Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,364 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,014
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
143 posts found
  AZHokie54

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 10:12:49 PM#41

You guys can say whatever the hell you want, the bottom line is it's still Funcom. You know, fool me once (AO) shame on you, fool me twice (AoC), shame on me. There won't be a third time.

Not touching this game with a ten foot pole for at least six months.

Shaike

Novice Member

At first there were games, then MMOs, then MMORPGs then I understood I had no life :-)

5/10/12 10:15:22 PM#42
Originally posted by AZHokie54

You guys can say whatever the hell you want, the bottom line is it's still Funcom. You know, fool me once (AO) shame on you, fool me twice (AoC), shame on me. There won't be a third time.

+1

Just my 2 cents...

eycel

Novice Member

pew pew

5/10/12 10:20:14 PM#43
Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by helthros
I've graduated past buying into hype or reviews. I would like to check it out for myself to make my own opinions.

Open skill system could be cool. I've seen a few videos and the combat animations left something to be desired though.

I agree! I too have evolved waaaaay past trusting reviews, I also agree about the animations... Maybe they'll improve, maybe not.

I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes F2P in under a year.

I definitely just don't see it as "revolutionary". The skills system with the few active skills "loaded" just reminds me of a console game!

Its going to be more then a niche, the game has a lot more content to consume then other mmos.  One of the things it does is it forces you to slow down and not rush through content.  Theres not just one type of quest in TSW, theres spy/stealth/covert quests,investigation quests which are extremely fun(basically you have to know the surroundings ane be able to connect the dots with real life hints using search engine),story quests, theres alot to do in TSW quest wise and its inovative enough to be something different in a good way.

It also has a beautifull day/night cycle which is nice coming from swtor.

Here are the diff quests you can take in TSW.

Red box with running icon - Active
Yellow box with explosives - Sabotage
Green box with computer - Investigation
Purple box with a thingy - Dungeon
Blue box - Story
Dark green box with a box in it - Item

p_c_sousa

Novice Member

5/10/12 10:27:25 PM#44

i dont know anything about this MMORPG, so i will enter tomorrow on beta and see if i get a nice surprise. xD

pierth

Novice Member

5/10/12 10:28:28 PM#45
Originally posted by Shaike
Originally posted by AZHokie54

+1

It can only improve in that amount of time. I refuse to play any MMO until at least two months after launch because we all know that these games aren't in their best state at release. The only reason I can see jumping into an MMO at launch is if you are the type of gamer that has to be the first to do something, have zero self control (i.e. "ZOMG it's out NOW! I HAVE to play!"), or enjoy exploiting bugs and unintended game mechanics for absurdly fast progression (because these days there are no repercussions).

doragon86

Apprentice Member

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

5/10/12 10:28:29 PM#46
Originally posted by TheSedated

@Doragon:

"Reasoning will come later during the weekend. All I can say for now is be very skpetical."

Why wait for later during the weekend? This implies either you're in the closed beta and going to talk about the things you know from there, but just using examples that can be seen in the Weekend Beta. Would be okay for me if you stay kind of constructive.

If you think "this game is crap" already and you'll use what you see in the beta weekend to build your argument around this impression, then I'm really sorry for you, because that wouldn't speak for the game being bad, it would tell me you're not a very smart and open-minded person.

Whoa there. Relax... I'm not one to talk out of my ass. With every game.... every game, I'm skeptical. I approach the game open-minded, but always with skepticism. Even if it’s a developer I’m not fond of (*grumbles* upgraded my PC to play AoC). I recommend that everyone does the same, and not be a blind to the negatives of their beloved game. However, in my opinion based on my own experiences, the article doesn’t accurately portray the game, and the game is lacking. "But the game is in beta" That means very little especially with a game whose release date is about a month away. "But features are disabled" Sure they are... However, take my words with a grain of salt. Mess around in beta, provide feedback, and form your own opinion. The game in it’s current state may appeal to you. However, it does not appeal to me.

Why wait for later in the weekend? I respect NDAs. That’s it. Despite that I broke it a bit here, just to show you where I’m coming from. Are you happy now? Is that constructive enough?

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
~Lord George Gordon Byron

Clerigo

Apprentice Member

Healing Over Time since 2004

5/10/12 10:28:57 PM#47

I tell you what, ill play TSW when Funcom gives back the 70€ i payed for the Age of Conan Col. Edt.

I will then repay 25€ back for the 4 months i had fun after they finally fixed the game to a playable point.

If whats left is enough to buy TSW, count me in.

Camthylion

Novice Member

5/11/12 12:21:51 AM#48
Originally posted by Clerigo

I tell you what, ill play TSW when Funcom gives back the 70€ i payed for the Age of Conan Col. Edt.

I will then repay 25€ back for the 4 months i had fun after they finally fixed the game to a playable point.

If whats left is enough to buy TSW, count me in.

Nope you won't... after trying it over the weekend.. All I will say is AoC is a better game.  This game stinks, sure its BETA, but I looked passed the bugs it just everything they're trying to do in this game is poorly done.  I will not pay for this game, and wouldn't play it often enough if it was F2P.

Valua

Apprentice Member

5/11/12 2:38:19 AM#49
Originally posted by GreenHell

All MMO's will not be different as a result of TSW launching. It is a different kind of game and a lot of people will not like it.  I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I would say it goes F2P in under a year.

That being said I enjoy the game. It is different enough to keep me interested for awhile. I will probably buy it when it comes out.

If Star Wars Galaxies and Vanguard could stay P2P for so long then this game can too.

SWG and Vanguard were/are niche games too, both had very small player bases, as in less than 300k players each (Vanguard has less than 10k) but they stayed P2P.

I can see this game selling 1.5 - 3 million copies in the first year, like every other big MMO will, but I can also see it retaining at least 1 million for at least the first two years. 

This game is polished, different and can be played alongside GW2. Or at least that's what I'm doing, GW2 PvE lacks compared to the Secret Worlds, the Secret Worlds PvP lacks compared to GW2, so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Isawa

Novice Member

5/11/12 2:59:51 AM#50

This game actually requires me to think in order to solve quests :) That is about all I'll say for now.

osiriszoran

Novice Member

5/11/12 5:38:49 AM#51

will see in 5.5 hours. All i know is i dont trust Funcom.

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

5/11/12 5:50:38 AM#52

Still people bash funcom i dont get it..

They have 2 of the best themepark mmorpgs no the market at the moment with a third that also looks just as good coming soon.. Sure AO and AOC didnt have the best starts but i played both from the start and had an awesome time in both games..

Dont play them anymore as ive moved onto other things but they did take up a few years of my mmo life LOL..

I am looking forward to this and trust funcom.. now i dont expect the mechanics of the game to be somthing totally new, infact i expect it to play very similar to other Themepark games.. exactly like GW2 does.. but i know TSW will bring a few nice new things like GW2 does.. what makes TSW stand out from the rest  even including GW2 for me anyway is the world setting.. its somthing new and fresh and cant wait until later today to test it out..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

xenogias

Advanced Member

5/11/12 5:56:10 AM#53
Originally posted by DaSpack

'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

All I need to see is that statement. So he started his MMO career with WOW. I'm not going to diss WOW here but if all he has seen is button rotations he clearly hasnt played any of the oldschool MMO's or EVE. Because of that his opinion on what is origional and complex means squat to me.

xenogias

Advanced Member

5/11/12 5:59:09 AM#54
Originally posted by Caldrin

How many times do we have to tell you why we bash them before you "get it"? You may not agree with us but to say you "dont get it" is just ignoring what everyone has told you. I for one will never trust them again after they flat out LIED about what AoC had at launch and how poorly both of thier other MMO's has everything to do with why people dont trust them/bash them.

Like I said, you can disagree but to say you "dont get it" just says you completely ignore what people tell you and refuse to accept thier opinion.

P.S To accept a persons opinion is not the same thing as agreeing with them.

Teilo

Apprentice Member

5/11/12 5:59:35 AM#55
Originally posted by xenogias
Originally posted by DaSpack

'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

All I need to see is that statement. So he started his MMO career with WOW. I'm not going to diss WOW here but if all he has seen is button rotations he clearly hasnt played any of the oldschool MMO's or EVE. Because of that his opinion on what is origional and complex means squat to me.

"This writer has been gaming since 1975 when we played Colossal Cave Adventure on a DEC PDP-10 mainframe at my university."

Sounds like he's played more than WoW...

Skuz

Advanced Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

5/11/12 6:10:14 AM#56

Pre-ordered & will see how the beta weekends are before I wade in with any concrete opinions.

My pre-play impressions are very favorable but I will be keeping an open mind, all MMO's have faults & problems, for me it will matter more if the game is engaging & convincing.

User Deleted
5/11/12 6:10:15 AM#57

FUncom is not honest.  They lied in AO.  They sold features for expansions on the box that took months to make it in game.  They pushed poor code/untested code and known bugs to live.  Still paying your AO sub?  Still expecting that new engine?  Profession Rebalance?  Any of the other laundry list?  Yeah, they're working on things still.  But, who couldn't get things done in the time frame they've taken.  Not even Blizz's "Soon." is 1/10 the time as FUncom's.

Do I even need to talk about AoC's very public disgraces?

What FUncom does well, is awesome.  What FUncom does poorly is on a scale that can't even be measured with known instruments.  Do I think TSW has some good ideas(though not truly original)?  Yes.  Do I have any faith that FUncom can pull off the full game experience?  No.

User Deleted
5/11/12 6:33:20 AM#58

Most original and complex MMORPG he has ever played?

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

5/11/12 6:50:21 AM#59
Originally posted by xenogias
Originally posted by Caldrin

How many times do we have to tell you why we bash them before you "get it"? You may not agree with us but to say you "dont get it" is just ignoring what everyone has told you. I for one will never trust them again after they flat out LIED about what AoC had at launch and how poorly both of thier other MMO's has everything to do with why people dont trust them/bash them.

Like I said, you can disagree but to say you "dont get it" just says you completely ignore what people tell you and refuse to accept thier opinion.

P.S To accept a persons opinion is not the same thing as agreeing with them.

Your right m8 .. sorry :) sometiems i just go off typing without thinking too much..

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

Valua

Apprentice Member

5/11/12 6:59:12 AM#60
Originally posted by skydiver12

Most original and complex MMORPG he has ever played?

Name a more complex themepark game? I dare you.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search