Trending Games | Darkest Dungeon | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Skyforge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,771,489 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,186
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search
143 posts found
  DaSpack

Apprentice Member

OP  6/22/12 11:16:17 AM#141
Originally posted by Falcon760

To the original poster: if this is the most original thing you've ever played, then you haven't played very much.  It's the same darn thing except kicked up a few notches with cutscenes and fancy graphics.  The only thing that really appeals to me right now about this game is the environment and maybe the tone of the game.  Everything else is god awful. 

The missions are the same run-here-kill-this-many-guys missions that every other MMO has.

I would have to say that the cut scenes are too long and don't feel immersive.  I thought this was a more "open" game, but for the first couple of hours, I'm "directed" to certain quests and along certain storylines.  I haven't played an "open" world game since Ultima Online.  I mean, where you can go anywhere and do anything.  There doesn't even seem to be a way to diverge from the "main" storyline. 

The combat is just about as bad as it gets.  I didnt see any noticeable difference between guns and the fights were composed mostly of endless firing.  The controls are god awful.  If there is a way to map controls, that'd be nice.  Usually backing up is my problem, but there is no way you can do that during a fight and keep firing without hitting two keys at once on the keyboard. 

I wouldnt say cut scenes make or break a game anyway, so I'm not sure why there's so many of them in the game. 

The story is great and the environment is great, but I just thought there was a little more "secret" to this "secret world".  There's no sneaking around, no stealth, no disguising yourself, and so on. 

Zombies.   I really hated killing zombies at the beginning.  Everything is zombies now-a-days. 

The character creation stinks.  With the top being EVE Online's character customizations, I would have to say TSW ranks near the bottom.  It has a little more customization than Star Trek Online, but even City of Heroes and Age of Conan have nicer looking options to choose from.  Some of those ugly, spotted jackets were just atrocious.  And the facial options were god-awful and none of them looked like they went together. 

This will be a middle of the pack MMO, but most of the casual gamers will be driven away from the sheer boredom of the cut-scenes and linear stories. 

I think you have no clue to be honest. Also the impressions in my original post comes from a very respected Inquistr reviewer. It is ok to try TSW dude, GW2 have not even got a launch date yet.

The Ultimate Breakdown

MMO_REVIEWER

Novice Member

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. let it take us in new directions

6/22/12 4:05:38 PM#142

"'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'."

I was playing and then i rememberd this quote when I came across a quest that required me to do alittle research. Good stuff, a game that makes you think!

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

Whyspre

Advanced Member

6/23/12 8:12:33 PM#143
Originally posted by reanor

Lies? During the Beta I've played 95% of the quests I've done I had to go and kill some kind of zombies. I've played the game for about 2 hours and got tired of doing similar stuff. Finally I got to police station and guess what, she sent me to quests that made me kill more zombies. I am calling them all zombies is that what you call lies? Most of the mobs are walking dead creatures. Then the guy in chruch sent me to kill more zombies. Oh yeah, I had a quest to find a piece of paper on the ground, but to get there I had to kill more groups of zombies. So where am I lying?

LOL - it took you TWO HOURS to get to the police station... that has to be some kind of record... let's see from Boone to the PD... hmmm kill 6 zombies... hmm jump on cars... hmm pick up a quest... hmm kill a mini boss... hmmm 10 minutes MAX... you either are a complete noob or terrible player... sorry.... but TWO HOURS to get to the first location in the zone.... please....

Sylentz

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search