Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Star Trek Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,619 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,038
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

7 posts found
  ElderRat

Novice Member

OP  7/03/13 1:01:54 PM#1
Just got a key to try this game, it is the anniversary. So, as I download it I have questions. Is this a challenging game, as in does it take some thought  or is everything handed to you and you can get to end game fast?  Is there a decent player population or is this mostly a solo game so it doesn't matter. And lastly are the guilds decent or just end-game raiding oriented? I understand the game is buy to play tho I am sure that there is a cash shop, but I might be interested in buying it if the answers to my questions line up and if the cash shop isn't too outrageous. thanks.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Shadowguy64

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:06:12 PM#2
Just so you know, it's selling for $10 on Amazon. So try to decide quickly...
  aspekx

Hard Core Member

7/03/13 1:10:35 PM#3
i can only answer your first question: the quests/missions in this game often do require some real thought.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Bjelar

Novice Member

7/03/13 2:02:08 PM#4
Originally posted by ElderRat
Just got a key to try this game, it is the anniversary. So, as I download it I have questions. Is this a challenging game, as in does it take some thought  or is everything handed to you and you can get to end game fast?  Is there a decent player population or is this mostly a solo game so it doesn't matter. And lastly are the guilds decent or just end-game raiding oriented? I understand the game is buy to play tho I am sure that there is a cash shop, but I might be interested in buying it if the answers to my questions line up and if the cash shop isn't too outrageous. thanks.

Is the game challenging? If you don't google the quest-walkthroughs, I can guarantee you will get stuck at some investigation mission. Stuck for a very long time. And then you will google it after all ;)  Fighting mobbs is easy, although they do seem to have quite a few HP. There are "hard" quests which are soloable but hard. By MMO standards: Yes, the game is challenging.

Is there a decent population? There is a decent population, but they tend to show up for a week or two after new content release and then go away to play other games until next time. 

Are the guilds decent or just end-game raiding oriented? It is hard to find a guild for low level players. The ones I've been in consist of a hard core nightmare-mode endgame grinders and a few randoms who don't call for groups very often. Guilds are mainly a glorified chat channel. 

ElderRat

Novice Member

OP  7/03/13 2:06:49 PM#5
thank you for all your answers, however the trial download failed 2/3 of the way thru. I sent the error report to funcom with my email. They reply or they don't. I am not going to pay for the amazon download because if it doesn't work goodbye actual money. Also the answer about the guilds was not encouraging.  Thanks though for what seemed to be very honest answers.

Sho0terMcgavin

Apprentice Member

7/03/13 10:05:36 PM#6
Heres my take on it.  When the game was about to release.  I was lucky to be picked to beta test the game.  Honestly, I didn't like the game at all initially.  I gave the game a few hours, it didn't hook me.  To be fair, Tera was just about to launch (or did launch already, can't recall)  I was also doing the closed betas for Tera.  So, after playing one of the best combat systems currently available for MMOs.  It was hard for me to get into another Tab target MMO.

Now, that was when the game launched.  When the game went B2P and didn't require a sub.  I decided to give it another shot. Honestly, its still not the best MMO i've ever played, but for $30 you will get your money's worth.  I put in about 30-40 hours till another game I was waiting for released.  I'll go back to it from time to time.  Being that I own it now, I don't have to worry.  It has a unique world and isn't just another generic fantasy setting mmo.  I would definitely recommend you pick it up now for $10.  Unless you are playing on some stone age computer (not judging, just understand your concern).  

ElderRat

Novice Member

OP  7/03/13 10:56:27 PM#7
Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
Heres my take on it.  When the game was about to release.  I was lucky to be picked to beta test the game.  Honestly, I didn't like the game at all initially.  I gave the game a few hours, it didn't hook me.  To be fair, Tera was just about to launch (or did launch already, can't recall)  I was also doing the closed betas for Tera.  So, after playing one of the best combat systems currently available for MMOs.  It was hard for me to get into another Tab target MMO.

Now, that was when the game launched.  When the game went B2P and didn't require a sub.  I decided to give it another shot. Honestly, its still not the best MMO i've ever played, but for $30 you will get your money's worth.  I put in about 30-40 hours till another game I was waiting for released.  I'll go back to it from time to time.  Being that I own it now, I don't have to worry.  It has a unique world and isn't just another generic fantasy setting mmo.  I would definitely recommend you pick it up now for $10.  Unless you are playing on some stone age computer (not judging, just understand your concern).  

Nope, not a top of the line but not stone age either. Still no word from funcom about the error downloading. Not sure what I am going to do. Maybe wait to see what 3 other games do - EQN, ESO and the repopulation(18 months I heard). Just quit AoC again because I cannot find a mmo that doesn't bore me quickly. I have skyrim with a ton of mods - maybe I am just a single player guy now. Though if Shadowbane 2 came I would probably play that(just dreaming here).