Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,217 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,155
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Do you consider the Issues and mission packs to be too expensive .

11 posts found
  greatskys

Advanced Member

OP  7/08/14 7:15:05 AM#1
I think the Secret World is hands down the best mmo I have ever played in terms of the variety and creativity of the quests available and I think the buy to play content (the original game and issues 1-5 included )was well worth it . However I'm recently seeing complaints in the game about the price of the mission packs and what they offer in terms of content . Also I have seem similar comments about the recent Tokyo issue and while I sympathize they have to make their money somehow . I am wondering if they are starting to put out too little content for too much money . I havn't actually played any of this content yet so I can't comment on it one way or another . But I would be interested in hearing what people think . 
  Malathoos

Advanced Member

7/08/14 8:16:29 AM#2

I love this game, but i agree the amount of content they are putting out is disappointing. Tokyo was delayed how many times? there hasnt really been much progression of the story. So much potential not being used.

O well ill have to keep playing with what we have

Po_gg

Elite Member

7/08/14 9:37:13 AM#3
Originally posted by greatskys
But I would be interested in hearing what people think . 

Actually it's two-fold, imo. For the thread question, nope. I don't think it's expensive. 9-10ish dollars once in every 3-4 months, or getting it free if you're a Member, I think a fine and fair price for the Issues, regardless of their content.

The other part, which is unrelated to pricing, is exactly that, the content in them. And I can see why are there concerns and voices in that matter. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but for example the Scenarios grind was the same to me as the Khitai faction grind in AoC: just no, thanks. (btw. love that game too)

And yep, Tokyo seems a bit unfinished, not to mention that while the Aegis sounds just as cool as the Augments did, in the end it's also just a huge grind. I'd rather have more lore, more missions, more NPCs, etc. than a new grind. I'd rather pay $20 for such an Issue easily :)

Malathoos

Advanced Member

7/08/14 9:51:44 AM#4
And Aegis is only good for Tokyo. There just really isnt much to do in the game other than grind. If your not already experianced and geared its very difficult to find a nightmare group to get better gear also. I just wish there were more things to do in game. I agree i would pay more for content that had more depth.

hehenep

Apprentice Member

7/08/14 1:27:32 PM#5
Originally posted by Malathoos
And Aegis is only good for Tokyo. 

So far.

Anyway, I'm fine with the price of the issues. I mean $10 is about the price of a movie ticket or a book, give or take anyway, and it offers a similar chunk of entertainment. My issue in pricing is with the sidestories. They offer less stuff to do for the same price, and while I know they offer a somewhat more attractive in-game rewards for the pack's completion achievement it just seems like they should be more around $8 than anything else.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

7/08/14 3:32:20 PM#6
Originally posted by hehenep
And Aegis is only good for Tokyo. 

So far.

Anyway, I'm fine with the price of the issues. I mean $10 is about the price of a movie ticket or a book, give or take anyway, and it offers a similar chunk of entertainment. My issue in pricing is with the sidestories. They offer less stuff to do for the same price, and while I know they offer a somewhat more attractive in-game rewards for the pack's completion achievement it just seems like they should be more around $8 than anything else.

I also don't think $10 is too much for an issue, if the issue is quality. Like it was said above more quests and stories, less grind. This is one game where the quests don't feel like quests. They are done really well. I would like to see more of that rather than grinds.

The other problem I have, as you point out, is the cost of the side-quests and how they work. Not only do they cost a lot for what they deliver, you have to own the associated issue. If you buy an issue then all the quests should be included. Charge $5 more for an issue if need be.

Curse you AquaScum!

Robsolf

Hard Core Member

Let go of my ears, I know what I'm doing!

7/08/14 4:00:39 PM#7

I don't think the issues are too expensive from most standpoints; many games require 15 bucks a month while often giving you zero additional content.  Though, on the other hand some FTP games like Neverwinter put out a small bit of every few weeks for free. 

I think TSW puts out more "artful" content than either of those examples.  IMO, it tends to feel "more special" than content updates from many other games I've played.

But in the end, they don't put enough content out to keep me playing the game.  And if I'm not playing regularly, then I tend to lose interest. 

I haven't bought the last issue largely because I know it's going to be a few hours of great fun mixed with frustration, in the end signifying nothing because then I'll go back to not logging in again until the next issue arrives.  And it seems like a waste to spend ANY money on something like that.

Axeion

Novice Member

7/14/14 10:31:57 AM#8
Costumes sets an bits might feel bit high to me. But the Issues an side stories seem fine to me . Then again I have life time sub an I will still spend some coin every now an again to support the game.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

fathamburger

Novice Member

8/14/14 7:32:27 AM#9

I think paying 10 bucks and then essentially almost another 10 bucks for sidestories for each pack is a bit much.

They should offer a $15 package deal or all in one for subbers who have to deal with the uncertainty of no guaranteed content releases every month.

Other than that I love the world and story and am happy to keep paying for them to expand it.

sumdumguy1

Hard Core Member

8/14/14 7:40:05 AM#10
And Aegis is only good for Tokyo. There just really isnt much to do in the game other than grind. If your not already experianced and geared its very difficult to find a nightmare group to get better gear also. I just wish there were more things to do in game. I agree i would pay more for content that had more depth.

To me this is an issue.  I came back to the game and has issues with this trying to gear up.  People don't want to run nightmare.  It got to the point, even with a cabal, that I stopped playing for awhile.  Now I really like this game and do come and go but I found this very different from my first time around.  As for the issues and new content, its hard to run it when you feel you are not geared.   I have also heard the depth of the content is an issue from many people I have played with.

fathamburger

Novice Member

8/14/14 11:46:21 AM#11

Tokyo was a disappointment in content depth no doubt, but it was still about 10-20 hours of singleplayer expansion that I'm happy for.

People may be confusing these DLCs that are meant to give you something new to do for a weekend or so with a fully fledged expansion pack.

TSW is in an unfortunate position where the content is very high cost and time consuming to create relative to how long players will actually spend playing it and how much retention that work will get out of the players. For me I dont care so much about playing it over and over or getting my "money's worth" but I'm happy just to see more of it and aside from NM grinding, I'd be happy to only stop back in once a month to get a new fix of content.