Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft | Albion Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,096 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,336
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
143 posts found
  Mahavishnu

Advanced Member

5/10/12 8:56:26 PM#21

Hmmm,

sadly he does not say what this games makes so original. I am a little suspicious. I mean, we have already so much information on GW2, so many videos on all aspects of the game. However, when it comes to TSW, there is little known yet.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Aerowyn

Novice Member

5/10/12 8:59:39 PM#22
Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Hmmm,

sadly he does not say what this games makes so original. I am a little suspicious. I mean, we have already so much information on GW2, so many videos on all aspects of the game. However, when it comes to TSW, there is little known yet.

because GW2 has no NDA and TSW still does..... until tommorow that is:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

SoulOfRaziel

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 9:01:32 PM#23

i think TSW level progression is really different and cool but the one thing that bothered me was the combat... every video i saw the combat just looked to be kinda slow or without action....

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

It's a combination of Nightingale Armor with the Mod Truebound Deadric Armors

5/10/12 9:04:53 PM#24

The game will be worth it for some, for others it will be a disappointment. It's not a bad game at all. But it's not going to rock your world. The combat and action isn't bad, nothing new, but it's adequate. The game's true draw is it's theme and story. I am still on the fence about purchasing.

Recently started playing SWTOR. I am posting updates to my experience in this thread:
SWTOR Experience

Aerowyn

Novice Member

5/10/12 9:08:45 PM#25
Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The game will be worth it for some, for others it will be a disappointment. It's not a bad game at all. But it's not going to rock your world. The combat and action isn't bad, nothing new, but it's adequate. The game's true draw is it's theme and story. I am still on the fence about purchasing.

pretty much how I feel.. on top of theme and story is the skill system of course... just can't get myself to play another game that sticks you into a single role. For me doesn't matter how great the combat system may be IE Tera.. after playing the same class using the exact same skills over and over and over just gets old.. having the open no class system just adds so much in my opinion

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Aerowyn

Novice Member

5/10/12 9:10:05 PM#26
Originally posted by hikaru77

[Mod Edit]

heh well after playing both I still enjoy GW2 more but strongly considering keeping TSW sub as a second game to play when I want a break from the fantasy setting.

Tuchaka

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 9:13:17 PM#27

They were writting nice articles about AoC before and during the launch and it was winning awards right in the middle of a mass exodus of players toward exit stage left.  

pierth

Novice Member

5/10/12 9:13:17 PM#28

Seems like a wonderful year for MMOGs- quality choices for players that have different priorities/desires regarding setting, types of combat, PvE or PvP emphasis; it's just a shame there are so many that want to epeen and white knight for the games they prefer.

User Deleted
5/10/12 9:16:25 PM#29
Originally posted by TheSedated
Originally posted by sibs4455
LMAO:

Joined 4/12, just in time to post good things about TSW, and best yet his/her friends and family are in Beta too. They too like it so much that they preordered.

I think he has as much credibility like all the guys who played the beta and think the game is totally shit and no one should ever play it because it's [insert favourite insult used for an upcoming MMO here].

@Doragon:

"Reasoning will come later during the weekend. All I can say for now is be very skpetical."

Why wait for later during the weekend? This implies either you're in the closed beta and going to talk about the things you know from there, but just using examples that can be seen in the Weekend Beta. Would be okay for me if you stay kind of constructive.

If you think "this game is crap" already and you'll use what you see in the beta weekend to build your argument around this impression, then I'm really sorry for you, because that wouldn't speak for the game being bad, it would tell me you're not a very smart and open-minded person.

jdnyc

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 9:19:30 PM#30
Originally posted by Aerowyn

heh well after playing both I still enjoy GW2 more but strongly considering keeping TSW sub as a second game to play when I want a break from the fantasy setting.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!11

LOL no seriously.

There is no reason for fans of one game to attack another.  My guild is sponsoring both games and excited about both A LOT.

Seriously guys.  Both GW2 and TSW are attempting to do things outside of the box.  They should both be championed.

Tuchaka

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 9:22:41 PM#31

I'm not looking for TSW to do badly i am just very cautious about funcom and taking a wait and see attitude personally my money is on GW2, but if TSW does great good bettter for the MMO market in general over 80% of the mmo's out there are crap anyway and that is being kind.

Fadedbomb

Spotlight Poster

5/10/12 9:25:24 PM#32
Originally posted by DaSpack

Ok the title of the thread is a statement from Gamer Wolff Bachner in the Inquisitr. Good read and he is deffinitely a fan. According to him TSW is a game changer... As in all MMOs will be different after TSW. Check it out.

'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

'I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. If you are a gamer, you want to play The Secret World'.

http://www.inquisitr.com/233552/the-hottest-mmorpgs-to-play-this-summer-the-secret-world/#ZTcMKqZ4IUvQTjk7.99

This "Gamer Wolff Bachner" guy is a Funcom paid employee. 

Short and simple, he's over-reaching completely from what I've experienced.

A preview from me will follow the drop of the NDA :), and not a meager ~15hrs, but something akin to 90 or so :D!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Kazuhiro

Apprentice Member

5/10/12 9:29:39 PM#33

I've yet to play te game, (Will get to in the morning.)  but honestly my expectations are quite low for the game. The main draw for me is the setting, so few... err... well hell there actually arn't ANY other modern day themed mmos, so thats a big one. And I like the art so far.

However I do expect the combat to suck as badly as most other mmos. And I can assume there will be the old "fetch 10 mythical goat tails" quests that will put me to sleep faster than pills ever could. But it's mostly assumtions for now. find out shortly if it's something to look forward to, or just another pile of crap to wipe from my harddrive and favorites list.

JeroKane: In TSW your gear has NO stats whatsoever! But only via trinkets and talismans.

Myself: Please, stop posting, I can't breath I'm laughing so hard at that statement.

TheSedated

Novice Member

5/10/12 9:32:35 PM#34
Originally posted by Fadedbomb

This "Gamer Wolff Bachner" guy is a Funcom paid employee. 

Where did you get that from? I just found information on him being a journalist.

eycel

Novice Member

pew pew

5/10/12 9:33:36 PM#35

All I can say is that before May 8th there was only one game on my mind GW2, but after I wouldnt think twice about getting TSW before GW2, that is all...

I would say also that the OP isnt all that far off in his thoughts considering the monster mash of mmos we have been put through, or linear questing.  MMO's  as a genre progress in small advances, in small degrees and I think TSW pushes what we know as mmos just a bit further. 

From what I can tell, I think after the open beta, there is going to be a good majority of the player base excited for the game to release, the younger audience will like it also but it will be a mixed bag for them.  Alot of the quests are overly complex, and for a teen spending 10-15 hours on one quest is not going to fly with them and thats entirely possible given the way some of it is set up.  I would put the game at a maybee 80/20 ratio of casual like/dislike, and a solid 60/40% of buy/notbuy, since not everyone can get what they want even if they do like it.

I may be blowing my horn to loud though, Im all about horror and this game obviously caters to me so my liking for the game  may be somewhat tainted, who knows though Im sure people will find it refreshing even if there not horror fans cause of the great ambience and atmosphere it gives you, but not just that it has story and fantastic visuals and gameplay to go along with it, its definitely a AAA mmo with AAA quality all around. 

I cant really talk about the build quality yet cause of the NDA but I will say people arnt going to be near as forgiving as me when it comes to overall smoothness of the entire package and I think that is going to play a negative role on a lot of those 40% of people that dont like or wont buy it that I mentioned above.

Also dont let the older engine fool you which is the same one used in AoC, your not going to be playing this game with your new Ivy bridge HD4000 integrated graphics processors and get away with it. 

TheSedated

Novice Member

5/10/12 9:50:06 PM#36

*lol* Eycel, every time I hit refresh, you're post has grown larger. You... you... edit whore, you! :)

eycel

Novice Member

pew pew

5/10/12 9:56:18 PM#37
Originally posted by TheSedated

*lol* Eycel, every time I hit refresh, you're post has grown larger. You... you... edit whore, you! :)

I know I just keep going and going when I feel inspired.

saker

Elite Member

Make a WORLD,
Not a Game.

5/10/12 9:59:09 PM#38

Originally posted by helthros
I've graduated past buying into hype or reviews. I would like to check it out for myself to make my own opinions.

Open skill system could be cool. I've seen a few videos and the combat animations left something to be desired though.

I agree! I too have evolved waaaaay past trusting reviews, I also agree about the animations... Maybe they'll improve, maybe not.

I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes F2P in under a year.

I definitely just don't see it as "revolutionary". The skills system with the few active skills "loaded" just reminds me of a console game!

elocke

Spotlight Poster

5/10/12 10:07:46 PM#39

All I know is, I got invited to closed beta and haven't been able to play anything else.  Even GW2 has hit my back burner, although I'll still be playing it just as much.  I'm just glad to finally have 2 GREAT MMORPGs to play after all these years.

Tomorrow I get to explain why, Yay!

http://www.twitch.tv/elockethemmoaddict

https://twitter.com/MMOAddicted

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

It's a combination of Nightingale Armor with the Mod Truebound Deadric Armors

5/10/12 10:07:58 PM#40

Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by helthros
I've graduated past buying into hype or reviews. I would like to check it out for myself to make my own opinions.

Open skill system could be cool. I've seen a few videos and the combat animations left something to be desired though.

I agree! I too have evolved waaaaay past trusting reviews, I also agree about the animations... Maybe they'll improve, maybe not.

I really dont see this title being more than a niche in the genre and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes F2P in under a year.

I definitely just don't see it as "revolutionary". The skills system with the few active skills "loaded" just reminds me of a console game!

The skill system feels a lot like SWG but you can switch out easier

Recently started playing SWTOR. I am posting updates to my experience in this thread:
SWTOR Experience

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search