Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,288 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,870
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » $29.99? Wasn't this game a flop?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
77 posts found
  STYNKFYST

Novice Member

7/22/14 3:12:56 AM#61
Originally posted by Mirasta
Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
Originally posted by TheHavok

I thought TSW was a pretty cool game.  It had some of the best quests i've experienced in an mmorpg.  I wouldn't consider it a flop at all!

It doesn't matter what you consider it, Funcom and everyone else wrote it off as a flop. Mainly because it's not a proper MMO but they charged MMO price for it.

No proper MMO?! What are u missing?^^ It has everything other MMOs have as well including nice dungeons, raids, best quest chains ever and many, many players.

^This

It was only ever posted or listed as a flop here...just like everything else.

Haralin

Novice Member

7/22/14 3:28:24 AM#62

THe game has very good Quests but the worst combat system in history (ok that was a bit harsh :D).

The combat system prevented me to go on in this game.

Br3akingDawn

Apprentice Member

7/22/14 3:33:53 AM#63
Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-the-secret-world-298#pc

I see it for as low as $9.43.

I bought a copy for a friend in 2012 for $15.

How are these sites. Never bought before from them, are they safe? >>

Neobloodline3d

Novice Member

7/22/14 3:44:37 AM#64
Originally posted by STYNKFYST
Originally posted by Mirasta
Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
Originally posted by TheHavok

I thought TSW was a pretty cool game.  It had some of the best quests i've experienced in an mmorpg.  I wouldn't consider it a flop at all!

It doesn't matter what you consider it, Funcom and everyone else wrote it off as a flop. Mainly because it's not a proper MMO but they charged MMO price for it.

No proper MMO?! What are u missing?^^ It has everything other MMOs have as well including nice dungeons, raids, best quest chains ever and many, many players.

^This

It was only ever posted or listed as a flop here...just like everything else.

This.  The game is one of the best MMO's ever made.  You won't find a more immersive experience which is the point of playing MMO's isn't it?  You can't play the same game day in day out and not get bored of it though and usually when I hit that point it's because of the crafting.  Although it's extremely deep I don't find it fun.  It's more like work.  The games atmosphere more than makes up for the lackluster crafting experience though.

Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

7/22/14 4:42:45 AM#65
Originally posted by DocBrody

the only Flop is this thread.

TSW is the best MMO ever made

Lets keep it modest, its a very fun game very much worth the money, for those people that like to get involved in awesome modern time stories, the game is actually a must play...

personally i could really enjoy the gameworld despite the fact that i tought the actuall combat was medicore at best

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

eviceus

Apprentice Member

7/22/14 9:44:01 AM#66
Originally posted by Haralin

THe game has very good Quests but the worst combat system in history (ok that was a bit harsh :D).

I feel many people starting with this game feel this way simply because their choices at the start are extremely limited

(since at start you know very low number of active abilities).

This however changes completely as you progress and the ability system is actualy one of the most complex around.

Maybe Funcom should consider giving beginner players bigger AP (ability point) pool at the start so they can get little  more variety from get-go.

But seriously, filling the basic abilities for your first two weapons shouldnt take more then maybe 10 hours of gameplay..

Ortwig

Hard Core Member

7/22/14 5:12:59 PM#67
Originally posted by eviceus
Originally posted by Haralin

I feel many people starting with this game feel this way simply because their choices at the start are extremely limited

(since at start you know very low number of active abilities).

This however changes completely as you progress and the ability system is actualy one of the most complex around.

Maybe Funcom should consider giving beginner players bigger AP (ability point) pool at the start so they can get little  more variety from get-go.

But seriously, filling the basic abilities for your first two weapons shouldnt take more then maybe 10 hours of gameplay..

Hmm, I think you may on something here.  At least initially, you are picking only a few abilities to add to the deck and probably aren't doing a heck of a lot with synergy, especially if you aren't using any of the pre-made decks or following any of the deck building advice.  It's very easy to just end up spamming a bunch of (or one or two?) random abilities without understanding how they work together.  

My guess is that frustration sets in before players get a chance to see everything playing together nicely.  It's also VERY easy to think you need only one weapon, since you leave the training HQ with only one.  Better tutorials or guidance at the outset would be useful, and Funcom has shown some interest in doing more of that.

User Deleted
7/27/14 11:29:38 AM#68

$30 a high barrier? Sounds like a personal problem.

vveaver

Advanced Member

To weave the fabric of space and time into one life through the games we play!

7/27/14 11:38:25 AM#69
According to my own personal taste TSW remains one of the best story driven games ever made, absolutely worth much more then a measly 30$, I bought the grandmaster pack at launch and never once have I regretted that choice!
  Xblade724

Novice Member

Darkness lies in wait only for those who refuse to walk amongst the unknown

7/27/14 11:45:40 AM#70
This game is incredible -- I started playing it again now since it's f2p (already bought the game). Some of the most unique quests in my life. It's very dynamic and draws you in. 

---------------------------
Former EQ1 Rallos Zek (PvP)
Ascendant Chronei Immortal of Rallos Zek
(Now @ Prexus)

Oberholzer

Apprentice Member

7/27/14 11:46:43 AM#71
The OP just seems to be another case of "I heard this game sucks.....but I'll play if it's free" which never makes sense to me. If you think a game isn't worth it then why play even if it's free.
  Foobarx

Apprentice Member

7/27/14 11:51:57 AM#72
Originally posted by Oberholzer
The OP just seems to be another case of "I heard this game sucks.....but I'll play if it's free" which never makes sense to me. If you think a game isn't worth it then why play even if it's free.

Simply put... boredom... but not so bored as to shell out money to break that boredom.

PioneerStew

Apprentice Member

7/27/14 11:52:05 AM#73

Because you might end up liking it against your expectations. 

I am the opposite.  I bought the game at release fully expecting to enjoy it; and I did enjoy almost everything about it except the god-awful combat.  Unfortunately that killed it for me.    

CasualMaker

Advanced Member

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

7/29/14 10:00:32 AM#74
Originally posted by PioneerStew

Because you might end up liking it against your expectations. 

I am the opposite.  I bought the game at release fully expecting to enjoy it; and I did enjoy almost everything about it except the god-awful combat.  Unfortunately that killed it for me.    

Having played EverQuest, I just can't see the complaints about "god-awful combat" in TSW... In either case, I'm here for the great storyline, not piddling side issues.

Fingz

Novice Member

7/29/14 12:16:28 PM#75
Some people really like tSW.  I would try it for yourself, it might just be what you're looking for.
  Thillian

Hard Core Member

8/04/14 6:15:44 AM#76

The combat is among the strongest features of the game. People say its dull and slow, because they did not fully realize the potential of their build.

The combat is extremely fast and deadly requiring high mobility, but can be extremely slow and safe as well, if you make it that way. If you choose +mitigation abilities and gear, your lack of DPS and high survivability can make it look like the combat is dull. However, switch to full DPS gear and youll be a glass cannon. 

REALITY CHECK

fathamburger

Novice Member

8/04/14 6:19:08 AM#77

I thought the combat sucked ass too but kept going because of the story. The early game experience is terrible. Too many mobs, easy to aggro with awful floaty combat and useless beginner skills. 

However once you start making some progress into the game and open up more of the "outer wheel" it all starts to click, other than solo questing experience which is still grindy and horrible but you can also get gear that will eventually make that a thing of the past

Basically every early game issue can be fixed by the game eventually but the early experience is one they need to fix. I almost didn't make it through myself if I didnt find the world, story and especially the investigation missions so compelling. My initial goal after my first bad impression was to only play it long enough to experience an investigation mission. Then another one, then I started admiring how everything in their levels had a place, meaning and reason that might not be apparenty until you hit the quest for it. 

Then I ended up beating the game :) and thinking well its not so bad after all lol. Now because of the deck system, its the only game that keeps me long after I've level capped out and seen the content of other games.

For $30 I sure as hell got far than 40 hours out of the core story alone so yes Its worth it

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search