Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Heroes of the Storm

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,182 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,986
Darkfall (DFO)
Aventurine SA
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 02/22/09)  | Pub:AudioVisual Enterprises
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Darkfall Forum » General Discussion » Important announcement on Monday!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
48 posts found
  Biskop

Novice Member

9/18/12 9:08:05 AM#41
Just like AV to screw up a simple announcement.. These guys are really a parody of themselves by now.
  MadnessRealm

Hard Core Member

Ignorance is Bliss.

9/18/12 10:51:21 AM#42
Originally posted by afhn2110

Game is far from a failure, the company behind it is...but the game is amazing.  If you are looking for a sandbox mmo, with hardcore pvp that has meaning, a great political siege system...this is the game...its great.  The only problem is the company behind it just has pathetic customer service and they really do lie, constantly and they don't really care how bad they look when they do.  The first time I ever saw them apolagize was the other day when they said sorry the Q&A was delayed, but they are making a big announcement Monday and their attention was on that...then Monday came with no announcement...nice.

DarkFall is merely a shadow of what it was supposed to be. Why players left within the first 1/2 years wasn't entirely because of Aventurine, but because of how the game is set up. Pre-made location for for Cities and Hamlets, broken alignement system, broken skill system that encouraged macro'ing, cheating, exploiting in order to get stronger, no diversity in character builds - everyone's a mage-archer-warrior, cheap escape mecanism breaking combat (bunnyhopping, although that was mostly discovered after a year and a half), etc. Large amount of PvE grind required to be viable.

*The alignement system and the skill system were fixed both twice after 2 years of waiting (Chaos Church + Lawless Areas, Reduced gain against players + increase gains to all skills, Meditation system).

DarkFall promised a real sandbox experience, but what is actually left is closer to a  themepark without restrictions. A game that was supposed to give the tools to their players to control racial politics (controlling NPC Cities and using Guard NPCs to choose which people to let in or KoS), Hireable Merchant and Guard NPCs for your city, a game with little grind and more focus on PvP with real risk vs reward through Localized Banking, a skill system that would open or close the door to some other skills based on skill selection (Fire Magic would lock Water Magic for example), etc.

So while Aventurine itself did cause a lot of players to leave, the state of DarkFall was the major reason why players left within the first 2 years. It's hardly a sandbox experience, it's just a PvE game with FFA PvP.

------
Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

TobiasGrey

Apprentice Member

9/18/12 1:46:31 PM#43
Originally posted by Gamefun
Originally posted by TobiasGrey
Originally posted by Blindchance
DF is still online ? Do they get money from Greek EU financial help fund to keep it afloat or what ? AV and SV are easily the biggest gaming disappointments.

Uh... Darkfall has expanded quite a bit. Its a big enough success story for the devs to have moved into a bigger office, gotten publishering partners, expanded to 3 other countries, opened a second server, hired 30 new employees, and entirely remade the game.

Don't see how they were a disappointment.

A game that died like three weeks after release, a company full of incompetent employees and rude moderators is enough disappointment, not to mention the disappointment with this so called announcement that should of been out yesterday or today, and yet today is almost gone.

Aventurine's professionalism is terrible, the worst I have ever seen. Tasos is the most incompetent leader I have ever seen in the gaming industry. Darkfall may have expanded, but its players left long ago due to one disappointment after another.

Are you in some sort of delusional fantasy land? If all the players left Darkfall 3 weeks after release, then how exactly has it expanded so successfully? If the developers are so bad, how did they manage to create an engine that succeeds where 300 million dollar MMOs failed?

They don't have good weekly communication all the time, that hardly makes the game or company bad.

No I'm not delusional, just a realist. I played the game from EU beta to NA release. I know what I'm talking about. I was there day one. Theres barely anyone playing it anymore, such a small amount that you can't even do sieges. Most of the big clans are gone or have left.

You haven't played in over 3 years, yet you pretend to know how the game is doing NOW? Oh man, there's a hole in your logic the size of a small planet.

So if everyone left, how did AV become this successful? Mafia?

TobiasGrey

Apprentice Member

9/18/12 1:50:53 PM#44
Originally posted by MadnessRealm
DF is still online ? Do they get money from Greek EU financial help fund to keep it afloat or what ? AV and SV are easily the biggest gaming disappointments.

Uh... Darkfall has expanded quite a bit. Its a big enough success story for the devs to have moved into a bigger office, gotten publishering partners, expanded to 3 other countries, opened a second server, hired 30 new employees, and entirely remade the game.

Oh c'mon, you can't be serious?

DarkFall is a complete and utter failure. Ok let's see where you're going with this. The expansion of their company was done the same year as Launch (2009). Not true, they've been steadily hiring new people each year.  My memory is a little vague, but the game launched in February, and AV changed office around April or May I believe. Incorrect. They didn't get a bigger office until the following year. Suffice to say, it was within the first 6 months that they changed office and grew their company. Doubly wrong. The NA-1 Server was also launched the same year,  July 2009, after being delayed once or twice. It didn't get delayed, but yes it launched the same year, and brought a lot of new players to the game.  Again, within 6 months of the release of the game. They made a fair amount of money with the launch sales which allowed them to run fairly well for a while. So you think that launch sales was enough to sustain the company this long? Just launch sales? Are you out of your mind? If they hadn't been getting ANY income since then they would have closed servers, fired people, moved back to smaller offices, not continued to expand. As for the "partners", there's only 1 for Asia : MGame, which was found this or last year.

Your version of "failure" is better than most people's understanding of success. Aventurine has grown over time. Darkfall has grown over time. Meanwhile, Rift, SWTOR, WAR, AoC, Aion, and all the other big MMOs that launched around the same time, shrank over time, closed servers, lost staff, and didn't expand.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

9/18/12 1:57:30 PM#45

A game that died like three weeks after release, a company full of incompetent employees and rude moderators is enough disappointment, not to mention the disappointment with this so called announcement that should of been out yesterday or today, and yet today is almost gone.

Aventurine's professionalism is terrible, the worst I have ever seen. Tasos is the most incompetent leader I have ever seen in the gaming industry. Darkfall may have expanded, but its players left long ago due to one disappointment after another.

Are you in some sort of delusional fantasy land? If all the players left Darkfall 3 weeks after release, then how exactly has it expanded so successfully? If the developers are so bad, how did they manage to create an engine that succeeds where 300 million dollar MMOs failed?

They don't have good weekly communication all the time, that hardly makes the game or company bad.

No I'm not delusional, just a realist. I played the game from EU beta to NA release. I know what I'm talking about. I was there day one. Theres barely anyone playing it anymore, such a small amount that you can't even do sieges. Most of the big clans are gone or have left.

You haven't played in over 3 years, yet you pretend to know how the game is doing NOW? Oh man, there's a hole in your logic the size of a small planet.

Well, that is a really good question, but all accounts I've read, there really aren't many people actually playing on the DF servers right now, are those reports false?  Are there tens of thousands of players currently roaming the servers at this very minute battling away to their hearts content, or are they paying subs but not playing just to keep fundnig the cause?

Were I to sign up and start playing this weekend, would I be blown away by the vast number of people around me, ganking me to the ground?

I mean seriously, the truth is out there....... but what is truth?

"The discrepancy between what we know is possible and what we currently have to choose from is beyond disappointing" - GeezerGamer
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

TobiasGrey

Apprentice Member

9/18/12 2:01:18 PM#46
Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, that is a really good question, but all accounts I've read, there really aren't many people actually playing on the DF servers right now, are those reports false?  Are there tens of thousands of players currently roaming the servers at this very minute battling away to their hearts content, or are they paying subs but not playing just to keep fundnig the cause?

Were I to sign up and start playing this weekend, would I be blown away by the vast number of people around me, ganking me to the ground?

I mean seriously, the truth is out there....... but what is truth?

The truth is that Aventurine didn't live outside their means. They made a niche game on a niche budget. Darkfall cost 1 million to make, over the course of 4 years. They made it with 20 devs. Both servers can hold about 10k players, and they've had a pretty steady stream of players going in and out, trying and buying the game, over 3 years.

If you were to log into NA1 right now, there'd be multiple sieges every night. The only times the population ever lulled were in the summer, and when development news dried up (which was usually in the summer). Population has gone up and down for 3 years, but the game has never been empty.

Now AV is up to 50+ devs and about to launch their 4th expansion. That's a success story. It's the Eve approach, start small and build up.

Gamefun

Apprentice Member

Long Term MMORPG'er. 1999-2012.

9/18/12 4:42:58 PM#47

Perhaps I still play?, have you ever thought of that?. Quick to make things up and judge before you ask?. Where did this "you didn't play for three years crap come from?". Please re-think in your little head before posting nonsense.

sindur

Novice Member

9/24/12 12:31:31 PM#48

I guess he got it from here

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search