Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,314 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,920
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Why did you quit this game?

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
182 posts found
  chaod1984

Novice Member

7/12/12 2:49:53 PM#21
Originally posted by Rohn
Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Sometimes a game just doesn't "click" with me, so I can understand the OP's issue.

SWTOR never drew me in, even though I played it for more than 2 months. I mostly was playing it to see what happened next, but never with any great enthusiasm. One day I stopped logging in and that was that. Never even reached level-cap.

My experience in TSW is completely different. I love the atmosphere and the game world. Sometimes I just sit in some busy spot and watch people going by. I'm totally immersed in the world.

I also find the world extremely immersive, and a lot of fun.

My experience is the opposite of the OP's.  The more I play, the more I learn about the game and character skills, the more I want to play, see more, and experiment with other builds.  The stories are the best on the market by far.

I also really like the combat.  The funny thing about it is that GW1 is almost universally loved for its combat, and TSW's combat is basically an evolution of GW1's combat.  The single player and group synergies are very compelling to me.

Not planning on quitting anytime soon.

Agreed! 

OP - WAR, RIFT even WoW and SWTOR were some of the worst at giving you variety in mobs....it's just the way it is....also it's easy to see that the story, lore, location and atmosphere kind dictate where the mobs are, which makes sense.  I saw alot of different types of mobs in Solomon Island and I look foward to seeing even more in Egypt.  

I seriously think some people just WANT to find something wrong with this game...it's almost a "how dare you try to defeat my pop culture MMO's with your not so pop culture game!"....it's kinda amusing.

Drakynn

Novice Member

7/12/12 2:55:30 PM#22
Originally posted by Skooma2

First, it is a false premise to assume that because you were not happy with the game that everyone else must feel  the same way.  Second, you only played two weeks which means you probably have not left Kingmouth yet.  Third, you paid $50 for a game, and quit after two weeks?  I don't understand why you wouldn't , at least, play out your 30 days to see if anything changes in the areas you are unhappy with.  So, stop kvetching (look it up) .

Actually it's your premise that is false.Your assumption is that he feels everyone musty feel like he does when in fact he is jsut seeking opinions from people who have quit the game like he has,this is nowhere near the same thing.

I personally liekd the game a lot in Closed Beta but not enough to overcoem my dislike of their business model since I beleive even buying the box(even with the itnwent of never using the CS) is sending a message to developers that this business model is acceptable.But that's my personal line int he sand .

The Combat in TSW is fine,standard but fine.The animations in said combat are stiff and awkaward(Though much improved in the end of beta) and have no wieght to them(you amy as well be swinging/shooting  at air the whole time). Since this is a visual medium it is a valid reason for folks not  to like the combat.I personally didn't find it game breaking though it did add to my reasons not to purchase at lauinch.

When the pirce of the box comes down enough and some of the minor things I disliekd are improved I'll probably revisit my decision.

laserit

Elite Member

Confusius say: Man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finger

7/12/12 2:57:15 PM#23

How many hours did you put into the game OP?

You may have burned yourself out. I know I can burn myself out on pretty much any game no matter how good (or bad) the game is. It seems the older I get the quicker I get burned out.

I personaly like only having 7 active ability's and find the strategy in building the different loadout's the most enjoyable part, I get bored with one, I just make another. I

I find myself playing TSW alot differently then I play other MMO's. My biggest enjoyment comes from learning new things and with TSW there is so much to learn that it's quite refreshing.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

AwDiddums

Advanced Member

7/12/12 2:58:38 PM#24

The games too damned engrossing to just up and quit after such a fantastically short time.

I've been playing since ER and I have still not left Kingsmouth, yes I'm a casual player hence why I'm still in the first area but I'm also very thorough, I'm squeezing every ounce of exploration/adventure/storytelling there is to offer before I feel comfortable about moving onto the next area.

As for the limited amount of skills available, well you have access to hundreds of different combo's, after each fight you have the choice to change to another build thus opening up different skill sets, you could literally have a new build for each pull you make and with access to over 500 abilities how is this not offering you a wider choice?

Even in the most complex of MMO's I have found myself using at that precise moment in time while I am focused on that 1 encounter a small handful of skills, probably about 4 in total, yet I have rarely come across an MMO that will allow me to then change my entire build at a whim on the next encounter and be offered a completely new and unique grp of skills to use.

You've obviously made your mind up, but your short changing yourself.

And don't kid yourself that GW2 will have totally unqiue creatures/fights in every area of the game.

DrWookie

Advanced Member

7/12/12 3:04:41 PM#25
Originally posted by Skooma2

First, it is a false premise to assume that because you were not happy with the game that everyone else must feel  the same way.  Second, you only played two weeks which means you probably have not left Kingmouth yet.  Third, you paid $50 for a game, and quit after two weeks?  I don't understand why you wouldn't , at least, play out your 30 days to see if anything changes in the areas you are unhappy with.  So, stop kvetching (look it up) .

It is a video game, played for entertianment. If a game isn't entertaining me I'm not just going to "keep playing" to see if it suddenly starts being more fun 2 weeks later. It has to hold me through the whole time. 

I didn't actually purchase the game, but mostly because I lasted about the same amount of time while playing in the closed beta. Yes I realize there may be more diversity later in in levels, but I honestly couldn't even finish Kingsmouth without getting really bored of fighting the same mobs over and over again. I need more variety. To each his own, I guess.

ECGangel

Apprentice Member

7/12/12 3:06:14 PM#26
Originally posted by lifeordinary
And if 7 skills bother you i wonder you will handle GW2 and it is limited skills? the skill set up is the main reason why i love TSW and why i pre ordered GW2.

But hey good luck, TSW wasn't for you for sure.

GW2 skills limited?  have you played an elementalist?  1 weapon, 4 attunements, 5 skills per attunements = 20 skills.  hit the  swap weapon hotkey and you got 20 more new skills to choose from.

anyways, i agree with the OP.  i got so bored after killing my 20th moth.

Gurpslord

Apprentice Member

You can't be a hero hiding underneath your bed.

7/12/12 3:07:46 PM#27

I never purchsed the game because I didn't enjoy myself in beta.  My reasons are the business model, the disconnected combat and the character creator were all garbage in my opinion.

That being said, most of my friends do play for the time being and altho one has stopped for many of the same reasons being listed in this post, the others seem to be enjoying it.  I did like the atmosphere and the environment and the thinking mans puzzles and quests, but oh well.  

UNH0LYEV1L

Apprentice Member

7/12/12 3:10:03 PM#28

I havent quit...I LOVE this game!

Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift

User Deleted
7/12/12 3:12:13 PM#29

I hate these threads. It's like the sole purpose is to help drive people away from the game. Soon the forum will be full of them and then "there can be no denying" that the game is dead and people should move on.

The OP may have his own reason to quit. Valid or invalid, it doesn't matter. My gripe is why create a thread about it? All it does is make the game seem less favorable than it may be.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

7/12/12 3:15:26 PM#30
Originally posted by ECGangel
Originally posted by lifeordinary
And if 7 skills bother you i wonder you will handle GW2 and it is limited skills? the skill set up is the main reason why i love TSW and why i pre ordered GW2.

But hey good luck, TSW wasn't for you for sure.

GW2 skills limited?  have you played an elementalist?  1 weapon, 4 attunements, 5 skills per attunements = 20 skills.  hit the  swap weapon hotkey and you got 20 more new skills to choose from.

anyways, i agree with the OP.  i got so bored after killing my 20th moth.

Its actially 25 since you cant swap with the Ele. But yes its still alot more.

Painlezz

Novice Member

7/12/12 3:17:26 PM#31

I quit because the game is full of bugs.  Game breaking bugs.

Chat is broken.  Almost daily I would lose the ability to chat with other players completely.  And often couldn't get it back.

Some quests are broken, this isn't a major issue but can be really annoying when they are multi-part quests where you spend a lot of time working on them only to get middle finger near end.

The skill system is only good for idiots IMO.  I'm sorry, but I've played around with it and it just isn't good.  Most skill combos don't work, there are and always will be a select few builds that are just better than everything else.  Any game that allows all players to be all classes within a single character is going to be fail.  The simple fact that you have to level up a character and you're limited to that class makes a big difference in games like wow.  Someone might level a Warlock for example, they might not be best dps in the game but they will continue to play it just because they invested all that time leveling.  In TSW, people will just respec to whatever the Flavor of the Month is over and over. 

Also, there is no reason to continue playing.  No end goal.  No progression to work towards.  Once you unlock a full set of skills both active and passive... The rest of the game is just unlocking other skills that may or may not be any good.  I remember filling up two trees and not using any of the skills availiable because they sucked compared to the standard nukes I got at lower levels.

Quests are all pretty standard kill X, loot X, click X.

Combat is pretty boring.  Nuke nuke nuke till stuff dies.  Very few things to react to.  I never find myself trying to interrupt skills or use buffs to avoid damage.  Just no real reason to.

Robsolf

Hard Core Member

Let go of my ears, I know what I'm doing!

7/12/12 3:26:23 PM#32
Originally posted by Psychow

I hate these threads. It's like the sole purpose is to help drive people away from the game. Soon the forum will be full of them and then "there can be no denying" that the game is dead and people should move on.

The OP may have his own reason to quit. Valid or invalid, it doesn't matter. My gripe is why create a thread about it? All it does is make the game seem less favorable than it may be.

It may not have the best thread title, so in that I agree with you.  But I think the body of the OP is fair.  It's not your run of the mill game bashing post; they have both good and bad things to say about it.

I feel as you do when you see the same handful of people start thread after thread of constant hate-hate-hate, with nothing constructive to say.  There is nothing a game developer can take from those kinds of posts that will make that player or others like them come/return to the game.

On the other hand, I think Funcom could take threads like this and maybe get something out of them.  Or not. 

User Deleted
7/12/12 3:30:58 PM#33

So this is another thread comlaing about combat again? I still don't get it. It find it way better than WOW-style combat. Ok, i get that it's not as well implemented as GW2's, and not action oriented liek TERA and others, specially the whole builder and finisher, but i find it superior.

Also, while i get that one can find TERA and GW2's better (no problem, i understand and i do myself), they're not even that great IMHO. It's almost like nobody ever played and FPS or an action or a fighting game before. Ok, they're better for current mmorpgs, but they don't make me go "WOW amazing" like single players do. Which is why i go into mmos expecting inferior combat systems.

If you want the best combat, play Dragon's Dogma and or SPRPGs. Or, do like me, and play PS2. (Yeah, yeah)

Gargola

Novice Member

7/12/12 3:34:08 PM#34

All developers should take a look of threads like this.  However, with a title like that it's very likely they won't, specially in this place, due to the troll and bash prone (for the sake of it) this forums tend to be.

If i didn't have some extra minutes to burn i wouldn't have read it, due to the title.

If it was "why i quit..." making it a personal statemtn and opinion, from the get go, it would have been somewhat different.

In any case... I haven't, and after finishing the first story arc (the Solomon Island part) i probably won't anytime soon.

Combat is better than most MMOs, and it's final standing compared to other particular games it's a matter of preference.  However... there really isn't anything subpar with it.  The synergies work very well, but it's not something incredibly innovative, either.

fenistil

Novice Member

7/12/12 3:42:02 PM#35

Told ya that traditional mmorpg combat coupled with limit to 7 active skills will bite them in the ass.

Either traditional with more skills or actiony with less. 

Tradional with small number of skills

or action with high number of skills won't work.

Absolute hordes of mobs are bane of mmorpg's and that's biting them in the ass as well.

Where are those forests, mountains and plains where you don't trip over a mob every 2 meters :|

Gargola

Novice Member

7/12/12 3:44:12 PM#36

"Bane" is more than premature... specially when player reviews keep being quite possitive.

SpottyGekko

Elite Member

7/12/12 3:50:23 PM#37
Originally posted by fenistil

<snip>

Where are those forests, mountains and plains where you don't trip over a mob every 2 meters :|

They are in Mortal Online and Xsyon...

And people constantly complain because the world is "empty" 

DJJazzy

Novice Member

7/12/12 4:10:59 PM#38

Quit already?

I just started Transylvania, it'll be a few more weeks before I even think about quiting.

heartless

Novice Member

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -Carl Sagan

7/12/12 4:17:47 PM#39

I got bored of it. Solomon Island was great, zone and story wise. Everything else failed to grab me. It just felt bland and uninspired. Most of the stories kind of end with a cliffhanger, so there isn't really a sense of accomplishment either. The much advertised investigation quests weren't enough. There's simply too little of them. I also have to question the decision of having quests that are clearly not geared towards the general public. I mean, how many MMO players can look at this and know where to even begin deciphering it?

The combat is ok, especially once you figure out a decent build but there's so much fighting, especially in Egypt and Transilvania that it gets annoying. The game would have been better with a much larger focus on puzzle solving rather than combat.

The game is simply not finished. Chat breaks, quests break, skills break. Poor performance issues. I have to restart the client at least 2 times, otherwise it will stall at a loading screen. Even then, after about an hour, maybe 2, of playing the game begins to stutter and I experience a severe FPS drop. Certain things were simply not thought out for use in MMOs. Prime example are puzzle quests that require interacting with objects in the world. Other people can interact with those same objects, making you fail the sequence.

I think that I'm going to give this game at least 6 months in order for more stories to be added and stuff to get fixed before I take a look at it again. If you're enjoying it, I hope that you have fun. =)

Elijarh

Novice Member

7/12/12 4:24:02 PM#40

Im Exactly the same.. I was crazy excited at launch and play 1st 4 days non-stop. Roled 3 Toons... Now I dip in and out and get bored in about 20min or so.. Think I miss the open world adventure of games past..

Eli

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search