Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,698 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,546
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Pay once, play forever ad

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
49 posts found
  Renoaku

Advanced Member

12/11/12 5:01:48 AM#21

AD is misleading but so is their fine print TERMS & CONDITIONS.

I clicked the link I saw no Terms & Conditions.

I also saw I had to buy the game okay so I buy it for the flat rate the game sells for I play forever that is buy once, if I have to make an additional purchase their ad is misleading big times.

I thought about trying the game again see if all their lag and bugs improved but unless its going F2P not going to try I even tried to login with my account it gives me the password error while I know my password its because its not activated not an activated error like it should. FunCom really isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

alakram

Advanced Member

12/11/12 5:05:50 AM#22
Originally posted by Drakaden
So as many must have noticed by now there's this secret world pay once play forever ad, with that haunting little * near it, i've checked both steam and their web site, and i still see a monthly sub based pricing, are they trying to push false marketting?

and at the bottom of the add it says: *Terms of service apply

-=AlaKraM=-
Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
My Lord of the Rings Gallery

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

12/11/12 5:24:08 AM#23

I assumed they were talking about the Lifetime Subscription.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

immodium

Hard Core Member

12/11/12 5:32:43 AM#24

I just thought it was good advertising.

Paying once for a sub based game means you don't play forever, you obviously got bored after the first month.

Paying once, Play forever suggests to me the game is that addictive that you will play forever but you will keep on paying.

It's like with food, one taste and you'll be hooked.

I could be totally wrong though.

FromHell

Novice Member

12/11/12 5:41:17 AM#25
Originally posted by zellmer
[mod edit]

/facepalm

what's not to understand? there is a grandmaster pack add-on on checkout which means buy2play lifetime sub, available since launch.

or you just like to bash the little independent companies? 

You prefer EA would buy them and ruin Funcom too? I hope not because I love the game and FC is the most creative dev out there imho

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

12/11/12 5:48:43 AM#26

/shrug... no game has ever been made more fun by not charging a sub and seeing as I didn't like this game enough to spend money on it there is no way I would spend my time on it.

That aside... they are coming at this from the wrong end it seems to me. Instead of dropping the sub they would be better dropping the client price and giving 2 a weeks free trial before asking for a sub.

Oh yeah, and dropping the cash shop would be a great idea as well from a PR perspective, considering the backlash that is finally starting to kick in against the 'micro' transaction model amongst consumers.

No Client cost, free trial, and charging a competitive ongoing sub would save this game IMO.

Po_gg

Elite Member

12/11/12 6:02:54 AM#27

I don't think it's referring even the Grandmaster pack, with Joel's doomsayer video and the " *Terms and condition" stuff I think it's simply means: pay once (buy the box with the 30 days included) and play forever, as in 12.12.21 since after that nobody will play :)

(just a wild guess, I admit I didn't read through the terms&cond. page for changes, but honestly, they can put that one line anytime... in case of doomsday we hold the right to stop the service :) )

Margrave

Advanced Member

12/11/12 6:27:05 AM#28
I kind of hope it does go B2P like GW2. I would love that.
  allendale5

Novice Member

12/11/12 7:03:37 AM#29
so at $200 for lifetime, that would be about 13 months (not counting multi-month discounts), so how many of us play a game for 13 months?  Might be a good idea for those that already love the game and know that they are going to play.  
  Margrave

Advanced Member

12/11/12 7:11:28 AM#30

Currently I play GW2 a bunch and love it. I've even bought a few things from their cash shop. If TSW goes with that model, since I've already bought the box, I will play it once more; however, if they're wanting $200 dollars from me I will just continue to play other titles.

Could just be me.

bcbully

Elite Member

12/11/12 7:18:06 AM#31
Originally posted by Margrave

The problem is B2P doesn't make any money as shown by the NCsoft qt report. A game with a much smaller sub base like B&S (I saw 285k mentioned in some professional analysis) or Aion will far out perform GW2 over the course of the year.

Funcom needs to make money.  I think a drop the box cost and just charge a sub would be a better way to go for long term health.

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

Zzad

Hard Core Member

12/11/12 7:24:39 AM#32

If it goes BTP...i´ll be definetly giving it a try!

Played the beta and didn´t get hooked on it....so that change would be very appreciated^^

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

12/11/12 1:28:02 PM#33
Originally posted by bcbully

The problem is B2P doesn't make any money as shown by the NCsoft qt report. A game with a much smaller sub base like B&S (I saw 285k mentioned in some professional analysis) or Aion will far out perform GW2 over the course of the year.

Funcom needs to make money.  I think a drop the box cost and just charge a sub would be a better way to go for long term health.

Wow wait what now?! Were are you coming up with this?? Their performance was very good in their report. Talking about how will they perform over the course of a year can't really be talked about until.....a year has passed lol.

botrytis

Hard Core Member

12/11/12 1:35:03 PM#34

Actually the NCSoft 3rd quarter report was already dissected - for ONE MONTH - GW2 MADE 27% of the profit for NCSoft for the WHOLE 3RD QUARTER. B&S made more -29% and that was for 3 months with sub.

Back OT, I think it is a little False advert, but it would be B2P then.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

killion81

Advanced Member

12/11/12 1:42:13 PM#35
Originally posted by botrytis

Actually the NCSoft 3rd quarter report was already dissected - for ONE MONTH - GW2 MADE 27% of the profit for NCSoft for the WHOLE 3RD QUARTER. B&S made more -29% and that was for 3 months with sub.

B2P doesn't continually generate revenue is what should have been said.  GW2 had a great first month that included all preorders and initial sales.  I would not expect any other month to come even close to that.  Funcom does not need a one time injection of money burdened with continual costs.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

12/11/12 1:45:27 PM#36
Originally posted by killion81
Originally posted by botrytis

B2P doesn't continually generate revenue is what should have been said.  GW2 had a great first month that included all preorders and initial sales.  I would not expect any other month to come even close to that.  Funcom does not need a one time injection of money burdened with continual costs.

GW2 relies on the CS and expasions for their revenue. That first quarter was definately good sales more than anything, we would have to wait for further reports to see how well the model can do.

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

12/11/12 1:53:50 PM#37
Probably to cover there asses, since people will go "I paid for 1 month i get it free forever now!" and try to sue them for it.
  Ryowulf

Hard Core Member

12/11/12 1:58:05 PM#38
Originally posted by Kuppa

Wow wait what now?! Were are you coming up with this?? Their performance was very good in their report. Talking about how will they perform over the course of a year can't really be talked about until.....a year has passed lol.

The haters don't reply on the truth.  Good news is bad and bad news is worse.

GR3NDEL

Novice Member

12/11/12 2:22:51 PM#39

I think it's interesting to speculate about what the advert might mean - since it popped up just as the new ARG got underway, I have no doubt that it's connected.

However, we won't know for sure until more information is released so... /shrug

Personally, I think speculating about the new ARG is much more satisfying than wondering about the business model... I mean, hasn't that horse been ground to glue by now anyway?

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

12/11/12 5:45:10 PM#40

From Massively.com, the Creative Director is starting rumors about getting rid of the game's subscription.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/10/the-secret-worlds-dev-video-blog-begins-end-of-days-chronicle/

That's probably what is means, except they started a little too early on the advertisements.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search