Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,810 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,146
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Game most similar to TSW?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
24 posts found
  dooming

Apprentice Member

OP  5/06/13 8:31:57 PM#1

Considering trying out TSW, but not sure what to expect.     I'll probably watch a few more videos, but was wondering what game it's most similar to in terms of the basic world and how the game is designed.   Is it like Rift? SWTOR?  EQ?  WoW?  Aion?  AO?  

Mostly I like to know if it's on rails and primarily instanced. 

Thanks.

sumdumguy1

Hard Core Member

5/06/13 8:45:28 PM#2

Its really a diffferent type of beast IMO.  You should definately try it though.  If does make you think.

spookydom

Apprentice Member

I'm a lvl 50 Batman!

5/06/13 8:49:54 PM#3
For world setting or story or skill trees there really isn't anything like it out there. Gameplay wise it has Age Of Conan style playfeilds rather than a big open world though they are pretty big, if you are looking for something a bit different it's worth a look, though you may want to see if you can nab a free trial key from somebody before spending big on the box price.

maddog15a

Advanced Member

5/06/13 8:51:34 PM#4

Its skill system is a mix of Mabinogi and GW2.  It trys to get away saying there are no levels but the truth is its a hidden stat based on player's gear and skills.  Its not too instanced, but most of the missions take place in instances.  As far as on rails, no but each zone is geared for different level ranges.  So you wont be freely exploring as much as you will be finishing the quest from zone to zone to zone.

The world design and atmosphere is where the game really shines and really is the only mmo and game at this time for that matter that delves you into the various modern myths and conspiracies of this age. 

eddieg50

Hard Core Member

5/06/13 8:52:24 PM#5
It really is in a class of its own, but it has similarities to SWTOR, both are story driven games
  dooming

Apprentice Member

OP  5/06/13 9:11:09 PM#6

Thanks.

I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale next.

DKLond

Hard Core Member

5/07/13 2:25:40 PM#7

It has the best writing, quests and atmosphere of any MMO - no question.

However, in most other ways - it's average to weak.

But given that those things are so strong, it works as a really good singleplayer adventure/action/rpg hybrid.

I don't think the heavy narrative works too well in a multiplayer oriented game - because when questing together, there's a lot of waiting around if you want to catch the story.

So, I don't think it's a very good multiplayer game overall. Except, I have to say, for the fantastic dungeon instances.

Mkilbride

Spotlight Poster

5/07/13 2:28:41 PM#8

Who ever compared this to GW2 is a weird one lol.

Now, the only other MMO I could compare this too, would be The Matrix Online, and that's shut down...

So it is rather unique.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Leiloni

Hard Core Member

5/07/13 2:28:49 PM#9
Originally posted by dooming

Thanks.

I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale next.

Current players can actually give you a trial buddy key. There's a sticky thread here you can ask for a key. I believe they are good for a three day trial so it'll give you a good feel for the game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356621/page/89

marganculos

Advanced Member

5/07/13 2:34:45 PM#10

Game most similar to TSW?

none i would say... its unique i rly liked it finished every single quest, shame endgame sux.... there is nothing to do ... just "few dungeons" and pvp :P

Gorwe

Elite Member

5/07/13 4:19:16 PM#11

The most similar?

I can see just one similarity: when talking about skills and all that Deck business, one can not but notice similarity between TSW and GW 1.

Otherwise it's pretty unique. Story is unique as is setting. World design is top notch as is quest design. Only weak part is the combat design. There are lots of subpar, duplicate or broken skills. Combat is really mediocre at best, but the rest of game is so stellar that it basically overrides the mediocrity of combat.

I'd say give it a shot. It's really good.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/07/13 4:43:21 PM#12
Very good dungeons
It's story driven, but not anything like as linear and closed in as swtor
The dungeons are hard and good
The pvp sucks (but no worse than other pve orientated games like wow or swtor)
The crafting is poor
They avoid the wow clone cliches while leveling by their interesting quest system and the need to swap your build around.
Unfortunately end game is wow clone cliche of sat in agartha queueing for dungeons and people wanting cookie cutter builds.

Basicly its swtor done much better.
As a pve game its also better than gw2, although its worse than gw2 at pvp and crafting.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/07/13 4:45:35 PM#13
The combat is simmilar to gw2

But...
You have less skills
You can't swap your weapons to swap your skills.

But...
You can swap your build around when the hell you like for more variety
It doesn't have stupid downed state.
  Vapors

Hard Core Member

5/07/13 4:51:07 PM#14
Originally posted by maddog15a

Its skill system is a mix of Mabinogi and GW2.  It trys to get away saying there are no levels but the truth is its a hidden stat based on player's gear and skills.  Its not too instanced, but most of the missions take place in instances.  As far as on rails, no but each zone is geared for different level ranges.  So you wont be freely exploring as much as you will be finishing the quest from zone to zone to zone.

The world design and atmosphere is where the game really shines and really is the only mmo and game at this time for that matter that delves you into the various modern myths and conspiracies of this age. 

I dont see the combination of skill system, which is similar to gw2. GW2 offers fixed skills for the few weapons you have in this game. while there you have 505 skills you can choose or something lol

Krytycal

Novice Member

5/16/13 5:34:17 PM#15

The game is most similar to MxO.

The skill wheel (skill tree in MxO) allows you to be anything you'd like to be. You can unlock all the skills, but only have a limited amount equipped. The game also has a modern day setting, three factions and weapons (rifles, pistols, fists) which were similar to MxO. 

In terms of actual combat, it most resembles GW2.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 5:36:48 PM#16
City of heroes

But its closed
  Sulaa

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 10:23:42 PM#17

Cutscenized, instanced & wtih strong single playe 'vibe'  like Swtor.

Limited (at one time) equippable amount of skills like in GW2.

Lore / theme - no comparision.

End-game - mostly  instanced dungeons and small RvR / battleground PVP. Preety standard modern themepark.

tank017

Novice Member

5/16/13 10:26:56 PM#18

it has only a few similarities to other MMO's

its a themepark,it has your standard instances,battle ground type pvp.Other than that, it is one of a kind.

Skooma2

Hard Core Member

5/16/13 10:35:33 PM#19
Originally posted by tank017

its a themepark,it has your standard instances,battle ground type pvp.Other than that, it is one of a kind.

And, ironically, there is a fun, family-friendly theme park in the 2nd map.   Be sure to bring the kids.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Mulli

Novice Member

5/17/13 4:34:50 AM#20
Originally posted by Skooma2
Originally posted by tank017

And, ironically, there is a fun, family-friendly theme park in the 2nd map.   Be sure to bring the kids.

That's just cruel

2 Pages 1 2 » Search