Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,531 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,679
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Why does TSW get such slow content updates?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
33 posts found
  flclimax

Advanced Member

8/29/13 11:16:50 AM#21

because the game flopped and is basically on life support. they weren't able to keep up content delivery schedule past 2 months, and laid off 75% of the staff so far. now everything is late and further in between. the content that players are waiting for now were supposed to be out in october-december last year.

it also suffers from being very buggy, they had one update that had some invasion type event but after it faded all the world NPC's were stuck in combat and thus unusable and broke many quests/vendors.

c0exist

Novice Member

8/29/13 11:21:24 AM#22
The problem for me with the game is it felt too much like a single player game.  They make great single player adventure games and thats what this game felt like to me.  The story was great and different, atmosphere  was great as well.  However, the combat was lacking but not a deal breaker for me.  The game is great for what it is and should have been released as a single player game.  As for the OP quit being cheap, its $30.  Not like you are signing a 2 yr contract at $40/month. 
  Ayulin

Novice Member

8/29/13 11:28:14 AM#23
Originally posted by Drakynn
Originally posted by Karteli

OK nobody said it yet ...

but it's quite comical how someone who contributed a grand total of $0 is complaining that there is no funding for new content being released...

I mean if you bought the game, gripe away ... but you played beta and are still thinking about a purchase, then complain that there isn't adequate patches?

Thanks for making my day.

Yeah you should never question a product or service before buying into it!!!

Smart Consumerism is what is killing the economy!!!

There is more than ample information, articles, trailer and gameplay videos, reviews, discussions, let's plays,  etc.. about the game to get an informed opinion of what the game is about. The only way you could possibly call it an "uninformed purchase" is if you don't even bother trying. And, as the saying goes, "in the age of information, ignorance is a choice".

And since you're mocking the idea of buying something without questioning it first...

How many games have you bought without any guarantee you'd enjoy them?

How many movies have you gone to see without any guarantee you'd enjoy  them?

How many services have you purchased or subscribed to with no guarantee that you'd be satisfied with them?

... even when returns or refunds aren't an option...?

People make "blind faith" purchases all the time, with all kinds of things; you, me, everyone. It's nothing new. So, it seems a bit disingenuous and self-serving to so selectively cherry-pick MMOs as one time where it's suddenly "unreasonable".

Rodentofdoom

Novice Member

8/29/13 11:31:40 AM#24
Originally posted by Cetra
[mod edit]

Anarchy Online was the 1st MMO I ever played

I compare all other MMO's to it, and find them woefully inadequate

I play TSW as well, as a friend gifted me a copy over steam.

There are times when the ingame lighting, audio and generic content seriously creep me out

particularly the 'black house' with the quest objective 'investigate the cellar'

that left me sat in my chair thinking, but I don't want to go into the cellar

bad stuff ALWAYS happens in the cellars

the character animation might be a bit shit, but by god they got the atmosphere nailed, and nailed hard.

Ayulin

Novice Member

8/29/13 11:32:58 AM#25
Originally posted by flclimax

because the game flopped and is basically on life support. they weren't able to keep up content delivery schedule past 2 months, and laid off 75% of the staff so far. now everything is late and further in between. the content that players are waiting for now were supposed to be out in october-december last year.

it also suffers from being very buggy, they had one update that had some invasion type event but after it faded all the world NPC's were stuck in combat and thus unusable and broke many quests/vendors.

Again... no, it is not on life support.

I've seen games on life support. Vanguard was in that camp for years, until SOE decided to pull it out of death row. Matrix Online was in that camp for years 'til SOE decided to pull the plug.

To say TSW is on "life support" is to be using the term in the loosest possible way.

TSW is an active game, with a noticeable population everywhere you go, chat is active in the different areas, etc. Development is continuing on it. "Slowed" =/= "Stopped".

People need to stop thinking in terms of this dichotomy where a MMO is either a "raving success" or it's on "life support". There's a vast gray area in-between, and that's where TSW finds itself.

VincerKaden

Novice Member

8/29/13 11:35:25 AM#26
Originally posted by Rodentofdoom
Originally posted by Cetra
[mod edit]

Anarchy Online was the 1st MMO I ever played

I compare all other MMO's to it, and find them woefully inadequate

I play TSW as well, as a friend gifted me a copy over steam.

There are times when the ingame lighting, audio and generic content seriously creep me out

particularly the 'black house' with the quest objective 'investigate the cellar'

that left me sat in my chair thinking, but I don't want to go into the cellar

bad stuff ALWAYS happens in the cellars

the character animation might be a bit shit, but by god they got the atmosphere nailed, and nailed hard.

Even reading your post made me shiver about that house. The atmosphere in TSW is amazing.

OP, the content updates might not be rapid-fire, but they are quality from what I've experienced so far. Anyone not giving this game a try is only cheating themselves.

Ayulin

Novice Member

8/29/13 12:23:07 PM#27
Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
 I was really interested in TSW before launch cause its premise looked really cool and unusual for an MMO. I probably would've played it from the beginning, and I know that combat isn't everything, but damn is the TSW's combat inexcusable. I'm for that for someone who has played it so far, its not big deal, but really as a game that was launching in 2012 there is no justification for why its combat was so damn floaty, unengaging, and boring. 

100% personal opinion. Also, can we please stop with these "in 2012", "in 2013" comments? They're absolutely pointless. There is no "All Encompassing Annual Guide" that defines "what 'X' should be like in 2012", or "2013", or so on... It's just people attempting to give more "legitimacy" to their opinions by attaching some arbitrary, fictitious "universal standard" to it.

If I was to ask you "What should combat be like in 2012?", you could not ever give me an objective answer that's "universally true" for everyone. The best you could do is describe what you personally think it should  be.

Ask 10 different people that same question, you'll get 10 different opinions; perhaps with similarities... but not the same.

If it's a typical thread around mmorpg.com, it's possible (even probable) that every one of them will insist their answer is somehow "The One True And Correct Response".

Drakynn

Novice Member

8/29/13 1:22:23 PM#28
Originally posted by Ayulin
Originally posted by Karteli

OK nobody said it yet ...

but it's quite comical how someone who contributed a grand total of $0 is complaining that there is no funding for new content being released...

I mean if you bought the game, gripe away ... but you played beta and are still thinking about a purchase, then complain that there isn't adequate patches?

Thanks for making my day.

Yeah you should never question a product or service before buying into it!!!

Smart Consumerism is what is killing the economy!!!

There is more than ample information, articles, trailer and gameplay videos, reviews, discussions, let's plays,  etc.. about the game to get an informed opinion of what the game is about. The only way you could possibly call it an "uninformed purchase" is if you don't even bother trying. And, as the saying goes, "in the age of information, ignorance is a choice".

And since you're mocking the idea of buying something without questioning it first...

How many games have you bought without any guarantee you'd enjoy them?

How many movies have you gone to see without any guarantee you'd enjoy  them?

How many services have you purchased or subscribed to with no guarantee that you'd be satisfied with them?

... even when returns or refunds aren't an option...?

People make "blind faith" purchases all the time, with all kinds of things; you, me, everyone. It's nothing new. So, it seems a bit disingenuous and self-serving to so selectively cherry-pick MMOs as one time where it's suddenly "unreasonable".

No I'm mocking someone mocking someone for wanting more information before buying.

If people choose to buy blind then it's their choice and they pay the consequences.Caveat Emptor.

Since you ask I research any purchase I'm making or service I intend to use and compare them to other products and services before committing to a purchase.That's just being smart.I do that for all areas of my consumerism and don't single out just MMORPGs for special treatment though it seems you do.

I don't condone Blind Faith in anything because questioning is always healthy.But if people choose to not question that is their right.

Once more,because it bears repeating so you get it, I was making fun of someone making fun of someone wanting more information and opinions on an issue on a product they were thinking of purchasing.

None of this was a knock on TSW which you seem out to defend from any imagined slight.

Xthos

Elite Member

8/29/13 1:34:09 PM#29

I think TSW is one of the best mmos in the last 6-7 years, but I knew, even when it was sub based, that it would be hard for them to come out with content fast enough, since the content, imo was really well done, good stories behind the quests and such.  Seems so much work went into things that keeping up with people in a themepark would almost be impossible.

Still, if someone has not played it, it is well worth it, and I got easily over 200x the play time in it, then I did in GW2, which is more popular, but not everyone finds the same things 'fun'.  At the price it is now, I do not see why someone that is curious would not just grab it. 

Ayulin

Novice Member

8/29/13 1:38:18 PM#30

No I'm mocking someone mocking someone for wanting more information before buying.

Fair enough... I'm just so tired of seeing that particular argument used against any MMO that isn't F2P, that the moment I see something that seems along those lines, my "oh, here we go again" instincts kick in. Mea culpa.

If people choose to buy blind then it's their choice and they pay the consequences.Caveat Emptor.

Agreed.

Since you ask I research any purchase I'm making or service I intend to use and compare them to other products and services before committing to a purchase.That's just being smart.I do that for all areas of my consumerism and don't single out just MMORPGs for special treatment though it seems you do.

Errr... I know it was intended to be a slight, but I'm not sure what exactly that last remark is supposed to mean? I don't single out anything. I was remarking on how  people will buy things on Blind Faith ('cause even with research, nothing is a guarantee) and be fine with the possible consequences (they end up not liking it and regretting the purchase)... except when it comes to MMOs. Then suddenly they "demand more" to "justify the purchase". It just rings hollow as an argument when I see it made, and I was remarking on that.

I don't condone Blind Faith in anything because questioning is always healthy.But if people choose to not question that is their right.

Agreed. The problem isn't when they choose not to question. The problem is when they refuse to acknowledge that not questioning plays a major part in a poor purchase decision. The whole personal accountability thing.

None of this was a knock on TSW which you seem out to defend from any imagined slight.

Err... again, no. You're doing fine in your regular responses to me. But these arbitrary 'jabs' are falling short.

Drakynn

Novice Member

8/29/13 1:49:19 PM#31
Originally posted by Ayulin

Fair enough... I'm just so tired of seeing that particular argument used against any MMO that isn't F2P, that the moment I see something that seems along those lines, my "oh, here we go again" instincts kick in. Mea culpa.

Agreed.

Errr... I know it was intended to be a slight, but I'm not sure what exactly that last remark is supposed to mean? I don't single out anything. I was remarking on how  people will buy things on Blind Faith ('cause even with research, nothing is a guarantee) and be fine with the possible consequences (they end up not liking it and regretting the purchase)... except when it comes to MMOs. Then suddenly they "demand more" to "justify the purchase". It just rings hollow as an argument when I see it made, and I was remarking on that.

Agreed. The problem isn't when they choose not to question. The problem is when they refuse to acknowledge that not questioning plays a major part in a poor purchase decision. The whole personal accountability thing.

Err... again, no. You're doing fine in your regular responses to me. But these arbitrary 'jabs' are falling short.

My mistake the first jab was because you seemed to be saying that MMORPGs should be bought on blind faith.I would agree nothing is guaranteed well unless it comes with a guarantee...but research and questioning can help you minimize the risk of dissatisfaction.Even questions based on misinformation are useful because that can lead to misconceptions being cleared up.But I retract the jab as it was childish on my part.

The Second jab was just a response to you seeming have to respond to every post int he thread with negative overtones toward TSW,but I do agree that people portraying TSW as an abject failure are exaggerating.It's not wildly successful but it's clearly generating profit.SO I withdraw this jab too since that's what you are responding too.

My apologies.

Ayulin

Novice Member

8/29/13 2:48:16 PM#32

My mistake the first jab was because you seemed to be saying that MMORPGs should be bought on blind faith.I would agree nothing is guaranteed well unless it comes with a guarantee...but research and questioning can help you minimize the risk of dissatisfaction.Even questions based on misinformation are useful because that can lead to misconceptions being cleared up.But I retract the jab as it was childish on my part.

The Second jab was just a response to you seeming have to respond to every post int he thread with negative overtones toward TSW,but I do agree that people portraying TSW as an abject failure are exaggerating.It's not wildly successful but it's clearly generating profit.SO I withdraw this jab too since that's what you are responding too.

My apologies.

It's all good.

We're imperfect humans communicating through an imperfect medium.

Misunderstandings will happen.

HF

drbaltazar

Apprentice Member

8/29/13 2:58:29 PM#33
episode 7!this means 7 update since lunch!buy the game episode 5 6 and 7 are to be baught .but at a appoint you get the=to one episode so only 2 other episode to buy!I play this game total cost about45$ nons no monthly!me I love the lore in this game but its 16 +.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search