Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Shards | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,505 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,718
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » I'm just glad to have a new mmo that doesn't disappoint

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
25 posts found
  moreblahblah

Novice Member

OP  6/25/12 9:03:02 AM#1

Does it have some flaws? Sure it does, the CC leaves a bit to be desired however the fact you have thousands of clothing articles to wear teands to make up for this, no longer wll you have everyone running around looking the same. Besides Funcom have committed to revamping the CC and allowing character created to obtain what you might call plastic surgery.

The PvP in the game is top notch, enough said.

Ability wheel is full of depth and will keep you thinking for a long time to come.

The missions are full of interest and difficulty. No more face rolling!

Combat and animations while still needing a bit of work (something Funcom has also commited to) are imersive and often times reflect the power of your combat.

Overall a solid 9 out of 10. 

SlickShoes

Novice Member

6/25/12 9:11:06 AM#2

The PvP is bog standard in my opinion. Agree with everything else you said though apart from the lackluster character creator should have been fixed ages ago and shouldn't need a retro fix since its the first thing you do in game.

The game is pretty enjoyable but not worth £12.99 a month, if it were buy2play with a cash shop I would be all over it but these days there are plenty of games I can fill my time with and not pay 44% per month more than any other sub based game operating in the UK.

Four0Six

Hard Core Member

6/25/12 9:20:25 AM#3

It does disappoint, me atleast.

The flaw? The same one we see in all "MMO's" now: Solo, solo, solo, solo, then do a instance...now do that again.

I play MMOs for the group aspect, it adds a dymanic componant. But if the formula is one of solo solo, then do a group, I feel it is bleh.

Blacknd

Novice Member

6/25/12 4:14:10 PM#4
Originally posted by Four0Six

I play MMOs for the group aspect, it adds a dymanic componant. But if the formula is one of solo solo, then do a group, I feel it is bleh.

I hear this a lot, but what's stopping you from grouping to do the content? The main rewards are from sheer completion of the missions.

It's not like WoW at release where mob exp was so heavily diminished it was actually worse to do quest content in a group.

.. But in a good way.

Thorbrand

Novice Member

6/25/12 4:16:21 PM#5

The flaw? The same one we see in all "MMO's" now: Solo, solo, solo, solo, then do a instance...now do that again.

Well you can solo the first 2 zones but good luck after that. It becomes apparent that grouping is the intent. In any MMO if you are choosing to play solo you will always play solo.

angrymime

Novice Member

6/26/12 6:57:55 AM#6

Funcom got me to download their client with the free beta weekend.  Had nothing to play so I did it.  Man it sucked.  Even if Funcom has somehow brought in  new managment that doesn't blatantly lie to their customers trying to get them to sub for another month, I will never give them a dollar.  Never again.  And with this free beta weekend I can see that I am not missing a thing.

ChicagoCub

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:03:47 AM#7

I'm starting to get the distinct impression that these type of posts reflect an attempt by the OP's to convince themselves rather than the rest of us.

DaezAster

Advanced Member

6/26/12 7:06:30 AM#8

Well I for one was not impressed my first bwe but after getting over that and not expecting much I gave it another go this past bwe and was able to enjoy the game a lot. I guess I got over it's short comings and got into it's redeeming qualities.

I will treat this game like a resident evil or silent hill mmo, both of which are games that dont have the most amazing combat but are still great experiences. So for me it will atleast hold me over till gw2....

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:08:37 AM#9
Originally posted by Thorbrand

Well you can solo the first 2 zones but good luck after that. It becomes apparent that grouping is the intent. In any MMO if you are choosing to play solo you will always play solo.

I have played in the closed beta up until the first zone in Egypt, and there is no need to group up. There isn't any need to solo either. You can play the game just like you want. You will probably get xp faster if you group up, since you get full quest xp reward and combat goes a lot faster.

GTwander

Novice Member

LARPer Hunter

6/26/12 7:10:41 AM#10
Originally posted by Blacknd

I hear this a lot, but what's stopping you from grouping to do the content?

Probably all the other players that simply *won't* because coordinating will just slow them down.

Fact of the matter is (when it comes to grouping), people will only do it when the content is something they can't handle alone - or - the speed of progression is somehow faster if they do. Look at FFXI's lack of grouping now that there are easier/faster ways of leveling than hunting mobs way higher in level than you whie grouped.

~I have personal friends I game with, and if the content is soloable, then that's how we end up doing it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

DaezAster

Advanced Member

6/26/12 7:11:43 AM#11
Originally posted by Blackbrrd

I have played in the closed beta up until the first zone in Egypt, and there is no need to group up. There isn't any need to solo either. You can play the game just like you want. You will probably get xp faster if you group up, since you get full quest xp reward and combat goes a lot faster.

Hey Blackbrrd can we share missions in this game as group and get credit? If so do all group members have to accept said mission first? Thanks....

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:12:55 AM#12

I am actually pleasently surprised when it comes to how good the game have become. I liked it in closed beta back in April, but it's a lot better now. The amount of dditional features and revamps of things like the crafting system is really appreciated. It's not a game for everybody, which is apparent from the posts above, but it has delivered what they set out to deliver.

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:13:34 AM#13
Originally posted by DaezAster

Hey Blackbrrd can we share missions in this game as group and get credit? If so do all group members have to accept said mission first? Thanks....

You can drag-and-drop missions between players, so sharing is pretty simple. ;)

SlickShoes

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:14:30 AM#14
Originally posted by DaezAster
Originally posted by Blackbrrd

you have to be on the same mission obviously and also on the same part of the mission, since most are broken up in to multiple parts I found it difficuly to find someone that was on the exact same stage as me on any mission.

Also many missions have solo instances, other players can't enter these with you at all you each will have to do it solo and regroup afterwards.

TomBaker_fan

Novice Member

6/26/12 7:14:40 AM#15
Originally posted by moreblahblah

Does it have some flaws? Sure it does, the CC leaves a bit to be desired however the fact you have thousands of clothing articles to wear teands to make up for this, no longer wll you have everyone running around looking the same. Besides Funcom have committed to revamping the CC and allowing character created to obtain what you might call plastic surgery.

Ability wheel is full of depth and will keep you thinking for a long time to come.

Combat and animations while still needing a bit of work (something Funcom has also commited to) are imersive and often times reflect the power of your combat.

Be careful, people here hate when anyone is positive about anything.

User Deleted
6/26/12 7:15:32 AM#16
Originally posted by ChicagoCub

I'm starting to get the distinct impression that these type of posts reflect an attempt by the OP's to convince themselves rather than the rest of us.

Maybe, but if it's true, then GW2, PS2 and AA  fans for example, are really desperate about their games.

User Deleted
6/26/12 7:17:02 AM#17
Originally posted by TomBaker_fan
Originally posted by moreblahblah

Be careful, people here hate when anyone is positive about anything.

Overly positive is bad.

1.Character creator sucks...but will be fixed..at some point?

2. PvP...suppose that's personal opinion, nothing new here.

3. Missions are indeed pretty darn good.

4. Combat and animations need work.

Note:OP said those things, yet gave it 9/10.

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

6/26/12 7:22:14 AM#18

Think I enjoyed every bit of the beta for this game was not elt down at all.. and i was suprised...

Are there issues? a few nothing game braking thats for sure..

The main thing for me is that I was having fun and thats somthing that no Themepark game has been able to do for me since Age of Conan.. I got bored pretty fast testing GW2 as it just felt so familiar..(not saying its a bad game btw)..

So im happy to be buying and subbing to this game as fun is the most important thing :)

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

DanitaKusor

Advanced Member

6/26/12 7:32:35 AM#19

MMOs + group content don't really mix now days.  I for one don't want to spend all my time sitting around trying to get a group all the time, that was the one of the worst things about SW:TOR in the later levels.  All that group content and no way to do because no one was doing it.

I like solo content, but I also like the social aspect of MMOs where I can chat and communicate with people around the world in my game.  That works for me, and I'm not alone in this, I would suggest that most MMO players aren't that different to me nowdays.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Aceundor

Novice Member

Why do I keep reading these forums?

6/26/12 7:53:26 AM#20

I have always played this way. All the way back to vanilla wow. Guess I am one of the casuals that ruins it for the 1337 locust

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search