Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,739,028 Users Online:0
Games:715  Posts:6,177,243
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Tried it again but... no. Just no

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  Bjelar

Novice Member

12/21/13 4:14:15 PM#21
Originally posted by Elikal

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame.

This I do think is a bit unfair.

Given the cutbacks following TSW`s obviously dissappointing release, I am rather impressed by Funcom`s ability to push out new material and systems. Take it from an AoC die-hard, TSW gets all the goodies ;)

I played TSW for two months after release, and enjoyed it. My problem with the game is that the story ends. Then I found myself left in a rather barren world with nothing going on. No housing or guild-city like in AoC, no useful crafting and nothing to explore.

I returned this spring, and again I had a lot of fun leveling an alt. But it is short term fun as long as the universe isn`t one to live in, like AoC`s Hyboria. So I left again.

I expect to return once or twice a year for as long as the servers are up, but I don`t see it as my home. It isn`t that kind of game to me.

trancefate

Novice Member

12/21/13 4:25:44 PM#22
Originally posted by Elikal

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

Asf asf

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. I guess that was the last time I gave this a chance. Three times is enough, and if Funcom did nothing by now, they won't at all.

Too bad. I really had hoped this would be worked on after launch.

This post is drenched in misconceptions and half-truths. Let us begin!

1) "The combat is still the same crappy mess"

This is subjective at BEST, and meaningless angry drivel at most likely. Personally I find the combat to be just visceral enough while focusing predominantly on planning and rotation, not twitch gw2 style face smashing on the keyboard.

2) "Targetting is a mess."

Another unfounded complaint, I personally have no issues with targetting. Maybe you should clarify statements like this if you are writing a critique.

3) "The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck."

The skill selection is very clearly organized by weapon type, and then further into each weapon types two roles, either dps/support, dps/heal, tank/support, or dps/tank. Pretty simple, not chaotic even in the slightest. You can sollect 1000s of combinations, all 1000 are viable in different scenarios. Even as a consummate minmaxer there are probably 20-30 competetive end game DPS builds, and all vary depending on the encounter mechanics!

4) Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

This is just a blatant bold faced lie. TSW releases new missions on a VERY regular basis, they even review them and title-screen said reviews on this very website.

5) Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

All 3 factions are supposed to be in the same territories, this isn't WoW or DAoC and wasn't made to be like it. There is a HUGE ammount of replay value because there is NO LEVELS AND NO CLASSES, meaning you are 100% incentivized to complete all of the missions on the same character. Multi characters are rendered obsolete.

6 )I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time.

Funcom has made a BOATLOAD of content additions since launch. My guess is that you never even finished the launch content, and failed to think before you painted outright blatant lies on the internet.

P.S. Dude you are a complete toolbag. I mean that in the most unprofessional uncurteous way possible.

P.P.S. Unique games like TSW don't need idiots like you dumping on them because you expected wow and were surprised when a year later it still wasn't wow.

TLDR:

GO BACK TO WOW

marz.at.play

Advanced Member

nanu nanu

12/22/13 12:19:35 PM#23
@ OP, you are so wrong on so many levels it makes me think you just made the post to troll...and I'm not even a TSW fan.

Yamota

Elite Member

"Only cunts name their swords"

12/22/13 12:26:02 PM#24
I am not surprised. Funcom failed on AoC and my bet was that they would the same on Secret World, and it seems they did. Funcom is simply a not very good company when it comes to MMOs.

Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

12/22/13 1:20:23 PM#25

TSW is one by best mmoRPG on market , no idea what is wrong with combat .

Maybe ,I playing this game as rpg not as action arcade.

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Xthos

Elite Member

12/22/13 2:35:05 PM#26

He has played it, I remember his posts when I was playing it.  He thought the mobs were too hard, and he disliked the idea that he may have to change builds on the fly when doing things solo and fighting different things, if I remember right.  That's what mainly stands out from memory.  So not sure why he went back, because I doubt any of that has changed for him.

I actually really liked TSW, was kind of surprised by it.  I left before all the new content, when I was done with the Transylvania area I think it was.  Been thinking of coming back and playing some, but not sure how much has been added (I know they have updates, just haven't read them).  So not sure if their is new areas or if it is all spread out everywhere.

TheRealDarkeus

Novice Member

“I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

12/22/13 8:05:18 PM#27
Originally posted by Xthos

He has played it, I remember his posts when I was playing it.  He thought the mobs were too hard, and he disliked the idea that he may have to change builds on the fly when doing things solo and fighting different things, if I remember right.  That's what mainly stands out from memory.  So not sure why he went back, because I doubt any of that has changed for him.

I actually really liked TSW, was kind of surprised by it.  I left before all the new content, when I was done with the Transylvania area I think it was.  Been thinking of coming back and playing some, but not sure how much has been added (I know they have updates, just haven't read them).  So not sure if their is new areas or if it is all spread out everywhere.

Oh this is him isn't it.  I thought i recognized the unfounded claims.  I personally think TSW is one of the best MMO games out there.  I have gotten a bunch of veteran MMO player friends of mine and they love the fact that it is so unique.  And no complaints about the combat or anything.

This guy is basically trolling.  TSW is some of the best stuff out there in this land of WoW clones.  I have tried many games out there but there is one MMO game I keep coming back to....

The combat is fine, the quest are great, the Ability Wheel is really fun to play with and there is mad content for endgame now.  And they always have events going on, just like now. 

Basically, I wonder if this dude has even played.  Doesn't sound like the game I play.

pajulaakso

Novice Member

12/23/13 4:11:19 PM#28

There is really only one thing keeping me out of this game. The broken Gear Manager.

Last time I logged in, it was still crap.

Has this been fixed?

djazzy

Novice Member

12/23/13 4:16:56 PM#29

I don't think the combat is that bad

The problem with it I suppose is the animations and the feedback (such as sounds, the impact of the weapons, etcetera) but the actual combat is pretty good in my opinion.

Zeplini

Novice Member

12/23/13 4:18:54 PM#30
I loved the quests and story, loved the music and atmosphere, loved the environments but hated the terrible character models and animations but even worse is the combat system which is just terrible

Playing: SWTOR
Future: Maybe Wildstar? but not EQ3 if ProSiebenSat1 is running the EU version

TheRealDarkeus

Novice Member

“I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

12/23/13 5:10:40 PM#31
Originally posted by pajulaakso

There is really only one thing keeping me out of this game. The broken Gear Manager.

Has this been fixed?

That depends.  When did you log on last.  They have pretty much fixed the Gear Manager now I believe. 

VincerKaden

Novice Member

12/23/13 6:27:59 PM#32
Originally posted by Yamota
I am not surprised. Funcom failed on AoC and my bet was that they would the same on Secret World, and it seems they did. Funcom is simply a not very good company when it comes to MMOs.

I wouldn't form an opinion on the OP's post. But it must be personal opinion. I find both AoC and TSW to be very fun games. Both of them make me think about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. Especially TSW. Combat is never just a face-roll across the number keys like it is in almost every other theme park I've tried in recent years (after spending time to learn said games, mind you. Nothing is easy out of the gate!)

SuperDonk

Hard Core Member

12/23/13 6:52:24 PM#33

I agree with the OP, which is why I never bothered to reinstall it after they dropped the sub requirement.

TSW looks great on paper, a story-driven mystery game in a modern fantasy setting with customizable skill sets, I just could never get past the bad animations and mob density. The skill system and quests were ok, but could have been better.

I want to be Uncle Owen again.

djazzy

Novice Member

12/23/13 7:40:25 PM#34
when you guys say terrible combat, what is terrible about it? blanket statements don't really help
  udon

Elite Member

12/23/13 7:55:28 PM#35
Originally posted by djazzy
when you guys say terrible combat, what is terrible about it? blanket statements don't really help

I think a lot of people just call anything that is not GW2 style spastic jumping around as terrible these days.

For me however I find the combat very stiff and rhythmic and not in a good way.  The way builders and consumers go back and forth just isn't that interesting to me as it seems almost a bit to repetitive 99% of the time.  Don't get me wrong I think TSW is a great game and recently it has been my goto MMO but I find the act of combat to be it's weakest part.  The skill system, great quests and ability to log in and do more than your required dailies everyday does make up for it IMO so I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the patience to see past the combat's shortcomings.

Wesp

Novice Member

12/23/13 8:14:43 PM#36

I find it fascinating how everyone in this world has a different opinion on such things as books, music, movies, sports, politics, religion, and games! There really are no boundaries.

Its too bad the game's story appeals to you, but nothing else does. I've felt the same about many, many MMOS from Warhammer to GW2 to Lotro. They always have something I like, but also a lot I fundamentally do not (art style, graphics, responsiveness of controls ect.) which kills it for me.

I started playing TSW again after 1.5 years and I am completely immersed. Everything about the game appeals to me.

* The graphics are very appropriate for the setting, and the mood they're trying to convey. I've never understood why people don't like the animations - I think they're fine. The Zones are simply awesome. 

* The dungeons on nightmare are the best I've come across in any MMO. I've run them every day for the past 2 months since my return and each time I have a blast. The reason I believe is something no other game has been able to accomplish - Even with gear, skill  and a competent team they still manage to challenge you.

"Every other MMO"  - Grind, Get best gear, face roll keyboard, win. 

* The ability wheel, the auxilary weapon system and now the augment system create a complexity that nearly matches a TCG. This design appeals to people who enjoy researching, testing, tweaking, and optimizing builds. Adding glyphs and signets to the mix and its insane the amount of possibilities. I can see how this would turn a lot of people off because they don't have the patience or time for it. There are plenty of games that have very simplistic class design and cookie cutter builds for those people. 

Just some points I like about the game - Its apparent the game isn't for everyone. Hope you find a game that "nails it" in regards to your tastes.

Pekish79

Advanced Member

12/24/13 10:55:43 AM#37

it's amaze me more how people judge game that are obviously not their cup of tea with hate and pretending they are "wrong"

i hate really deeply hate first person shooter i hated famous game just because they were in first person before skyrim i couldnt even get close to Elder Scroll series...

but i never ever felt the need to go and say that game fail heavily because is first person. And i know millions of people that hate first person type of game because it make them sick or just feel it super weird

I guess people feel the need to give shit to anything that is not made specifically for their taste. Tollerance FTW

Kemosabe-TBC

Novice Member

2/07/14 12:22:05 PM#38
Originally posted by asmkm22
Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

Considering how poorly the game is doing, I'd say you're wrong.

Considering every person I've met, who has played the game till end game, considers this the one of  best game they've ever played. I'd say *you* are wrong.

Also what do you mean by "poorly"? It doesn't seem to be that poor. Also interesting to note that it's the highest rated game, right now, on this very site, and has been in the top 3 for the past 2 years.

dancingstar

Hard Core Member

2/07/14 1:22:33 PM#39
Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
Originally posted by pajulaakso

Has this been fixed?

That depends.  When did you log on last.  They have pretty much fixed the Gear Manager now I believe. 

Gear Manager is about as fixed as is reasonably practical. Upgrading a weapon or talisman will still cause the manager to "forget" it but the only way to fix this is to either completely re-code how the game handles itemization, or to run a search and replace through all saved builds every time you use the assembly window to upgrade / reglyph / signet a piece of gear.

Xthos

Elite Member

2/07/14 2:12:07 PM#40

I may have to boot this back up, to see what all has been added, since I kind of burned through content, but I left before all the added content patches.  I loved the stories and feel of the game, and I am not a big zombie, or this genre type person, and I usually hit spacebar playing stuff like this.

I thought the combat was fine, and again, I am not the biggest fan of telegraphing and action combat, but I liked what TSW had to deliver, could of had a little bit more diversity in the builds, but it was nice that you had to adjust your build, depending on where you were and what you were fighting.

TSW is probably my favorite modern mmo at this time, I liked the game, just it suffered from the themepark problem of content ending.  I know a lot has been added though, so it may be time to load it back up and play all the new stuff.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search