Trending Games | Wizard101 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Continent of the Ninth Seal | Magerealm

Facebook Twitter YouTube Twitch.tv
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,995,853 Users Online:0
Games:836  Posts:6,460,271
Funcom | Official Site
MMORPG | Setting:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » The Secret World or The Secret Rip-Off?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
67 posts found
  Akulas

Hard Core Member

12/06/12 2:46:40 AM#61
I got bent over paying for the box + sub. $150. I feel like I felt when I bought Vanguard for the full original price. Got my MMORPG shirt there for nothing though. Guess if you want to pay more to look how you want than do so but yeah it's a rip off pretty much.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

eyelolled

Hard Core Member

I am more than some of my parts

12/06/12 3:04:38 AM#62
it's a rip off, but it's the only thing they can do to keep afloat.  I just hope that the other companies, that will still be alive in 2013, start to realize how many people are not buying because of the costs and don't adopt this ludicrus revenue model.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

Siug

Apprentice Member

12/06/12 3:36:43 AM#63
Playing TSW since headstart and so far it's the only released MMO currently worth playing for me. It has it's faults of course but which game doesn't. Speaking of cash shop - one day I noticed that FC has given me some bonus points to spend and there wasn't nothing in CS I actually wanted. Bought a dog, some cloths and spent the rest on chinese fireworks. You don't have to buy bag or bank slots from CS, actually there's nothing even remotedly important in it.
  Zinzan

Advanced Member

12/06/12 4:01:32 AM#64

It's not a rip-off, but a subscription should allow access to everything the game has to offer, restricting this and making loyal subscribers pay extra for things is poor. They tried to copy WoW's formula in this respect but WoW has been established for years, TSW has not and this is where they failed.

Couple this with the fact you still have to buy the original game and the significant lack of long-term content and decent pvp and it's just too steep for most people.

As others have said, TSW's storyline is great, the world they have sculpted is great and the atmosphere and lore is also great, but the game has limited appeal, very limited appeal. For a box price + high-end sub + cash shop I expect a LOT more.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

fallenlords

Novice Member

12/07/12 5:17:33 AM#65
The way it should work is simple,  everything should be available to a paying subscriber within the game.  A shop should allow you to buy in-game items as a shortcut to gathering, crafting etc.   If you have anything in the shop that is not available to the subscriber, even fluff, then you shouldn't be charging a sub.  What it boils down to is you are paying a sub but not getting the whole game which just isn't fair.  If the shop allows you to shortcut something, then that's a choice you can decide to make. 
  Vannor

Advanced Member

12/07/12 5:24:45 AM#66

Who cares about the crappy clothes in the cash shop?

Got serious issues if you'd rather dress up an avatar in normal true-to-life clothing when you could be dressing yourself in them instead.

I played this all the way through and probably had over a hundred clothing items from the missions, ingame currency stores and such... didn't cost anything extra.

If you can't say no to a shiny in a cash shop, get help.. If for some reason you have to have everything on offer, get help.. don't blame the game.

fallenlords

Novice Member

12/07/12 6:14:23 AM#67
Depends on the intent of the developer.   If they are doing it to enrich your gaming experience then fair enough.   In this instance I doubt that is the intent of Funcom.  I would term it more cash grabbing and it tends to comes in two forms.  The greedy... EA for example, and the needy... such as THQ.   Funcom I think is a mixture of both, needy and greedy.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search