people that choose whats fun for them for your lack of fun is ridiculous. Blame developers for not making enough niche games, but dont blame the players for choosing how to spend their time.

Developers affect the way people choose their playstyle by making one or the other simpler, easier, or more fun. Free will doesn't exist!

Archemorous

Apprentice Member

12/24/09 1:26:11 PM#38

Developers affect the way people choose their playstyle by making one or the other simpler, easier, or more fun. Free will doesn't exist!

Highlighted for 'win'. Sounds good to me, thats why I play these things! =D

Hyanmen

Elite Member

12/24/09 1:28:13 PM#39

Highlighted for 'win'. Sounds good to me, thats why I play these things! =D

Well, not that I was blaming the players anyway. If I were to play a solo MMO, I'd solo in it most likely. Can't really be blamed for doing that when it's much simpler.

Ilvaldyr

Novice Member

12/24/09 1:29:22 PM#40

So now you're having a white knight syndrome as well? Thou are the holy one and the bad extremists want to do bad things for everyone.

All both groups of extremists need is one game that caters to them. From where you figured out that we're trying to take over the world, I don't know.

How difficult is this to understand?

A game can give us both the content that we want.
You want a game that has only your content.

I've no problem with games being made that cater to the extremists. They already have been. Games like Darkfall. FFXI. EQ. DDO. What I do have a problem with is people like you who feel compelled to belittle everyone elses preferences and prattle on about how the genre is going down the toilet because not every AAA released game supports your own.

106 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search