Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,839 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,588
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Real Life | Status:Final  (rel 07/03/12)  | Pub:Funcom
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$30.00 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Secret World Forum » Beta Reviews & Impressions [ARCHIVED] » The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
143 posts found
  RizelStar

Advanced Member

We all breathe and we all die.

5/12/12 11:28:03 AM#81
Originally posted by Kuppa

The game does have some originality but I don't think it has more complexity than other MMOs. I believe their story telling is original and the game has a specific "feel" to it that makes it original to me.

My biggest gripes with the game are the atmosphere and the fact that if feels like a single player RPG. Ive read some initial impressions of folks saying the game feels very detailed and "alive". To me it felt like walking around a wax museum with some background music and sounds. NPCs felt very static and they didn't do much and the world felt really staged and definately not "alive". 

The other problem was the fact that I saw no reason to group up and like many MMOs released folk just run around doing their own thing and you prefer to be alone at a quest location rather than having someone else killing the mobs you have to kill.

Pluses were the cutscenes and story overall, way better than TOR for me. The skill wheel was pretty cool and combat was ok but the animations need a lot of work and it felt a bit uninspired. I also like the fact that there isn't really something that feels like a quest hub, at least they disguise it better.

Overall I was pleseantly surprised, but I doubt I would pay a sub for it. Rather, I would like to buy the box like a single player RPG.

If I never tried out the *other* MMO coming out this year, I wouldn't have notice your gripes Kuppa, but I did :(

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

5/12/12 11:36:26 AM#82
Originally posted by RizelStar

The game does have some originality but I don't think it has more complexity than other MMOs. I believe their story telling is original and the game has a specific "feel" to it that makes it original to me.

My biggest gripes with the game are the atmosphere and the fact that if feels like a single player RPG. Ive read some initial impressions of folks saying the game feels very detailed and "alive". To me it felt like walking around a wax museum with some background music and sounds. NPCs felt very static and they didn't do much and the world felt really staged and definately not "alive". 

The other problem was the fact that I saw no reason to group up and like many MMOs released folk just run around doing their own thing and you prefer to be alone at a quest location rather than having someone else killing the mobs you have to kill.

Pluses were the cutscenes and story overall, way better than TOR for me. The skill wheel was pretty cool and combat was ok but the animations need a lot of work and it felt a bit uninspired. I also like the fact that there isn't really something that feels like a quest hub, at least they disguise it better.

Overall I was pleseantly surprised, but I doubt I would pay a sub for it. Rather, I would like to buy the box like a single player RPG.

If I never tried out the *other* MMO coming out this year, I wouldn't have notice your gripes Kuppa, but I did :(

Exactly....the thing is that I feel that games like TSW and TOR which have good settings and focus a lot on story would benefit GREATLY from a great atmosphere and a more lively world. A game like Tera for example, doesn't feel like it needs that for me, because the focus of things in that game are different.

Xstatic912

Apprentice Member

5/14/12 2:27:16 PM#83
Well put kuppa..

That was always going to be the challenge when this game was first announce.. How do you get it to feel like an mmo and not single player rpg.. Guess the dev's were thinking, just add more players and the feeling of being an mmo would come automatically..

Tor had the same problem. but as others have stated be wary of Funcom
  Kuppa

Novice Member

The problem with censorship is ********

5/14/12 3:11:23 PM#84
Originally posted by Xstatic912
Well put kuppa..

That was always going to be the challenge when this game was first announce.. How do you get it to feel like an mmo and not single player rpg.. Guess the dev's were thinking, just add more players and the feeling of being an mmo would come automatically..

Its funny you mention that. Today I was watching the GT Invisible Walls podcast. They talked about TSW, keep in mind these guys are VERY console oriented and maiinstream. So its always interesting to see folks with different perspective talk about MMOs. At one point one of the guys mentioned the investigation quests that TSW has and how they added the ingame browser and all that. Then the other guy asked him how did they add interaction to those quest with other players....At this point I was a bit stumped, all of those cool investiation quests they have are really single player quests. At least the ones Ive played or heard of required no teamwork or more than one person to solve it. Sure, many will say you can ask other people or solve it with more than one person. But to me thats not by design but by personal choice which is not what MMOs should be about. An MMO should be designed to drive social interactions. I had not actually thought about it since us MMO gamers are very used to the solo part of things so much that we forget to ask....How does XYZ drive me to interact with others?

Lagoz

Novice Member

5/14/12 6:10:06 PM#85

Then again if the first zone of the game wouldn't be soloable people would go mad.

There's plenty of MMO in PvP/Dungeons/Raids.

There might even be more challenging missions in the following areas that are not meant as a welcoming to the game.

So much of this game is under NDA the speculations are really not going anywhere O-o

cooper85

Novice Member

6/10/12 1:44:12 PM#86

Compared to the thin design of the competition TSW depth  of systems and game world is winning.

Seilan

Hard Core Member

"Blue, blue."

6/11/12 2:36:38 AM#87

I haven't actually played TSW yet, but I've done a lot of reading and video watching, and so far I'm fairly impressed/excited from what I've seen. Luckily, I managed to snag a beta key from Nvidia during their promotion, and it's the first time in a long time that I've been looking forward to playing a new mmo.

To be honest, I haven't really kept up with mainstream titles for the past couple of years at least, and as such, I didn't really expect much when I started reading up on the game. I've got to hand it to Funcom though - out of most of the mainstream, big dog developers (Funcom still fits in that bracket... right?), it's surprising to see the level of innovation with some of the systems in the game. The skill system is intriguing to say the least, and the "deck building" style of gameplay (while it didn't particularly sit right with me at first) actually seems genuinely interesting once you learn more about it. Kind of reminds me of my Magic the Gathering days, where finding the best synergies and strategies for you deck meant the difference between a mighty victory or a crushing defeat.

Funcom (while dealing with some rocky launches and technical issues) gets my respect as being one of the few larger developers to try "breaking the mold" and earning themselves the title (in my mind) as the indie-minded developers of the mainstream. I really hope the game works out and develops, at the very least, a solid niche playerbase.

In all fairness though, I still haven't actually played the game yet, so this opinion is definitely subject to change. Here's hoping the beta weekend doesn't disappoint :).

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/11/12 6:03:00 AM#88
Originally posted by Xstatic912
Well put kuppa..

Its funny you mention that. Today I was watching the GT Invisible Walls podcast. They talked about TSW, keep in mind these guys are VERY console oriented and maiinstream. So its always interesting to see folks with different perspective talk about MMOs. At one point one of the guys mentioned the investigation quests that TSW has and how they added the ingame browser and all that. Then the other guy asked him how did they add interaction to those quest with other players....At this point I was a bit stumped, all of those cool investiation quests they have are really single player quests. At least the ones Ive played or heard of required no teamwork or more than one person to solve it. Sure, many will say you can ask other people or solve it with more than one person. But to me thats not by design but by personal choice which is not what MMOs should be about. An MMO should be designed to drive social interactions. I had not actually thought about it since us MMO gamers are very used to the solo part of things so much that we forget to ask....How does XYZ drive me to interact with others?

Actually TSW is designed in such a way that it's easier if you play the game with some friends instead of questing alone. Especially for the investigation quests, it's much easier not getting stuck.

I talked with two friends of mine and one of them said he was happy that the other friend of mine was there, because he was completely clueless when it came to investigation quests.

Personally, I have been questing alone, but the game is very much made in such a way that cooperation is something that adds to the gameplay, but at the same time it isn't forced.  To me, this is the best of both worlds. I ran into so hard quests occationally and teamed up with some randoms to finish those quests (and vice versa).

Blackbrrd

Novice Member

6/11/12 6:07:46 AM#89
Originally posted by alacres

I haven't actually played TSW yet, but I've done a lot of reading and video watching, and so far I'm fairly impressed/excited from what I've seen. Luckily, I managed to snag a beta key from Nvidia during their promotion, and it's the first time in a long time that I've been looking forward to playing a new mmo.

To be honest, I haven't really kept up with mainstream titles for the past couple of years at least, and as such, I didn't really expect much when I started reading up on the game. I've got to hand it to Funcom though - out of most of the mainstream, big dog developers (Funcom still fits in that bracket... right?), it's surprising to see the level of innovation with some of the systems in the game. The skill system is intriguing to say the least, and the "deck building" style of gameplay (while it didn't particularly sit right with me at first) actually seems genuinely interesting once you learn more about it. Kind of reminds me of my Magic the Gathering days, where finding the best synergies and strategies for you deck meant the difference between a mighty victory or a crushing defeat.

Funcom (while dealing with some rocky launches and technical issues) gets my respect as being one of the few larger developers to try "breaking the mold" and earning themselves the title (in my mind) as the indie-minded developers of the mainstream. I really hope the game works out and develops, at the very least, a solid niche playerbase.

In all fairness though, I still haven't actually played the game yet, so this opinion is definitely subject to change. Here's hoping the beta weekend doesn't disappoint :).

Personally, I think the start of TSW is a bit slow. If I had to give grades to the game over time, it would go something like:

• 30 min 5/10
  • 1 hour 6/10
  • 5 hours 7/10
  • 10 hours 8/10
  • 25 hours 9/10
Luckily, TSW is an MMO with several hundred hours of entertainment, so the overall impression is a 9/10 game in my eyes. The reason I give it low grades in the beginning hours is that it's too many cutscenes and the combat abilities are boring before you can build a proper deck. Once you get into the game, the quests and can actually make your own builds, it's brilliant. :)
  ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

6/11/12 6:56:31 AM#90
It's a different game, particularly the clever way the deck system is used to gate pve content rather than ever increasing tiers of gear. But its not the most complex mmo ever, that would easily be eve.

Moat complex themepark though, yeah probably.
  Seilan

Hard Core Member

"Blue, blue."

6/11/12 2:25:01 PM#91
Originally posted by Blackbrrd
Originally posted by alacres

Personally, I think the start of TSW is a bit slow. If I had to give grades to the game over time, it would go something like:

• 30 min 5/10
  • 1 hour 6/10
  • 5 hours 7/10
  • 10 hours 8/10
  • 25 hours 9/10
Luckily, TSW is an MMO with several hundred hours of entertainment, so the overall impression is a 9/10 game in my eyes. The reason I give it low grades in the beginning hours is that it's too many cutscenes and the combat abilities are boring before you can build a proper deck. Once you get into the game, the quests and can actually make your own builds, it's brilliant. :)

Heh, yeah, I was getting that impression after watching some of the new player videos. It shouldn't be a problem for me though; I'm used to things starting slow while progressively getting better. And from what I've learned so far, it will most likely be worth the wait.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

reanor

Novice Member

Ba-na-na!

6/14/12 2:38:36 PM#92

Originally posted by DaSpack
Ok the title of the thread is a statement from Gamer Wolff Bachner in the Inquisitr. Good read and he is deffinitely a fan. According to him TSW is a game changer... As in all MMOs will be different after TSW. Check it out.
'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

'I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. If you are a gamer, you want to play The Secret World'.
http://www.inquisitr.com/233552/the-hottest-mmorpgs-to-play-this-summer-the-secret-world/#ZTcMKqZ4IUvQTjk7.99

I must be playing a different game because I run into many many quests that tell me to go this place and then kill 37 zombies then go that place and kill 12 zombies, oh yeah names of mobs change that I've noticed too. Sarcasm aside he sounds like a fanboy. The combat is so boring its not even funny and I wish I've had to click 3 buttons on rotation, unfortunately I just click 1 or 2 in the best cases. he must be referring to some puzzle quest which type doesn't change. There is ONE PUZZLE type quests in Entire game... sin't it? Most original and complex, i wish it was. If you call grinding zombies original, well maybe for you it is original.

Sameer1979

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 2:41:58 PM#93
Originally posted by reanor

Ok the title of the thread is a statement from Gamer Wolff Bachner in the Inquisitr. Good read and he is deffinitely a fan. According to him TSW is a game changer... As in all MMOs will be different after TSW. Check it out.
'I will simply say that The Secret World is the most original and complex MMORPG I have ever played. It is the first game that actually challenged me to really think instead of just timing a 3 button rotation to kill monsters over and over'.

'I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. If you are a gamer, you want to play The Secret World'.
http://www.inquisitr.com/233552/the-hottest-mmorpgs-to-play-this-summer-the-secret-world/#ZTcMKqZ4IUvQTjk7.99

I must be playing a different game because I run into many many quests that tell me to go this place and then kill 37 zombies then go that place and kill 12 zombies, oh yeah names of mobs change that I've noticed too. Sarcasm aside he sounds like a fanboy. The combat is so boring its not even funny and I wish I've had to click 3 buttons on rotation, unfortunately I just click 1 or 2 in the best cases. he must be referring to some puzzle quest which type doesn't change. There is ONE PUZZLE type quests in Entire game... sin't it? Most original and complex, i wish it was. If you call grinding zombies original, well maybe for you it is original.

And you sound like someone who never played the beta and just making stuff up and bumping  old topics to get attention. 7 quests in starting area hardly makes the entire game linear. It is still a starting areas and all starting areas are nothing more than tutorials. There are no  linear hub style quests in TSW. Stop making shit up.

But you are right you have been playing a different game..no doubt.

Kaocan

Novice Member

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.

6/14/12 3:05:21 PM#94

Any chance you can drop the made up stuff from your posts please? For anyone on here who has played this game already, it just makes you look really bad. If you dont like the game, just sit on the side lines. Making up lies to get a response from people really does nothing more than make everyone believe you're a liar. Just saying. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Devilock

Novice Member

6/14/12 3:43:48 PM#95
Originally posted by Kaocan

Any chance you can drop the made up stuff from your posts please? For anyone on here who has played this game already, it just makes you look really bad. If you dont like the game, just sit on the side lines. Making up lies to get a response from people really does nothing more than make everyone believe you're a liar. Just saying. 

/signed           {COMBAT MESSAGE}  Reanor loses 1500 points credibility

reanor

Novice Member

Ba-na-na!

6/14/12 3:49:14 PM#96

Lies? During the Beta I've played 95% of the quests I've done I had to go and kill some kind of zombies. I've played the game for about 2 hours and got tired of doing similar stuff. Finally I got to police station and guess what, she sent me to quests that made me kill more zombies. I am calling them all zombies is that what you call lies? Most of the mobs are walking dead creatures. Then the guy in chruch sent me to kill more zombies. Oh yeah, I had a quest to find a piece of paper on the ground, but to get there I had to kill more groups of zombies. So where am I lying?

cutthecrap

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 3:54:23 PM#97

Lies? During the Beta I've played 95% of the quests I've done I had to go and kill some kind of zombies. I've played the game for about 2 hours and got tired of doing similar stuff. Finally I got to police station and guess what, she sent me to quests that made me kill more zombies. I am calling them all zombies is that what you call lies? Most of the mobs are walking dead creatures. Then the guy in chruch sent me to kill more zombies. Oh yeah, I had a quest to find a piece of paper on the ground, but to get there I had to kill more groups of zombies. So where am I lying?

It's obvious from every word you post that you haven't played more than like 2 hours, obvious to anyone who has played longer and bc of it knows the ignorance of your words.

So no, you're not lying, your experience after all doesn't reach farther than 2 hours. People who have played far longer than you are merely stating how ignorant you are  of what players will encounter after a simple 2 hours

You might want to check the TSW official site and look up the monster pages and location pages to get an impression, just a suggestion. Then again, you already repeatedly stated that you've moved on, or intended to.

Aerowyn

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 4:00:30 PM#98
Originally posted by cutthecrap

It's obvious from every word you post that you haven't played more than like 2 hours, obvious to anyone who has played longer and bc of it knows the ignorance of your words.

So no, you're not lying, your experience after all doesn't reach farther than 2 hours. People who have played far longer than you are merely stating how ignorant you are  of what players will encounter after a simple 2 hours

there is a good variety in quest in this game but there are lots of kill x types as well.. it's just nice they mixed it up a bit. Honestly though some of the kill x quests got annoying for instance the guy on top of the station gives you the quest to kill things on the beach which is like 6 tiers or so and each tier is kill x then kill x of the guys standing 5 feet away from the ones you just killed. Then theres the mass grave kill x quests then the kill the named guys all over the map. There's others but my issue is the kill x ones were like 5 or 6 tiers of killing mobs which got boring. At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

cutthecrap

Apprentice Member

6/14/12 4:10:29 PM#99
Originally posted by Aerowyn
At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

Like you yourself also already stated, no, there aren't just kill quests, far from - it'd be like saying that GW2 has only kill quests bc a number of quests require you to fill your kill quotum - as the many other types of quests are proof of. And next to that, it's even more nonsense to conclude that TSW is all about killing zombies, ignoring all the other creature types that you'll encounter everywhere in TSW.

I'd even go so far to say that the monster mobs are among the most interesting and admirable ones I've seen done in an MMO, quite ingenious ones that can be encountered.

cooper85

Novice Member

6/14/12 4:16:09 PM#100
Originally posted by cutthecrap
Originally posted by Aerowyn
At least there is enough other quests sprinkled in to get things interesting though... but honestly to say there is no traditional kill x quests in this game is a lie(which I have heard some people claim)  and they continue well into the later zones.

Like you yourself also already stated, no, there aren't just kill quests, far from - it'd be like saying that GW2 has only kill quests bc a number of quests require you to fill your kill quotum - as the many other types of quests are proof of. And next to that, it's even more nonsense to conclude that TSW is all about killing zombies, ignoring all the other creature types that you'll encounter everywhere in TSW.

I'd even go so far to say that the monster mobs are among the most interesting and admirable ones I've seen done in an MMO, quite ingenious ones that can be encountered.

Each name mob is a mini boss with 4-6 different abilities. 

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search