Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,600 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,911
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » How should I put out my points to become a hybrid?

8 posts found
  Kanyl

Apprentice Member

"Toss me!"

OP  12/21/12 4:47:01 PM#1

Just got into the game and I am very thrilled about it right now! Still, I want some kind of guidance with my spec, so I can have some goals without feeling that I am doing wrong. I basicly want a hybrid build, that is very good in both damage and healing. But I don't know which weapon I should start with, where I should put my first point and also the others, to get this good hybrid build in a near future.

I want to be a good damage dealer right from the start, so it's easy for me to complete quests and so on. It should also be a fun spec! But the main requirement, is that I can go as a powerful healer, if I want to group up or do some "dungeons" and so forth! AKA = be good in both dps and healing!

Any tip or suggestion, about which path I should take? I am very lost right now and before I am comfortable enough to make my own builds, I do need some help!

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

GwapoJosh

Hard Core Member

12/21/12 4:52:03 PM#2

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

Ortwig

Apprentice Member

12/21/12 4:54:55 PM#3
Originally posted by Kanyl

Just got into the game and I am very thrilled about it right now! Still, I want some kind of guidance with my spec, so I can have some goals without feeling that I am doing wrong. I basicly want a hybrid build, that is very good in both damage and healing. But I don't know which weapon I should start with, where I should put my first point and also the others, to get this good hybrid build in a near future.

I want to be a good damage dealer right from the start, so it's easy for me to complete quests and so on. It should also be a fun spec! But the main requirement, is that I can go as a powerful healer, if I want to group up or do some "dungeons" and so forth! AKA = be good in both dps and healing!

Any tip or suggestion, about which path I should take? I am very lost right now and before I am comfortable enough to make my own builds, I do need some help!

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

These are a coupler ver good primers.  Because you can do anything you want, it might be best to start with one of the pre-made decks (see the left of the ability wheel), just to get a handle on how the abilities in the deck work.  

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

Also a good primer for the mindset of doing builds in TSW:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64032

Feel free to post in teh Newcomers section -- lots of helpful folks over there!

Po_gg

Elite Member

12/21/12 5:19:09 PM#4

+1 to previous fellow players, those are great links.

I personally used to start with shotgun+fist with my toons, it's aoe short range dps (shotgun) and heal (fist) with the inner ring. I found it has a pretty good flow in Kingsmouth, where you mostly face 3-5 mobs at a time.

But as the others (and links) said, TSW's one novelty (among many others) is that you can not doing wrong, or wreck your build, or have to retrain, etc. Sooner or later you will unlock the whole wheel, so you can't put AP's on a "wrong" place.

At first it can be quite overwhelming the endless possibilites, that's why FC put the Decks in there. So if you're clueless in the beginning, you can always pick a Deck and use that until you are more familiar with the abilities, and then you can start tweaking it to your playstyle.

Kanyl

Apprentice Member

"Toss me!"

OP  12/22/12 11:33:43 AM#5
Thank you all so much! Feels much better now and I should have done some more research on the website, but yeah yeah! Hope you all have a nice weekend! :)
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/22/12 11:41:20 AM#6
You don't need to spec hybrid. You can reallocate your skills at any time.

Say you go something like shotguns / fists. You can collect 2 sets if gear, one a healing set the other a mix of say 2/3 dps 1/3 tank gear. You could then slot a build based around blasts wearing the dps/tank set that you use for solo and a build based around heals and the shotgun buffs wearing the heal set that you wear in dungeons.

Try not to think of one build to rule them all, you can have multiple builds and switch them when you like. Infact as you get further into the game you will have to change your build around as certain mobs are immune to impair, affliction etc..

Even with two heal weapons you can run a dps build e.g. blood and fists would let you run both a good impair build and a good afflict build.
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

12/22/12 11:45:05 AM#7
Another good pairing is fists / chaos. With that you can.

Have a tanky aoe heal build - great for pvp
Have an aoe damage build - great for leveling mob packs
Have an impair based damage build - great for individual tougher mobs and pvp.
Have a self passive trickle heal tanking build - great for dungeons
Have a healing build with a nice side of crowd control - again great for dungeons.
  Kanyl

Apprentice Member

"Toss me!"

OP  12/22/12 1:49:11 PM#8

I am going for Yokai's advice, because after reading the whole article, it does feel like a good and fun combination!

Yes but what would Yokai do?

Well, for what its worth, I've tested nearly everything with a fully unlocked ability wheel and Skill 10 in all weapons. I'll definitely be launching with:

• Blade/Rifle for my character, also keeping Pistol skilled up not too far behind. My duo partner will be launching with Elemental/Blood on her character.
  • If I encounter "spare" SP along the way to Skill 10 in Blade/Rifle and Pistol, I'll be putting any such extra SP into Chaos. Not necessarily for dungeon/lair tanking, but for PvP (Blade/Chaos).
  • Only after Blade, Rifle, Pistol, and Chaos are at Skill 10 will I start branching out horizontally.

Can you tell I really like Blades?

• Matador and Crimson Theatre plus Shadow Play for nice Defense buffs
  • Brandish plus Brandishing Support for a nice 25% ward for 2.5 seconds, plus another Defense buff.
  • Lots of juicy Penetration buffs (and Penetration-oriented actives like Clearing the Path and Delicate Strike plus Delicate Precision are just right up my alley.
Thanks for all the advice, but I think this will fit me very well! :)