Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,833 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,580
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Funcom Quarter 3 2012 report

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
75 posts found
  zyklonian

Novice Member

11/24/12 6:09:10 PM#21
Originally posted by muffins89
Originally posted by zyklonian
Originally posted by strangiato2112
Originally posted by JKwervo
This is too funny. LOL. Failcom failing hard. Yes, I'm a hater especially when you have the audacity to have a sub AND cash shop. Not to mention the animations are piss poor still. Arrogance on their part bit them in the butt.

If you think the sub + shop was arrogance...well dont quit your day job, you arent very good at analysis.

They need revenue.  WoW double dips because it can.  Most other games double dip out of neccessity.

where does wow double dip?  the cell phone apps are free with sub now and theres not a ptw button on my UI

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5

i think double dipping is paying a sub and having a shiny in your face pay to win button on your UI not some store with a silly mount or  a pet.  they actually have tangible goods that you can order too.  i dont see any TSW beach towels and T-shirts......

User Deleted
11/24/12 6:12:01 PM#22
Originally posted by fenistil
Originally posted by Vhaln
Originally posted by Izork
Originally posted by Thillian

Yes the x-fire numbers activity gave me the same subscribtion number (estimated between 45 and 60k) subscribers. It is not surprising.

Which is unfortunate, Funcom is or was one of the last MMORPG developer that was not afraid to bring new ideas into the genre and experiment. Clearly the financial aspect was mismanaged, I hope they'll survive and stay in shape to bring more games in the future. 

Pretty sure 60k subscripers is enough to keep a game alive :)

Hell I'd be happy if there were 10k.

A few games have been shut down for dropping that low.  E&B, for one.  Really depends on their overhead, and who's in charge of shutting it down - how much they care about the game vs how much they only care about profits.  I'm guessing Funcom will keep it going as long as possible, as long as EA has no say in the matter.

The thing is, even if they're able to keep it going in the black, with minimal resources devoted to it, that's dangerously close to the point where they might be better off cutting their losses, to free up all those resources, to devote to future projects.  Anything that might stand a better chance of keeping the company afloat, overall.  If that's even an option for them at all, anymore.

Funcom propably cannot afford axing TSW.  Most of investment was alrady spent (main development, most of pre-releae and biggest post-release spending, server farm and other release expenses).   

If they still keep AO then they won't axe TSW.  Further cuts in TSW development team and other costs related to game might follow though.

AoC is also not closed even though game failed to take off long-term after freemium transition and is preety low populated with expception of maybe 2 servers.    For those that are not aware Funcom merged further four AoC servers on 7th august 2012.

Two in US:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=242064

Two in EU:

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=178296

==================================================

Besides TSW earned them 1,1 mln $ in October.  If we assume that previous two months of Q3 were similar, we have total of 3,3 mln$.  That's 1/3 of whole company earnings in Q3. They cannot shut it down, unless they plan on very heavy restructuring into much smaller company making low-cost f2p games.  (which they partially plan to).

Still since they:

"As part of the process of optimizing the revenue for the game[TSW], the Company is currently working on updating and
refining the business model."

They propably will transition to freemium model in next 6 months or which is less propable but also theoretically possible, they will start to milk existing fans more, by changing cash shop to similar what Cryptic did with STO when it flopped.   Which basically mean enlarging store alot, putting many convenience items and also some advantage items or / and game gold sales.   But it would make more sense from Funcom's perspective to enlarge cash shop alot AND transition to freemium would allow them to make big short term revenue boost like with AoC had in first quarter after transition.

===============

Also

"Project A
§ Funcom has signed a letter of intent with a major gaming company
for a license involving a strong brand, fitting very well with the
strategy for the Company going forward."

Further strenghtening ties with EA or maybe it is some kind of Asian company?

Future is looking grim for Funcom. 

+1 . quite good argument

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/24/12 6:41:24 PM#23
Double post
  DSWBeef

Apprentice Member

11/24/12 8:24:56 PM#24
I cannot agree with the 50k sub mark. It has to be atleast 200k.

Playing: TSW, War Thunder, World of Tanks, and FFXIV.
Waiting on: Archeage, Wild Star, Everquest Next and The Black Desert

Yamota

Hard Core Member

There's a beast within every man that stirs when you put a sword in his hand

11/24/12 8:48:44 PM#25
Originally posted by DSWBeef

Higly unlikely. Secret World sold 200-250k total so no way they would have close to 100% retention. 50k is about 20-25% retention which is far more likely.

gamesrfun

Advanced Member

OP  11/25/12 7:04:40 AM#26
Originally posted by DSWBeef

Trolling or serious?

If trolling, heh.

If serious, they released the revenue billing of their own volition.

So it is accurate.  I said 55k-70k:  the extra 15k was to account for lifetime subscriptions and a few other micro variables.

Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

11/25/12 7:21:26 AM#27

I think these two things need to happen:

1. Make all MMO's B2P like GW2.

2. Make MMO's cross platform to get bigger numbers. Do it like FFXI...not like DCUO where it seperates players.

The mmo industry is stagnant due to flooding the market with the same old games with different skins. I think companies like Funcom, Turbine, Aeria, PWI, and SOE shoot themselves in the foot because they make too many games to manage. Why not make one good game and pool your resources to make it awesome.

/2cents

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

11/25/12 7:23:57 AM#28

Originally posted by gamesrfun

Originally posted by DSWBeef I cannot agree with the 50k sub mark. It has to be atleast 200k.
Trolling or serious?

If trolling, heh.

If serious, they released the revenue billing of their own volition.

So it is accurate.  I said 55k-70k:  the extra 15k was to account for lifetime subscriptions and a few other micro variables.

Yeah, something like 50k is about right. Even if they have a really good retention rate they are looking at 100k players at most, and given their income this doesn't seem likely.

If they are bought by EA, the game will probably go F2P, but will have really poor choices made on the restrictions. Like SWToR, the game won't be impossible to play, but it will probably be frustrating and not worth the effort.

If they are bought by Activision...I have no idea what will happen. Maybe the crafting system in the game will become a primary focus and people will be able to sell stuff to each other through a RMAH and maybe the game will be Buy to Play.

Maybe someone will go with my favorite idea and sell personal servers, but I'd really doubt it.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

11/25/12 7:31:38 AM#29
I highly doubt Activision is even considering buying Funcom. Funcom publishes it's games using other houses. Unraveling those relationships would be very difficult. It would be absurd for Activision to take on that debt in this economy. It's EA or nothing and they're not too healthy either.

"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." ~Greys Law

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

11/25/12 9:31:58 AM#30
This is too funny. LOL. Failcom failing hard. Yes, I'm a hater especially when you have the audacity to have a sub AND cash shop. Not to mention the animations are piss poor still. Arrogance on their part bit them in the butt.

If you think the sub + shop was arrogance...well dont quit your day job, you arent very good at analysis.

They need revenue.  WoW double dips because it can.  Most other games double dip out of neccessity.

where does wow double dip?  the cell phone apps are free with sub now and theres not a ptw button on my UI

i think double dipping is paying a sub and having a shiny in your face pay to win button on your UI not some store with a silly mount or  a pet.  they actually have tangible goods that you can order too.  i dont see any TSW beach towels and T-shirts......

There's no pay to win in the TSW shop either.  All cosmetics and zero prompting to buy in-game.  I just love the double standard when it comes to WoW.

Rawiz

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:15:13 PM#31
Originally posted by Ortwig

There's no pay to win in the TSW shop either.  All cosmetics and zero prompting to buy in-game.  I just love the double standard when it comes to WoW.

So, when you buy something from TSW store, is it bound to your account, meaning every single char you use or ever create benefits from it? No? Also how many times has FC actually donated all their profits to an actual benefit (sales of an actual promoted item)? Such as Blizz benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims? Not even a single time.

Siug

Hard Core Member

11/25/12 3:24:24 PM#32
Originally posted by Rawiz

So, when you buy something from TSW store, is it bound to your account, meaning every single char you use or ever create benefits from it? No? Also how many times has FC actually donated all their profits to an actual benefit (sales of an actual promoted item)? Such as Blizz benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims? Not even a single time.

This is just FC bashing. We all know that their financial situation is far from good so maybe they just cannot afford donating. Also, I just expect to get a good service from them which they provide with actual GMs who are nice and helpful persons. Concerning CS I think it's absolutely optiona. One day I found 1200 points on my account as a bonus. Bought a dog, a title I have never used, a shirt maybe and some Chinese fireworks because I had some points left. In-game cloths are better imo and not a single feature is in CS.

Rawiz

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:31:58 PM#33
Originally posted by Piiritus

This is just FC bashing. We all know that their financial situation is far from good so maybe they just cannot afford donating. Also, I just expect to get a good service from them which they provide with actual GMs who are nice and helpful persons. Concerning CS I think it's absolutely optiona. One day I found 1200 points on my account as a bonus. Bought a dog, a title I have never used, a shirt maybe and some Chinese fireworks because I had some points left. In-game cloths are better imo and not a single feature is in CS.

Oh I see, it's just "FC bashing" when you actually make a point. Tell me, are the items you buy from their cash shop account or character bound? This is not bashing, this is an actual fact.

Now perhaps you see I was actually replying to a guy trying to compare WoW cash shop to TSW. WoW items are account bound, they also spend millions in different donation programs. Yet they're hated.

What do you think FC is when they sell SINGLE-CHARACTER items in their cash shop, do no charity, offer no donations and still expect highest sub of them all?

If Blizz sucks and has no spine, then I can't even describe what FC is.

tinywulf

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:35:19 PM#34

Oh I see, it's just "FC bashing" when you actually make a point. Tell me, are the items you buy from their cash shop account or character bound? This is not bashing, this is an actual fact.

Now perhaps you see I was actually replying to a guy trying to compare WoW cash shop to TSW. WoW items are account bound, they also spend millions in different donation programs. Yet they're hated.

What do you think FC is when they sell SINGLE-CHARACTER items in their cash shop, do no charity, offer no donations and still expect highest sub of them all?

Blizzard fan boy cyber bully.

Rawiz

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:37:16 PM#35
Originally posted by tinywulf

Rule 1. When no argument is to be made, try to divert conversation.

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:38:09 PM#36

That's all you got? Lol
  Thillian

Advanced Member

11/25/12 3:39:55 PM#37

Rule 1. When no argument is to be made, try to divert conversation.

Compared to WoW, in TSW, there is no reason to replay more characters or change servers. It's single server technology divided into several dimensions and your character can learn all skills, since there are no limitations or the amount of skills or experience you have. The skill-wheel allows you to change "roles" anytime you want.

REALITY CHECK

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:42:08 PM#38
Yet its barely surviving.....if that lol
  fenistil

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:42:14 PM#39

They are not saints also.  You realize that Blizzard take 50% cut of what you spend on donation items?   Considering volume of sale and mount creation cost production cost are close to zero, so blizzard is using charity pet as huge revenue source.  Branding pet / mount as charity will bring great sales of this paritcular item and thus increase their sale.   

You would imagine that they would donate 100% or at least something like 95% of item revenue right?

So if you want to help it is much better to just wire some money to fundations, churches or other help organizations or maybe an needing facitility near place where you live.  That way you know that all money minus administraitve cost are used for charity and not just 50% of proft blizzard make after administrative and distributive cost.

I am not defending Funcom, as I don't care and I don't play TSW or other FC games.  

Just want to make a point that Blizzard is earning money directly on your charity.  It is keeping 50% of your donation for their shareholders.

Rawiz

Novice Member

11/25/12 3:42:48 PM#40
Originally posted by Thillian
SNIP

Compared to WoW, in TSW, there is no reason to replay more characters or change servers. It's single server technology divided into several dimensions and your character can learn all skills, since there are no limitations or the amount of skills or experience you have. The skill-wheel allows you to change "roles" anytime you want.

Meaning, you have to buy that same item several times (not account locked item), if you actually use other characters/sides, than your main.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search