Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,786,521 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,170
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
87 posts found
  mikuniman

Advanced Member

6/18/12 1:21:07 PM#41
Originally posted by dangle

Okay then I should probably add that I've pre-ordered both TSW and GW2 and I like TSW better. ;-)

Character creation still sucks.

same here, and well said!

MosesZD

Novice Member

6/18/12 1:27:31 PM#42
Originally posted by Agrias34

Well, we could just be given a character creation model that has gender locked classes/factions and you can only change the facial features and not even the clothing.  You don't realize what you have, until you lose it.

The worst thing is that the demo they did at GDC 2012 included a size slider. Of course I realize that it's missing now.

I've played a lot of MMORPGs with at least races/classes locked to specific models, look at my registration date here. But I don't remember playing an actual MMORPG that didn't let me adjust more about the face than TSW. Lots of games are more restrictive but they aren't MMORPGs. Especially not MMORPGs that try to sell you additional character customization in an item shop.

SWTOR is more far more restrictive.    Five races depending on faction.   All are humans.

Each head has three models (african, asian, caucasian) and nine, more-or-less, 'appropriate' skin shades.   Each race is an exact model clone with different 'racial' characteristics (horns, blindness, tentacles, etc.) grafted on and some skin shade options.   And a lot of the faces weren't very well done unless you wanted to go to the 'freak' end of the character creation universe.   Plus, while you had various hair styles and colors to chose from vis makeup/facial hair and hair color....     A lot of the options were plain bad or, in some cases, just dupicates with different numbers...    

So running into your exact character was common place.   At least for me.  

So when you're saying this MMO sets the lowest bar ever...   Compared to SWTOR it's customization fest...  

Thorbrand

Novice Member

6/18/12 1:30:20 PM#43

To be fair we are all human in the game.

JuJutsu

Novice Member

6/18/12 1:34:44 PM#44
Originally posted by MosesZD

Well, we could just be given a character creation model that has gender locked classes/factions and you can only change the facial features and not even the clothing.  You don't realize what you have, until you lose it.

The worst thing is that the demo they did at GDC 2012 included a size slider. Of course I realize that it's missing now.

I've played a lot of MMORPGs with at least races/classes locked to specific models, look at my registration date here. But I don't remember playing an actual MMORPG that didn't let me adjust more about the face than TSW. Lots of games are more restrictive but they aren't MMORPGs. Especially not MMORPGs that try to sell you additional character customization in an item shop.

SWTOR is more far more restrictive.    Five races depending on faction.   All are humans.

Each head has three models (african, asian, caucasian) and nine, more-or-less, 'appropriate' skin shades.   Each race is an exact model clone with different 'racial' characteristics (horns, blindness, tentacles, etc.) grafted on and some skin shade options.   And a lot of the faces weren't very well done unless you wanted to go to the 'freak' end of the character creation universe.   Plus, while you had various hair styles and colors to chose from vis makeup/facial hair and hair color....     A lot of the options were plain bad or, in some cases, just dupicates with different numbers...    

So when you're saying this MMO sets the lowest bar ever...   Compared to SWTOR it's customization fest...  

Baloney. I play swtor so I know from first hand experience that character creation is much better there. I notice you didn't include the body options which have a wide variance in appearance. Where are the body options in TSW? I've preordered TSW and I'll sub to the game...but character creation in TSW sucks, it detracts from the game it doesn't add to it.

Panthien

Novice Member

6/18/12 1:34:48 PM#45
Originally posted by Kaocan
Originally posted by JuJutsu
Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Just look at this player cycling through random presets: http://youtu.be/oJ3AOEMpIfQ

That's the random presets for the head. If the random preset for the head had included the clothes you can select at startup as well, you wouldn't see anything looking the same in bloody ages.

There are a lot of clothes available as rewards from dungeons and you can buy them from ingame cash in the shops in London, New York and Seoul.

The faces still look the same. The body shape is still the same. It's like the clone wars all over again. A few clothes don't change this. Worst character creator I've seen in ages.

^^^^ This. I'm trying to think of a worse character creation system, but I can't.

For some, a stick is always a stick. You can not change the way they think. Watch the video again, please do. put it on HD mode and zoom in on the face....oh wait, thats right...you can't. How about taking a few seconds to actually SEE the faces as each are presented in this great video...oh...well thats right again...you can't. 

That is all because the creator of the video didnt want anyone to see any differences in the faces, it would have defeated the point he made it, which was to come on here and create this thread. Now, had he been an open minded and HONEST poster, he would have used the zoom function in the editor to bring us in on a close up to the face. And then would have clicked the random button less than 120 times a minute so we had a chance to actually SEE that which he is trying to tell us.

I'm not saying the character creation is the best I have seen, but they are not all identical as this OP would like to make everyone believe. His video was made specifically to misslead and misdirect. Stop trying to push an agenda please. If you want us to believe you, post something that is usefull, not a spin cycle vid like this one.

And lets be honest here shall we, the OP has 14 posts to his name on these forums, 12 of those are negative slam posts to TSW character generator. I wouldnt' be the least surprised to find this to be someones old second or third account on here which was resurected for the sole purpose of bashing TSW and maintaining the actual persons reputation hiden on another account name. Anyone who can maintain Lurker status without a single issue on THESE forums for almost 9 years doesn't just flip out one day and start posting all negatives on a single topic. Not unless this character creation system is the end of the world for them.... which I could be wrong, and it could be.

Same reason the OP and haters avoid reaction to the face image Ive posted, it clearly proofs them wrong.

But Ill repeat the male one, these are just the basic heads, I didnt bother to play with any of the sliders other then head shape.

These are the females.

Kaocan

Novice Member

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.

6/18/12 1:44:53 PM#46
Originally posted by JuJutsu
Originally posted by MosesZD

Baloney. I play swtor so I know from first hand experience that character creation is much better there. I notice you didn't include the body options which have a wide variance in appearance. Where are the body options in TSW? I've preordered TSW and I'll sub to the game...but character creation in TSW sucks, it detracts from the game it doesn't add to it.

Ahh those wondermuss body custimization options in SWTOR, because we all heard all those glowing reviews on the fat guy model right? Personally SWTOR sucks just as bad as TSW when it comes to custimization options. Maybe I'm just spoiled by CoH, but this isnt what I would call good in TSW, SWTOR, or in GW2 for that matter. All lazy attempts to give you 'something' because its required. Neither of those games attempts to provide some quality to the system. 

But, the truth is still the truth here, what is in TSW at this time, has its differences from each other. They are not all the same. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

dangle

Novice Member

OP  6/18/12 1:47:12 PM#47
Originally posted by Panthien
Same reason the OP and haters avoid reaction to the face image Ive posted, it clearly proofs them wrong.
?I thought I replied last time...
Look at your pictures. The cheekbones are in the same place on every single one. There isn't even a difference between male and female. The shape of the brow is the exact same. The distance between mouth and eyes is identical. The distance between eyes is identical. The necks are identical. The shape of the cranium is identical.
Hop over to the EVE forum if you want to see characters that are actually different and unique.

Panthien

Novice Member

6/18/12 1:54:41 PM#48
Look at your pictures. The cheekbones are in the same place on every single one. There isn't even a difference between male and female. The shape of the brow is the exact same. The distance between mouth and eyes is identical. The distance between eyes is identical. The necks are identical. The shape of the cranium is identical.
Hop over to the EVE forum if you want to see characters that are actually different and unique.

THis is just cute, you where complaining about the shape of the head, so I didnt play with the sliders, the shape of each head is different.

I even explained that. I didnt play with the following sliders:

5 different types of noses.

5 different types of lips.

5 different types of jaws.

5 different types of eyes.

13 different skin collors

12 different eye collors

11 hairstyles

13 hair collors

13 facial hair collors(for males)

5 different types of eye brows

12 different beard/mustache (male)

3 types of make up (female)

Funny enough every single head clearly IS different, yet you are still argueing this. Just admit  they are distinctingly different, they already know.

Noone is argueing there is no room for improvement to apperance customization, but the picture(s) clearly proof you wrong.

Kaocan

Novice Member

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.

6/18/12 1:59:51 PM#49

EVE? You mean the game where you dont actually play a character, but a ship?

And you must be looking at different pictures than we are, either that or your definition of 'identical' isnt 'identical' to ours. Not to mention either you are having difficuly reading what others are wrtingin your thread, or you never actually played TSW at all and have no idea what they are talking about. I wonder which it is.....

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Pheonyx

Novice Member

6/18/12 2:04:08 PM#50

Okay then I should probably add that I've pre-ordered both TSW and GW2 and I like TSW better. ;-)

I have to agree with this; the character creation is lacking... if you go through and look at the actual pieces, you will see that what looks like 80 choices for something like pants or top or jacket is in reality only about 10 pieces with 8 color palatte variations. Games that came out before TSW had more expansive character creation (for Pete's sake, just look at the creator for APB as one example), and for a game releasing in 2012 on PC (not even a console... Saint's Row 3 had more variation as a console game) that is subpar at best.

Yes, I know they will be counting on the RPer cash cow in the item store on top of the subscription, but a really good character creation system can draw in those RPer cash cows. I like the game mechanics in this game and the classless/levelless setup, but if Funcom doesn't grab their players' interests right off the bat (in character creation), then this game will fall into obscurity.

Oh, and they need to fix the vertical jump animation... who the hell jumps up with their arms against their sides except for superheroes jumping up to fly away?

Ashes to ashes,

Pheonyx

[color=blue]"The coward knows only death; the hero knows only life"- Kakita Toshimoko, Legend of the Five Rings CCG/RPG

Panthien

Novice Member

6/18/12 2:16:23 PM#51
Originally posted by Pheonyx

I have to agree with this; the character creation is lacking... if you go through and look at the actual pieces, you will see that what looks like 80 choices for something like pants or top or jacket is in reality only about 10 pieces with 8 color palatte variations. Games that came out before TSW had more expansive character creation (for Pete's sake, just look at the creator for APB as one example), and for a game releasing in 2012 on PC (not even a console... Saint's Row 3 had more variation as a console game) that is subpar at best.

Yes, I know they will be counting on the RPer cash cow in the item store on top of the subscription, but a really good character creation system can draw in those RPer cash cows. I like the game mechanics in this game and the classless/levelless setup, but if Funcom doesn't grab their players' interests right off the bat (in character creation), then this game will fall into obscurity.

Oh, and they need to fix the vertical jump animation... who the hell jumps up with their arms against their sides except for superheroes jumping up to fly away?

Ashes to ashes,

Pheonyx

Actually there are clothes stores in game and not all clothes options are currently activated (my 1st char had some options that my later ones didnt and visa versa), some mobs and instances drop new outfits and even some missions give some.

Just saying, kinna makes perfect sense you dont get all the clothes to pick from at release. Heck even some of the string bikini bathing suit designs from ao are already coded into the game.

CujoSWAoA

Apprentice Member

"Pablo Picasso said art is a lie that tells the truth."

6/18/12 2:20:39 PM#52

I think people nitpicking this portion of TSW isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think its a sign that they just wish the game had a more robust creation system so that they could FURTHER ENJOY the game itself.

I have to agree, with that at least, and ultimately be baffled that Age of Conan's engine yielded a less detailed character creator than AoC itself has.

Going BACKWARD in features like this..... is seriously f'd up.

MosesZD

Novice Member

6/18/12 2:23:41 PM#53
Well I looked at your youtube and am in closed beta, faces do not look the same. Even in that youtube movie you show there are distinct differences, but Im guessing by looking the same you mean same body type and every character has a head and neck on their shoulders.
?No, I mean things like the general shape of the face. In real life people have different shaped faces on a very fundamental level, the famous heart/oval/and so on "face types". This does not exist in TSW and it is visible in your pictures as well as in the video.

The fact that the body can't be adjusted plays a role, too. There is no way to change the amount of fat or muscle mass, which would affect the face. None of the face presets take this into account.

There are five basic structures:  Oval, Round, Oblong, Square, Triangular (what you called 'heart shaped.'   They have six basic variations within the five.   That gives a whopping 30.

Which is why we end up with issues like 'mistaken identity' and celebrity look-a-likes.

JuJutsu

Novice Member

6/18/12 6:09:58 PM#54
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I think people nitpicking this portion of TSW isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think its a sign that they just wish the game had a more robust creation system so that they could FURTHER ENJOY the game itself.

I have to agree, with that at least, and ultimately be baffled that Age of Conan's engine yielded a less detailed character creator than AoC itself has.

Going BACKWARD in features like this..... is seriously f'd up.

Yup. I've pre-ordered and what I've seen in the beta weekends, I'll be subscribing. But despite the horrid character creation... I'll put up with the fugly clones until I can't.

Brynn

Advanced Member

6/18/12 9:27:16 PM#55

What you all don't realize, the game is in beta. All the characters including the NPCs are placeholders. Beta is for finding bugs, not for developing your character. I've been assured the release will improve character creation.

Acidon

Apprentice Member

Permafried

6/18/12 9:31:35 PM#56

Just look at this player cycling through random presets: http://youtu.be/oJ3AOEMpIfQ

Kind of telling since the game will have an item shop for clothes... so we will have to pay for actual character customization.

While my personal play-time wasn't extensive, I never saw another char that looked remotely as I did.  But, that could be that I'm an alien.  *shrug* 

Playing: The Crew, Defiance, RiFT
Mourning: World of Darkness

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
http://www.acidonsolutions.com

litewolf

Novice Member

6/18/12 9:49:00 PM#57

They do need to add some new faces. The clothing options were very extensive but the faces all had a similar look to them. They need more faces and itll be fine.

dangle

Novice Member

OP  6/19/12 3:48:11 AM#58
Originally posted by Brynn

What you all don't realize, the game is in beta. All the characters including the NPCs are placeholders. Beta is for finding bugs, not for developing your character. I've been assured the release will improve character creation.

You must have skipped reading the producer's replies on the public beta forums. He wrote that character creation was what we'll get at launch, with the exception that they will add bald heads and white hair and some more clothes.

doho7744

Novice Member

6/23/12 1:02:09 AM#59

Did not read whole thread will say that in beta dev already said they were limiting choices in character creation.  In fact its been repeated ad nauseum.

JuJutsu

Novice Member

6/26/12 1:23:22 PM#60
Originally posted by doho7744

Did not read whole thread will say that in beta dev already said they were limiting choices in character creation.  In fact its been repeated ad nauseum.

Apparently the 'limited choices' boil down to 2 choices: white hair & bald head. Wow, character creation will be SO much better once they're in. TSW character creation is horrible as has been repeated ad nauseum.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search