Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,648 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,995
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » I want cooler looking combat skills

12 posts found
  Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/20/07
Posts: 4809

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

 
OP  10/16/13 9:47:54 AM#1

For me immersion is everything.

In TSW you are supposed to be this cool super powered mage , but in fact you are running around shooting machine guns and slamming people with swords.

I just want to have fun while playing, and so far combat was completely underwhelming , not feeling "magical" at all.

 

What skill lines do pack most visual punch ?

What skill lines are fun to play (doesnt need to be most effective) ?

 

 

 

 

  Scalpless

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/07
Posts: 1290

10/17/13 5:41:15 AM#2
If you want magical skills, choose a magical skill line like Elementalism.
  Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/20/07
Posts: 4809

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

 
OP  10/17/13 7:11:20 AM#3
Originally posted by Scalpless
If you want magical skills, choose a magical skill line like Elementalism.

I did, totally wasted SP just to try it out (although its not recommended build for me)

 

Its bit better now, but still pretty mundane zip zap.

 

  Scalpless

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/07
Posts: 1290

10/17/13 12:48:28 PM#4
I suppose TSW just isn't a flashy game. Elementalism is as flashy as it gets IMO.
  dancingstar

Hard Core Member

Joined: 11/19/11
Posts: 277

10/21/13 10:35:00 AM#5

I want the Corinthian pillars for Crimson Theatre back, dammit!

There appear to be a few changes to effects with 1.8 (an early build of which is on the test servers), but nothing major. Generally though, I'm not convinced the kind of flashy spell effects that fit in high-fantasy games would be really appropriate for TSW.

  Rohn

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/02/08
Posts: 3739

10/22/13 8:25:55 PM#6
Originally posted by dancingstar

I want the Corinthian pillars for Crimson Theatre back, dammit!

There appear to be a few changes to effects with 1.8 (an early build of which is on the test servers), but nothing major. Generally though, I'm not convinced the kind of flashy spell effects that fit in high-fantasy games would be really appropriate for TSW.

 

I agree.  Ultra-flashy effects don't fit the game.  The combat effects should be more subdued, or they'd look out of place.

A nuclear bomb doesn't need to detonate every time a character swings a sword.  Save that for the high fantasy stuff.  The effects in TSW fit the genre.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  RabidMouth

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/17/13
Posts: 189

10/22/13 9:26:11 PM#7
For me the skills work fine but the animations could use some serious work. I think that's one of the largest complaints about the game.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

  Shayyd80

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/08/13
Posts: 39

10/22/13 9:34:24 PM#8
the difficulty when soloing should be looked at too. Sometimes it just isn't fun when soloing, just feels more like a grind on one mob for 3 minutes until it dies, then move to next, rinse repeat and hope you brought some drinks along the way. I absolutely LOVE TSW but... it fails on the solo gamer level. I love grouping in TSW as well but... sometimes you just feel like grouping and your left with the "solo grind" hard enough as It is. The dungeons are amazing though. Best design for any mmo's I.M.O.
  rodingo

Elite Member

Joined: 1/18/07
Posts: 1720

10/22/13 9:34:30 PM#9
Originally posted by CowboyHat
For me the skills work fine but the animations could use some serious work. I think that's one of the largest complaints about the game.

Funcom should have known better than to use manual set keys instead of MOCAP with the art style they used.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

  Scalpless

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/07
Posts: 1290

10/30/13 7:03:17 AM#10
Originally posted by rodingo
Originally posted by CowboyHat
For me the skills work fine but the animations could use some serious work. I think that's one of the largest complaints about the game.

Funcom should have known better than to use manual set keys instead of MOCAP with the art style they used.

Manual animations can look incredible. For example, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was animated manually and looked better than most mocap games. FunCom just couldn't pull it off.

  alkarionlog

Elite Member

Joined: 3/19/09
Posts: 1025

10/30/13 7:12:12 AM#11
Originally posted by Shayyd80
the difficulty when soloing should be looked at too. Sometimes it just isn't fun when soloing, just feels more like a grind on one mob for 3 minutes until it dies, then move to next, rinse repeat and hope you brought some drinks along the way. I absolutely LOVE TSW but... it fails on the solo gamer level. I love grouping in TSW as well but... sometimes you just feel like grouping and your left with the "solo grind" hard enough as It is. The dungeons are amazing though. Best design for any mmo's I.M.O.

I have to tell you then, you are not witha  good damage build, I can kill even whole groups pretty fast and it from someone who use AR as main weapon. try to get all items for atack save one item for health and you are gold

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

  Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 2/05/11
Posts: 1387

10/30/13 7:14:47 AM#12
Originally posted by Shayyd80
the difficulty when soloing should be looked at too. Sometimes it just isn't fun when soloing, just feels more like a grind on one mob for 3 minutes until it dies, then move to next, rinse repeat and hope you brought some drinks along the way. I absolutely LOVE TSW but... it fails on the solo gamer level. I love grouping in TSW as well but... sometimes you just feel like grouping and your left with the "solo grind" hard enough as It is. The dungeons are amazing though. Best design for any mmo's I.M.O.

 

I think it's the builder combat that makes some fights seem like a grind more than anything.  MMO's desperately need more solo difficulty, if the combat is not this horrible chore that is builder combat.  I like the game overall, but anytime I start to get irritated with the game I realize that it's the builder combat, nothing else.

 

OP  must have used guns initially as most of the magic looks very good/flashy.