Trending Games | ArcheAge | Rift | World of Warcraft | Destiny

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,997 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,189,552
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

11 posts found
  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3731

 
OP  6/25/12 11:39:52 AM#1

And that's a avery good thing.

 

I have to say I was very impressed by the "polish" I saw this past beta weekend. This game is definitely ready for prime time. It plays and feels like a robust MMO 6 months after lauch.

 

Having gone through the release of both previous Funcom biggies, AO and AOC, I was expecting to see glitches galore. The opposite was true. I guess old dogs do learn new tricks. The attention to detail and tightneess of code is readily apparent: no glitched quests, no crashes, no disconnects... nothing negative at all.

 

And on top of that it's interesting and immersive and has enough "newness" and different ways of doing things to keep me engaged for quite a while.

 

Fun game. A definite upper echelon MMO. I'm subbing. 

  rpgalon

Novice Member

Joined: 3/04/11
Posts: 432

6/25/12 12:31:24 PM#2
Originally posted by Iselin

And that's a avery good thing.

 

I have to say I was very impressed by the "polish" I saw this past beta weekend. This game is definitely ready for prime time. It plays and feels like a robust MMO 6 months after lauch.

 

Having gone through the release of both previous Funcom biggies, AO and AOC, I was expecting to see glitches galore. The opposite was true. I guess old dogs do learn new tricks. The attention to detail and tightneess of code is readily apparent: no glitched quests, no crashes, no disconnects... nothing negative at all.

 

And on top of that it's interesting and immersive and has enough "newness" and different ways of doing things to keep me engaged for quite a while.

 

Fun game. A definite upper echelon MMO. I'm subbing. 

the CB was even more polished.

  DJJazzy

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/18/11
Posts: 2074

6/25/12 12:35:17 PM#3

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

  Maitrader

Novice Member

Joined: 7/29/08
Posts: 431

6/25/12 12:38:18 PM#4
Originally posted by DJJazzy

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

its a possibility. This game is totally different compared to AoC. AoC catered to WoW population in aims of taking subs from WoW. This game doesn't really care about trying to mimic other MMO's in order to steal player base... this game is completely independent is a great show of how unique Funcom TRULY is.

 

  DJJazzy

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/18/11
Posts: 2074

6/25/12 12:41:16 PM#5
Originally posted by Maitrader
Originally posted by DJJazzy

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

its a possibility. This game is totally different compared to AoC. AoC catered to WoW population in aims of taking subs from WoW. This game doesn't really care about trying to mimic other MMO's in order to steal player base... this game is completely independent is a great show of how unique Funcom TRULY is.

 

Heh, well I was being a bit facetious. I've played TSW in 3 of the beta weekends. I generally like it, and I did like AoC as well. I do find it strange that the one of the strong points of AoC, the combat and animations, is a bit of a weak point for TSW.

  freston

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/20/07
Posts: 527

6/25/12 12:42:58 PM#6

I enjoyed the game but i think the last beta weekend was far from polished. Lots of broken quests and some pretty annoying bugs too (in particular the gear manager one). 

  Blackbrrd

Novice Member

Joined: 2/24/09
Posts: 812

6/25/12 1:14:41 PM#7
Originally posted by freston

I enjoyed the game but i think the last beta weekend was far from polished. Lots of broken quests and some pretty annoying bugs too (in particular the gear manager one). 

"Lots" is a bit of an overstatement, but there were some broken quests, technical difficulties and so on. Funcom changed from 0.9 to 1.0 between the two last beta weekends, so they sacrificed some polish in the beta to make the launch smoother.

  Iselin

The Listener

Joined: 3/04/08
Posts: 3731

 
OP  6/25/12 1:18:10 PM#8
Originally posted by DJJazzy

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

Heh. I'm talking about release. AOC concentrated on creating a fun experience in the noob area but once you got out of there it was a disaster.

 

I understand they eventually improved the rest of the game considerably but I've never gone back. They lost subs galore and many people felt decieved once they made out of Tortage.

 

TSW isn't like that from what I saw.

  Blackbrrd

Novice Member

Joined: 2/24/09
Posts: 812

6/25/12 1:26:14 PM#9
Originally posted by Iselin
Originally posted by DJJazzy

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

Heh. I'm talking about release. AOC concentrated on creating a fun experience in the noob area but once you got out of there it was a disaster.

 

I understand they eventually improved the rest of the game considerably but I've never gone back. They lost subs galore and many people felt decieved once they made out of Tortage.

 

TSW isn't like that from what I saw.

I have played the closed beta and TSW isn't like that. I also played AoC and have two level 80 characters, one with some T2/T3 raid gear. In my eyes, they did everything better in TSW. I even like the combat better. No more keyboard mashing with 20 hotkeys and comboes. Looking at the dungeons they have captured all the fun of raiding and removed all the boring parts. PvP is less of a CC-fest. Melee can catch up to ranged and the game is balanced around that they can.

  DJJazzy

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/18/11
Posts: 2074

6/25/12 1:38:31 PM#10
Originally posted by Iselin
Originally posted by DJJazzy

Hmm, I like AoC. So does that mean I won't like TSW?

Heh. I'm talking about release. AOC concentrated on creating a fun experience in the noob area but once you got out of there it was a disaster.

 

I understand they eventually improved the rest of the game considerably but I've never gone back. They lost subs galore and many people felt decieved once they made out of Tortage.

 

TSW isn't like that from what I saw.

Which is a very important lesson learned by Funcom I think. First impressions are everything now.

  Acidon

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/09/05
Posts: 680

Permafried

6/25/12 1:41:51 PM#11

Positive thread.  Nice.  Have to enjoy them as they come.

Playing: The Crew, Defiance, RiFT
Mourning: World of Darkness


Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com