Trending Games | ArcheAge | Neverwinter | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,822,768 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,217,145
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » TSW, is it open world or instance based?

10 posts found
  Fiveous

Novice Member

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

OP  3/13/13 8:51:25 AM#1
Is this game isntance based or open world? 
  BeansnBread

Hard Core Member

3/13/13 8:53:43 AM#2
It's highly instanced with zones. The zones are very large and interesting though which is nice.

SWTOR is the greatest mmo ever!

sacredfool

Advanced Member

3/13/13 8:53:58 AM#3
instanced

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Torcip

Advanced Member

3/13/13 9:02:34 AM#4
Instanced, but it's zones are larger than most  and they are filled with about 100 times more detail than any MMO i've seen.
  Shadin

Novice Member

3/13/13 9:04:45 AM#5
Originally posted by colddog04
It's highly instanced with zones. The zones are very large and interesting though which is nice.

This.

DMKano

Elite Member

3/13/13 9:07:45 AM#6
Originally posted by Fiveous
Is this game isntance based or open world? 

Its both because they are not mutually exclusive.

True instanced game is path of exile, every time you leave a town you are in your own instance.

True open world is the traditional shard design, where all players on the same shard play exclusively together, and each play area has only one instance per shard.

So tsw is instanced, but it is also open world as tsw uses one server technology, there are no true shards, they are just a starting point for your character as soon as you log in you are dynamically placed in instances based on load.

If you are familiar with EQ2 imagine if you could hop from zone instance of one server to any other servers instance of the same zone - that's what tsw does. When you change instances in tsw you are actually changing shards, where in EQ2 multiple instances exist on the same shard.

So in tsw you can group with anybody from any server, while in EQ2 you can only group with players on the same shard.

Scalpless

Apprentice Member

3/13/13 9:27:33 AM#7

Open world = can go anywhere you want.

Instanced = players are grouped into copies of an area and you can only see the members of your group.

Zoned = there are loading screens between areas.

DawnDark

Novice Member

3/15/13 4:16:18 AM#8

I think the technology that The Secret World is using should be called auto-sharding.

Because it is Open World game-play seperated in huge zones. And it automatically shards you with a large number of people inside the open world.

What most people call instances also exists in the secret world, certain missions takes you into an instance on your own or with your team. Most content plays in the open world though.

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

3/15/13 6:09:49 AM#9
  • 8 large zones with loading screens
  • 3 cities with loading screens
  • 1 cross-dimension zone (Agartha)
  • Instanced dungeons, raid
  • Small, instanced mission solo areas (sporadic)
  • Grouping across dimensions (aka "servers")
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

3/15/13 6:22:48 AM#10
Originally posted by Ortwig
  • 8 large zones with loading screens
  • 3 cities with loading screens
  • 1 cross-dimension zone (Agartha)
  • Instanced dungeons, raid
  • Small, instanced mission solo areas (sporadic)
  • Grouping across dimensions (aka "servers")

Accurate description, and you'd really have to stretch the definition of "open world" pretty far  to consider this title as being one.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon