Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,129 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,765
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » Could Have Been a Great Game...

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
22 posts found
  Krytycal

Novice Member

OP  6/24/12 2:24:06 PM#1

...But it's unfortunately too late to make it work. The IP was perfect. It's the first major modern/horror MMO, and there is no shortage of fantasy burnouts presently. They got the setting just right too. I had a lot of fun exploring and completing investigation quests the first few hours of playing this game. The change of scenery was truly shocking (in a positive way) and the story had me hooked until the game mechanics started rearing it's ugly head. 

I can tell you that combat was not Funcom's priority until recently when people started complaining. If you think the comat is stale now, imagine what it was like a couple of months ago. I can tell you it wasn't pretty and it should have been re-done from the ground up, but instead it got a bandaid fix. Combat and game mechanics are the kind of things that need to be nailed during the early stages of development, that monstrosity should not have made it past alpha testing, let alone closed beta. This is gameplay we're talking about here, if you need to get something right in an MMO, this is it. Unfortunately it feels like they copied and pasted 80% of the abilities across all weapons, and don't even get me started on the animations. Heck, themeparks on rails like SWTOR felt more unique ability/animation wise.

The ability wheel could have been great, finally a way to breakout from preconceived builds and come up with truly unique stuff. Well, Funcom wasn't gonna have that so they went ahead and slapped a 7/7 limitation to the abilities and passives, effectively turning the game into cookie-cutter central with very little room for diversity due to the severe limitations. Now I understand they needed some kind of cap on the number of abilities and passives for balance's sake, but limiting them to 7 just feels lazy. 

What's the focus of this game anyway? Your guess is as good as mine. At first I thought it was PvE, but once I got to Transylvania I realized the PvE content wasn't all that much, and the end-game consists fo re-doing the same dungeons you did leveling up on a different difficulty. Sound familiar?

Ok, so maybe it is a PvP game? Nope. Eldorado and Stonehenge are your standard dollar menu battlegrounds. Fusang, the so-called persistant PvP zone, just feels like a bigger battleground. At least AoC had open world PvP. Not everything is bad though, on the brightside the game is playable with 50 people on your screen, which should make for a more pleasant zerging experience.

tl;dr: Yet another game full of potential but plagued by poor decisions. 

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

6/24/12 2:27:21 PM#2

Well, after all it is a theme park game, just with some extra story tacked on, (and a twist on the skill based progression) so I suppose it's working as designed.

"The discrepancy between what we know is possible and what we currently have to choose from is beyond disappointing" - GeezerGamer
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DaezAster

Novice Member

6/24/12 2:31:29 PM#3

Have to agree, great game but bad gameplay. I think the beta will make it harder to enjoy in this regard as I would not like to tread back through all of kingsmouth for a second time due to the clunky combat and missions that arent going to be as interesting the second time. It's a great game for a once through and would be worth the box price and free month for the story but dont see the staying power of this one.

arrgy

Apprentice Member

6/24/12 2:34:10 PM#4

I agree as well. Had an assault rifile and blood magic. Spammed 3 keys for about 8 hours in PvE, took down every mob didn't come close to dying. Boring....

User Deleted
6/24/12 2:40:39 PM#5
Originally posted by DaezAster

Have to agree, great game but bad gameplay. I think the beta will make it harder to enjoy in this regard as I would not like to tread back through all of kingsmouth for a second time due to the clunky combat and missions that arent going to be as interesting the second time. It's a great game for a once through and would be worth the box price and free month for the story but dont see the staying power of this one.

Just don't get why people think games with limited amount of content will keep them happy longer than this unless updates are super fast.

To the OP, you have the right to your opinion of course. To me, the game's weakest points are combat (still much better than wow clone combat), animations, character models and Fusang (i think it could have been better)

However, i don't get the complain about BG's and PVE. The BGs are just that. Don't see why you complain about them being just like other mmos. Also, you say the game's not about pve IYO, but you just complain about running out of content, just like every single themepark ever. But that's to ve expected. But you still don't touch on quests, crafting,story, nothing.

Tamanous

Elite Member

6/24/12 2:44:06 PM#6

Personally I think this just proves that the players have no clue what they want in a game. Everyone seems to want a game custom tailored to their needs. This however will never happen. If a game has everything you want it will only increase the chance it has everything other players don't want.

TSW does many things very well. It offers more different mmo elements than nearly any mmo that has come out in years. Players unfortunately are jaded. They only see mechanics in mmo's. The reason someone has such fond memories of their first mmo is due to the mystique of the game remaining alive. Once you focus on the mechanics and start wondering what a game is "trying to do" you forever lose the ability to become truly part of it's world. Mark Twain commented exactly this about the beauty and majesty of the rivers he grew up near but then forever lost this view point once becoming a river boat pilot. After that he could only see the mechanics needed to traverse the hazards of the river. The magic was forever lost.

Players have to understand this. TSW has improved greatly in it's weakest areas for the little while I have played it. It may not be enough for some but if you lost the ability to see it's strengths then it will never be enough. You may want to ask yourself if this is exactly the same argument you bring to every mmo forum. I certainly see it everywhere. No game today seems to captivate it's playerbase for more than a few months.

What I have found with TSW animations is that if you stand still it suddenly feels pretty much like every other game. It's the being able to move around that throws everyone off. This is exactly the same argument I have seen on the GW2 boards. TSW however even tries to be more more different than GW2 (and I certainly know many will scream this isn't true). Genre is the largest difference as fantasy is fantasy is fantasy and many are bored to hell with it but if someone can't see the game for what it is and can only see it's collection of separate mechanics then the fault may lay with the player and not it's makers.

You stay sassy!

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

6/24/12 2:45:21 PM#7

Originally posted by arrgy
I agree as well. Had an assault rifile and blood magic. Spammed 3 keys for about 8 hours in PvE, took down every mob didn't come close to dying. Boring....

Come to egypt and get stomped with me then...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

arrgy

Apprentice Member

6/24/12 2:47:55 PM#8
Originally posted by Tamanous

Personally I think this just proves that the players have no clue what they want in a game. Everyone seems to want a game custom tailored to their needs. This however will never happen. If a game has everything you want it will only increase the chance it has everything other players don't want.

TSW does many things very well. It offers more different mmo elements than nearly any mmo that has come out in years. Players unfortunately are jaded. They only see mechanics in mmo's. The reason someone has such fond memories of their first mmo is due to the mystique of the game remaining alive. Once you focus on the mechanics and start wondering what a game is "trying to do" you forever lose the ability to become truly part of it's world. Mark Twain commented exactly this about the beauty and majesty of the rivers he grew up near but then forever lost this view point once becoming a river boat pilot. After that he could only see the mechanics needed to traverse the hazards of the river. The magic was forever lost.

Players have to understand this. TSW has improved greatly in it's weakest areas for the little while I have played it. It may not be enough for some but if you lost the ability to see it's strengths then it will never be enough. You may want to ask yourself if this is exactly the same argument you bring to every mmo forum. I certainly see it everywhere. No game today seems to captivate it's playerbase for more than a few months.

What I have found with TSW animations is that if you stand still it suddenly feels pretty much like every other game. It's the being able to move around that throws everyone off. This is exactly the same argument I have seen on the GW2 boards. TSW however even tries to be more more different than GW2 (and I certainly know many will scream this isn't true). Genre is the largest difference as fantasy is fantasy is fantasy and many are bored to hell with it but if someone can't see the game for what it is and can only see it's collection of separate mechanics then the fault may lay with the player and not it's makers.

I just wanted my character to look like a human being. Is that too much to ask?

Krytycal

Novice Member

OP  6/24/12 2:49:29 PM#9
Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Just don't get why people think games with limited amount of content will keep them happy longer than this unless updates are super fast.

To the OP, you have the right to your opinion of course. To me, the game's weakest points are combat (still much better than wow clone combat), animations, character models and Fusang (i think it could have been better)

However, i don't get the complain about BG's and PVE. The BGs are just that. Don't see why you complain about them being just like other mmos. Also, you say the game's not about pve IYO, but you just complain about running out of content, just like every single themepark ever. But that's to ve expected. But you still don't touch on quests, crafting,story, nothing.

I did mention the story (which includes quest) and said it was very well done. That was the opening of the OP.

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

6/24/12 2:54:44 PM#10

Im under no delusions, i understand and accept the scope of the product,But It may not be my dream mmorpg.

Tsw is the first mmorpg in a long time that i can really make a character of my own design and feel connected to it. and because of that i dont care if combat looks like a fps because i understand its just a tool to help immerse me in the game.

Did doom feel immersive when it came out? it did for me. Sometimes you gota let yourself wind out and have fun like a child again.

imo its because of the merging of the genes. Like a recent thread. people don't want mmorpgs these days.

If you like the product, buy it. If you dont, Wait for something else.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

User Deleted
6/24/12 2:57:55 PM#11
Originally posted by Krytycal

I did mention the story (which includes quest) and said it was very well done. That was the opening of the OP.

Fair enough. I'm sorry about that. However, you still have to keep in mind that, just like i said, pve in themeparks is finite and limited and will run out sooner or later. This isn't TSW or FC's flaws. It's just the way it is.

As i said before, i'm sorry you didn't like the game. To me, TSW is the most unique themepark for now, and while i don't expect it to hold me for more than a few months like all of them, it might if FC keeps pushing out content at fast speed. Anyway, thanks for your review OP. BTW, i've been trying to find info on this, but, did you ever encounter that zombie t.-rex in Egypt?

DaezAster

Novice Member

6/24/12 3:00:25 PM#12

Im big on streetfighter a game that takes about 20-30 minutes to beat and after years of that game it is still fun.

Krytycal

Novice Member

OP  6/24/12 3:00:40 PM#13

How long have you been playing TSW? I've been in CB for a little over two months and I can tell you aside from some hit animations and balancing passes the combat feels identical to when I first got invited. I'd hardly called it "greatly improved". I want to love TSW, I really do, but I can't get past the boring combat. Everything feels like it's been copied and pasted. The animations are bland and repetitive, and to make it even worse so they went ahead and capped your abilities at 7 to make sure you spam the same 3-4 keys ad nauseum. To those of you who played SWTOR, lets just say every combination I tried in TSW felt like Tracer merc.

I also played GW2 enough to know that while the combat sounds similar to TSW in concept, it's much better implemented in practice. I can expand on it if you like, but I don't want to turn this into a TSW vs GW2 thread.

User Deleted
6/24/12 3:03:00 PM#14

You have to weigh the things you like about a game against the things you dont and then decide if you want to play. Thats how all mmos are. Fanboys will try to convince you that their favorite game is perfect but in reality, they just choose to ignore the bad because they love the good so much.

Thats fine, but if you get caught up in this fantasy that there is a perfect mmo for you somewhere, you will end up not playing anything except the forum game where everything gets picked apart and scrutinized.

Anyway, I hope you find a game that you enjoy. Sorry this one didnt work out for you.

zyklonian

Novice Member

6/24/12 3:20:03 PM#15

i just cant get passed the animations.  its 2012 not 1999

SlickShoes

Novice Member

6/24/12 3:31:27 PM#16
Originally posted by DannyGlover

You have to weigh the things you like about a game against the things you dont and then decide if you want to play. Thats how all mmos are. Fanboys will try to convince you that their favorite game is perfect but in reality, they just choose to ignore the bad because they love the good so much.

Thats fine, but if you get caught up in this fantasy that there is a perfect mmo for you somewhere, you will end up not playing anything except the forum game where everything gets picked apart and scrutinized.

Anyway, I hope you find a game that you enjoy. Sorry this one didnt work out for you.

Yep you hit the nail on the head with this post. I don't understand why people feel the need to broadcast to everyone why X game is amazing and why Y game is terrible. It's just a product that you can either buy or not buy, I have never went on the cadburys chocolate forum just to start a thread about how amazing I think Hersheys is, its the same thing.

I thought this game was OK but im not going to bother buying it, that doesn't upset me, I don't feel betrayed or hard done by, I can also understand perfectly why many people will really enjoy it for years to come.

I just can't really grasp why people become so attached to a game that they would bad mouth another game or players of another game just to make there one look better in some way. It's a product you either buy or you don't that is it.

The only people I can understand being personally affected by the way the game is recieved or not is the people that worked for 5 years or so to make it.

Deathofsage

Apprentice Member

Honestly:
FFXI Fanboy
RIFT hater.
Stop rewarding wow-clones.

6/24/12 4:52:01 PM#17
Originally posted by SlickShoes
Originally posted by DannyGlover

Yep you hit the nail on the head with this post. I don't understand why people feel the need to broadcast to everyone why X game is amazing and why Y game is terrible. It's just a product that you can either buy or not buy, I have never went on the cadburys chocolate forum just to start a thread about how amazing I think Hersheys is, its the same thing.

I thought this game was OK but im not going to bother buying it, that doesn't upset me, I don't feel betrayed or hard done by, I can also understand perfectly why many people will really enjoy it for years to come.

I just can't really grasp why people become so attached to a game that they would bad mouth another game or players of another game just to make there one look better in some way. It's a product you either buy or you don't that is it.

The only people I can understand being personally affected by the way the game is recieved or not is the people that worked for 5 years or so to make it.

Eh, lots of people (myself included) are just comparing games to what we've played in the past. Not because we're championing the old games or trying to say others should play them, but because you have to compare it to something.

I've explained why I dislike the game's combat, but it wouldn't be fair if I just said "The combat sucks." or "The combat sucks, even WoW's was as good/better.". Nope, even though I no longer play WoW, I can say (and have said) "I'm tired of tab targeting and 7 abilities just feels really neutered on top of it. There's a dozen action mmos now (Tera-esque), most are F2P. It would have been top-notch to see TSW use something so exciting and refreshing as the actiony combat of those games.

I don't think 7 abilities offers as much customization as TSW's champions insist it does. At least four of those slots will be spent on either--

Single Target Builder, AOE Builder, Weapon 1 Finisher, Weapon 2 Finisher or

Single target Builder, Weapon 1 Finisher, Weapon 2 Finisher, AOE Weapon Finisher.

Myself, for my tanks and dps, I've chosen ST Builder, AOE Builder, W1 Finisher, W2 Finisher, W1 AOE Finisher.

I feel like, to solo (of which TSW is too much for an MMO), I have to have these that way I'm not killing a pack (or just multiple agro) one mob at a time.

You can tell they put so much effort into the story, and that makes me sad actually, because it means I probably won't be seeing an MMO with such good story/lore AND refreshing combat. Surely the industry is leary of story-driven mmos after TOR's failure (regardless of what actually caused TOR to fail.. since they never seem to understand).

I guess if I'm gonna enjoy the combat, it's going to be while killing 10 rats for no good reason.

God I love TSW's questing... I really do.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.
Placing bets Blizzard's "Titan" will be a wow-clone.

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/24/12 5:10:15 PM#18
Originally posted by Deathofsage

I don't think 7 abilities offers as much customization as TSW's champions insist it does. At least four of those slots will be spent on either--

Single target Builder, Weapon 1 Finisher, Weapon 2 Finisher, AOE Weapon Finisher.

Myself, for my tanks and dps, I've chosen ST Builder, AOE Builder, W1 Finisher, W2 Finisher, W1 AOE Finisher.

I feel like, to solo (of which TSW is too much for an MMO), I have to have these that way I'm not killing a pack (or just multiple agro) one mob at a time.

Why not have two builds you switch between, one for doing single mobs and one for doing multiple mobs? (Except for the current lack of hotkeys to do it)

My typical questing build was more like: single target builder, first weapon finisher, second weapon finisher, 3x insta cast utility and one elite ability.

If you know what fight you are getting into - which you usually do, you can have preselected the appropriate build.

User Deleted
6/24/12 5:13:38 PM#19

Those are some pretty basic dps decks that will probably be good questing decks and maybe polaris for your tank deck. The decks open up a lot when you start doing nightmare modes. You'll start saving decks for boss fights. I imagine after the game has been out for a while, you will be able to wiki group deck setups for nightmare modes of all boss fights. Its probably going to end up being a fairly huge list of viable decks for this game. PvP is a whole other beast where you can run specialized decks as well.

Deathofsage

Apprentice Member

Honestly:
FFXI Fanboy
RIFT hater.
Stop rewarding wow-clones.

6/24/12 5:17:11 PM#20
Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Why not have two builds you switch between, one for doing single mobs and one for doing multiple mobs? (Except for the current lack of hotkeys to do it)

My typical questing build was more like: single target builder, first weapon finisher, second weapon finisher, 3x insta cast utility and one elite ability.

If you know what fight you are getting into - which you usually do, you can have preselected the appropriate build.

Lack of friendly UI way to switch decks, and I'm speaking mostly for questing where agro happens or you don't know what a quest is going to throw at you from step to step.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.
Placing bets Blizzard's "Titan" will be a wow-clone.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search