Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,114 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,557
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Paid DLC = Pay to win?

12 posts found
  ihaveabu

Novice Member

OP  12/12/12 6:03:01 PM#1

I bought The Secret World on launch day and canceled my sub because I didn't have enough time to play.

Now that it's B2P, I'll be back to hop on when I have time.

The only concern I have is the way they're handling future DLC. It makes sense to pay $5 for DLC updates, but if I don't, will that mean my gear is not as strong as someone who did?

Don't really think this is that big of a deal tho, since the story and atmosphere is worth it for me already. But curious nonetheless.

Rayshe

Novice Member

12/12/12 6:04:15 PM#2

Not really they have already said they are still doing monthly updates, The DLC will be something different all togeather.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

12/12/12 6:04:47 PM#3

Paid expansions in P2P games = P2W?

I would say yes to both, but then pretty much any game is pay to win in my book and I don't care.

Curse you AquaScum!

lunarwitch00

Novice Member

12/12/12 6:07:20 PM#4

game is no longer p2p

its b2p

either way

moreless content will be charged from now on

think dcuo

cronius77

Advanced Member

12/12/12 6:08:46 PM#5
the game is now buy to play so paying for downloaded content packs is how they will make their money. I dont know how anyone can argue its pay to win when they have a much less shadier system than swtor or a lot of other item shop centric games now out. If anything I applaud funcom for not doing it like swtor and actually following guild wars 2 lead instead.
  dancingstar

Hard Core Member

12/12/12 6:14:58 PM#6

Paid DLC will, far as I can tell from what's been said so far, be the new form of the mission content of the "issues." Hence no more "pay to win" than paid content expansions in sub or buy-to-play games that have sold them, difference being that instead of a large chunk of content including several new zones with quests, instances, &c., every year or so we'll be getting content in smaller chunks more frequently.

Everyone playing the game, regardless of sub status, will get the part of the update which includes bug fixes, skill buffs / nerfs / barfs, "fluff" like new clothes vendors (another pair added to the Tube station in 1.5), the tatooist if / when it finally opens in Seoul, &c. 

One possible question is with the auxilliary weapons, whether the mission needed to unlock future ones will be counted as part of the paid DLC for the "issue" in question, there is some hope that this will not be the case but I guess we'll see when the full issue #5 hits Live.

Rayshe

Novice Member

12/12/12 6:16:19 PM#7

New Content for the Future

Periodically we will release packs of DLC (Downloadable Content). These updates, called Issues in The Secret World, contain new content, such as more Auxiliary Weapons, new missions and story arcs. These packs are fully optional and can be purchased normally or for the Bonus Points that are included in the optional Membership, as well as with the Grandmaster Lifetime service.

The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of issue #5. This will sell for $5, however this content is already fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012.

Regular patches with free content and updates and enhancements to the core game will still continue.

Posted this in other threads aswell. key on the last line.

Also this is from the Main website i can add a link if needed.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

ChromeBallz

Advanced Member

12/13/12 4:20:57 AM#8

TSW is, as far as i can tell, not really about a gear grind in the first place but about customization. The game is not about a gear grind like WoW or other games like it, but about the story, missions and unlocking more skills. You don't grind for gear, but ability points.

Playing: EVE
Played (more than 1 month): WoW, Tera, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL, GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH, STO, TSW
Tried (trial, up to 1 month): EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG

muffins89

Novice Member

12/13/12 4:21:59 AM#9
Originally posted by ihaveabu

I bought The Secret World on launch day and canceled my sub because I didn't have enough time to play.

The only concern I have is the way they're handling future DLC. It makes sense to pay $5 for DLC updates, but if I don't, will that mean my gear is not as strong as someone who did?

Don't really think this is that big of a deal tho, since the story and atmosphere is worth it for me already. But curious nonetheless.

what are you going to win?

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

Elsabolts

Advanced Member

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of those that would threaten It

12/13/12 4:25:07 AM#10

Has anyone asked the question " How are they gonna put out new content if they are laying off folks and company romured to be up for sale. " Funcom is very good at not being up front with folks.

Rimmersman

Advanced Member

12/13/12 4:33:18 AM#11

Threads like this just go to show that many of the gamers really dont want to pay  a cent, they really expect it all for free. The game is B2P now and patches and certain updates will be free but some DLC will not be free.

How the feck is that pay to win, it's actually pathetic how a lot of MMOs gamers think MMOs should all be free. MMOs are not single player games, you dont buy the game once and the devs start making the next installment.

MMOs are in a way a living, they need constant attention and funding.

Seems to me some of you need to smoke less, eat less,  get high less and perhaps paying for DLC wont seem like the end of the world.

Oh and if you havent got a job then that might be a good idea, part time ,full time or if you are young then get a freaking paper round.

Derros

Advanced Member

12/13/12 4:39:12 AM#12
Originally posted by Elsabolts

Has anyone asked the question " How are they gonna put out new content if they are laying off folks and company romured to be up for sale. " Funcom is very good at not being up front with folks.

As best they can? /shrug, not gonna cost me anything if they dont get the content out, so I'm not worrying about it.