Trending Games | ArcheAge | Rift | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,282 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,190,031
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » Found one major issue / flaw in TSW

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
31 posts found
  gamekid2k

Novice Member

OP  6/24/12 11:32:23 AM#1

This game exceeded all my expectations ( I been an MMORPG player for last 9 years convering everything from EQ to TERA).  

My major concern is that the way this game is designed, will anyone roll an alt?  Seems like one char is enough to try all different "classes". If this is going to subscription then w/out alt the replay value will reduce.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Aceundor

Novice Member

Why do I keep reading these forums?

6/24/12 11:38:03 AM#2
Originally posted by gamekid2k

This game exceeded all my expectations ( I been an MMORPG player for last 9 years convering everything from EQ to TERA).  

My major concern is that the way this game is designed, will anyone roll an alt?  Seems like one char is enough to try all different "classes". If this is going to subscription then w/out alt the replay value will reduce.

its intentional. It will take even the l33t´st player months to max out the ability wheel. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

User Deleted
6/24/12 11:39:51 AM#3

Well, it's not an alt based game, that simple. The main story cutscenes will be different between the factions, but not that actual missions. Those are the ranking quests, which are indeed unique.

Personally, the way i look at it is this way:

In other mmos, replayability is made by cutting the game into different "pieces". Basically, different content for different factions, or different starting areas. This actually forces you to restart the game even if you don't want to. In TSW, all content (expect ranking missions) is available to you with only 1 character. You don't have to do everything in a single area to move to the next one, beyond the main storyline. You can come back to finish or replay anything you may have left behind whenever you want.

Besides, it's a themeparks with finite content. And like all of them, it's up to Funcom to put their heads down adn keep releasing updates as fast as they can to keep players happy.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 11:41:38 AM#4
Originally posted by Aceundor

its intentional. It will take even the l33t´st player months to max out the ability wheel. 

sure some crazy gamer will do it in the first month but yea should take normal player good while to max out a single character. Then it really just depends if you want to be one of the other factions... but there is no real reason to make more than 3 characters in this game unless you just want to be on another server and don't want to pay for the transfer.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Siug

Advanced Member

6/24/12 11:44:37 AM#5

I actually I like the way it was designed. I've had alts in most games but mostly for crafting skills I cannot cover with my main. Then again many people love having many alts and TSW does not cover this aspect for them.

smh_alot

Apprentice Member

6/24/12 11:46:23 AM#6
Originally posted by Aerowyn

unless you just want to be on another server and don't want to pay for the transfer.

I read somewhere that you can group up with friends on other servers on their or your server regardless, even befriend and chat with them across servers. That feature has been scrapped?
  Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 11:47:45 AM#7
Originally posted by smh_alot

unless you just want to be on another server and don't want to pay for the transfer.

I read somewhere that you can group up with friends on other servers on their or your server regardless, even befriend and chat with them across servers. That feature has been scrapped?

no its still in.. but permanent move you need to pay for

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

User Deleted
6/24/12 11:50:20 AM#8

Even if you could alt, why would you? It's all pretty damn linear. I'd youtube the faction "Stories".

I'm curious, with the lack of alts, what is end game? Certainly it isn't necessary to grind out ALL the skills, and I'd assume only the truly obsessed would choose to do so. So what else would one do?

bcbully

Elite Member

6/24/12 11:54:56 AM#9

sure some crazy gamer will do it in the first month but yea should take normal player good while to max out a single character. Then it really just depends if you want to be one of the other factions... but there is no real reason to make more than 3 characters in this game unless you just want to be on another server and don't want to pay for the transfer.

Well we don't know how a transfer system would work. Even if there will be one with the one sever tech and meet ups that move you from deminsion to demension until you log out.

The only reason to transfer deminsions would be to find a demension that your faction controls more of Fusang more often.

edit -"but permanent move you need to pay for" 

This is misinformation.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 11:55:08 AM#10
Originally posted by Terronte

Even if you could alt, why would you? It's all pretty damn linear. I'd youtube the faction "Stories".

I'm curious, with the lack of alts, what is end game? Certainly it isn't necessary to grind out ALL the skills, and I'd assume only the truly obsessed would choose to do so. So what else would one do?

nightmare mode dungeons, and pvp(battleground types and persistant zone) for now if you don't care to max out the skill wheel.. or craft ....much more than TERA at least

gamekid2k

Novice Member

OP  6/24/12 11:56:19 AM#11

The loot drama in TSW will be interesting since everyone can make a case for 100% NEED.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 11:56:46 AM#12
Originally posted by bcbully

Well we don't know how a transfer system would work. Even if there will be one with the one sever tech and meet ups that move you from deminsion to demension until you log out.

The only reason to transfer deminsions would be to find a demension that your faction controls more of Fusang more often.

it's on the official forums they will have the friend cross server grouping thing but also paid server transfers if you wish to do that

Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 11:57:18 AM#13

The loot drama in TSW will be interesting since everyone can make a case for 100% NEED.

lol very true

bcbully

Elite Member

6/24/12 12:00:30 PM#14
Originally posted by bcbully

it's on the official forums they will have the friend cross server grouping thing but also paid server transfers if you wish to do that

It's not just "grouping thing" You stay until you log off. go do what you want. It's more of a pull system.  

I couldn't find that on the official forums either btw about the paid part. I'm bad at search though.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

6/24/12 12:02:42 PM#15

I believe their biggest "issue" is that the game is p2p in an increasing f2p/b2p market.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

6/24/12 12:03:35 PM#16
Originally posted by Kuppa

I believe their biggest "issue" is that the game is p2p in an increasing f2p/b2p market.

can't really argue with that p2p model seems to be dwindling down

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

6/24/12 12:07:37 PM#17

There's nothing stooping you rolling other characters, you could in fact specialize each character only using a portion of the skill wheel you desire.

There is supposed raids and normal heroic, and nightmare dungeons just like ever other theme park.

Persistent, and instanced pvp.

Lore, Story, achievement and exploration objectives.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

6/24/12 12:08:11 PM#18

Originally posted by Kuppa I believe their biggest "issue" is that the game is p2p in an increasing f2p/b2p market.

Based on what assumptions?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

User Deleted
6/24/12 12:11:58 PM#19
Originally posted by Nitth

There's nothing stooping you rolling other characters, you could in fact specialize each character only using a portion of the skill wheel you desire.

Did they state their policy on characters and characters per server? i recall early on they were stating like 1 per server or something?

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

6/24/12 12:12:52 PM#20
Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Kuppa I believe their biggest "issue" is that the game is p2p in an increasing f2p/b2p market.

Based on what assumptions?

Are you debating that p2p models are dwindling down? or something else?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search