Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,385 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,247,030
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » General Discussion » Funcom Quarter 3 2012 report

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
75 posts found
  atuerstar

Apprentice Member

11/26/12 5:25:40 PM#61

After the Black Friday sales and other current sales intiatives, and the large influx from City Of Heroes shutdown at the end of this month you may see that the fourth quarter will paint a rather different picture. We are also picking up players that were recently chagrined by Guild Wars 2.

Then there is the upcoming tokyo zone which should generate an interesting buzz from the asian gamers. This may indeed be part of "refining the business model" for all we know.

Im not giving up yet, no matter how much the "Paint it Black" crowd want to have a big cry. I still feel it was the best release this year and will continue to support it.

Vorthanion

Hard Core Member

11/26/12 5:40:27 PM#62
Everyone screams for more hardcore games and that is pretty much what Funcom gives them, yet they are still tanking.  Either the hardcore niche isn't sustainable or they have to make them with much less overhead.

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/26/12 6:39:30 PM#63
Originally posted by Vorthanion
Everyone screams for more hardcore games and that is pretty much what Funcom gives them, yet they are still tanking.  Either the hardcore niche isn't sustainable or they have to make them with much less overhead.

Lol the game is not hard at all. Those investigative missions are interesting but not hard. It only seems hard.
  lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/26/12 7:36:39 PM#64

Originally posted by JKwervo

Lol the game is not hard at all. Those investigative missions are interesting but not hard. It only seems hard.

If someone thinks, "These missions seem hard", that pretty much means the missions are hard. Just sayin'.

"Different" doesn't always mean "Better". Just because TSW is different from other MMORPG out right now doesn't mean it's the thing that many people are looking for. I think they did a good job reaching the game's target incarnation. I think their target incarnation was off though. It targets a niche audience that is really small. Like...people who read books about conspiracies and mysteries, but who also play video games and who are into urban fantasy...but not really urban fantasy...more urban spiritual mystery. Or something. I can't even isolate a genre for the game's content. I like it, but I don't think a lot of people are going to get into the game and think to themselves, "This is IT!"

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

grimal

Spotlight Poster

11/26/12 7:40:05 PM#65

Some of those missions are hard.  That is, if you don't google the answer.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

bcbully

Elite Member

11/26/12 8:26:07 PM#66
Originally posted by Kuppa

Yes, they will have positive numbers compared to a quarter with no new game releases this is pretty easy to understand but VERY naive to think that's the whole story. Even FC acknowledges that this will drop in the next quarter and will likely continue to drop in 2013. 

In fact the report is not only about how things are doing at this very moment, which it is positive cashflow, but it also projects to how things will be, which is not positive cashflow. Why do you ignore those?

Not sure what you added by adding some other text for some of the quotes, they still paint the same grim picture.

Kupp the words you are choosing are not the same as the ones used. They said revenue would be less 4th qt this year as compared to 4th qt last year. No where did they say they expect revenue to drop. Those are your words. 

The report is not all roses, it's disappointing,  but it's not what you are trying to make it be. 

When I eat chocolate chip pie it just doesn't feel like chocolate chip cookies. The texture, the consistency, it's just not the same and this is disappointing.

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/26/12 8:27:09 PM#67
Lol no they're not. But difficulty is subjective. :) to me, its an easy game.
  TalulaRose

Apprentice Member

11/26/12 8:32:51 PM#68

What led me to Guild Wars 2
General Discussion « Guild Wars 2

9/07/12 11:54:57 AM

I was a nomadic player. But Guild Wars 2 has definitely hooked me and I have explained it on my blog. :D

http://adoboblognetwork.com/

It just has everything I've ever looked for in a MMO.

Shelvinarr

Novice Member

11/26/12 8:35:29 PM#69
So what you're saying is the birthday gift I got containing The Secret World was a wasted one? Hmm...guess I'll have to return it for the 30.00 US someone spent on it.
  Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

11/27/12 9:53:17 AM#70
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Kuppa

Yes, they will have positive numbers compared to a quarter with no new game releases this is pretty easy to understand but VERY naive to think that's the whole story. Even FC acknowledges that this will drop in the next quarter and will likely continue to drop in 2013. 

In fact the report is not only about how things are doing at this very moment, which it is positive cashflow, but it also projects to how things will be, which is not positive cashflow. Why do you ignore those?

Not sure what you added by adding some other text for some of the quotes, they still paint the same grim picture.

Kupp the words you are choosing are not the same as the ones used. They said revenue would be less 4th qt this year as compared to 4th qt last year. No where did they say they expect revenue to drop. Those are your words. 

The report is not all roses, it's disappointing,  but it's not what you are trying to make it be. 

"The Company expects revenues for 4Q 2012 to be lower than in 3Q 2012 due to lower sales of The Secret World."

Their words, not mine.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/27/12 10:18:58 AM#71

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the company could go private, and no longer be a publicly traded company. I don't know how likely this is, and I don't know that they'd survive such a transition intact, but being private would allow them to do some things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to do as a public company.

For instance, going B2P would probably tank the company stock to 0. Their only income is from subscriptions. They would take a huge hit unless and until they could get a lot of people to make an initial purchase. That huge hit prevents them from doing anything that drastic.

Meh. It's possible, but unlikely.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

11/27/12 10:29:35 AM#72
Originally posted by lizardbones

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the company could go private, and no longer be a publicly traded company. I don't know how likely this is, and I don't know that they'd survive such a transition intact, but being private would allow them to do some things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to do as a public company.

For instance, going B2P would probably tank the company stock to 0. Their only income is from subscriptions. They would take a huge hit unless and until they could get a lot of people to make an initial purchase. That huge hit prevents them from doing anything that drastic.

Meh. It's possible, but unlikely.

They'd go bankrupt just buying out the investors. You don't get to "just go private" once you are a publically traded company with a Board of Directors and beholden to investors without paying a huge price.

And the only reason they can claim the games are "cashflow positive" is because of the mass layoffs they did with their restructuring. AO no longer has a Game Director and lost one of it's longest and most valued devs, Kintaii. AoC and TSW dev staff were both cut to bare minimum.

FC is at the bottom of the proverbial barrel, and it's about to go over Niagra.

Edit: And of course there's this: http://www.funcom.com/investors/func...c_alternatives

For those wondering, GP Bullhound is a merger and acquisitions firm.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

JKwervo

Novice Member

11/27/12 10:37:51 AM#73
Originally posted by TalulaRose

What led me to Guild Wars 2
General Discussion « Guild Wars 2

9/07/12 11:54:57 AM

I was a nomadic player. But Guild Wars 2 has definitely hooked me and I have explained it on my blog. :D

http://adoboblognetwork.com/

It just has everything I've ever looked for in a MMO.

Lol your point? I enjoy GW2 more than I did TSW. :) suffice to say, I still played it and have opinions on it that I love sharing with all of you. :)
  Zinzan

Advanced Member

11/27/12 10:51:32 AM#74
Originally posted by atuerstar

After the Black Friday sales and other current sales intiatives, and the large influx from City Of Heroes shutdown at the end of this month you may see that the fourth quarter will paint a rather different picture. We are also picking up players that were recently chagrined by Guild Wars 2.

Then there is the upcoming tokyo zone which should generate an interesting buzz from the asian gamers. This may indeed be part of "refining the business model" for all we know.

Im not giving up yet, no matter how much the "Paint it Black" crowd want to have a big cry. I still feel it was the best release this year and will continue to support it.

Your clutching at straws.

TSW should arguably never have been a MMO, as a single player co-op game it would have done far better imo. It's too linear.

TSW should never have had a top-end sub, it can't be justified.

FC should never have tried to mik the cow from both ends, subs + cash shop = epic fail unless your one of the few who can pull it off (WOW).

FC promised the earth and delivered a marble.

FC got greedy and it is rapidly killing their game.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Azrile

Advanced Member

11/30/12 7:44:12 PM#75

TSW failed because of AOC.

There were simply too many people who refused to buy a funcom game on day 1.  A lot of people were going to wait a month or two to read real player reviews.  But within that time, the big news we got was that they were firing half their devs, including the vision guy.

If Funcom hadn´t of ruined their reputation, more people would have jumped into the game on day one and saved those dev jobs.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search