Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,735 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,229
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Is This Game Buy To Play Or Store Is A Must?

15 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  7/05/14 2:27:14 PM#1
I see that The Secret World website states: "PAY ONCE. PLAY FOREVER.*

SUBSCRIPTION IS NO LONGER REQUIRED." not longer required means it's optional I guess.

If I decide to buy it will I be able to experience the game fully or store will get in my way like free to play games? 

Can you play the storyline without paying more the the $29.99 or you have to buy other extra stuff or have to sub once or whatever like other games do?

Last question is how popular is the game if I ever need a group for certain mission/quest does it take long to find people?

These questions are for The Secret World players and not for arguments so please respond if you actually play the game, thanks in advance.

lalartu

Apprentice Member

7/05/14 2:30:20 PM#2

It's buy to play. store is optional and cosmetic only.

I played this a few months ago and there were plenty of people. The only reason I stopped was because of the combat mechanics, but the storyline and the entire atmosphere in the game is epic. Best storyline based MMO I think

my Gaming Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/lalartu

Join me on Twitter @WhatDaMath
http://twitter.com/WhatDaMath
I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Rylah

Advanced Member

7/05/14 2:36:19 PM#3

You can play the original storyline and all updates up to Issue #5 with your purchase. The later issues are DLCs and bought in the shop. If you "subscribe" you get more than enough points for that included in the package.

Each issue after #5 is roughly €/$ 10,- and there is an additional mission pack with investigation missions.

It is more than worth it. . Both the single player and the group content. Only the PvP is..... very much open for improvement.

Edit: Played it at start and now on and off when my mood gets Lovecraftian or when new conten is published.

User Deleted

OP  7/05/14 2:43:20 PM#4
Thanks for the replays I'll get it today and see how it goes if I like it a lot then my consider sub or getting the dlc packs.
  Rylah

Advanced Member

7/05/14 2:45:53 PM#5
Wish you as much fun as I had. And just a tip: Don't rush it. Take your time and read the little story bits. Unlike most other games in this one it is actually worthwhile ;)
  threefeet

Apprentice Member

7/05/14 2:47:32 PM#6

you need to be careful with giving these people your info. as i remember last winter the publishers of this game were under investigation in sweden for manipulating the market.

http://bit.ly/1qyChV4

havent heard anything since, but i wouldnt do anything with it until this is resolved.

User Deleted

OP  7/05/14 2:48:15 PM#7

I just bought it from Steam and downloading now :)

edit: I hope I can combine a katana and a uzi....if I can I will be super happy.

dancingstar

Hard Core Member

7/05/14 3:13:51 PM#8

Pretty much what Rylah said. Buying the standard edition lets you play the main storyline as it stood at launch plus the "Venetian Agenda" mission, and all non main story mission content prior to #5 (#5 was included in base game if you bought it before the end of December 2012). There is also a "Massive Edition" sold on Steam which includes issues #5, #6 and #7. 

Issues #5, #6 and #7 are sidestory mission arcs which fill out aspects of the main storyline. #6 and #7 in particular make little sense until after you've completed the respective arcs (Egypt and Transylvania) of the main story.

To continue the storyline past the start of the Venice arc you need to buy #9. The paid DLC part of #8 consists entirely of extra maps and difficulty levels for Scenarios, an aspect of the game which a lot of people hate, so you might want to skip that.

Additionally there are two "Sidestories" DLC mission packs, each costing slightly less than a full Issue, and consisting of 4 or 5 "main" missions each.

Game seems to be well populated & has an active community. Local zone chats which are bound to a single "dimension" (what in other games are called servers) tend to be quiet once you're past the first zone; however you can group cross-dimension & there are a number of game-wide chat channels you can join such as #sanctuary & #noobmares which are great for grouping for missions & dungeons.

EDITED TO ADD: Both katanas and Uzis exist as weapon skins in the game, however Uzis are counted as pistols. Blade / pistol can be a viable build for soloing, possibly also for dungeon DPS (I haven't tried it).

hehenep

Apprentice Member

7/05/14 5:55:21 PM#9
Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

edit: I hope I can combine a katana and a uzi....if I can I will be super happy.

Your base purchase gives you a 'free' month of subscription. So you'll have access to the 'time accelerator' item which gives you an hour of 100% bonus XP from monsters once/day and 10% off in the in-game shop. That last bit's useful since they give you a decent chunk of free points (forget how much, more than 10$ worth anyway) once you complete 30 missions. If you're really interested in being able to play the story as far as possible without paying any more I'd suggest buying issue #9 with it. Getting the certification to progress to that content might be a pain without also buying issue #8 or the first sidestory pack but it's doable.

Also worth noting, the game currently has a double ... well everything event going on. So enjoy faster than usual progression of ability and skill points.

Last thing, honest. I'm not sure if they have a uzi weapon skin, but you most certainly can make a sword/pistol character or even a sword/assault rifle character. Basically pick any two available weapon skills and you can pair them up ... it may not always be ideal but you can do it. There's some decent examples of builds over here if you're interested: http://www.tswdb.com/builds/

mgilbrtsn

Spotlight Poster

He who fights and runs away... misses out on the loot

7/05/14 6:05:19 PM#10
A very fun game.  I play without using the shop.

They are coming for you!

Nitth

Hard Core Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

7/05/14 6:13:33 PM#11

Base game is fine, There isn't anything in the shop that's worth your time imo.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Rylah

Advanced Member

7/06/14 1:45:33 PM#12
Originally posted by Nitth

Nah... the issues after 5 are awesome. If I buy a book or a cinema ticket for 10€ I am usually through in about 2 hours. The missions in the packs take much longer and are quite exciting mostly (if you resist the urge to look up solutions). So yeah, entertainment value achieved.

Azaron_Nightblade

Advanced Member

7/07/14 8:47:36 AM#13
Originally posted by Rylah
Originally posted by Nitth

Nah... the issues after 5 are awesome. If I buy a book or a cinema ticket for 10€ I am usually through in about 2 hours. The missions in the packs take much longer and are quite exciting mostly (if you resist the urge to look up solutions). So yeah, entertainment value achieved.

Yep, they are on par with some of the better single player DLCs out there.

TSW does story content very well.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Po_gg

Elite Member

7/07/14 10:26:52 AM#14
Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

Yep, you can have blade-pistol, and also blade-assault rifle, both can be pretty viable decks for soloing.

As for the original question, it's not a must at all. But as others said the Issues (DLCs) are pretty good and totally worth their price. If you purchase them while "subbed" (30 days included with the game), you also have a 10% discount, but they're are not expensive even without the discount.

The rest of the shop is just fluff, you don't need anything from there for a full experience.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

7/07/14 1:09:03 PM#15

Like people said the only thing you need to buy are the DLC packs once you get to those regions. I think they split them up too much and are sort of small, but they're also only $10 or so. So it ends up being several small $10+ purchases rather than a $30 every once in a while.

I did get an email this last weekend letting me know I could buy a new quest chain, but that I also needed to purchase series 9 in order to buy the quest chain. I didn't really like that. The quests, stories, and content for a book should be included in the DLC purchase, not an additional fee after that.

That's really the only gripe I have with it though. The rest of the game is pretty good.

Curse you AquaScum!