Trending Games | Landmark | Villagers and Heroes | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,213 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,006
Alganon (ALG)
Quest Online | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/01/09)  | Pub:Quest Online
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Alganon Forum » General Discussion » Why/How is Alganon still running?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
53 posts found
  bbbmmmlll

Novice Member

8/06/11 2:39:42 PM#41
Originally posted by FrodoFragins

There's absolutely no way that a brand new IP can have the deepest backstory when there are games based on existing IPs with much deeper backstories like LOTR, Star Wars, Warhammer and Conan to name a few.

You're right. I was thinking more along the lines of adding features that catered to those sorts of interests.  Like the artifacts from RIFT, backstory in game books like you find in a lot games, letting players become part of the story like I think they did when the game first launched along the lines of unique items, quests or locations that have character names/stories attached to them. Maybe this is a bad idea as backstory isn't really my thing. I'm just trying to figure out what makes Alganon special. But we're in agreement that they need to find it and emphasize it.

kakasaki

Novice Member

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

8/17/11 5:38:22 PM#42

Wow. Been quiet on here. How's the game going?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

OP  8/24/11 2:26:06 AM#43

I judge an MMO based on how long I play before quitting.

WOW - gradually reached level cap on vanilla and then discovered the life suck that is raiding.

LOTRO - gradually reached level cap on vanilla.  Raced on expansions

AoC: Only started playing when they went F2P.  Lost interest in the gateway of Khitai area around level 34

Forsaken World:  Been playing a few days and am at lvl 24, will probably stick with it until I need to grind levels

Runes of Magic: Dual leveled to around 20 and got bored.  Leveling two classes became very tedious

EQ2: Bought on release to ease WOW boredom and quit in the teens.  I really just didn't like how the game felt or looked.

Alganon: Couldn't stand it after about 6 levels.  Wonky animations, movement and combat.  It's like WOW with severe brain trauma.

The F2P market is really competitive and I expect games like Star Trek Online and Warhammer to join the ranks in the next year.  Add in two big budget games that are likely to take a million+ subscribers away from the juggernaut WoW and it's not looking good for this IP.

Games like Rift and to a lesser extent Forsaken World have had success with cloning WOW.  Alganon really didn't have the budget to try that route. 

Strafingmir

Novice Member

9/12/11 2:38:44 AM#44

Warhammer and Rift are generally the only games i view as Competition to WoW. As much as i've flamed and been flamed at by Smart in the past, no i wont reveal my identity. Alganon got a bad wrap, it's not bad. From the sounds of it it's being fixed and was an absolute mess before the investors grabbed the reins to stear it in a profitable direction.  A year or so and it could be a prime contender in the F2P with a Cash shop market.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

OP  9/12/11 12:06:21 PM#45
Originally posted by Strafingmir

Warhammer and Rift are generally the only games i view as Competition to WoW. As much as i've flamed and been flamed at by Smart in the past, no i wont reveal my identity. Alganon got a bad wrap, it's not bad. From the sounds of it it's being fixed and was an absolute mess before the investors grabbed the reins to stear it in a profitable direction.  A year or so and it could be a prime contender in the F2P with a Cash shop market.

A year or so from now? 

I've never heard of a struggling F2P game later becoming successful.  P2P games can change to the F2P model and garner success, but Alganon already went through that change and it didn't seem to make a big difference.  They'd possibly get more players if they changed their model so that players can level to the cap but need to buy content or cosmetics at max level.  Their current model is almost identical to WOWs free trial, you just get an extra ten levels in your trial.

I'd be curious to hear why you think Alganon can turn things around.  What does it offer that would get people to play it instead of AoC, DDO, LOTRO, Runes of Magic, Allods or Forsaken World?

User Deleted
8/15/12 7:39:54 PM#46

I think it's release during the hay-day of that other title had more to do with Alganon's current state than a lack of entertainment value.

I really enjoyed the beta and intended to buy it.

Honestly!

Which is unusual for me.

I should add - that at the time there were no major or relevant flaws in my opinion, the game ran fine, looked fine and was pretty standard-fair MMO content but "new."

Thorqemada

Hard Core Member

8/15/12 7:49:05 PM#47

Alganon is technically way behind its competition (at best it feels like a 2002 game), was badly mismanaged by the original game director and is based on wrong market predictions (trying to get into the most competed market in the mmo space, the wow-fantasy-clones).
A fundamental tenfold better game like Rift can not scratch WoW a lasting scar and struggles ahead with maybe 200k of players so Alganon may be lucky if it has 20k.
Though, when the game is done and the servers running the upkeep is manageable if you write off to get a significant roi.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
MWO Community Warfare - BETA Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yipq9vOTt-k

ZekkCC

Apprentice Member

8/15/12 7:50:25 PM#48
Is this really a game?
  lizardbones

Hard Core Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

8/15/12 8:01:56 PM#49

Originally posted by Cinatrot
I think it's release during the hay-day of that other title had more to do with Alganon's current state than a lack of entertainment value.

I really enjoyed the beta and intended to buy it.

Honestly!

Which is unusual for me.

I should add - that at the time there were no major or relevant flaws in my opinion, the game ran fine, looked fine and was pretty standard-fair MMO content but "new."

This is what I've heard about the game from others. It's fine for what it is, but there is a lot of what it is out there to choose from.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Kothoses

Advanced Member

8/15/12 8:07:33 PM#50

In fairness the turnaround in quality of product is noticable in relative terms to where it was before our occasionally antagonistic friend took over.

If you dont mind my saying as a watcher and bit part commentator on the MMO Scene what Alganon really needs is 2 things right now.

A Re-imaging and I dont mean in the terms of the new batman films, but image sticks in public perception some more focused community outreach and co-ordination could do wonders to help turn around the perceptions (right or wrong) of this games trajectory.  As momentum is everything when it comes to getting player buy-in (Time and emotionwise which is what matters more, cash will follow these regardless) the perception of a downward trajectory is one that will not benifit anyone.

A unique selling point, what is Alganons unique selling point, what part of its experience will bring me away from my comfort zone challenge me as a player and give me that "First mmo feeling" which is what everyone is chasing.

These are the questions I would look to answer, and Mr Smart I have watched your good and bad debates over the past few years and if you dont mind me saying, the calmer approach you are showing now is a fantastic step up from the facades of the past.  I hope people give you another chance and I hope you prove that this is a consistent change, but my advice to you would be get some one onboard who can really reach out and build a pro-active community for you.  Because all the content in the world wont buy you that on its own.

I wish you and QOL the best of luck in moving to an upwards trajectory and getting something back from this because the fact it is still going is a testiment to the fact that the peeople behind the scenes do care about the game.   

I hope... this change of tact isnt just temporary for the current convention season but a sign of a more stable and balanced approach to community and public relations.  Anyway good luck!

Promoting thought a new Gaming video blog http://www.youtube.com/user/quinnthalas discussing games, gamers and the internet with gameplay footage as background.

sr7olsniper

Novice Member

8/16/12 3:59:50 AM#51
way to bring a thread back from the dead

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

User Deleted
7/08/13 1:45:23 AM#52
Originally posted by sr7olsniper
way to bring a thread back from the dead

kind of like how Derek Smart brought alganon back from the dead!

sorry couldn't resist,

but since its necroed again.

how on earth is this game still running?  cant be more than 10-20 who play and its free now...

nariusseldon

Elite Member

8/15/13 9:23:07 PM#53
is it still running?
3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search