Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | H1Z1 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,852,050 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,602
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » New and full of questions!

12 posts found
  Gonsu

Novice Member

OP  1/06/13 6:10:17 PM#1

Hello fellow TSW players.

Im gonna check this game out, gotta say it looks alittle unique compared to the rest.

Apparently i gotta order the game to be able to create an account so im not yet allowed to user their forums, so ill give it a shot here first :]

I got some questions, would appreciate it alot if anyone could answer them all :]

1. Max level?

2. Are you able to see every available quest to pick up for your current level? (incase your goal is to eventually complete them all)

3. What happens to a quest if you dont pick it up when time is right, and instead you level up 30 levels or so, would it disappear or you can always go back and get the ones you missed?

4. Is there a way to see the total quest progress in this game? (where all quests are included?) etc 40/5950 completed , or somthing familiar to that. Just so you have a clue of what you are able to do and have missed so far.

5. Is it possible to reset skills/stats/ and more? Techniqually everything except your level?  (so you dont have to start over if you accidently do somthing bad :p)

6. Currently Largest server & Newest server ?

7. Which class in this game is most likely nearest the typical mage class? (needs their distance between the foe, casting powerful spells, weak in def, but huge dps etc.

8. Are there builds for such class? (recommended and serious ones, link any great site for such thing)

9. Will there be any character wipes from here on?

10. Is it possible to maximize one of the following weapons? Lets say i want to use guns, so i only focus on traits and skills into that one, will this make me less weak if i use a sword all of sudden? I dont think i fully understand when it comes to.. finding your own path, hopefully i will soon.

11. Might be a dumb question, but their "December offer" is still written on their page, is it still active? If i buy the game from the site, ill get rewarded by a flying pet, leather jacket and high ended beginner weapons?

Otherwise ill just order it from any store near by.

Thats all, appreciate answers as soon as possible!

Thanks!

Pale_Fire

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 6:26:36 PM#2
Originally posted by Gonsu

Im gonna check this game out, gotta say it looks alittle unique compared to the rest.

Apparently i gotta order the game to be able to create an account so im not yet allowed to user their forums, so ill give it a shot here first :]

I got some questions, would appreciate it alot if anyone could answer them all :]

1. Max level?

No levels, technically.  It's skill based.   

2. Are you able to see every available quest to pick up for your current level? (incase your goal is to eventually complete them all)

You have to visit the quest givers to see what quests are available.  You can see the quests you can take and others that are locked until you meet the requirement.  There some quests you can pick up that are lying around in the zone you are in.

3. What happens to a quest if you dont pick it up when time is right, and instead you level up 30 levels or so, would it disappear or you can always go back and get the ones you missed?

No, the quests stay and many are repeatable. 

4. Is there a way to see the total quest progress in this game? (where all quests are included?) etc 40/5950 completed , or somthing familiar to that. Just so you have a clue of what you are able to do and have missed so far.

Sort of.  There are achievements that will give you some of that information.  Mostly, that information would be displayed on the achievement description.  However, I don't think it gives specifics.  I think you get the achievement if you complete  a certain number of type of quests in a zone.

5. Is it possible to reset skills/stats/ and more? Techniqually everything except your level?  (so you dont have to start over if you accidently do somthing bad :p)

No. However, you can't really screw up your character.  All skills are open to you.  It's just a matter of investing points in a new weapon if you want to change.  AP (points to spend on skills) are pretty easy to get.  Especially since you can repeat most quests.

No idea.

7. Which class in this game is most likely nearest the typical mage class? (needs their distance between the foe, casting powerful spells, weak in def, but huge dps etc.

Chaos Magic, Elemental Magic and Blood Magic are the skills that are occult based.  No classes.

8. Are there builds for such class? (recommended and serious ones, link any great site for such thing)

There are probably thousands of builds.  I would encourage experimenting.  The game also provides some builds you can work toward, but I find they are not as good as what I can put together.

Nope. 

10. Is it possible to maximize one of the following weapons? Lets say i want to use guns, so i only focus on traits and skills into that one, will this make me less weak if i use a sword all of sudden? I dont think i fully understand when it comes to.. finding your own path, hopefully i will soon.

Each weapon has many skills you can choose from.  You can equip two weapons and use them at the same time.  You'll find, however, that you will pick up passive skills from weapon lines you don't use because they can also benefit you. 

11. Might be a dumb question, but their "December offer" is still written on their page, is it still active? If i buy the game from the site, ill get rewarded by a flying pet, leather jacket and high ended beginner weapons?

No idea.  Sorry.

Thanks!

See my responses.  There's really a lot more to the game than my brief answers.  It's worth checking out the wiki as well.

UngoHumungo

Apprentice Member

I'm here......wheres the fish?

1/06/13 6:31:46 PM#3

1. Max level?

There is no level the game is gear driven.  You obtain stat points through XP, you may spend you stat points on weapon and talisman skills which determine what QL item you may equip.  Also every ability and passive in the game is able to obtained by one character this allows you to mix and match to find a play style all of your own

You can see most every quest but some require that you do other quests first or faction rank to obtain

There are no levels even if you complete a quest it is put on a timer and you may go back and do it again, however some quests may only be completed once

No clue

Nope the ultimate goal is to have everything maxed

Again No clue

Elemental or blood magic

They have builds called decks implemented into the game but ultimately I hink everyone builds there own

Not likely

Nope like I said before the big goal is to have everything maxed

Not likely

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

Gonsu

Novice Member

OP  1/06/13 6:32:59 PM#4

Thanks alot for answers! , im gonna order this game right away!

So the quests will be shown on map , like icons like most mmorpgs, but do i have to get near the quest giver for it to become visible on map? So i gotta have to run around searching etc?

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 6:42:36 PM#5

1. Max level?

TSW has no levels or classes, and you can learn every skill, ability and weapon in the game.  Gear does play a rough guide to "level", and there exists QL (quality level) 1 thru 10.5

You can take any mission at any time, and missions will not be hidden from you, even if they are very difficult.  They will tell you if they are easy, normal, hard, devastating, etc.  At any one time, you can have 1 main story mission, 1 dungeon mission, 1 main mission and 3 side missions.  Main missions are of 3 types: action, investigation and sabotage.  You do need to complete the main story quest to move on to a new zone, but other than that there is no limitation on quests.

Yes, you can always drop a mission, and return to it later (just go back to the mission giver).  You can replace a  main or side mission by picking another one up -- it will simply pause the mission where you left off.  

You will see a list of all the missions you have taken (with tiers), lore and exploration within your log, but it will not tell you of missions you have not picked up yet.  I believe there is an addon that will tell you all the missions in an area.

You may want to read this thread over -- it explains a great deal about how the ability and decks work: 

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64032  You won't typically need to respec or reroll.

You can group across servers, so usually not necessary to worry about which server you are on.  Arcadia and Leviathan are RP servers 

There are no classes in TSW (you can learn all the abilities), though there are 3 magic tracks: chaos magic, blood magic and elemental magic. You can certainly start off with 2 magic tracks to start, but eventually as you progress you will learn every weapon and ability in the game.  You may want to look over this primer on building "decks:" 

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

Read that link above, it will explain alot!

No.

Yep, you can learn every weapon, but it's best to focus on your initial two to start.

I believe the initiate pack is still active.  People buying the game this weekend are still getting it.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard -- answers above!  Feel free to ask more.  :)

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 6:46:43 PM#6

So the quests will be shown on map , like icons like most mmorpgs, but do i have to get near the quest giver for it to become visible on map? So i gotta have to run around searching etc?

There is an icon that shows where vendors and notable personalities are on the map, and that's generally a good guide to where you can pick up missions.  You won't need to return to the mission giver to turn in the mission (you do that will your cell phone typically), so it's more of  breadcrumb patten than a hub and return.  You stumble on sidequests out in the world, and they are typically tucked away or near other areas where you may be questing or exploring.

dancingstar

Hard Core Member

1/07/13 12:26:30 AM#7

The NPCs who give you "main missions" are shown on the map as icons which are visible as soon as you enter a zone.

Side missions, you have to find. Some are obvious and placed near to the NPCs who start main missions, others are placed more or less conspicuously near the end of main missions and lead you back to the original mission NPC, or to another one in a different part of the map, still others are hidden in out of the way places (under bridges, in combination-locked safes, in apparently insignificant caves) & you have to explore a little to find them.

Gonsu

Novice Member

OP  1/07/13 8:00:35 AM#8

Thanks for info, got another question.

In the Video settings,  Anti-Alias quality, i can choose between.

FXAA 

FXAA HQ

TXAA 2X

TXAA 4X

If i choose Ultra, it automaticly sets to FXAA only, which one of these is simply the best? HQ or 4X?

I want to max out everything possible.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/07/13 8:59:11 AM#9
Txaa is nvidias own is way aa.

Basicly you've got 3 types of aa
Post processing blur the whole screen aa, like consoles use,which is fxaa and uses least resources

Actually calculate aa in real time as you draw the graphics which is ssaa and uses the most resources.

And then with newer cards and even software use a post processing injector which applies the aa blur a bit more smartly than fxaa giving a look between fxaa and ssaa. With nvidia this is txaa, with AMD it is mlaa, there is also a third type that works from software that looks better and is card I independent but you need an injector on a game by game basis, forget what it is, but bf3 uses it.
  Gonsu

Novice Member

OP  1/07/13 9:01:42 AM#10
So the best for me would be TXAA 4X?
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/07/13 9:03:54 AM#11
Mxaa software injector just remembered, dont think there's one for tsw though.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

1/07/13 9:05:49 AM#12
If you have nvidia card yes gonsu.

One of my peeves with tsw, they don't turn on mlaa for AMD users.