Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,784,730 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,192,578
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search
189 posts found
  Xanderxavier

Advanced Member

7/10/12 8:35:09 AM#121

Depends entirely on your point of view, but if you like using your brain and thinking about things then quite possibly yes, thusfar it is indeed, saying its the best ever made is the stretch but frankly saying any of the best mmo's are actually the best is a stretch, as all mmo's have problem's tsw is certainly a unique mmo that provides an as of yet unbridled experience its graphics are superior to every mmo with the sole exception of Entropia Universe atm as funcom's engine(first seen in age of conan) is quite nice and has reached a nice mature level where it looks pretty good but is no longer only capable of running on high end machines as it was with conan.

It has good pvp thusfar but it certainly could use more, though the stories and investigations do mean for those who love puzzles and using their brain tsw is currently the best game out thusfar, but it remains to be seen as players carefully make their way through 5 years worth of carefully crafted content when the average player does actually hit end-game if funcom can supply enough fresh content to keep the game fresh, raid's are fun pvp is fun, but tsw will not do to well long-term if all it can offer is traditional raid/pvp battleground end-game, it will need to be supplied with regular fresh content, its very high quality gameplay experience as you make the way through the game must not cease when you make your way through it else it may suffer the same fate as SWTOR, everyone cleaned through the content in record time because it was great, then the end-game of repetitive pvp and one lousy planet that you needed to do lots of reptitive pvp to have gear suitable for to also repetitively play seamed all the more pathetic after the great levelling up experience.

I just hope funcom have learned from their earlier games and have a long-term regular content pipeline in the works, taking a leaf from Star trek online's episodes book would be best for them, weekly fresh content in addition to raid locations, occasionally playfield additions and pvp improvements may offer an end-game capable of retaining many where without the content it may be a different story

Garvon3

Novice Member

7/10/12 9:06:36 AM#122

No, because by the very nature of how instanced it is, it fails entirely at being an MMO.

Maybe a decent game if they called it something else and didn't charge a monthly fee.

User Deleted
7/10/12 9:29:53 AM#123

Ask the question in 8-10 years time. If plenty of people are still playing it and going back to it after finding the newer games duff, then it might stand up there or there abouts, perhaps.

Personally for me though, nope, it is a slick game but that's about it, it doesn't feel to me much like a world at all.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 9:52:09 AM#124
Pve wise its the best mmo I've played, because its varied and hard and doesn't feel grindy with a progression system more like a sandbox game.

But....

It's still behind daoc, eve and planetside for me as I prefer pvp "endgame". I'm really enjoying it while "leveling" but I can't see myself playing it for 4 years like I did daoc because a) its attracted the elitist pve crowd so no doubt fu con will concentrate "endgame" on dungeon grinding which frankly bores me silly and b) the community isn't as good, though I doubt we will ever see a mmo again with as great a community as daoc, coh probably being the last one.
  Garvon3

Novice Member

7/10/12 9:56:35 AM#125
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Pve wise its the best mmo I've played, because its varied and hard and doesn't feel grindy with a progression system more like a sandbox game.

Seriously? Is that because it pretends to be a singleplayer game? I wouldn't call PvE good if it takes place in an instance. Not in an MMO. If this was just a regular game, then sure. But when I see something called an MMO, with a monthly fee, I expect there to be good multiplayer, and that does not exist here.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 9:57:02 AM#126
I hope funcom have some nuts, take on the feedback from oldschool pvpers on fusang, rework it to be more about holding facilities and introduce a couple more warzones, link them to the world via agartha rather than a jump to pvp interface so they feel more integrated and make them endgame alternative for those of us that gate endgame pve and all the drama and politics that goes with it. Take on gw2 in other words (with the bonus if having rivalry). Then I could see myself playing for longer.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 9:59:45 AM#127
Garvon, sounds like you haven't played and are assuming its a corridors and cutscenes game like swtor.

Sure there are solo instances, but it ain't no swtor. The game encourages grouping with higher loot drops, rock hard quests, state system synergy and well the way you actually regularly bump into other players compared to swtor.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 10:04:04 AM#128
Also the dungeons are the best I've seen, but that's not such a suprise, Aoc did good dungeon also.

Not that dungeons ate that big a thing for me.

Anyone's completed the first two dungeons, will tell you likes of wow or rift or whatever newb level dungeons are easy mode in comparison. I mean fight some pirate dude or fight cthulhu.
  Garvon3

Novice Member

7/10/12 10:04:06 AM#129
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Garvon, sounds like you haven't played and are assuming its a corridors and cutscenes game like swtor.

Sure there are solo instances, but it ain't no swtor. The game encourages grouping with higher loot drops, rock hard quests, state system synergy and well the way you actually regularly bump into other players compared to swtor.

It encourages pre made parties of small groups of people NOW AND THEN.

But since almost all the gameplay is in an instance, there is no general socializing.

Loke666

Elite Member

7/10/12 10:05:47 AM#130

"Best" is relatively to who you ask.

I however think Meridian 59 is the best MMO ever made.. Why? Because all mechanics it invented are still around in most MMOs 16 years after it´s release. It invented the trinity and so much more almost every MMO have.

Of course it would be nice with something even better but I don´t think TSW really measures up to it. GW2 might but I am not so sure there either, we will have to wait and see what game that will influence the market most in the future.

The biggest expectations I have is however not GW2 or WoDO but "Class 4". That game have the potential to be a gamebreaker as big as M59 and might change the genre forever.

You might think that how much a game have influenced others isn't the perfect way to measure how good it is and that is true, but it is at least something you can measure and it seems fairer than sub numbers or money earned.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 10:10:56 AM#131
It's not "almost all the game play is in an instance"

Again if you were talking swtor, that might be true, it sure felt like I spent 75% of my time in that on my own in an instance.

Tsw its maybe like 1 in 10 quests that put you in a solo instance, and even then its something like 1 or 2 stages out of a chain of 6.

Tsw is not "mostly in instances"

It's no more or less instanced than gw2.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 10:12:25 AM#132
1 in 10 main quests. Counting the side quests / item quests, probably more like 1 in 20
  MindTrigger

Advanced Member

7/10/12 10:20:06 AM#133

I'm just going to go out there and say that this is the most fun I have *ever* had in a *themepark* MMO.  As you can see from my past posts (and my sig below), I prefer sandbox or hybrids, but I'm really loving TSW.  I'm taking my time, exploring all the areas that are so beautifully put together, and I'm doing all the quests.  I have a ton of content ahead of me, and I can't wait to see what's coming next out of Ragnar's team.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Pudsy

Novice Member

7/10/12 10:22:47 AM#134

first of all the "Best MMO" ever made, does not go to a F2P model within 6 six months... which is more than likey what will happen with the secret world, as it is more of a single player(solo story) based game, and does not need the monthly subscription fee..

2ndly..

"Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard."

... FUNCOM WAS PUBLISHED BY EA... EA..

Skeeter50

Apprentice Member

7/10/12 10:28:21 AM#135

HI, my second post here at the MMORPG and glad to be here.

It is nice to see such a good discussion in this thread considering the title. This alone leads me to think that maybe TSW has reached even some of the haters that have been "failcoming" many discussion in the past.

Have a great day, and don't be Grim Bra.

Mouth

Novice Member

OP  7/11/12 6:36:08 PM#136

Pudsy: Fucom was not published by EA, EA Partners is a co-publisher of the game, is all. Funcom is 100% the developer and EA helps with box sales. EA has no ownership in Funcom.

User Deleted
7/11/12 9:08:11 PM#137
Originally posted by Mouth

Pudsy: Fucom was not published by EA, EA Partners is a co-publisher of the game, is all. Funcom is 100% the developer and EA helps with box sales. EA has no ownership in Funcom.

People refuse to understand this.

EA = Ships boxes and gives people the option to buy on orgin or whatever their online distrabution is.

I chose buying from funcom, got a worse deco pet (yeah those buffs only last a limited amount of XP gained) and mabey payed a dollar or two extra, but i cut EA out of the equation.

Really not sure why they even let them put the logo on the box and in game...unless they got paid for allowing.

EA has no say on anything related to content design or direction of the game, which is probably why were going to see free content added before the first free month is up.

Rylah

Elite Member

7/12/12 6:51:14 AM#138

I'm not sure if it is the best MMORPG ever made, but it is definitely one of the best games I personally ever played (and that were a lot).

Faynth

Advanced Member

7/13/12 2:37:05 AM#139

Hard to say whats the best... I could say Rift does sooo many things right it copied all mechanics that work and evolved into doing pretty much everything right. Do i play it? no. I see that its all great and all but i dont feel the need to play it.

TSW invites to do something interesting once in a while and has great immersion. Lore and all that . i like reading up on stuff but does that make it the best? by what standarts?

TSW is a good game. So is Rift. and all my MY standarts.

Cantorage

Apprentice Member

7/15/12 6:00:02 AM#140
Originally posted by Pudsy
2ndly..

"Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard."

... FUNCOM WAS PUBLISHED BY EA... EA..

Sick of hearing this ignorant misinformation being spread around. EA is the distributor of physical copies of the game, and in North America only.

Funcom is the SOLE PUBLISHER AND DEVELOPER OF THE SECRET WORLD!

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search