Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Wasteland 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,203 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,316
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » How can lifetimers get back at Funcom?

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search
192 posts found
  therain93

Advanced Member

"Racing to endgame is like racing to the end of your vacation."

12/13/12 9:03:42 PM#141
Originally posted by dancingstar
Originally posted by therain93

I don't play TSW, but this is a bit like the City of Heroes Freedom model....and it seems like people don't fully get it, just like when CoH went to that hybrid pay model.

People have already pointed out that benefits of the lifetime sub, most notably the monthly stipend and the discount you get to use in the store -- that alone is makes it a great deal. 

BUT, the other benefit of B2P is that, even with no sub, Funcom has eliminated what might be a huge barrier to entry, especially at gifting times like right now.  How does that beneft lifetime subbers?  Well, the reality is that a lifetime subber is going to likely be there forever and regular subbers will eventually leave, meaning the lifetimers would have a dwindling group of people to play with.  Eliminating the sub eliminates a reason why people will stop playing the game.  Assuming the quality of the game is decent, then lifetimers will likely have a larger pool of people to play with and if they have a larger pool of people to play with, then they'll likely stick around....and buy more cash shop items....  Everyone basically benefits, including those that don't want to make an investment in a subscription.

I didn't play CoH past the starting zones (after F2P), but as far as I can tell -- no. Specifically I logged out and uninstalled after having the cash shop pretty much thrown in my face at the end of the tutorial instance. But in that game I recall a large number of character creation options, both in terms of appearance and archetypes / powers being locked behind cash shop unlocks or quasi-subs. Perhaps someone can correct me on this.

Your other points I largely agree with. I am saddened that this game has not managed to sell enough copies & retain enough players to continue on the original model, but I am not raging against FC (if it ends up like LOTRO another six months down the line I may well change my position, of course . . .) or making comical threats of legal action.

It doesn't so much matter now, given the game was closed (and this wouldn't be the ideal forum for it), but the amount that was behind the cash shop versus what was availalble free in game was relatively small.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

12/13/12 9:40:20 PM#142
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Kuppa
Originally posted by Ortwig

Plain silliness -- lifers are making out best of all. Go read the FAQ.  Carefully, this time:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789

They are among the current tiers. But compared to what lifers would get before the transition I'm not sure that is right. But, buying a lifetime is a risk after all.

It's not even close kuppa, you know this. 

Lifers are getting over like a fat rat now.

edit - are you kidding me. I should almost report you for trolling :p ;)

before - 

• Full Content of the Master Pack
  • Life time subscription (For perspective the price of this pack is worth 13.3 months of game time)
  • Exclusive Snake Skin Jacket (In-Game Item) 
  • ALL CONTENT IS FREE
after - 
  • Every month Grandmaster accounts will receive $10 worth of Bonus Points. These points are valid for 6 months and can be used towards any Item Store purchase. IT CAN ALSO BE USED TOWARDS THE NEW DLC CONTENT WHICH IS NOT FREE.
  • Every month Grandmaster accounts will receive the Item-of-the-month: a special gift to all Membership accounts to the game.
  • As a Grandmaster you receive a permanent item: The Time Accelerator. This item is available to all your characters and increases your experience gain by 100% for one hour and has a 16 hour cool-down!

This has been beaten to dead already, but look at what you forgot.

DarkVagabond

Advanced Member

12/13/12 9:43:34 PM#143

You all touched a FUNCOM product and you actually thought a LIFETIME sub was safe.

Neither of these things have been good ideas in five years.

Maybe you won't do it again.

TheSedated

Novice Member

12/13/12 10:04:19 PM#144
Originally posted by DarkVagabond

You all touched a FUNCOM product and you actually thought a LIFETIME sub was safe.

Neither of these things have been good ideas in five years.

Maybe you won't do it again.

And maybe you won't touch a thread about a product of a company again on which you seem to hold a grudge or something. Most of the lifetime subscribers are quite happy with the things they get after B2P conversion and most of them are quite happy with the game. Even if it is a funcom product. Or maybe because it is one. Have you ever touched a funcom product? I guess the answer will be AoC and you're one of the (at least it feels like) 15 millions on the internet who got screwed by funcom 5 years ago and are still mad...

Seriously, if Funcom still gets so much hate for AoC, I really wonder how EA is able to sell a single copy of a game today...

Jakdstripper

Apprentice Member

12/13/12 10:13:39 PM#145
personally i would find out where Funcom headquarters are (Drammensveien 167 0277 Oslo, Norway), buy a plane ticket (http://www.lowestfare.com/), wait for the first guy to walk out of the front door and, while pointing at a picture of Anders Breivik, ask him if he has seen Ole Shereiner....
  Betakodo

Apprentice Member

12/13/12 10:15:07 PM#146
Gather as much people as you can and start a riot in town. Have people cram into one area, spam chat, open all their inventory/character pages, spam their twitter, youtube and facebook accounts.
  pmcubed

Novice Member

12/13/12 10:22:09 PM#147

Literally every MMO that offered some kind of lifetime sub has went F2P.

Lifetime subscriptions are a gimmick to get a larger one time revenue increase.  MMO's evolve and change (especially if people don't like the game) so quickly, it is a VERY bad investment to ever consider a lifetime subscription to any MMO - no matter what kind of "fluff" you receive for doing so.

Sorry man, I just think you need to think before you buy kinda deal.

EDIT:  In fact, any lawyer you talk to will say the same.

Deewe

Novice Member

12/13/12 10:32:25 PM#148

Seems to me FUNCOM gesture is quite fair.

You get something every month and even rebates on the cash shop.

Unless you aren't planning to play the game long term you would loose money requesting a refund.

Johnie-Marz

Novice Member

12/13/12 10:39:53 PM#149

Because their numbers aren't what they hoped, they had a choice:

Close the game OR change the subscription model.

How is closing the game better for those with lifetime subscriptions???

Under B2P you can play the game plus get 10 dollars a month worth of points to buy things.

Under closing the game, you get nothing.

Ambros123

Novice Member

12/13/12 11:06:41 PM#150
Anyone stupid enough to buy a lifetime sub deserves what they got, this goes for any lifetime sub regardless of the game.  Lifetime subs are a gamble, just like stocks.  If the stocks you invested in plummet then you got no one to blame but yourself. 
  TalulaRose

Apprentice Member

12/13/12 11:17:01 PM#151
Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Because their numbers aren't what they hoped, they had a choice:

Close the game OR change the subscription model.

How is closing the game better for those with lifetime subscriptions???

Under B2P you can play the game plus get 10 dollars a month worth of points to buy things.

Under closing the game, you get nothing.

Not Really true.

The previously free updates are now going to cost between $5 - $10

You get $10 worth of points that can only be used in the TSW cash shop and ecpire in 6 months.

Some months the Issue will cost $10 so you end up with no free points. You get nothing.

Other months you will be left with up to $5 worth of points depending no how much the Issue costs.

As a non-sub customer you can buy more points and they don't expire.

Non GM pack owners are better off. Get more for their dollar, no expiry.

Wolferider

Novice Member

12/13/12 11:30:46 PM#152

I have a lifetime account and I feel the compensation is adequate.    I was spending money each month on buying clothing in the store and now I don't  have to.  I'm actually saving money now that they went this route.

User Deleted
12/13/12 11:37:13 PM#153
This is the OP's second thread encouraging retaliation against Funcom.  He ignores the fact that TSW is selling a ton of copies right now and new life is flowing into a dying game.  It's obvious he'd rather see his "Lifetime" sub go down with the ship instead of seeing the game find a healthy playerbase.
  chrodo

Novice Member

12/14/12 12:13:05 AM#154

Got the life time sub , haddn't been on for some time , was up-dating when I read it was going BTP , read what lifers get cheacked out the priceing in the market , and I don't feel cheated at all , Im very happy with the changes I will know use the market as before I wasn't and one free item a month say at an average of 200 FC coins , tally how much all that would cost you I'd say that were better off than before .

this means that I will be back on a lot more often wich will help server numbers wich can only be a good thing for the game.

GW2 know has a rivel for my limited time on line with a young family.(Im shore I won't be the only one).

DanitaKusor

Apprentice Member

12/14/12 2:09:21 AM#155
I bought the lifetime sub to play the game for as long as it's around without having to worry about a sub.  As far as I'm concerned I'm still getting that and Funcom has thrown in 1200 points a month to spend on stuff and a free item a month as well.  I like my Mayan headdress... but it would be nicer if I had some clothes to go with it.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Lizardone

Novice Member

12/15/12 2:17:04 PM#156
I don't understand why there are people out there that are still buying lifetime subs from Funcom. Actually, lifetime subs these days are worthless as MMOs these days are going F2P/B2P. It's not a brainer.
  birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

12/15/12 2:20:43 PM#157
Originally posted by Lizardone
I don't understand why there are people out there that are still buying lifetime subs from Funcom. Actually, lifetime subs these days are worthless as MMOs these days are going F2P/B2P. It's not a brainer.

As I've stated in another post, they are either not thinking properly, or are like me, who want to support the developer with a one-time easy payment.

MyTabbycat

Apprentice Member

12/15/12 6:00:04 PM#158
This is the reason why I never lifetime sub to any MMO game.
  erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

12/15/12 6:01:48 PM#159
Originally posted by birdycephon

As I've stated in another post, they are either not thinking properly, or are like me, who want to support the developer with a one-time easy payment.

You do realize that all content packs going forward you will have to pay for even lifetimers. 

birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

12/15/12 6:04:54 PM#160
Originally posted by erictlewis
Originally posted by birdycephon

You do realize that all content packs going forward you will have to pay for even lifetimers. 

Lol no.

With 1,200 points monthly, I think I can afford all the content.

10 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Search