Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,788,313 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,459
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Funcom is a joke. Never play this game.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
120 posts found
  IstrebiteI

Advanced Member

8/08/12 7:46:41 AM#61
Originally posted by BigRock411

Ive been bouncing around mmorpgs since 2001.  Never had a billing issue.  Ive never had an issue finding how to cancel an account either.

I guess my point is that some people really should stick to free games if managing a reoccuring payment plan is too much to deal with.

Its not rocket science but i do know there are LOTS of people who are unable to manage reoccuring payments of any type.

Good thing you posted your issue here rather than somewhere that could have resulted in the issue getting fixed though.

Actually he posted it right where it should have: in Funcom's wallet. Why should customers care about businesses, if businesses do not care about customers?

Time to vote with the vallet i say! They bill you without your consent? Their fault. They ban you for disputing it? Too bad, they lose three times more money they banned you for. That will teach them.

Then maybe businesses would actually care about their customers, offer valid live support, fast ticket resolve time, less automated responses, less "we cannot resolve issue X/Y/Z for you". You will no longer have to spend 10 times as much time if you want to only pay for one month of sub, not subscribe to a recurring subscription (in most games you CANNOT pay once, you HAVE to subscribe for recurring billing and then cancel the subscription, which you CANNOT do unil you pass a quiz of "why do you quit" etc)

Then maybe world is a better place for customers. Yay for that.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

8/08/12 7:46:47 AM#62
Originally posted by BigRock411

Ive been bouncing around mmorpgs since 2001.  Never had a billing issue.  Ive never had an issue finding how to cancel an account either.

I guess my point is that some people really should stick to free games if managing a reoccuring payment plan is too much to deal with.

Its not rocket science but i do know there are LOTS of people who are unable to manage reoccuring payments of any type.

Good thing you posted your issue here rather than somewhere that could have resulted in the issue getting fixed though.

In this case you are wrong, never had any problem, untill now.

Tough its quite easy to cancel the subscription, problem is i never authorised them to use my CC for the subscription, only authorised them for the game. Nevertheless they abuse it. Which is a criminal act under dutch law. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations)
Currently playing : The Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar

Gorilla

Old School

8/08/12 7:57:47 AM#63
Originally posted by 7star
Originally posted by Knuckledust

LFG is also based on your gear score, so fellow WoW players would feel like home.

I am concerned about this and it's not my gaming style. However, I'm enjoying the leveling and story so far. If I find the dungeon grind is no fun, I will quit as I have other options. I did notice this in general chat. It was just like WoW.

I'm glad you had a happy ending with your gf. :)

Or will you? 

IMPYRE

Elite Member

Yes, I have a question. When did you turn into a nutbar?

8/08/12 8:01:13 AM#64

I really can't take this thread sersiously.

How many times have we heard this same story from different companys as well.

Players waiting till the last minute to cancel in which you have 30 days to cancel, use your brain next time.

Vahid

Apprentice Member

8/08/12 8:04:43 AM#65

Deleted because it was way too late to post this.

Robinvi

Novice Member

8/08/12 8:05:10 AM#66

User error.

FunCom is just following their normal rules, like every other company. A chargeback on a transaction is always a ban. It's not slimy or cheap or a scam or anything like that. This is how it works, with pretty much any large company.

I forgot to cancel my AoC subscription once, and it ran for 6 months without me playing. I contacted support and got a refund for 5 of the 6 months, even though it was a user error. Sure I could have charged back and gotten perma banned aswell, but i chose to go to them instead, and they where very helpful.

Odinthedark1

Novice Member

"A fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others."

8/08/12 8:09:08 AM#67
Originally posted by Robinvi

User error.

FunCom is just following their normal rules, like every other company. A chargeback on a transaction is always a ban. It's not slimy or cheap or a scam or anything like that. This is how it works, with pretty much any large company.

I forgot to cancel my AoC subscription once, and it ran for 6 months without me playing. I contacted support and got a refund for 5 of the 6 months, even though it was a user error. Sure I could have charged back and gotten perma banned aswell, but i chose to go to them instead, and they where very helpful.

And most arent as fortunate, just because they help a few people here and there doesnt mean that its the same for everyone else. i asked them politely for a refund and they refused completely and for a stupid reason saying i had already logged in and they couldnt refund my sub. and in this thread alot of other people got screwed over too it seems...

elocke

Spotlight Poster

8/08/12 8:09:13 AM#68
I feel for you OP.  Before my month was over, the game just lost all hold on me and I stopped playing.  I almost wasn't going to check my account page because NO WHERE when I bought the game did it say it would apply that info to my monthly sub.  Usually MMOs have a whole separate page asking you if you want to use that payment type to pay for so many months etc. of sub fee.  Not this game.  Fortunately, I went to the account page and manually cancelled my sub which for some reason was on there as being continuous past the first free month.  I had never agreed to that.  So, yeah.  They are definitely responsible in this regard.  You may even have a nice legal issue there to dispute.  Good luck with getting it squared away, if you try.  Don't worry, GW2 is coming out in 2 weeks and that's a one time buy and a much better game.  

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

elocke

Spotlight Poster

8/08/12 8:11:48 AM#69
Originally posted by P4YB4CK

I really can't take this thread sersiously.

How many times have we heard this same story from different companys as well.

Players waiting till the last minute to cancel in which you have 30 days to cancel, use your brain next time.

Except that other games don't use your payment of the game box and that first free month as part of the contract for the monthly sub.  Or if they do, they tell you about in nice big bold letters and with a check box to agree to.  This one did not.  So get off your high horse.

GoldenArrow

Apprentice Member

8/08/12 8:12:28 AM#70

You actually did authorize the payment.

Every paypal purchase must be verified by the user with the user information (account/password) unless the purchase is authorized by "Accept further charges from the X company.."

For example spotify has an automatic monthly charge and you only accept it during the first purchase (thus accepting them to charge you further).

Taking money from idiots is how the world works.

You have no case sire, and btw TSW is a great game.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

8/08/12 8:13:39 AM#71
Originally posted by elocke
I feel for you OP.  Before my month was over, the game just lost all hold on me and I stopped playing.  I almost wasn't going to check my account page because NO WHERE when I bought the game did it say it would apply that info to my monthly sub.  Usually MMOs have a whole separate page asking you if you want to use that payment type to pay for so many months etc. of sub fee.  Not this game.  Fortunately, I went to the account page and manually cancelled my sub which for some reason was on there as being continuous past the first free month.  I had never agreed to that.  So, yeah.  They are definitely responsible in this regard.  You may even have a nice legal issue there to dispute.  Good luck with getting it squared away, if you try.  Don't worry, GW2 is coming out in 2 weeks and that's a one time buy and a much better game.  

As i said before, its a shame, trickery and they should be punnished for this, because as long as authorities dont act against things like this, Companies will keep and try abuse it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations)
Currently playing : The Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar

GoldenArrow

Apprentice Member

8/08/12 8:14:55 AM#72
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As i said before, its a shame, trickery and they should be punnished for this, because as long as authorities dont act against things like this, Companies will keep and try abuse it.

This is just a case of reading before clicking.

Same thing that's wrong with MMO communities nowdays.

vmoped

Apprentice Member

8/08/12 8:24:59 AM#73

I can understand your frustration OP, but I had no issue cancelling my account with any Funcom games including: Anarchy Online, AoC, nor TSW.  I have also had multiple good experiences with their customer service.  It seems as though there was some breakdown of communication between you and Funcom.  I do not believe that as a company Funcom is out to deceive or trick you out of your money.  I would have attempted to resolve this with Funcom prior to a chargeback (I believe you have 30 days to file a dispute).  When you do a chargeback, every mmo company bans you.  Some even ban your account if they give you a refund (NCsoft for example).  Lessons are: You shouldn't claim they cheated you when it appears you didn't try to resolve this with them very well.  Chargebacks tell companies that you refuse to resolve the issue with them. Anonymous posters on a forum on the internet will likely not have their claims believed by other posters.  Read what before you accept any agreement that involves you spending your money to be an informed consumer.

If you are truely upset, research your local internet commerce laws, but unfortunately you have given up any right to a grievance due to the chargeback you initiated.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

User Deleted
8/08/12 8:37:58 AM#74
yeah i mean it has been pretty standard practice since even before wow that when you sign up to play a mmo, that you have to enter your billing info an apply for a reacurring payment plan. As such you as the customer are responsible for insuring you havee the funds for the plan you are using,a nd for canceling that plan if you choose that the gamee is not worth paying a sub for. The only issue i saw was that it sounded like the payment for the sub came out of their account prematurely by afew days. To me sounds like someone that just does not like funcom looking for any reason to bash them, and found it proceeding to blow the issue that happened into a bigger issue then it really is.
  elocke

Spotlight Poster

8/08/12 8:39:52 AM#75
Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This is just a case of reading before clicking.

Same thing that's wrong with MMO communities nowdays.

I don't think so.  I didn't pay via Paypal, I don't trust it.  Are you just arguing here to make yourself look better?  It's not working, if so.  Calling people stupid doesn't make you look cool.

Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

8/08/12 8:46:41 AM#76
You are in a bad enough financial situation that 15 a month breaks you, then why did you immediately go out to eat for a "fine" dinner?
  Kaynos1972

Spotlight Poster

8/08/12 8:47:12 AM#77
You forgot to Cancel, it's not Funcom fault.  Pretty much every MMO's on the market use this method of billing.  Even in your free month you need to enter a payment method, you are automaticly set to auto-renew.   If you dont cancel you'll get billed.  Saying you could'Nt find the button to cancel is stupid.   I had no problems cancelling my account.   So you basicly got yourself banned for 15$ and lost a whole month of progress.  Congratulation.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

8/08/12 9:00:54 AM#78

My experience was different, but I bought a retail copy and activated once I loaded it from home.

I seem to recall quite clearly when I created my TSW login ID a warning that asked if I understood I was creating a reoccuring billing account and of course, they asked for my credit card info during sign up, there was no option not to.

Its possible they slipped that wording in during your purchase of the game as well but you didn't catch it.

Edit: Oh yes, found this here on EA's Origin site regarding purchase of TSW.

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER ACCESS AND LICENSE AGREEMENT, PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION, ACCOUNT REGISTRATION (13+ TO REGISTER), PAID SUBSCRIPTION AND VALID PAYMENT METHOD REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY.

The didn't really even imply that you got 30 days free first, they implied you had to sign up for a sub first before you could even play at all.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Orphes

Novice Member

You make, you buy, you die!

8/08/12 9:18:02 AM#79

Glad i am used to deal with Pirates and Criminals in my daily job, i just know how to handle this.   Funcom performed an Illegal action, using the credit card i used to buy the game, for the subscription.  Without asking me specifically if i would allow this.  this is a crimminal act overhere in Holland.

They asked for billing information when I bougth the game, what did you put there?

As far as I can remember you get a list of options to use for billing.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

SpottyGekko

Elite Member

8/08/12 9:44:08 AM#80

PayPal will never payout money to any third party unless you authorize it.

So the fact that PayPal DID payout to Funcom means that you had a recurring billing agreement active on your PayPal account. If that's not the case, you should sue PayPal. As long as that agreement is active, PayPal will pay out whatever the company bills them.

I use PayPal for game subs whenever I can, and I've never had a problem, because I manage my PayPal account properly. My PayPal account gives me complete control over any game sub, because once I cancel the recurring billing agreement in my PayPal account, the game company can try to bill as often as they wish, they won't get a penny.

The OP (and the others that have aired similar complaints in this thread) only have themselves to blame if they were using PayPal.

6 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search