Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,744 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,851
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
143 posts found
  Shodanas

Elite Member

5/11/12 7:11:22 AM#61

TSW is indeed a different MMO and not everyone's cup of tea. People who enjoy fantasy settings with bright colors won't feel at home at all. Also, players who like to solo are in for an unpleasant surprise as TSW is not quite solo friendly. Personally i don't mind but many players do.

All in all i think that TSW is a breeze of fresh air in todays MMO scene. Will it succeed? With Funcom you can never tell what's around the corner.. however, i do believe that it will establish a healthy subscription base.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

5/11/12 7:14:07 AM#62
Originally posted by Shodanas

TSW is indeed a different MMO and not everyone's cup of tea. People who enjoy fantasy settings with bright colors won't feel at home at all. Also, players who like to solo are in for an unpleasant surprise as TSW is not quite solo friendly. Personally i don't mind but many players do.

All in all i think that TSW is a breeze of fresh air in todays MMO scene. Will it succeed? With Funcom you can never tell what's around the corner.. however, i do believe that it will establish a healthy subscription base.

been playing closed beta for couple days now have not grouped up once.. seems very solo friendly so far, not sure what you are talking about in the aspect.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

User Deleted
5/11/12 7:22:19 AM#63

austriacus

Novice Member

5/11/12 7:39:20 AM#64
Originally posted by Valua
Originally posted by skydiver12

Most original and complex MMORPG he has ever played?

Name a more complex themepark game? I dare you.

It says mmorpgs in general terms, i dont see them being specific and mentioning themeparks, unless thats in the article.

Didnt bother reading because the topic says that, which is retarded to say the least. As you said, its a themepark.

oubers

Apprentice Member

5/11/12 7:42:48 AM#65
Originally posted by Kazuhiro

I've yet to play te game, (Will get to in the morning.)  but honestly my expectations are quite low for the game. The main draw for me is the setting, so few... err... well hell there actually arn't ANY other modern day themed mmos, so thats a big one. And I like the art so far.

However I do expect the combat to suck as badly as most other mmos. And I can assume there will be the old "fetch 10 mythical goat tails" quests that will put me to sleep faster than pills ever could. But it's mostly assumtions for now. find out shortly if it's something to look forward to, or just another pile of crap to wipe from my harddrive and favorites list.

if all mmo's put you to sleep every time you need to fetch some things, i think you need a break from gaming if it realy upsets you this much.

have a time-out

austriacus

Novice Member

5/11/12 7:57:13 AM#66
Originally posted by oubers

I've yet to play te game, (Will get to in the morning.)  but honestly my expectations are quite low for the game. The main draw for me is the setting, so few... err... well hell there actually arn't ANY other modern day themed mmos, so thats a big one. And I like the art so far.

However I do expect the combat to suck as badly as most other mmos. And I can assume there will be the old "fetch 10 mythical goat tails" quests that will put me to sleep faster than pills ever could. But it's mostly assumtions for now. find out shortly if it's something to look forward to, or just another pile of crap to wipe from my harddrive and favorites list.

if all mmo's put you to sleep every time you need to fetch some things, i think you need a break from gaming if it realy upsets you this much.

have a time-out

Some games can cloud the effect you get when you see fetch and kill x quests. Examples being Guild wars 2 hearts and dynamic events and Swtor storyline quests. Then you got the total opposite that just makes you puke. For example Tera.

Indol

Novice Member

5/11/12 8:07:00 AM#67

For me, this game is absolutely brilliant and refreshing.

Yeah the combat is fairly typical but almost everything else is innovative and inspired.

EDIT: As for Funcom, I thoroughly enjoyed Anarchy Online for many years. In terms of creativity and setting, no mmo i've played comes close even after all these years. I didn't play AoC but my experience with Funcom in relation to AO was pretty fantastic.

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

5/11/12 9:26:19 AM#68
Originally posted by oubers

have a time-out

If mindless tasks that aren't even cleverly disguised as anything more than busy work doesn't get you excited then you should stop gaming completely? 

If you find yourself enjoying mindless tasks for hours on end maybe it is YOU who should take a break from gaming and stimulate your mind a bit.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

5/11/12 9:30:29 AM#69

Sounds promising, hope we hear more good things about the game. Can't wait to hear from those in beta how's its been going, and how funcom handle bugs/tech difficulties and how well they communicate with the testers.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

5/11/12 9:35:54 AM#70
Originally posted by eluldor

This game actually requires me to think in order to solve quests :) That is about all I'll say for now.

ok that is a turn off for me.

not thinking but the requirement to do quests in the first place.

I know that sounds odd for MMO but quest dependency is a turn off for me.

Correlation does not imply causation

Derpybird

Novice Member

5/11/12 9:48:10 AM#71

I think it is disingenuous to say that TSWs questing requires thought. SOME quests require you to gather information from the surroudings, like looking at the wall of the church for a particular hymn number. MOST quests do not, and are a multi-stage fetch and/or kill kinds of quests.

The unfortunate thing is that while the environments are really beautiful and they set the right mood, but the character animations and the combat are severely lacking. It's really quite reminiscent of GW1 combat. You have a ton of skills to choose from but can only have 7 active (and 7 usually complimentary passive) and you usually end up spamming one thing to gain charges for you to use another thing, rinse and repeat.

Think of it this way- yes there are guns and elemental abilities and swords, but ultimately you have 1 primary attack that you spam to build up "charges", 1 "heavy" attack that uses these charges, 1 ability that is an AOE, 1 ability that applies some brief vulnerability, and 1 snare/slow/stun. Higher level abilities may become more varied, but this is all that I have seen so far.

The only time you move in combat seems to be when a very obvious visual cue gets place on the ground indicating that a mob is powering up an attack, including the radius and direction of the attack. So you stop attacking and move. Ugh.

So the question for many is: Does the environment, some quests that involve some degree of investigation of the surroundings, and some interesting mob design, make up for poor character models and really uninspired combat that we've all seen before?

I had really high hopes that this game would bring the horror genre to life.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Theocritus

Apprentice Member

5/11/12 11:14:27 PM#72

Im guessing Wolff Bachner hasn't played alot of MMOs then.......Hardly the most original...Everything pre-WoW is way more original.......I never saw the challenging part either.....All the quests I have done had a quest marker with location and distance attached.......Apparently there are a few down the road where you ahve to ask in chat or go to the net to get the info, but it isnt exactly rocket science.....I thought the makers of a game like AO would really come up with a great game, and what I got was cutscenes galore in a modern setting.

lordwedgely

Novice Member

5/12/12 2:49:20 AM#73
Originally posted by Charlizzard

I think it is disingenuous to say that TSWs questing requires thought. SOME quests require you to gather information from the surroudings, like looking at the wall of the church for a particular hymn number. MOST quests do not, and are a multi-stage fetch and/or kill kinds of quests.

The unfortunate thing is that while the environments are really beautiful and they set the right mood, but the character animations and the combat are severely lacking. It's really quite reminiscent of GW1 combat. You have a ton of skills to choose from but can only have 7 active (and 7 usually complimentary passive) and you usually end up spamming one thing to gain charges for you to use another thing, rinse and repeat.

Think of it this way- yes there are guns and elemental abilities and swords, but ultimately you have 1 primary attack that you spam to build up "charges", 1 "heavy" attack that uses these charges, 1 ability that is an AOE, 1 ability that applies some brief vulnerability, and 1 snare/slow/stun. Higher level abilities may become more varied, but this is all that I have seen so far.

The only time you move in combat seems to be when a very obvious visual cue gets place on the ground indicating that a mob is powering up an attack, including the radius and direction of the attack. So you stop attacking and move. Ugh.

So the question for many is: Does the environment, some quests that involve some degree of investigation of the surroundings, and some interesting mob design, make up for poor character models and really uninspired combat that we've all seen before?

The game could be good but that guy the OP is referencing is grossly exaggerating.

Ba da bing! good breakdown of combat Charlizzard. the telegraphing of specials by mobs pretty comical. jump behind and start the sequence again. forgot to add, good breakdown of the whole "deep thought" thing

i'm surprised more have not noticed how much of this game is lifted directly from anarchy online. except anarchy online is better, this game is anarchy online two but funcom totally fumbled delivery. definitely not ready for prime time, i really hope they decide to push it back.

Xstatic912

Apprentice Member

5/12/12 2:53:57 AM#74
Originally posted by lordwedgely
Originally posted by Charlizzard

The game could be good but that guy the OP is referencing is grossly exaggerating.

Ba da bing! good breakdown of combat Charlizzard. the telegraphing of specials by mobs pretty comical. jump behind and start the sequence again. forgot to add, good breakdown of the whole "deep thought" thing

i'm surprised more have not noticed how much of this game is lifted directly from anarchy online. except anarchy online is better, this game is anarchy online two but funcom totally fumbled delivery. definitely not ready for prime time, i really hope they decide to push it back.

So i take it that they are rushing another out the door, to recup cost with Box sales.....  If thats the case, then thats STRIKE 2 against them for me.. 1 more chance to srew up and if they do, no more looking there way..

Cryptic screwed STO @ launch but since going FTP and relaunching, its much better now... So hopefully these guys can learn..

Method01

Novice Member

5/12/12 2:57:04 AM#75
Originally posted by DaSpack

Ok the title of the thread is a statement from Gamer Wolff Bachner in the Inquisitr. Good read and he is deffinitely a fan. According to him TSW is a game changer... As in all MMOs will be different after TSW. Check it out.

'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

'I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. If you are a gamer, you want to play The Secret World'.

http://www.inquisitr.com/233552/the-hottest-mmorpgs-to-play-this-summer-the-secret-world/#ZTcMKqZ4IUvQTjk7.99

Think some of the same words was said about AoC. We all know how that went.

Personally i would never buy any games by Funcom, unless it's shows to be superior. I don't have faith in Funcom making a good mmo with a good release. I just don't think it will happen. I hope it will though, because we really need something new like the horror theme in TSW. 

I recommend ppl not to get too high expectations because you might get disappointed. 

Cane

Novice Member

5/12/12 10:34:15 AM#76

lol at this game being original. The only thing original is the setting and thats where it ends. Also the combat is absolute garbage, the questing is tedious because of retarded limitations forcing you to do one quest at a time, 2012 and no voice acting for your character ROFL!, NO mocap and stupid animations, blatant lies like the one about not being able to gauge enemy difficulty except for the looks ( HP anyone? Also a lot of dangerous looking mobs are piss easy), lame equipment system not even changing your looks.

Nah this game is bad which is a shame because it could have been great. Guess I'm gonna have to keep waiting for WoD for a good MMO in a unique setting.

Bjelar

Novice Member

5/12/12 10:39:03 AM#77
Originally posted by Cane

lol at this game being original. The only thing original is the setting and thats where it ends. Also the combat is absolute garbage, the questing is tedious because of retarded limitations forcing you to do one quest at a time, 2012 and no voice acting for your character ROFL!, NO mocap and stupid animations, blatant lies like the one about not being able to gauge enemy difficulty except for the looks ( HP anyone? Also a lot of dangerous looking mobs are piss easy), lame equipment system not even changing your looks.

Nah this game is bad which is a shame because it could have been great. Guess I'm gonna have to keep waiting for WoD for a good MMO in a unique setting.

Your first sentence shows you are not getting it at all. You play TSW like you play every other MMO out there, and it doesn't feel right. That's because you don't get it.

Then you go on calling everything garbage because it is different and original. Ironic.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/12/12 10:49:59 AM#78
I like having no voice for my character, annoyed the hell out of me in Swtor, I'm from yorkshire not bloody texas.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/12/12 11:15:48 AM#79
I think most complex mmo is being silly

For a themepark perhaps

But compared to the likes of eve, lol no way.
  Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

5/12/12 11:24:50 AM#80

The game does have some originality but I don't think it has more complexity than other MMOs. I believe their story telling is original and the game has a specific "feel" to it that makes it original to me.

My biggest gripes with the game are the atmosphere and the fact that if feels like a single player RPG. Ive read some initial impressions of folks saying the game feels very detailed and "alive". To me it felt like walking around a wax museum with some background music and sounds. NPCs felt very static and they didn't do much and the world felt really staged and definately not "alive". 

The other problem was the fact that I saw no reason to group up and like many MMOs released folk just run around doing their own thing and you prefer to be alone at a quest location rather than having someone else killing the mobs you have to kill.

Pluses were the cutscenes and story overall, way better than TOR for me. The skill wheel was pretty cool and combat was ok but the animations need a lot of work and it felt a bit uninspired. I also like the fact that there isn't really something that feels like a quest hub, at least they disguise it better.

Overall I was pleseantly surprised, but I doubt I would pay a sub for it. Rather, I would like to buy the box like a single player RPG.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search