Trending Games | ArcheAge | Rift | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Firefall

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,257 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,189,992
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » The Secret World: New Updates coming! Reticle Combat and more!

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
117 posts found
  alakram

Advanced Member

10/11/12 4:00:09 AM#41
For me what the game needs is housing. A modern day mmo should have modern day housing and apartments.

-=AlaKraM=-
Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
My Lord of the Rings Gallery

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 4:09:17 AM#42
Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Ashar1972

Originally posted by Nitth  

- Revised Animations: "We know this was one of the major complaints both in the beta and after release, and we are looking at how we can make player animations feel more fluid and natural. This entails implementing an entirely new animation backend for the Dreamworld engine, which will allow us to make improvement in both ‘The Secret World’ and future Dreamworld projects."
  I don't believe this is every going to happen, they are to far in the red to invest more.
Actually after restructuring the game is now turning a profit. It is a common misconception in the gaming community of how corporate finances work. Development is the most costly part of a game's life-cycle, but with a more realistic recognition of subscriptions, there is no reason why this couldn't be costed into current and future budgets. They have already allocated the funds for this, so, in time, it will more likely than not happen. If that time-frame is within the tolerance of the gaming community is another entirely different conversation. As for subsrciptions, despite the "F2P is the only way!" bleeting around the internet at present, they are also apparently growing. A game such as TSW can survive quite easily with only a few hundred thousand subsrciptions. Purely spectutively, I can see TSW leveling out between 300k and 500k within five years, possibly two years if they are able to maintain the delivery they are currently enabling.

Still doesnt make sense to me, They sack % of their artists to they can stabilize their finances only to re-hire them possibly putting them back in the red?

Only exception would be to be making sizeable profit and have the development costs payed. (Do we know how far along they are with that?)

Dont get me wrong, im a lifer and would love to see new improvements, I'm just very sceptical at the moment.

The lay offs back in August was nothing but the standard reaction to the stock collapse. Nothing different than what other companies like SOE, EA, Activision, etc have done the past couple years.

Now the company's finances have stabilized and TSW in the black figures, they were able hire a few people back to strengthen the team.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Especially in large Telecom companies, who often just sack thousands of people, just to get the stock back up and then rehire all teh staff again afterwards. Often they also just do it to get rid of older more expensive staff, just to replace them later with younger cheaper personel. Just a sleezy quick cost reduction over the backs of loyal employees. /shrug

GhostGeisha

Advanced Member

10/11/12 4:12:02 AM#43
I don't play it but the changes seem great, funcom is working hard.
  fallenlords

Novice Member

10/11/12 4:39:28 AM#44
Originally posted by gwei1984
Originally posted by fallenlords
With Joel Bylos in charge you should look forward to a grind fest of future content.  He could teach Korean MMO developers a few things.

Could you shed some light on this statement, or is it just another one of those poor assumtions, you want us to sell as facts? Pathetic  trolling as usual?

Joel Bylos was responsible for the 'critically acclaimed' Rise of the Godslayer expansion for AOC.   While it had some good points like music/visuals. It was a major grind fest on gameplay especially with factions/tokens etc. Rewards were so slow to come by, you needed a real commitment to get anything.  It was dull basically.  Made a game like Aion seem positively quick moving in comparison.

Maelwydd

Elite Member

10/11/12 4:56:03 AM#45
Originally posted by gwei1984
With Joel Bylos in charge you should look forward to a grind fest of future content.  He could teach Korean MMO developers a few things.

Could you shed some light on this statement, or is it just another one of those poor assumtions, you want us to sell as facts? Pathetic  trolling as usual?

Joel Bylos was responsible for the 'critically acclaimed' Rise of the Godslayer expansion for AOC.   While it had some good points like music/visuals. It was a major grind fest on gameplay especially with factions/tokens etc. Rewards were so slow to come by, you needed a real commitment to get anything.  It was dull basically.  Made a game like Aion seem positively quick moving in comparison.

His investigation missions are far from grind focused. I think you are just being negative for the sake of it. Kind of a growing trend in online gaming recently sadly.

fallenlords

Novice Member

10/11/12 4:57:58 AM#46
Originally posted by JeroKane

The lay offs back in August was nothing but the standard reaction to the stock collapse. Nothing different than what other companies like SOE, EA, Activision, etc have done the past couple years.

Now the company's finances have stabilized and TSW in the black figures, they were able hire a few people back to strengthen the team.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Especially in large Telecom companies, who often just sack thousands of people, just to get the stock back up and then rehire all teh staff again afterwards. Often they also just do it to get rid of older more expensive staff, just to replace them later with younger cheaper personel. Just a sleezy quick cost reduction over the backs of loyal employees. /shrug

Funcom had to reduce costs because they were banking on TSW doing well, it bombed, they had to cut costs.  In no way was this normal or planned. It probably wouldn't of even had to happen if their ex CEO hadn't tried to dump his stock - basically devaluing the company overnight.   Unless you are an accountant for Funcom you don't know the finances have stabilized at all.   Nor is re-hiring 3 staff that meaningful with a company going through a transitional phase.

Johnie-Marz

Novice Member

10/11/12 5:04:35 AM#47

Funcom had to reduce costs because they were banking on TSW doing well, it bombed, they had to cut costs.  In no way was this normal or planned. It probably wouldn't of even had to happen if their ex CEO hadn't tried to dump his stock - basically devaluing the company overnight.   Unless you are an accountant for Funcom you don't know the finances have stabilized at all.   Nor is re-hiring 3 staff that meaningful with a company going through a transitional phase.

Agreed

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 5:07:48 AM#48

You are correct that the ex-CEO screwed over his own company and it's employees. That's why he has to show up in court now.

User Deleted
10/11/12 5:10:32 AM#49
Originally posted by Thenextbigthing
Originally posted by Mechanism
From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

Amen.  The reason why TSW Failed wasnt because of the combat it was because of the gear progression endgame made absolutely ZERO sense in a game that could of been so much more.

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 5:15:44 AM#50
Originally posted by Zylaxx
From a purely practical perspective why would someone want to use reticle combat and risk added inaccuracy when they've already got what amounts to an aimbot?

In fact why even bother with a reticle in an mmorpg? If I want reticle combat i'll go play an FPS. Personally I'd like to see less combat focus and more investigation focus.

Amen.  The reason why TSW Failed wasnt because of the combat it was because of the gear progression endgame made absolutely ZERO sense in a game that could of been so much more.

Amen what? They are constantly adding more and more non-combat features to the game.

A while ago the Tabula Rasa hotel in London and soon a Club (I think) with 1.4 for the Roleplay community.

They also keep adding new investigation missions with each patch, including the upcoming 1.4.

And gear progression is just part of the Endgame features people have come to expect in MMORPG's.

If they don't.... people will shit and crap over your game screaming doom and gloom.

And if you do..... people still shit and crap over your game screaming doom and gloom.

Seriously.... /facepalm

halflife25

Apprentice Member

10/11/12 5:17:21 AM#51

Well maybe for you it did. Is it me or people love calling every single MMO on these forums a failure?

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 5:43:36 AM#52
Originally posted by halflife25

Well maybe for you it did. Is it me or people love calling every single MMO on these forums a failure?

Nothing new on MMORPG.com

I got bored of GW2 after two weeks. But I am not gonna scream on the GW2 forums in every topic that GW2 failed and is gonna die. But somehow the GW2 white knights (read fanbois) are on a desperate crusade bashing every single other game out there.

Almost feels like Darkfall launch period all over again, when diehard Darkfall fans were crusading these forums. lol.

fallenlords

Novice Member

10/11/12 5:51:40 AM#53
Originally posted by Maelwydd

His investigation missions are far from grind focused. I think you are just being negative for the sake of it. Kind of a growing trend in online gaming recently sadly.

Considering he has just taken over as Game Director and only just published an open letter to the TSW community.  I think it's early days to call the direction he is going to take TSW overall. But he wants to make it more commercial, more commercial in what way?  To a Western audience or an Eastern audience.

Rise of the Godslayer was done with one thing in mind to give AOC an air of Eastern appeal.   They took two lines from a Robert E Howard story and built and entire expansion around it just to appeal to the Koreans and the Eastern market.  

This same man is now in charge of TSW.  So he is going to make TSW more commercial in what way? Hunch, turn it into a grind fest go free to play and launch it in Korea.  In other words follow the same trend as AOC.

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 6:01:10 AM#54

Considering he has just taken over as Game Director and only just published an open letter to the TSW community.  I think it's early days to call the direction he is going to take TSW overall. But he wants to make it more commercial, more commercial in what way?  To a Western audience or an Eastern audience.

Rise of the Godslayer was done with one thing in mind to give AOC an air of Eastern appeal.   They took two lines from a Robert E Howard story and built and entire expansion around it just to appeal to the Koreans and the Eastern market.  

This same man is now in charge of TSW.  So he is going to make TSW more commercial in what way? Hunch, turn it into a grind fest go free to play and launch it in Korea.  In other words follow the same trend as AOC.

Rise of the Godslayer was a great expansion. It had nothing to do with appealing to eastern audience. There were plenty of people here in the west who loved it!  You might not liked the expansion, but plenty of other people did.

I liked it, so do I actually like the new Pandaria zones. I am a western guy with no traces of Asian herritage in my blood nd yet I like the Ancient Asian culture settings, like the old Japanese samurai's, ancient chinese and korean cultures and architecture, etc.

It's very narrowminded of you to think like that. As for example, the Japanese people are obsessed with Western culture. Same with many Koreans. So go figure.

So grow up man! and stop being so narrowminded.

Maelwydd

Elite Member

10/11/12 6:11:35 AM#55

You are totally right, it is too early to state how things will play out.

Which just shows how completely biased you were in the post I commented on.

Just stop posting crap and go play the game you like or at least stop outright lying because of hurt feelings.

fallenlords

Novice Member

10/11/12 6:36:07 AM#56

Rise of the Godslayer was a great expansion. It had nothing to do with appealing to eastern audience. There were plenty of people here in the west who loved it!  You might not liked the expansion, but plenty of other people did.

I liked it, so do I actually like the new Pandaria zones. I am a western guy with no traces of Asian herritage in my blood nd yet I like the Ancient Asian culture settings, like the old Japanese samurai's, ancient chinese and korean cultures and architecture, etc.

It's very narrowminded of you to think like that. As for example, the Japanese people are obsessed with Western culture. Same with many Koreans. So go figure.

So grow up man! and stop being so narrowminded.

No it wasn't a great expansion at all, for a start it introduced a memory leak to the 32bit client.  Then on top of which it was a constant grind for faction/tokens etc.   Hardly any true Age of Conan fan wanted the expansion to be set in Khitai, they would have sooner had other areas  in Hyboria open up to them.  They accepted it because they had no choice and something was better than nothing.

The whole underlying tone of that expansion was to provide an Eastern flavor, introducing Eastern looking toons etc.   That actually didn't sit too well at all with any die hard Conan fan, riding tigers and wolves for gods sake totally.   A total Eastern feel to the whole thing ready for it to go to Korea free to play.  Screw the people that had being paying a sub for x number of years.   Don't consider them at all or what they want.  Which at the time a very long list ... everything from more inventory storage to player housing to more PVP etc etc. Then launch in Korea free to play while still charging your Western fans a sub, great.

That expansion was nothing more than a strategic marketing decision. It isn't about being narrow minded at all, if anything it about being cynical.   Looking for the underlying reasons why a company does something.  Like appoint Joel as Game Director of TSW.  You see nothing in that, I see a pattern.  Time will tell who is right or wrong.  But TSW hasn't launched in South Korea as far as I know, in fact I think it's being actively blocked.   Look who is here ... it's Joel ... probably means nothing at all.

apocoluster

Advanced Member

\m/,

10/11/12 6:48:41 AM#57
Originally posted by MindTrigger

I said it before several times,  ..and totally felt the need to say it again  lol    Thumbs up..update sound great

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

bcbully

Elite Member

10/11/12 6:55:05 AM#58

JeroKane

Elite Member

10/11/12 6:55:50 AM#59

Fallenlords you sound so butthurt about AOC it is no suprise you are unable to view TSW without any bias.

I suggest you stop posting, you are likely to give yourself a heart attack if you don't. Oh and you might stop making yourself sound like a prat.

Yes I am sorry, I shouldn't judge a company by past mistakes.   People and even companies can change, as has been proven by recent events at Funcom.  They have learned from past mistakes and don't appear to be repeating anything that has gone before.  Trond Aas certainly had faith in the amazing changes at Funcom.

Trond Aas is litterly an Aas lol. He just wanted a quick cashgrab exit to quickly fill up his bank account for personal gain. Not to mention he is just utterly stupid.

If he wasn't discovered and stopped he would have ruined the entire company overnight.

And for that he can now explain himself in court.

It's actually a good thing that he no longer CEO. Just like it was a good thing for Gaute G. to leave the company after AoC's launch.

Funcom needed new management badly.  Just like SOE really needs to get rid of John Smedly. Been saying that one for years.

Both Funcom and SOE have amazing talent inhouse, amazing people making amazing games. Both just suffer from bad management.

But at this moment the whole Game industry is just sick and suffers from Greedy capitalism, strangled by Stakeholders.

The Kickstarter project was born for this very reason. So developers can get away from stakeholders that have paralized the game industry.

shadow9d9

Advanced Member

10/11/12 8:17:49 AM#60
Doesn't fix the primary problem of the game.  The game was designed with a TINY amount of content that ends with a dungeon grind.  Now anytime they add content they have to add voice over, which is a huge waste of time and money, and they have not changed the dungeon grind.  No thanks.  Flawed concept.
6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search