Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,530 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,990
Sony Online Entertainment
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 04/28/09)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
Distribution:Browser | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:$04.99
Browser Game| ESRB:E10+Out of date info? Let us know!

Free Realms Forum » General Discussion » Free Realms not so free anymore...

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
52 posts found
  Daffid011

Old School

5/10/10 8:51:24 AM#41

I think there is a middle ground that isn't being addressed.

Sure soe has said the Free in Free Realms was for freedom of gameplay, but at the same time they infrequently addressed that aspect of the game in comparison to how much the addressed the pricing model.  In my opinion they were playing very fast and loose with the name of the game. 

Almost every breath out of their mouth was about how the game was free Free FREE!  Even though a decent portion of the game was only available to subscribers it was all about free to play and the game can almost be fully explored in about an hour or two.  Occassionaly they would mention the freedom of the game, but that always seemed to come in response to direct questions about the name of the game. 

In the end it is obvious free realms was not doing well. 

almightyme

Novice Member

5/11/10 9:55:12 PM#42

Hypocrites!  If your going to include "Free"  in your game name, then the game should be free.  Of course, I understand that revenue needs to come into the game to keep it going, but still there are other solutions.  

glofish

Novice Member

5/19/10 10:42:04 PM#43

Two things first. Game companies need to make money, I am not disputing that. Also $5 a month is a very low price, anyone even remotely interested in the game could afford that.

The statements above still do not justifiy using false or misleading advertising.

This game was always advertised as a Free to play game where you could play as long as you wanted to,  and where  microtransactions would confer various bonuses. Now that they reneged on that promise they may interpret "Free Realms" as the game where you are free to be all you want to be but that does not change the fact is in the standard US terminology: free food, free beer, free stuff always means things that you do not have to pay for. The term FREE is never used to refer to cheap stuff, a demo or trial account.

Free Realms is boring game with a misleading name made by an inept company. That is why they don't make enough money.

blackthornn

Novice Member

OMG I'm not temp banned again? WTF?? This day does end in Y right?

5/19/10 10:57:46 PM#44

Final Fantasy wasn't so final,  the Neverending Story ended, the Last Crusade wasn't, etc.

glofish

Novice Member

5/20/10 6:51:19 AM#45
Originally posted by blackthornn

Final Fantasy wasn't so final,  the Neverending Story ended, the Last Crusade wasn't, etc.

This is a straw man argument.

Neither of these titles suggest that you don't have to pay "real" money for them.

Free Realms is a lot closer to  bait-and-switch

1. advertise a product or service at an unprofitably low price
  2. then reveal to customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute is
  EverSkelly

Novice Member

5/20/10 7:06:26 AM#46

I believe they also have a cash shop available in that game. Well, that's SOE, nothing new. Good thing i never played free realms and never will. But seriously, SOE is getting worse every day.

Daffid011

Old School

5/20/10 10:04:51 AM#47

Well the whole industry is getting worse everyday, but some have a huge headstart of the competition.

Ralsar

Novice Member

5/25/10 8:58:48 PM#48

What a weird thread.  They marketing for this game has always been a place where you are free to do whatever you want.  Hence, Free Realms.  I guess I can understand getting confused by thinking the game was free in the monetary sense, but honestly who in their right mind would expect a completely free product?  There is enough free content for anyone to play for a month or two and find out if the $5 a month is worth it (or about $3 a month with the yearly plan).

Daffid011

Old School

5/25/10 11:40:25 PM#49
Originally posted by Ralsar

What a weird thread.  They marketing for this game has always been a place where you are free to do whatever you want.  Hence, Free Realms.  I guess I can understand getting confused by thinking the game was free in the monetary sense, but honestly who in their right mind would expect a completely free product?  There is enough free content for anyone to play for a month or two and find out if the $5 a month is worth it (or about $3 a month with the yearly plan).

Actually the game was heavily marketed as free to play more than it was about free to do whatever you want.  That of course was when the game was free to play without a subscription.

Keep in mind the target audience for this game is children and blasting free to play across the screen in commercials on cartoon network is going to give children the notion that the game is free.  SOE played fast and loose with their definition of why the game was called free realms. 

Tardcore

Apprentice Member

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to post."

5/25/10 11:48:04 PM#50

"The first ones Free Realms kid."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

ScribbleLay1

Novice Member

11/08/10 7:09:26 PM#51

The way I see it is if they charge after a certain level then they charge, no big deal.  My 5 year old loves to play and all he does is run around and jump and drive the cars, I don't think he even made one level yet, but as long as he is having safe fun and he knows what he is doing, I would pay his sub.

KhinRunite

Novice Member

4/15/11 3:01:40 AM#52

This "Free to play" Free Realms is the OLD Free Realms. It's gone now. Stop trying to attach "Free to play" with the title. SOE changed its business strategy with this game and they gave reasons for doing so (ie. nobody's buying from the item shop so there's no revenue). Luckily for them, the word FREE still applies to the game because the player is given a virtual sense of freedom (e.g. free to do whatever you want).

There's no more reason to spout stuff like "Oh but SOE said that this game is supported only by item shop etc etc", because that's already obsolete and teh change has already been justified. Now if you choose not to believe them and settle with your conspiracy theory then its a whole different discussion.

I'm gonna do some more research. If I see or hear anywhere SOE still advertising this game as a fully free game I'd also be calling out 'Foul!' I don't live in America so I don't have access to non web-based advertisements.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search