Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Wasteland 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,348 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,474
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » joystiq: What I wish I had known when starting TSW

5 posts found
  Nadia

Elite Member

OP  10/14/13 11:44:36 AM#1
  spookydom

Apprentice Member

I'm a lvl 50 Batman!

10/14/13 12:00:21 PM#2
Really agree with point 1. Commiting to a build in the early game saves you a lot of trouble later on. I was wasting AP on my first toon all over the tree's in Beta.  I struggled through Blue Mountain and had my ass kicked in Egypt. My next toon was built using the basic deck leading to an advanced deck, that gave me a much stronger foundation to build on for later. 

Po_gg

Elite Member

10/14/13 12:21:14 PM#3

Thx for the link, it was a fun read... at point 3 I was like: "oh, a Templar, I understand now" :)

"(and shush those of you who say "AP is never wasted!""  but AP is never wasted indeed. Of course if you need a point 4. to start remembering the easier missions for later use... Dame Julia won't be proud of you I guess :)

The only point I think is really important is 5: "I am slowly and meticulously taking my time. I'm not only doing every quest, but every single side quest (which are often pretty dang cool in their own right). My goal isn't to get to the end, but to just soak up the story, progress at a reasonable pace, and really look at the details and the world." That's the right way to play TSW.

The rest is only natural:  -starting with one, or max. with two decks, -when you reach QL6 somewhere around Savage Coast do a quick run to the Mountains and barter Solomons for blue gear; and additional QL5's in the Coast too, - buying Sprint 2 and 3 (c'mon, that's so obvious :) )

But 6... /reset for travelling is an exploit, it's pretty weird to suggesting its mass-usage in an article... but again, it's coming from a Templar :)

Bjelar

Novice Member

10/14/13 12:40:28 PM#4

#5 warns you that rushing TSW is like skimming through a terrific novel just to get to the line telling you that the butler did it. You are much better off soaking it up, making it last, letting the story unfold at it`s natural pace.

I couldn`t agree more.

#1, #2, #3, #4 and #6 tells you how you can rush faster through the game. 

CasualMaker

Apprentice Member

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

10/16/13 12:45:10 PM#5
Originally posted by Po_gg

The only point I think is really important is 5: "I am slowly and meticulously taking my time. I'm not only doing every quest, but every single side quest (which are often pretty dang cool in their own right). My goal isn't to get to the end, but to just soak up the story, progress at a reasonable pace, and really look at the details and the world." That's the right way to play TSW.

The rest is only natural:  -starting with one, or max. with two decks, -when you reach QL6 somewhere around Savage Coast do a quick run to the Mountains and barter Solomons for blue gear; and additional QL5's in the Coast too, - buying Sprint 2 and 3 (c'mon, that's so obvious :) )

Not all THAT obvious: my first character was into the City of the Sun before I found out about the Sprint upgrades. (Yes, I looked at the vendor in question, but those just looked like pricy potions. I wondered about their duration since it wasn't listed, but didn't realize that the absence of that specification meant that they were permanent upgrades.)

Points 1 and 5 fall under "Well DUH!" I looked over the weapons carefully at the start, then stuck to my choices. The first 3 skills come free with the initial weapon choice. Then you can walk back into the armory and get your secondary one free too, with some AP from training to pay for your first couple skills. It was only after playing a few days that I realized that I could and should be getting some passives from other weapons (like that cheap HOT in Fist).

Points 2 and 4 sort of came by default. The weapons for sale by Venice didn't seem much if any better than what I already had, so I forgot about spending sequins until I had a nice pile of them. I wasn't initially aware that most missions were repeatable. I still don't take special note of quick mission chains, but a couple do stick in mind like the chain from the entrance to Savage Coast to John Wolf to Black House to "Getting a Head" back to Wolf.