Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,800 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,611
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » I want to hug these guys who made TSW

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Instigator-Jones

Novice Member

5/02/13 6:55:48 PM#21
$&@#%*!!!
I watched this game develop with great interest and then let my enthusiasm die because of all the negativity. Now I'm getting hooked again! Sigh... My Gals gonna kill me if I install TSW, mostly because she'll want to play too, and atm she thinks we spread ourselves too thin over the MMO's we already play... Doh! I just can't help it! *hits Download
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

5/02/13 7:05:05 PM#22
Originally posted by MindTrigger
Originally posted by bobm111

yep. was a very fun game to do until ql10 and main storyline.

but after that standing in argatha to raid elite and forward was just to much elitism and demand to have certain gear and dps etc that i just left it at that.

But enjoed the trip there!

bobm111

That's the problem with this game... zero horizontal play.  Once you get up into the story and start raiding, you are basically done.  It just becomes a treadmill of dungeons for gear.  

So much potential wasted, IMO.  This game should be an RPG dream game, but instead it's just a themepark that you burn through quickly.  There are a million good ideas to make this game more of a hybrid themepark / sandbox, but so far all we got is the theater no one uses.

Yep, I'm taking it really slow and easy because when I hit that wall then I'm done.  I've noticed that is one thing designers can't let go of.  Neverwinter does this too.  There is this fun D&D thing and then, bam, you're grinding on the gear treadmill in dungeons and raids.  Unfortunately most games seem to do this.

Curse you AquaScum!

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

5/03/13 2:53:13 PM#23
Originally posted by Ortwig
Originally posted by DavisFlight
Originally posted by ScubaSteve34
Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.

If you want an MMO, don't get this.

It's a singleplayer game, through and through.

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

5/03/13 3:10:36 PM#24

I totally disagree, the starting area was so simple and bland it bored me to death.I tired to go on but the next few areas where the exact same thing.There is no adventuring,no open end game  play in the start,you are playing a single player game and not a very good one at that.

They could have created a large headquarters to start in,you meet your boss and get your orders/mission.Instead they magically start you out as some underground spy or something and no clue how you got there.No need for looking around,there is only basically one or two very small paths,so goto your npc,click it and move to the next zone.

IMO it should start off like a GTFA game,a large open ended city,not these scripted puny maps.

The only effort they put into the starting area was to make the game super easy to play,actually i don't call it playing if they hand hold you directly to the objective.

Almost every big title i can think of ,starts you in a an area that shows a lot of effort went into it,aside from Wow.

The hand holding design was a complete turn off for me,add to that the boring maps and linear design,i could not fathom more than an hour of game play.I didn't even think twice,i deleted it soon i got out.

I am sure the game gets better if i went a lot further,but it is not the job of a developer to bore me first,they need to grab the audience.It's like watching a movie,if it starts out real boring and slow,i am turning it off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

Ortwig

Hard Core Member

5/03/13 3:26:49 PM#25
Can i ask what you enjoy so much? Im debating on getting this MMO or not, since its on sale. Im just trying to find out from a few people with active subs, what they enjoy and what they hate about the game.

I guess all those dungeons, the lairs, the raids, the chat, the PvP, the grouping were all a figment of my imagination...  ;)  Scuba, here's a good article the sums up pretty well why folks like the game:

How many people can you have per dungeon? (hint, not many, certainly not a massive amount)

Is a chat room now an MMO? Does this make Bioshock an MMO because I can open up a chat room on Steam with other Bioshock players?

And the grouping, you know, the same grouping mechanics that games like Diablo and Titan's Quest have, which are NOT MMOs?

The entire design of this game is an instanced, phased, linear, singleplayer quest game, with some optional multiplayer tacked on.

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Ortwig

Hard Core Member

5/03/13 3:44:28 PM#26

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

5/03/13 4:27:37 PM#27

Hmmm, so only games with 40-man raids are MMOs, eh?  I think there's a thread somewhere else on these forums for that....  Ah.  Here you go; if you hurry, you can be post number 1,856:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263753/The-Group-Play-vs-Solo-Play-in-an-MMO-Thread.html

Only games that actually focus on the massively multiplayer part of MMORPG are MMORPGs.

And no, 40 man raids are incredibly small.

tank017

Novice Member

5/03/13 4:42:49 PM#28

I think TSW is the game Funcom hit the bullseye with.(for me anyway)

I wanted to love Anarchy Online so bad,but the huge lag spikes,major and numerous bugs kept me from doing so.

AoC just doesnt 'do it for me'.I could never get absorbed into the game and enjoy it.Plus,when the game launched it was like the equivilant of falling off a cliff once you left tortage.

But TSW is solid.Great story,puts your brain to work,minimal bugs and an awesome theme and atmosphere.

I love it.

tank017

Novice Member

5/03/13 4:53:30 PM#29
Originally posted by tank017

I think TSW is the game Funcom hit the bullseye with.(for me anyway)

I wanted to love Anarchy Online so bad,but the huge lag spikes,major and numerous bugs kept me from doing so.

AoC just doesnt 'do it for me'.I could never get absorbed into the game and enjoy it.Plus,when the game launched it was like the equivilant of falling off a cliff once you left tortage.

But TSW is solid.Great story,puts your brain to work,minimal bugs and an awesome theme and atmosphere.

I love it.

Too bad about that whole lackluster multiplayer part. Kind of important in a massively multiplayer game.

This would have made a much better singleplayer game.

I'd say its as multiplayer friendly as any of todays MMO's.

Ortwig

Hard Core Member

5/03/13 5:40:45 PM#30

Only games that actually focus on the massively multiplayer part of MMORPG are MMORPGs.

And no, 40 man raids are incredibly small.

There are better places for MMORPG Definition Wars.  Like here:

2 Pages « 1 2 Search