Trending Games | ArcheAge | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Firefall

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,824,446 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,217,580
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Is this game for me?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

2/10/13 8:11:01 AM#21

I am not fan of story driven mmorpg's,puzzles,voice acting & cut scenes in an mmo,I am not FC fan(played only AO) but still enjoying in TSW ,not bored, still making new in game friendships,exploring zones,still surprised with missed side missions on fields

I has 800+ hours playing TSW...and still playing...love universe,world,gameplay...Everyone can find something interesting for self in this secret world.

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

fallenlords

Novice Member

2/10/13 12:04:08 PM#22
Originally posted by Ortwig

For those who actually want to understand combat, here's good primer: 

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

See that is what is wrong with the game, you need a whole article to just get a basic understanding of the combat aspects.   I want to play a game, not study it... If it can't show me how things are done through normal gameplay it has some serious flaws. 

I can see now why it appeals to the elitist type of MMO player.  They don't like fun so much as being able to work out the mathematical calculation of what weapons, equipment and perks will deal the most damage if it's a full moon, they are standing on one leg, facing west etc. The fun part is in trying to understand why their exact calculations are not adding up in the damage numbers being displayed on screen.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

2/10/13 12:10:23 PM#23
Yes but some people like theory crafting. To me this is one of tsw great strengths, although I'm not playing it due to instance grinding endgame, I did really enjoy messing about with builds and having content that was hard. Most modern mmos are too easy, you hardly ever die.
  Rayshe

Novice Member

2/10/13 12:22:48 PM#24
Originally posted by fallenlords

See that is what is wrong with the game, you need a whole article to just get a basic understanding of the combat aspects.   I want to play a game, not study it... If it can't show me how things are done through normal gameplay it has some serious flaws. 

I can see now why it appeals to the elitist type of MMO player.  They don't like fun so much as being able to work out the mathematical calculation of what weapons, equipment and perks will deal the most damage if it's a full moon, they are standing on one leg, facing west etc. The fun part is in trying to understand why their exact calculations are not adding up in the damage numbers being displayed on screen.

See fallen that makes games like WoW perfect for you, There is no thinking just playing with your total of 9 skill points to use.

Personally i love TSW, and has become one of the Best MMO's ive ever played. The game allows you to play what you want. There are always going to be the optimumal build that everyone runs to for max DPS but you dont actually have to. Make the character you want to play and play it.

Also im confused at whoever said that magic was the way to go and holding a shotgun was as good as holding a Hotdog. Sorry to let you in on this but for ranged DPS the top 3 are Shotgun-Pistol, AR-Shotgun, and AR-Elemental. Melee is a different story but we are still hammering out Melee builds to figure out whats going on with them. They do more DPS, however getting that close to a boss is a death sentance. So successfully surviving a fight like that takes alot of practice.

TSW is a good game that is growing, the game will never stop growing monthly content updates that are more than just afew more fetch quests. When they add content they are expanding the story and making you learn more about whats going on. Issue 5 cause a big development that i wont spoil here.

EDIT - Ah thought of more, Dungeons go by ranking Normal-Elite-Nightmare. Normals are basically a first step into the fight teaching you some of the basics on what to do. Elite is when you get your gear to Quality level 10, and with it they add some more mechanics and abit of health. Nightmare is a ton of mechanics and a instant kill if you get hit with ANYTHING as a DPS and sometimes a instant kill if you get hit as the tank.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

2/10/13 1:10:51 PM#25
Originally posted by Rayshe
Originally posted by fallenlords

See fallen that makes games like WoW perfect for you, There is no thinking just playing with your total of 9 skill points to use.

The beauty of it is that you CAN just take a pre-made (starter) deck or one of the many cookie cutter builds folks post on the forums and go without any theorycrafting at all.  The only problem with that is that you may not understand the strengths and weaknesses of a particular deck, and at some point you'll get your butt handed to you.  This is typically the point when new players say WTF, and ask why it is happening (typically when they get to Blue Mountain, where the game tests your build.)  A few tweaks to the build and a better understanding of decks, and players are off to the races again.  

And as far as the theorycrafting goes, you can take it as far as you like.  I personally don't get out spreadsheets or anything, but I will search through the Conditions to see what's available and experiment with some to see how they play out.  Others goes whole hog into min/maxing.  There's definitely room for different levels of deck building.

By the way, I haven't encountered any elitist jerks in game (I'm sure there are a few), but everyone I've run into has been very patient and helpful in explaining how things work.  It really is a good community.

fallenlords

Novice Member

2/10/13 5:32:54 PM#26
Originally posted by Rayshe

Yeah WoW is my level, love the game nothing wrong with WoW at all.  In fact I would of played it a lot sooner if the Funcom AOC crew hadn't consistently told me how bad it was, which was just sour grapes.

As for the hotdog - that was me.  What I meant was, guns have kick, need ammo and reloading. Might as well be holding a hotdog in my hand as a shotgun or pistols in TSW because none of that is relevant etc.  Would of actually been more fun.   'The Hotdog of Death' ... ' The Bagel of Combustion' ... 'The Pretzel of Pain' ...
  ashleymorrow

Novice Member

2/12/13 7:42:27 AM#27

I play both, and both are great games. GW2 is by far more relaxing. TSW has more flavor. 

Don't worry about all the theory crafting, at least at first. Follow a beginner deck build and learn from there. You are not going to get a handle on the mechanics in one day, so just relax and enjoy.

And if it gets to be too much, go back to GW2 for a while, that is what I do.

Scalpless

Apprentice Member

2/12/13 7:51:14 AM#28

TSW is not a game focused on exploration. Sure, there's some and the areas you visit are beautiful in their own way, but they're also quite small and everything that matters is easy to find. Combat is not as polished as GW2's, but there's more customization invloved.

I'd say buy it. It's a unique games that's actually more similar to GW1 than it is to GW2. Besides, it's almost too cheap nowadays.

ashleymorrow

Novice Member

2/12/13 7:58:27 AM#29
Originally posted by Scalpless

Besides, it's almost too cheap nowadays.

Unless you love the clothes :)

User Deleted
2/12/13 8:10:21 AM#30
Originally posted by tomis16

Hey guys

I'm planning to buy TSW next week, but I'd like to hear actual players about the current status of the game first. I'm currently having fun with GW2 (which, to me, it's a nice game, not the revelation of the MMOs of course, but a nice game anyway, I have 120+ hours and i'm still enjoying it), and I wanted this one to play aswell since I really like the lore and the setting of the game, since i'm a little bit bored of Fantasy-themed MMOs, been playing them for a while.

I really enjoy PVE, and I kinda like the gear-grinding thing like WoW for example (I like the satisfaction of getting a hard earned new piece of gear lol). Crafting is not something I love, neither I hate. And I play some PVP from time to time, just for the fun of it, nothing too serious.  I love to get lost in a immersive world (that's what I love about GW2). And I love true open world. So, is this game for me? What about the current state of the game? And is the open world nice? The combat? 

Thanks in advice for anyone willing to help me!

If you want an immersive open world then no, it's not for you. The zones feel quite limited and boxed in. However the quests are quite immersive and fun. The dungeons are fun for a while, and its fun to play with the skill sets.  But yeah, if open world / exploration is your focus then TSW is quite lacking.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search