Trending Games | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | EVE Online | Landmark | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,312 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,629
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
52 posts found
  SpottyGekko

Elite Member

OP  6/17/12 4:30:21 PM#1

Entirely my own opinion of course, but this BWE was the first time I've REALLY had fun in a "new" MMO in a long time :D

The setting is refreshingly different, and the fact that you actually have to engage more than one braincell makes doing quests satisfying. My head is still reeling from the possible number of skill combos, and designing my playdecks will keep me amused for  quite a while.

But TSW is going to be a shock for a lot of people. Watching the "Player Help" channel made that quite clear. A great many players seem to have trouble finding their quest objectives, mainly because the objectives are often only marked by a general target area on the map. You have to search for the actual thing that needs to be clicked. And that "clicky" only lights-up when you're really close to it. It's a fun and engaging system to some, but many will find it tedious and frustrating.

If you like your combat mixed with puzzles and slower-paced gameplay (no instant travel once you're in a zone, and no mounts(?)), you will probably enjoy TSW. But if you lack patience, stay away.

I haven't played any GW2 BWE's, but I have watched quite a few of the videos, and in many ways TSW gameplay seems to be the complete opposite of GW2. That's why I'll be playing TSW, not because one is "better" than the other, but because one is exactly what I want :D

Sovrath

Elite Member

6/17/12 4:32:44 PM#2

I have to say that even though the avatars feel a bit stiff, the game is very fun. I only got to play 20 minutes at pax east and now I've played about an hour during this beta but I think for the right audience it will be an enjoyable experience.

For people who don't like cut scenes or story or the larger meta game that they want to intertwine with the game, they will find the game lacking.

manus

Novice Member

6/17/12 4:38:25 PM#3

same feeling for me, TSW is just refreshing.

Aceundor

Novice Member

Why do I keep reading these forums?

6/18/12 7:00:45 AM#4

agree - it is a breath of fresh air. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

6/18/12 8:02:30 AM#5
One played both gw2 and tsw betas, its annoying we are getting 2 good mmos the same year. (well 3 if planetside2 makes it) I would have loved one of these to be out a few months back when were in the era if sub par wow clones with a gimmick.
  pwain

Apprentice Member

6/19/12 7:22:01 AM#6
Originally posted by manus

same feeling for me, TSW is just refreshing.

I feel the same way

Aethaeryn

Advanced Member

6/19/12 7:27:22 AM#7

I also found the game very refreshing. . should be good for me for at least 2 months.  I am not being sarcastic either.  That would be the longest I have lasted in one game for about 2 years.   I also found Mortal Online refreshing though :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

BartDaCat

Apprentice Member

Gamer Forums, where "First World Problems" are our specialty!

6/19/12 7:47:25 AM#8

I'm a little worried that it's releasing in just a few short weeks, but after this last BWE I have to say my interest in this game has really increased... a LOT!

I really liked playing around with the skill sets, I LOVED the freedom to create a hybrid build completely of my own design, and some of the multi-step questlines were actually a lot of fun (e.g. the advance quest to gather security cameras from around town, gradually leading into an instance where you have to shut off booby trapped laser grids to obtain the last camera--  very cool!  )

There are some concerns.  Beta weekend events seem like a hokey way for game companies to lure you into a false sense of security without offering you a full picture of what condition the game's really going to be in as a finished product. 

There was a fairly sizable list of "known issues" on the official forums, and I'm a little concerned about how many of those won't be fixed prior to launch, and how many may be problematic after the game is released.

Still, The Secret World had a lot more depth than I expected it to have, and once I found my bearings and gathered more AP and SP, I really liked the freedom I had to play the way I wanted to.

Inugami-San

Novice Member

6/20/12 5:21:56 AM#9

I also enjoied the beta weekends, but I'm so looking forward to play the final game

I want to find out more about the Storyline and all what happened to the world ^^

twholm

Novice Member

6/20/12 4:39:57 PM#10

Already pre-ordered - cant wait! ;D

DanitaKusor

Advanced Member

6/23/12 8:03:44 AM#11

Just did the first faction mission (faction rank 6 you get it) and that was a quite fun.  I'm sure the new illuminati players were wondering what I was up to.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Siug

Hard Core Member

6/23/12 8:12:33 AM#12

With a heavy heart I deleted TSW yesterday evening to keep everything fresh for next week when it releases. I never clicked to AoC but Funcome made a pleasant surprise with TSW at least for me. I really like TSW and really hope it keeps me playing for long time.

EvilGeek

Advanced Member

My freedom relies on yours

6/23/12 8:22:13 AM#13

I've been in the CB for the last couple of weeks and have to say loving it, been impressed with the speed of patching for CB, they are really working hard on this one. Really pleased to hear so many people are enjoying the PvP side of it too this beta weekend.

I'm not playing much, fiftieth birthday coming up so celebrating with mates is eating my time in a very nice way and I don't want to spoil it too much come release :)

A refreshing change, loving the lore and the way the game commits to getting you involved in it, makes the world feel like a world, the fourth pillar of story is far more successful in TSW than SWTOR for me (I'm sure there will be those that disagree), but it connects you to the world rather than takes you out of it. Loving the skill system, still a little on the fence about crafting but it at least provides useful items.

Definitely will keep me happy until GW2 releases and if I'm still enjoying it then I've got two games to enjoy, that feeling has been a rarity for quite a while. Good year for my gaming needs :)

Siug

Hard Core Member

6/23/12 8:30:47 AM#14
Originally posted by EvilGeek

Definitely will keep me happy until GW2 releases and if I'm still enjoying it then I've got two games to enjoy, that feeling has been a rarity for quite a while. Good year for my gaming needs :)

Yup it's been a very long time since there were more than one playable MMO or any playable MMO at all  Seems like water is stirring in a reeking and stagnant pond called MMO industry.

effiluna

Novice Member

6/23/12 10:22:56 AM#15

The enthusiasm in this thread is intoxicating!  So happy you're all so excited for launch.  We are too!

Effiluna
Funcom Community Manager
(Twitter)(Official Forums)

User Deleted
6/23/12 10:37:51 AM#16

Fresh and refreshing seem a bit overused in this thread. It's like a meme or trend is trying to be started...

It's nice that the adventure/ARG stuff is incorporated into an MMO, if you are in to that sort of thing. You can avoid it as far as I can tell. 

I personally found the game wasn't for me, and as I learned from Rift, being able to tweak my characters skills is a fun thought exercise but it doesn't make combat that much more fun. (for me).

EvilGeek

Advanced Member

My freedom relies on yours

6/23/12 10:42:24 AM#17

Originally posted by effiluna
The enthusiasm in this thread is entoxicating!  So happy you're all so excited for launch.  We are too!

Welcome to the forums effiluna :)

(just a heads up - it's intoxicating not entoxicating unless you like making up words *grin*)

effiluna

Novice Member

6/23/12 10:51:28 AM#18
Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by effiluna
The enthusiasm in this thread is entoxicating!  So happy you're all so excited for launch.  We are too!

Welcome to the forums effiluna :)

(just a heads up - it's intoxicating not entoxicating unless you like making up words *grin*)

Fixed!  Thanks for the heads up and the welcome!  Definitely time for my morning coffee. :D

Effiluna
Funcom Community Manager
(Twitter)(Official Forums)

DaezAster

Novice Member

6/23/12 11:05:44 AM#19

Kudos to you guy's at funcom, This build is def much better feeling.  I'm also enjoying illuminati more than I did the templar I played a couple bwe's back. 

Faulkner

Novice Member

“The wise speak only of what they know.”J.R.R. Tolkien

6/23/12 11:14:24 AM#20

I have pre-ordered and can not wait to officially get started.  I do like the complexity of it and the setting is different from any otehr mmo I have played!

Cheers,

Faulkner

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search