Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | TERA: Rising | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,645,769 Users Online:0
Games:687  Posts:6,083,583
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
143 posts found
  Aerowyn

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 4:16:45 PM#101
Originally posted by cutthecrap
Originally posted by Aerowyn
At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

Like you yourself also already stated, no, there aren't just kill quests, far from - it'd be like saying that GW2 has only kill quests bc a number of quests require you to fill your kill quotum - as the many other types of quests are proof of. And next to that, it's even more nonsense to conclude that TSW is all about killing zombies, ignoring all the other creature types that you'll encounter everywhere in TSW.

I'd even go so far to say that the monster mobs are among the most interesting and admirable ones I've seen done in an MMO, quite ingenious ones that can be encountered.

I agree the other poster was WAY overexaggerating how questing was in this game but also just pointing out there are plenty of traditional quests in this game like all themeparks but there are enough of the other types to keep things more interesting that most MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

cooper85

Novice Member

6/14/12 4:19:24 PM#102
At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

Like you yourself also already stated, no, there aren't just kill quests, far from - it'd be like saying that GW2 has only kill quests bc a number of quests require you to fill your kill quotum - as the many other types of quests are proof of. And next to that, it's even more nonsense to conclude that TSW is all about killing zombies, ignoring all the other creature types that you'll encounter everywhere in TSW.

I'd even go so far to say that the monster mobs are among the most interesting and admirable ones I've seen done in an MMO, quite ingenious ones that can be encountered.

I agree the other poster was WAY overexaggerating how questing was in this game but also just pointing out there are plenty of traditional quests in this game like all themeparks but there are enough of the other types to keep things more interesting that most MMOs

Would you agree that you could skip 95% of those kill quest? Maybe even 99% of them? 

I know personally I am happy to get one of those, so I can just relax.

Devilock

Novice Member

6/14/12 4:25:56 PM#103
Originally posted by reanor

Lies? During the Beta I've played 95% of the quests I've done I had to go and kill some kind of zombies. I've played the game for about 2 hours and got tired of doing similar stuff. Finally I got to police station and guess what, she sent me to quests that made me kill more zombies. I am calling them all zombies is that what you call lies? Most of the mobs are walking dead creatures. Then the guy in chruch sent me to kill more zombies. Oh yeah, I had a quest to find a piece of paper on the ground, but to get there I had to kill more groups of zombies. So where am I lying?

It's obvious from every word you post that you haven't played more than like 2 hours, obvious to anyone who has played longer and bc of it knows the ignorance of your words.

So no, you're not lying, your experience after all doesn't reach farther than 2 hours. People who have played far longer than you are merely stating how ignorant you are  of what players will encounter after a simple 2 hours

there is a good variety in quest in this game but there are lots of kill x types as well.. it's just nice they mixed it up a bit. Honestly though some of the kill x quests got annoying for instance the guy on top of the station gives you the quest to kill things on the beach which is like 6 tiers or so and each tier is kill x then kill x of the guys standing 5 feet away from the ones you just killed. Then theres the mass grave kill x quests then the kill the named guys all over the map. There's others but my issue is the kill x ones were like 5 or 6 tiers of killing mobs which got boring. At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

I think you are kind of exagerating...yes there are kill x of y quests but they are by FAR the minority.  you will do alot of other quests in between doing kill 5 of these types of zombies.  It was actually funny, because the minute I got a quest like that I threw a mental fit...why do I have to do what every other game makes their entire experience....then I said, "oh....that's why i wanna play this game....cuz I dont have to mindlessly grind kill quests all day"....

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

6/14/12 4:28:56 PM#104
Originally posted by cooper85

Each name mob is a mini boss with 4-6 different abilities. 

What game are you guys playing?! its like there is this magical world on the other side of the CB that none of us know about lol

Aerowyn

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 4:54:57 PM#105
Originally posted by Devilock

Lies? During the Beta I've played 95% of the quests I've done I had to go and kill some kind of zombies. I've played the game for about 2 hours and got tired of doing similar stuff. Finally I got to police station and guess what, she sent me to quests that made me kill more zombies. I am calling them all zombies is that what you call lies? Most of the mobs are walking dead creatures. Then the guy in chruch sent me to kill more zombies. Oh yeah, I had a quest to find a piece of paper on the ground, but to get there I had to kill more groups of zombies. So where am I lying?

It's obvious from every word you post that you haven't played more than like 2 hours, obvious to anyone who has played longer and bc of it knows the ignorance of your words.

So no, you're not lying, your experience after all doesn't reach farther than 2 hours. People who have played far longer than you are merely stating how ignorant you are  of what players will encounter after a simple 2 hours

there is a good variety in quest in this game but there are lots of kill x types as well.. it's just nice they mixed it up a bit. Honestly though some of the kill x quests got annoying for instance the guy on top of the station gives you the quest to kill things on the beach which is like 6 tiers or so and each tier is kill x then kill x of the guys standing 5 feet away from the ones you just killed. Then theres the mass grave kill x quests then the kill the named guys all over the map. There's others but my issue is the kill x ones were like 5 or 6 tiers of killing mobs which got boring. At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

I think you are kind of exagerating...yes there are kill x of y quests but they are by FAR the minority.  you will do alot of other quests in between doing kill 5 of these types of zombies.  It was actually funny, because the minute I got a quest like that I threw a mental fit...why do I have to do what every other game makes their entire experience....then I said, "oh....that's why i wanna play this game....cuz I dont have to mindlessly grind kill quests all day"....

I wouldn't say FAR honestly i'd say a decent portion at least 25% are the kill x type my only issue with them is the length(Tiers) and yes for the most part you could skip many of them making them a much smaller %. I honestly don't mind some kill x quests anyway for instance the kill the named mobs all over one wasn't bad. And like I said there is enough variety in the quests you shouldn't find yourself bored with repeating the same kind of quest over and over like TERA.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Vidir

Advanced Member

6/14/12 4:57:21 PM#106

I just hope the game is great,not many recent games are any good,so just hope:-)

cooper85

Novice Member

6/14/12 4:58:12 PM#107
Originally posted by Devilock

I wouldn't say FAR honestly i'd say a decent portion at least 25% are the kill x type my only issue with them is the length(Tiers) and yes for the most part you could skip many of them making them a much smaller %. I honestly don't mind some kill x quests anyway for instance the kill the named mobs all over one wasn't bad. And like I said there is enough variety in the quests you shouldn't find yourself bored with repeating the same kind of quest over and over like TERA.

But you would agree that you can skip 95-99% of all of them right?

cutthecrap

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 5:01:25 PM#108
Originally posted by Kuppa

What game are you guys playing?! its like there is this magical world on the other side of the CB that none of us know about lol

Sorry, you might disagree but I find the monsters in TSW among the most interesting and intriguing ones I've encountered in an MMORPG. As for the types of quests, yes, there are a lot more quests that are no 'kill x of y' at all, and no it definitely isn't about killing zombies only, not even in Kingsmouth and certainly not beyond that. What game have you been playing??

Valua

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 5:06:10 PM#109
Originally posted by GreenHell

All MMO's will not be different as a result of TSW launching. It is a different kind of game and a lot of people will not like it.  I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I would say it goes F2P in under a year.

That being said I enjoy the game. It is different enough to keep me interested for awhile. I will probably buy it when it comes out.

I'm not bashing anything or anyone, just want to say this:

People said WoW was going to be a niche audience type game because it was too casual compared to the current MMO's at that time (EQ, Lineage etc.) and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying that's what will happen here and TSW will become the biggest MMO or anything, but I believe that gamers want smarter games nowadays, and TSW is probably the only current MMO that fits that slot.

achesoma

Advanced Member

6/14/12 5:13:53 PM#110
Originally posted by Valua
Originally posted by GreenHell

All MMO's will not be different as a result of TSW launching. It is a different kind of game and a lot of people will not like it.  I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I would say it goes F2P in under a year.

That being said I enjoy the game. It is different enough to keep me interested for awhile. I will probably buy it when it comes out.

I'm not bashing anything or anyone, just want to say this:

People said WoW was going to be a niche audience type game because it was too casual compared to the current MMO's at that time (EQ, Lineage etc.) and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying that's what will happen here and TSW will become the biggest MMO or anything, but I believe that gamers want smarter games nowadays, and TSW is probably the only current MMO that fits that slot.

Really?  You think gamers want smarter games?  That's an interesting theory.  Not sure how you came to that conclusion but interesting nonetheless. 

Derpybird

Novice Member

6/14/12 5:21:19 PM#111

Is this visually interesting? If so, then yes, many of them are. In terms of abilities and fighting them, not so much. Combat remains the weakest component PvE side in this game, IMO of course.

Kuppa,

Do you want a CB key because they give one out to people who have spent time on the other side. Then you can decide for yourself whether or not some of these claims have merit, at least in your eyes.

In my opinion, there is an awful lot of exaggeration about TSW on both sides, but if you want in, let me know.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

6/14/12 5:21:44 PM#112

Sorry, you might disagree but I find the monsters in TSW among the most interesting and intriguing ones I've encountered in an MMORPG. As for the types of quests, yes, there are a lot more quests that are no 'kill x of y' at all, and no it definitely isn't about killing zombies only, not even in Kingsmouth and certainly not beyond that. What game have you been playing??

I was referring specifically to mobs. I have no clue how you found the mobs in kingsmouth to be "ingenious"....Im assuming you mean they are clever and interesting to fight and that you are not talking about how they look. Because they were generic MMO mobs 101 for me. They had no clever or interesting AI or skills, they would whack at me and sometimes use an area of effect ability didn't see anything really special. You guys make it sound like they are amaizing mobs, thats why Im wondering if its CB 

EDIT: btw, some actually look pretty cool.

Centhan

Hard Core Member

6/14/12 5:42:55 PM#113

Are we allowed to at least try both TSW and GW2, and heaven forbid even like both?

jdnyc

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 5:51:48 PM#114
Originally posted by Centhan

Are we allowed to at least try both TSW and GW2, and heaven forbid even like both?

I love both.  For very different reasons.

Aerowyn

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 5:53:15 PM#115
Originally posted by Centhan

heh well i like both and plan on playing both:)

Derpybird

Novice Member

6/14/12 6:00:46 PM#116

I'd be curous to see an official breakdown of the quest system by investigation/fedex/kill/hybrid quests. My guess is that maybe 25% of them are pure kill quests. I think a lot of them are hybrids, as in search out information on something in multiple steps culminating in some fight.

I think the main story shines, with a nice mix of figuring things out with very little information to go on and data that has to be collected from the environment. These are really enjoyable and can be frustrating but in a good way.

In between these quests, though, is a world that is jamp packed with random mobs, sometimes stationary, sometimes patrolling. In my experience, the density is sometimes so great that you have to carefully pull 1 or 2 and watch your positioning or you will find yourself swarmed. These random trash mobs are possibly the most annoying thing about the game. So it's not the kill quests that I find necessarily bothersome but the mob density.

Now of course, with more people in game this may be a non-issue, and the density is in preparation for many players questing in the same area, and this issue will become a non-issue at launch.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

cooper85

Novice Member

6/14/12 6:00:57 PM#117
Originally posted by Charlizzard

Is this visually interesting? If so, then yes, many of them are. In terms of abilities and fighting them, not so much. Combat remains the weakest component PvE side in this game, IMO of course.

Kuppa,

Do you want a CB key because they give one out to people who have spent time on the other side. Then you can decide for yourself whether or not some of these claims have merit, at least in your eyes.

In my opinion, there is an awful lot of exaggeration about TSW on both sides, but if you want in, let me know.

I think much of the feeling stems from the fact that there are no predetermined rotations. You have to design you build and your rotaion for pve.  It's not easy after awhile you find a balance.

Example do I go with 2 builders, or 1. If I replace a builder with a more powerful consumer will I have enough X to consistanly get my consumers off.  Should I add a 3rd or a forth finisher? Do the cooldowns flow together? 

These are all questions you need to ask after you figure out what type of build you want to run. 

cutthecrap

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 6:01:26 PM#118

I was referring specifically to mobs. I have no clue how you found the mobs in kingsmouth to be "ingenious"....Im assuming you mean they are clever and interesting to fight and that you are not talking about how they look. Because they were generic MMO mobs 101 for me. They had no clever or interesting AI or skills, they would whack at me and sometimes use an area of effect ability didn't see anything really special. You guys make it sound like they are amaizing mobs, thats why Im wondering if its CB 

EDIT: btw, some actually look pretty cool.

I was talking about mob design as well as mechanics. As for the mechanics, people should try themselves whenever they do dungeons or boss mobs in the various areas, as for the design, just take a look at the monsters page on the official TSW forum. I find a number of them to be very imaginative.

cooper85

Novice Member

6/14/12 6:04:51 PM#119
Originally posted by Charlizzard

I'd be curous to see an official breakdown of the quest system by investigation/fedex/kill/hybrid quests. My guess is that maybe 25% of them are pure kill quests. I think a lot of them are hybrids, as in search out information on something in multiple steps culminating in some fight.

I think the main story shines, with a nice mix of figuring things out with very little information to go on and data that has to be collected from the environment. These are really enjoyable and can be frustrating but in a good way.

In between these quests, though, is a world that is jamp packed with random mobs, sometimes stationary, sometimes patrolling. In my experience, the density is sometimes so great that you have to carefully pull 1 or 2 and watch your positioning or you will find yourself swarmed. These random trash mobs are possibly the most annoying thing about the game. So it's not the kill quests that I find necessarily bothersome but the mob density.

Now of course, with more people in game this may be a non-issue, and the density is in preparation for many players questing in the same area, and this issue will become a non-issue at launch.

Since Aero wont respond, would agree that you can skip 95-99% of those kill quests? 

You have to plan your attack. You need to look at the area. See where you have room to kite and dodge. I can safly say anyone playing TSW for one month will know the basics of raiding. The game will teach you how to play, or you will quit.

Aerowyn

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 6:15:55 PM#120

Since Aero wont respond, would agree that you can skip 95-99% of those kill quests? 

You have to plan your attack. You need to look at the area. See where you have room to kite and dodge. I can safly say anyone playing TSW for one month will know the basics of raiding. The game will teach you how to play, or you will quit.

you could skip 99% of quests in TERA as well but wouldn't make advancement very efficient. But yes the ones i find tedious and annoying aren't major story plots or anything and could be skipped. But honestly most MMO's you can skip a ton of quests in rift you could level to cap with just doing pvp and dungeons after level 10 if you wanted.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search